Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Options

Comments

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    DarthRozay wrote: »
    You could tell they didn't have a plan outlined just by the contradictions between ep 7 and ep 8 on what they were implying was important. 7 had a lot of importance placed on snoke and how powerful he was, and asking who rey was, where she came from, who her parents were, why'd they leave her, etc. etc. and those were all brushed aside in ep 8 in one way or another

That’s not true st all
    DarthRozay wrote: »
    You could tell they didn't have a plan outlined just by the contradictions between ep 7 and ep 8 on what they were implying was important. 7 had a lot of importance placed on snoke and how powerful he was, and asking who rey was, where she came from, who her parents were, why'd they leave her, etc. etc. and those were all brushed aside in ep 8 in one way or another

That’s not true st all

The writer and director of the movie literally says he didn't have an outline for the movie.
    (Luscas film/Disney gave him free creative reign)

He basically said he wasn't going to waste his time aka movie exploring or building on the deeper mysteries of who,what and why that the previous film brought up.

Which is why the mystery and intrigue of Snoke (who was he,where did he come from? If he wasn't a Sith Lord exactly what was he??) and Rey's parentage wasn't built on and were so quickly swept a side

The third movie should at leat gives a flashback or a back story on how snoke turned Ben to the dark side. Snoke isn't that important for a back story in these films . maybe they can tell that story through other media like a novel or something. It was good that he got killed too . sithnlords usually ? their masters to ascend so that worked out fine for the story. Kilo killed him in the perfect moment. Yeah I accept the reveal of rays parents space junkies who sold her for for space ?
  • Splackavelli
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »
    (ob)Scene wrote: »
    Episode 7 didn't put any importance on Snoke if you really sit down and watch the thing. The fans own intrigue did that. Dude was barely in the movie at all or spoken about.

Matter of fact...
    He was explored so pitifully and minimally in the previous movie that killing him here was without a doubt the best decision. Anything else would have felt like shoehorning faux importance onto him.

True. We as fans expected there to be so much more to him because of the importance placed on prior Sith lords, not particularly because he as a character was so important.
    Even further, I just watched John Campea make the point that we've gotten just as much if not more more development on Snoke than we ever got of the emperor in the original trilogy. And people loved him even prior to us getting the backstory from the prequals. Which is true as hell.

Its true less is more. The emperor was scary to me as a kid because we knew so little about him. Smoke had that same affect in the last Jedi . when kylo brought rey to him I didn't know what was gonna happen I was on the edge of my seat.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    Y'all really liked this ? , bruh how I was unimpressed, where the hell are they going with this ? .

This aint your daddy's star wars...lol

Its a divisive movie to some and i understand why some of yall might not like it, its pretty fair that it fall into two camps..
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    Y'all really liked this ? , bruh how I was unimpressed, where the hell are they going with this ? .

Its a divisive movie to some and i understand why some of yall might not like it, its pretty fair that it fall into two camps..

I like Force Awakens it was going in a good direction, the plot and direction of this movie were all over the ? place bruh.
  • fortyacres
    edited December 2017
    Options

I like Force Awakens it was going in a good direction, the plot and direction of this movie were all over the ? place bruh.

I think Rian Johnson was mainly concern about character arcs and development of Rey, Kylo, Luke & Leia which happened to be the best writing and acting in the film and everything else had to be just included because it was introduced in Force Awakens, and didnt care for that.

i personally think it was great because it was bold and took risks in subverting the star wars norms , its a star wars that i didnt know i needed. It may not fit neatly into Star Wars creed but i think it gives fans something better. Great movie making and great performances more than any other star wars movies.

I also think its the "LOST" syndrome where JJ Abrams starts something and sets up a great mystery but will let someone else try and figure it out without even telling them what it is.
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    I gave myself a couple of days to process it all, but I'm convinced...The Last Jedi is currently my fave out of all the movies...didn't see that coming...
  • Splackavelli
    Options

I liked it but I wish they did more with Luke I wanted to see an actual light saber duel between him and kylo. They kind of gave us that with that stick battle between him ad ray and judging from that scene the old man can move.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    No one says “I have a bad feeling about this.”
  • fortyacres
    Options
    No one says “I have a bad feeling about this.”

bb8
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    So I saw this last night.Thoughts and questions.

