Denzel Washington: Don't Blame The Prison System, 'It Starts At The Home'

Options

Comments

• okaay
    okaay Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CapitalB wrote: »
    its another group of people who say ? like “well i never had a problem wit the police so ‘them people’ must be doin somethin wrong.”

say ? like “well i made it they have no excuse.”

yeh..
    u ? is BACs.

But we ain’t talking about police though are we?

We ain’t talking about who made it out and who didn’t are we?

We talking about black people being held accountable for how our lives turn out.

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    okaay wrote: »
    its another group of people who say ? like “well i never had a problem wit the police so ‘them people’ must be doin somethin wrong.”

yeh..
    u ? is BACs.

We talking about black people being held accountable for how our lives turn out.

u aint the brightest crayon in the box are u!!?

and dont think i dont notice u dodgin my posts to u.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sunlord wrote: »
    why are these discussions always so binary

i'd agree character is formed in the home, formed by your environment, by your family. but when those building blocks of character were destroyed/crippled by poverty, chronic unemployment, racism and bad government policy for hundreds of years .... what you get is broken homes for generations

and when you have a justice system that tends to disproportionately police, harass, arrest, punish one segment of the population more than another, you are going to create more broken homes and perpetuate more systemic inequalities

would things be better if parents could do more and ppl made better decisions? yes. obviously. but it's unrealistic to argue the average person can overcome the effects of racism; living in a poor neighborhoods with ? schools and high crime rates; a poor diet..... especially when working class/ poor parents generally lack the time, money and education required to parent efficiently in america

LPast wrote: »
    in this thread we got The Blacks vs The BACs hahaha

Damn I gotta be a bac because I don't depend on white people for my freedom? LMAO...

You make it too easy...

stawp

living in america means appeasing some white folk is required, considering we have to live among quite a few

and don't act like with one false report you couldn't be thrown in prison, or for decades well into the late 40s, after slavery supposedly ended, blk ppl by the thousands arrested and thrown into prison or labor camps for "crimes" such as homelessness or loitering

it's about holding the systems and ppl responsible for the creation and outcome of these systems accountable

So it's unrealistic to expect people to be strong??? and not fall to the traps of their environment. History is what it is and that won't change so we cannot keep using history as an excuse. If a parent cannot effectively disciple their children then it's their fault not the systems and when those children grow up if they continue to ? up then it's their fault not the systems.

THE SYSTEM is unfair but life has never been fair and never will be.

if the system is helping to create and perpetuate broken homes, poverty, etc which produces at risk youth...how can you absolve the system of any blame????

you're oversimplifying the complexities of human agency....failing to properly acknowledge the social forces, relationships, institutions and elements of social structure that work together to shape the thought, behavior and experiences, choices and overall life experiences of ppl

ppl need to be strong, but they also need advocates
  • okaay
    Options

yeh..
    u ? is BACs.

Depends who else in that box!

Which question I avoid? Scroll back up I ain’t dodge ? !
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yeh..
    u ? is BACs.

Same ? I was thinking. I tried typing a response to that MF but I couldn't dumb down my post enough - said ? it.
  • okaay
    Options
    7figz wrote: »

yeh..
    u ? is BACs.

Same ? I was thinking. I tried typing a response to that MF but I couldn't dumb down my post enough - said ? it.

Without asking for help, what I say that was dumb?
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I blame black people because we sold ourselves to be slaves, we created Jim Crow Laws because we couldn't handle being free, we created Cointelpro because we need to be surveillance, we created anti-drug laws because we needed to be controlled, we created the housing bubble and done damage to ourselves and oh we destroyed Wall Street.....

wait..nah that was White Folks, my bad.
  • 7figz
    edited December 2017
    Options

yeh..
    u ? is BACs.

Look at the thread title MF. You can't see how this ? is related to police ?

