Recommend a Non-Fiction Book

Options

Comments

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Has anyone read the book(s) 'History: Fiction or Science' by Anatoly Fomenko?
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Freakonomics

that book is ? ...

i seldom refer to anything as "? "...but its just that
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Stepin Fetchit: The Life and Times of Lincoln Perry by Mel Watkins

Image.ashx?imageID=QZGRWRZEJUOfJcgLoMl6oA&Type=Full

My Soul's High Song by Countee Cullen

519f810ae7a0248e326aa110.L._AA300_.jpg
  • Stoh13
    Stoh13 Members Posts: 104
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Meditations- Marcus aurelius

The great Roman emperor who was known as the Philosopher King writes down his thoughts at the age of 49.

The Seducer's Diary- Soren kierkegaard
    No this isnt some "pick up women" book, but if you love women like i do, and love the study of the mind then this is a must read. The diary of a man who masters the art of making a girl fall in love with him is found by the philosopher Kierkegaard
  • Stoh13
    Stoh13 Members Posts: 104
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Rare_ wrote: »
    Think and Grow Rich-napolen hill...its as good as the bible..will change your entire way of thinking

I do co-sign this book, its really amazing but...*sigh* the person who recommended me to read this book (Some high up suit at 21 century realty) also said this was the bible of business, that is merely because one of the prints of this book has the appearance of the bible. I would have called the guy out on it, but this was around the time i was getting into reading books, so i just shut up and wrote down the titles and authors of most of his books and thought "What a sucker, he has no idea who hes giving this knowledge too!"

That not withstanding he also recommended me to read "The outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell
  • BelovedAfeni
    BelovedAfeni Members Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The autobiography of Malcolm X is like my bible.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The Secret Relationship Between Blacks and Jews - Volume 2 - This book chronicles the post slavery and Reconstruction experience of Black America. It shows step by step how the Southern Jewish community led the charge to dismantle and stifle black progress during the reconstruction era and return them to the shackles of neo-slavery(share cropping and plantations stores), after Blacks had built over 60 independent towns after Slavery and had even elected their own candidates to government. It shows how the Compromise of 1877, which was backed by Southern Jews and Gentiles basically dismantled all black progress and gave whites in the Deep South carte blanche to terrorize blacks, by destroying their towns, lynchings, and other atrocities.

This is not a cheap, racist, rant type of book. It is a very scholarly work that has over 1800 sources that are cited from Jewish Rabbis, Historians, Scholars, as well as actual newspaper and journal quotes and writings from that time period.

You got to know what was to know what is........................
  • Merrykazi
    Merrykazi Members Posts: 12
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I would have called the guy out on it, but this was around the time i was getting into reading books, The Seducer's Diary- Soren kierkegaard
    No this isnt some "pick up women" book, but if you love women like i do, and love the study of the mind then this is a must read.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Hey stranger! :D
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    the Psychology of the Holocaust...

Basically talks about the psychology of children of survivors and how children of holocaust survivors turned out being raised by traumatized parents.
  • And Step
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Hey stranger! :D

(In my best Jay Z voice) - Hey, what up B!
  • And Step
    edited March 2011
    Options
    heyslick wrote: »
    What would you know about anything when you say one thing and then refuse to answer for this
    If Islam has no effect on women’s status, why is the position of women in the Middle East worse than in any other part of the world?

I guess it depends on what you mean by worse. If you think being turned into a glorified play thing for men, and treated like a ? , being ? , battered, and disrespected, likely to be divorced and left alone, with the freedom to spit out murdered fetuses on a metal table because she let some herpes infested pit bull nose having muhfuka run up in her, with 4 kids by 5 different fathers because one child is the result of two sperms from a train that was posted on stankbox.com is better than a woman who will have a stable home with her family intact who may have a little less license and formal education and has to cover herself, then hey I guess............

There is pros and cons to both. By the way, Muslims have had female heads of State. How about you?
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The Selfish Gene-Richard Dawkins

Evolution - Carl Zimmer

Better Never To Have Been-David Benatar (only read some of it online)

Wonders of the African World-Henry Louis Gates Jr.

etc.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    The Selfish Gene-Richard Dawkins

I have this book. highly recommened.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    I have this book. highly recommened.

It was a good book but I remember there was one boring chapter devoted to calculating evolutionarily stable 'strategies'. I skipped ahead, I don't think I ever finished that one.

I can't believe I forgot to add Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama.

I still prefer fiction, especially science fiction.
  • hefty-vulturestatus
    hefty-vulturestatus Members Posts: 811 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Black Mass by John Gray.