1. IDK how I feel about it.It's somewhere between jumping the shark and being cinematic genius
    2. I think I need to see it again,because everything is so epic that it puts you in shock to events on the 1st watch.
    3. Finn and Rose's part doesn't bother me like reviews say.
    4. Is Luke dead and if so,could have been better,but maybe I was in Star wars shock
    5. Snoke wasn't really that big of deal.We needed to know more about him.He ain't do ? .
    6. Rey being nobody is kinda cool.I like that twist and the whole mirror room thing is kinda deep.
    7. Maybe Snoke wanted to get killed like the Emperor in Return Of The Jedi.That's kind of their thing.
    8. Hux is mad funny.When he was about to ? Kylo that made me laugh.He is hilarious to me.
    9. Leia !!!!! May the force be w/ you
    10. I wish we had more time to know Dern's character,but that scene was crazy.best scene in the movie to me.
    11. I loved all the call backs
    12. Some of the early jokes like Finn falling didn't work,but I liked the Po intro joke.Some of the rey on the island jokes didn't land for me either.
    13. about 30 mins in the movie really gets in it's groove and feels like a Star wars movie
    14.I get why they had jokes because this movie is pretty dark .The rebels are ? up in the game.mad ppl died
    15.So if Rey is The last Jedi,we're gonna need some more jedi
    16.I hope Finn is a Jedi.He did fight pretty good against Kylo
    17.RIP Phasma
    18.So nobody saw camera footage or something of Kylo killing Snoke,or do they just not give a ? ?Or they're too scared of Kylo to ? w/ him ?
    19.Why can't force ghosts fight the villains if they can set ? on fire w/ lightning.? could have came in handy before.
    20.I know Finn likes Rey,but a relationship w/ a chick w/ the force seems like bad idea.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I gave myself a couple of days to process it all, but I'm convinced...The Last Jedi is currently my fave out of all the movies...didn't see that coming...

movie-gifs-262-1.gif?w=560
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    ^^ surprised me too. *shrugs

considering I didn't have a fave before watching it...ah well.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll say it...If Finn was white they (the movie writers/director/producers) wouldn't be so hesitant to hook him up romantically with Rey.

They were clearly heading in that direction toward the end of FW.

But I knew they chickened out on that angle once I seen Rose give him kiss and then him and Rey ran into each other arms after reuniting...and they did that weakass friendzone hug......

Hero-Charles-Ramsey-Dead-Giveaway-Reaction-Gif.gif
  • Nomad1
    Nomad1 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Worst one out of all story wise. Lots of missed humor but overall a poor movie. They need to decide which story they want to tell and tell it. I'm out on this & won't see the next movie unless it's kodi or something...and I was a life long star wars fan novels and all
  • dallas' 4 eva
    Options
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm just here to talk about how trash episode 8 was.
    It's actually worse than phantom menace.

This was the first star wars movie where i was bored after 10minutes.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »

The only thing I'll give this movie is it's the best looking movie in the series, other than that ? was trash.
  • fortyacres
    Options

its your opinion but gtfoh , phantom menace really ? .
  • Agrv2385
    Agrv2385 Members Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As for the film’s arch villain Supreme Leader Snoke (Andy Serkis), many fan theories were thrown out the window when the new trilogy’s Emperor-like figure was summarily taken out by Kylo Ren.

“When I was working on the character of Kylo, I came to a place where I thought the most interesting thing would be to knock the shaky foundation out from under him at the beginning of this movie,” Johnson said. “By the end of this film, he’s gone from being a wannabe Vader to someone who is standing on his own feet as a complex villain taking the reins. It’s a really good setup going into the next movie. But then the question is: What place would Snoke have at the end of that? That made me realize the most interesting thing would be to eliminate that dynamic between the ‘emperor’ and pupil, so that all bets are off going into the next one. That also led to the possibility of this dramatic turn in the middle, which could also be a really powerful connection point between Kylo and Rey.”

For those who now feel disappointed knowing that their Snoke theory sucked, take heart as Johnson feels your pain. Especially if you thought he was the Darth Plagueis mentioned by Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith.

“I do think it’s interesting,” Johnson explained. “I never want to poo-poo the fans coming up with theories. It’s part of the fun of being a Star Wars fan. If there is a place for it in another story, I hope it gets told. It would have stopped any of these scenes dead cold if he had stopped and given a 30-second speech about how he’s Darth Plagueis. It doesn’t matter to Rey. If he had done that, Rey would have blinked and said, ‘Who?’ And the scene would have gone on… And I’m not saying he’s Darth Plagueis

• twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw it last night, I thought it was ok, nothing memorable.

Don't like Finn: He's still 12 years a space slave, he's still a Stumbling & Bumbling with an Asian sidekick.

Not feeling Kylo either: Despite having the force, no one seems to respect or be afraid of him.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    Options
    Sooooo what was the point of Snoke then?
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

First 10 minutes was a spaceship fight so how is that possible?
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Phantom menace? Lmao foh.

That horse ? should never be mentioned.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    Whiteys on YouTube tearin this ? apart saying it’s terrible. Most of the complaints is that it’s “Social Justice Wars” so I take that as basically they feel like they don’t have a white male hero to latch onto.

What sayest thou, IC? Should I catch a matinee on my day off or nah?

Go watch it in Imax 3D. It's worth it.

? it... copped the imax 3D joint for the first time (and last time) ever. I didn’t realize you actually gotta wear 3D glasses too.

Swagless thick black rimmed joints and I been growin out a struggle beard lookin like Wyatt Cenac in this ? . This movie better be good

Lol. You need them for the 3d effects.