Right... dumb as ? .
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i understand the im not gonna knock for trying point capitol made. cool... but if u do something that u know the risk off and get caught aint no blaming whitr folk... u take the risk u take the consequence... thats my stance on it. im the most pro black ? u will meet. everything yall saying i know and agree with most of it.
  • sunlord
    sunlord Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    sunlord wrote: »
    why are these discussions always so binary

i'd agree character is formed in the home, formed by your environment, by your family. but when those building blocks of character were destroyed/crippled by poverty, chronic unemployment, racism and bad government policy for hundreds of years .... what you get is broken homes for generations

and when you have a justice system that tends to disproportionately police, harass, arrest, punish one segment of the population more than another, you are going to create more broken homes and perpetuate more systemic inequalities

would things be better if parents could do more and ppl made better decisions? yes. obviously. but it's unrealistic to argue the average person can overcome the effects of racism; living in a poor neighborhoods with ? schools and high crime rates; a poor diet..... especially when working class/ poor parents generally lack the time, money and education required to parent efficiently in america

LPast wrote: »
    in this thread we got The Blacks vs The BACs hahaha

Damn I gotta be a bac because I don't depend on white people for my freedom? LMAO...

You make it too easy...

stawp

living in america means appeasing some white folk is required, considering we have to live among quite a few

and don't act like with one false report you couldn't be thrown in prison, or for decades well into the late 40s, after slavery supposedly ended, blk ppl by the thousands arrested and thrown into prison or labor camps for "crimes" such as homelessness or loitering

it's about holding the systems and ppl responsible for the creation and outcome of these systems accountable

So it's unrealistic to expect people to be strong??? and not fall to the traps of their environment. History is what it is and that won't change so we cannot keep using history as an excuse. If a parent cannot effectively disciple their children then it's their fault not the systems and when those children grow up if they continue to ? up then it's their fault not the systems.

THE SYSTEM is unfair but life has never been fair and never will be.

if the system is helping to create and perpetuate broken homes, poverty, etc which produces at risk youth...how can you absolve the system of any blame????

you're oversimplifying the complexities of human agency....failing to properly acknowledge the social forces, relationships, institutions and elements of social structure that work together to shape the thought, behavior and experiences, choices and overall life experiences of ppl

ppl need to be strong, but they also need advocates

I don't believe the system is doing that..... broken homes are the results of adults making choices that pull them apart. Which then increases the odds of their children growing up in poverty.

I THINK you are undervaluing the personal responsibility of black people you are treating us like children. Only children have their thoughts shaped adults make their lives what they want them to be. There are hurdles in life but you don't blame a hurdle for being a hurdle you simply jump over it and if you fall you get up and jump again.
  • 7figz
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    i understand the im not gonna knock for trying point capitol made. cool... but if u do something that u know the risk off and get caught aint no blaming whitr folk... u take the risk u take the consequence... thats my stance on it. im the most pro black ? u will meet. everything yall saying i know and agree with most of it.

Ain't no way you could be the most pro Black MF when @Ajackson17 schoolin you on the topic.
  • okaay
    Options

yeh..
    u ? is BACs.

Right... dumb as ? .

You sure it ain’t related to mass incarceration?

Maybe your right and I’m the dumb one. Lol, ? Im just kidding it’s you!

• sunlord
    Options
    You ? have your own twist version of what being pro-black is ain't ? pro-black about blaming white people for everything. PRO-BLACK means getting off your ass taking responsibility for yourself and your community and improving your situation so that you can effectively compete with the other races/groups in this world.
  • 7figz
    Options

yeh..
    u ? is BACs.

Right... dumb as ? .

Right... and police have nothing at all to do with incarceration.