Here's a summary from Amazon:

Some readers will see pessimism where others see sober appraisal in Gray's antiutopian argument that we must reconcile ourselves to a world of multiple truths and incompatible freedoms, where there is no overarching meaning and human values and desires can never be fully harmonized. The views that history progresses toward perfection and the millenarian faith in human salvation—both rooted in abiding Christian myths—are as tenacious as they have proven destructive, the renowned British political theorist and critic argues. Building succinctly on arguments developed in his previous work (including Two Faces of Liberalism and Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern), Gray traces the course of apocalyptic-utopian politics from early Christianity through its secular variant in the Enlightenment and into modern political thought from Marx to Francis Fukuyama, the French Revolution to radical Islamism. Centrally, he assails the contemporary American right (and staunch neoconservative fellow traveler Tony Blair), which after 9/11 advanced into the mainstream the utopianism previously confined to the extreme right and left. His eloquent and illuminating attack also challenges a notion common to the liberal establishment: that history moves inexorably toward the universal application of U.S.-style liberal democracy. He calls it a delusional article of faith that, like the utopian variants before it, easily justifies violence in the name of a greater destiny.

If that sounds complicated it's because it's a very, very content heavy book. Bascially it' about the danger of utopian thinking.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The Secret Relationship Between Blacks and Jews - Volume 2 - This book chronicles the post slavery and Reconstruction experience of Black America. It shows step by step how the Southern Jewish community led the charge to dismantle and stifle black progress during the reconstruction era and return them to the shackles of neo-slavery(share cropping and plantations stores), after Blacks had built over 60 independent towns after Slavery and had even elected their own candidates to government. It shows how the Compromise of 1877, which was backed by Southern Jews and Gentiles basically dismantled all black progress and gave whites in the Deep South carte blanche to terrorize blacks, by destroying their towns, lynchings, and other atrocities.

This is not a cheap, racist, rant type of book. It is a very scholarly work that has over 1800 sources that are cited from Jewish Rabbis, Historians, Scholars, as well as actual newspaper and journal quotes and writings from that time period.

you are one of a handful of posters that i follow through w/ ur suggestions. Im checking this one out

and, why vol 2 and not 1. Or both? lol jus curious
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    im currently reading Edmund Morris' The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. Teddy was a ? bad ass.
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    White Racism: A Psychohistory
    by Joel Kovel

African Philosophy During the Period of the Pharaohs 2780-330 bce
    by Theophile Obenga

Texts from the Pyramid Age (Writings from the Ancient World)
    by Ronald J. Leprohon (Editor) Nigel C. Strudwick

Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
    by H. David Coulter

The Live Food Factor: The Comprehensive Guide to the Ultimate Diet for Body, Mind, Spirit & Planet
    by Susan E. Schenck

Egyptian Mysteries: New Light on Ancient Knowledge (Art and Imagination)
    by Lucie Lamy

Chronicles of the Pig & Other Delusions
    by Edward Bruce Bynum ....... these are short poems

In the Blood: ? , Genes and Destiny
    by Steve Jones

Black Genesis: The Prehistoric Origins of Ancient Egypt
    by Robert Bauval

Mdw Dtr: Divine Speech: A Historiographical Reflection of African Deep Thought from the Time of the Pharaohs to the Present
    by Jacob H. Carruthers

these are all good books, i own and read them. but always use your discerning mind
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Right now I'm reading Prometheus Rising by Robert A. Wilson. It's about the human brain and how we think, why we think, and how we can change our thought process which would ultimately change our actions for the better. It's very stimulating. I plan to finish it today.

Here is how Wikipedia describes Prometheus Rising:

Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson is a guide book of "how to get from here to there", an amalgam of Timothy Leary's 8-circuit model of consciousness, Gurdjieff's self-observation exercises, Alfred Korzybski's general semantics, Aleister Crowley's magical theorems, Sociobiology, Yoga, Christian Science, relativity, and quantum mechanics amongst other approaches to understanding the world around us. It claims to be a short book (nearly 300 pages) about how the human mind works and how to get the most use from one. Wilson describes it as an "owner's manual for the human brain".

prometheus_rising.jpg
  • stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Im Currently Reading: The Life of Mahatma Gandhi by Louis Fischer

mahatmagandhi_fischer.jpg

Truely Amazing Book.
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    I'm reading this now...gotta stay ahead of the game...time to use that right side of the brain fellas

wholenewmind-danpink.jpg
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    good drop...youre right, time to use the right side of the brain and consciously secrete the right hormones into the blood stream.

Brain, Mind, and the Structure of Reality
    by Paul L. Nunez

The Brain and the Inner World: An Introduction to the Neuroscience of the Subjective Experience
    by Mark Solms

the authors of the latter book are fans of Freud, but still have valuable info...
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options

I got Volume One back in 2004.

I'll check this one out too.
  • Millions Knives
    Millions Knives Members Posts: 249 ✭✭
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Raw Law: An Urban Guide to Criminal Justice

This new book from Cash Money Content was actually pretty good.