124»

Comments

• bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Chronic
    optimistic wrote: »
    Lefty_ wrote: »
    I like the well thought out titangraphs... but this is simple.

The Chronic changed hip hop forever. Period.

What was different about hip hop after the chronic?

Smoothier beats..better flow

Snoops flow and dres beats during that time were unmatched...it was a smooth form of rap...not some gritty choppy sound
  • bck145
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The Chronic

Well Chronic changed the sound of most HipHop on the Radio, Def Jam snatched up Warren G off of the strength of his production abilities stemming from the Chronic, Ice Cube embraced and switched up his beat selection for Lethal Injection, Biggie used the Formula for his Debut and even more so on his Next Album, You can even hear the Influence in Scarface the Diary. Daz, Warren G, and who knows how many other Ghost producers got a foothold into the game and the sound for the whole 90's changed until from the chronic on along with a new level of Commercial appeal being found in Hip Hop...

But none of these things changed the thing called hip hop. Erick Sermon was using funk beats before Dre. Def jam signing Warren G. just meant they hopped on a wave. What's going on in hip hop now that makes you think "the chronic birthed this"?

Erick sermon wasnt in the same stratosphere as dre

And if the chronic didnt change hip hop then i dont know what did

It certaintly wasnt the genetic sound from ob4cl...just a generic ass new york sound
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bck145 wrote: »

Well Chronic changed the sound of most HipHop on the Radio, Def Jam snatched up Warren G off of the strength of his production abilities stemming from the Chronic, Ice Cube embraced and switched up his beat selection for Lethal Injection, Biggie used the Formula for his Debut and even more so on his Next Album, You can even hear the Influence in Scarface the Diary. Daz, Warren G, and who knows how many other Ghost producers got a foothold into the game and the sound for the whole 90's changed until from the chronic on along with a new level of Commercial appeal being found in Hip Hop...

But none of these things changed the thing called hip hop. Erick Sermon was using funk beats before Dre. Def jam signing Warren G. just meant they hopped on a wave. What's going on in hip hop now that makes you think "the chronic birthed this"?

It certaintly wasnt the genetic sound from ob4cl...just a generic ass new york sound
    .....then you just don't know what did. FYI this isn't about which album changed hip hop
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Chronic
    The Chronic killed the fight the power movement and shifted the balance of power to the west coast.

Hip hop had never been that raw before that album.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only Built For Cuban Linx
    The Chronic killed the fight the power movement and shifted the balance of power to the west coast.

I'll concede that when Nuthin But A G Thing and The Chronic came out Dre ushered in a new sound. The G-Funk beats with the high pitched synthesizers. A lot of West Coast groups gravitated towards that sound. From 92-96 The West Coast was poppin no doubt.

But all that means is that from 1979-2017, the West had a nice 4 year run. Big deal.
  • bck145
    Options
    The Chronic

.....then you just don't know what did. FYI this isn't about which album changed hip hop

No its about what was better....and chronic is much better
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Whats better about it?

The lyrics aren't better.
  • bck145
    edited December 2017
    Options
    The Chronic
    5 Grand wrote: »

Whats better about it?

The sound, song making ability, flow, lyrics, enjoyable to listen to....basically everything
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Whats better about it?

The sound, song making ability, flow, lyrics, enjoyable to listen to....basically everything

Thats your opinion, but The Chronic lost the poll
  • bck145
    Options
    The Chronic

Whats better about it?

Thats your opinion, but The Chronic lost the poll

Thats fine...a lot of ppl have bad opinions around here

Too many hipsters overrating wu tang these days
  • Louis Devinear
    Louis Devinear Members Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What?? Straight outta Compton would like to have a word with you.

Also aside from the production. The songs aren't that great. Just weed and alcohol music.

Let me ride
    Nothing but a g thang
    ? ain't ?

Are the only 3 great songs. The rest of the album is average content wise.

The better comparison was ob4cl vs ?

Production wise this album is one of the greatest ever produced.

Rap/content I'll pass.

S/n ob4cl production wise is no slouch. Rza produced a masterpiece.