Keep diggin' that hole genius.
  • okaay
    Options
    Instead of being wrong yall rather argue a point in which you ain’t wrong about but just has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

• Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im on the outside looking in (white) so dismiss this post if u want

but u all dont think its possible that its a mix of both depending on the situation? the system is rigged definitely, but personal accountability must also play a factor depending on the situation. i been reading every page and its all or nothing from both sides. i dont think its that black & white (no pun intended)

and if u think its ONLY about personal accountability imo ur wrong

i remember moving into my first apartment, was me, my bro, and black friend outside. Cops came up on us and immediately searched my black friend but my bro was the one holding weed (black friend dont smoke or do drugs). Cops asked us what we were doing, NEVER searched ANYONE else. Me and my bro went back upstairs n told everyone what happened like "aint that ? up", black friend didnt make a big deal out of it.

then u gotta also think how far this ? goes back. Slavery, segregation, jim crow, red lining, taking out the black panthers, introducing drugs, war on drugs.

if u were black in the 20's/30's, u were only allowed to live in certain neighborhoods (red lining). this isnt a conspiracy, mortgage loans and zoning permits that specifically read "NEGROES not allowed"

in a city like chicago it seems to be just as segregated as in the 30s.

now u target a group of poor people who have to travel outside their neighborhoods to find work where its a white man denying them jobs, many will resort to crime. There is a correlation between poverty/crime. Its not a gene. Then many of these people get arrested, cant get out and get a job, and are all concentrated back to the same neighborhoods they came from.

honestly.....? u think is gonna happen???
  • okaay
    Options

yeh..
    u ? is BACs.

Right... dumb as ? .

Right... and police have nothing at all to do with incarceration.

Keep diggin' that hole genius.

Oh wow, how I get stuck arguing with you?

We talking about police or lifestyle/events/activity leading up to you ending up in prison?

Clearly you can separate the two, no?

I get it, the police make the arrest 1+1=2, just let me know when you want to stop playing checkers.

• CapitalB
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »

but u all dont think its possible that its a mix of both depending on the situation? the system is rigged definitely, but personal accountability must also play a factor depending on the situation. i been reading every page and its all or nothing from both sides. i dont think its that black & white (no pun intended)

i remember moving into my first apartment, was me, my bro, and black friend outside. Cops came up on us and immediately searched my black friend but my bro was the one holding weed (black friend dont smoke or do drugs). Cops asked us what we were doing, NEVER searched ANYONE else. Me and my bro went back upstairs n told everyone what happened like "aint that ? up", black friend didnt make a big deal out of it.

then u gotta also think how far this ? goes back. Slavery, segregation, jim crow, red lining, taking out the black panthers, introducing drugs, war on drugs.

if u were black in the 20's/30's, u were only allowed to live in certain neighborhoods (red lining). this isnt a conspiracy, mortgage loans and zoning permits that specifically read "NEGROES not allowed"

now u target a group of poor people who have to travel outside their neighborhoods to find work where its a white man denying them jobs, many will resort to crime. There is a correlation between poverty/crime. Its not a gene. Then many of these people get arrested, cant get out and get a job, and are all concentrated back to the same neighborhoods they came from.

DING DING DING!!!

this wigga got more soul then u ? in here who proclaim to be black! smmfh
  • CapitalB
    Options
    so now im in here agreein wir Lesbians ? amd whites. smmfh..
  • CapitalB
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »

nobody sayin dont accept the consequence..

i do what i do..
    made a conscious decision to do so..

if i end up in jail.. aye..
    thats the risk i took..

but how could u blame me!? why would u blame me!?
    i dont expect the white man to understand.. but my ? brother!!?
  • 7figz
    Options
    A damn shame when even a white dude gotta come in here and be more on point with this topic than these dudes.
  • okaay
    Options

DING DING DING!!!

Praise white Jesus!

But he did say personal accountability must play a factor
  • okaay
    Options

DING DING DING!!!

Praise white Jesus!

I wrote more ? than this, it was mad sarcastic! Just know you agreeing with us by praising white Jesus
  • CapitalB
    Options

DING DING DING!!!

Praise white Jesus!

go up two post ? ..
    i speak on this accountability u talkin about.
  • sunlord
    Options

poverty does not cause crime you are making a correlation is causation logical fallacy and even if it did the levels of crime in the black community is out of bounds with the amount poverty we face.

what causes crime is relative poverty which is not the same are poverty