Do people really think Big was a top 5 lyricist?

Options

Comments

• rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    The quesiton isn't "IS" he top 5, it's how can he NOT BE Top 5. Some of you really don't understand how influencial Biggie has been to lyricsim. The fact he has been bitten over and over again from rappers Big and small shows how his lyrics have impacted Hip Hop. Some of the lyricist some of you are saying are better than Big have bitten a Biggie rhyme in one case or another. Some of today's top rappers and even rappers before Big have paid homage or outright taken from his book of rhymes. So the question again is how is an emcee that influenial lyrically not be a Top 5 Lyricist of all time? Biggie lyricism was so ILL cause he got more out of less. While other emcees have to spit encylopedias, Big could spit one sentence and get more out of it.

Lines like "There's going to be a lot of slow singing and flower bringing if my burgalar alarm starts ringing" or "Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thristy". Big's way with words made him extremely lyrical cause of how discriptive he was. His storytelling abilities are almost second to none. Some of the lyricist being mentioned better than Big can't spit a story as discriptive as he can. He played 2 characters on tracks like "Warning and Gimmie the Loot". He spit a love story and tradgedy on "Me and My ? ". Let's not forget a romatic comedy on "I got a story" mind it he spit that without a hook straight through.

The thing about Big's lyricism is he didn't need to do acrobatics to grab the listerner. He had them at hello, his whole catalog is filled with nothing but quoatables. And it didn't matter what track, Big was lyrical on tracks with Tracy Lee and Shaq, he never wasted a bar. Sure Big spit some average lines here or there but you will be hard press to find even a single weak or wack Biggie verse. Yes there are emcees that do certain things better than Big lyrically but when looking at the complete package of his lyrical abilities, it's hard to not see him Top 5, Top 10 at the very least in overall lyricsim So in conclusion, yes Biggie is Top 5 lyricist for the fact he is one of the most influential lyricst of all time.

http://www.xxlmag.com/features/2012/03/bite-me-excerpt-from-the-march-2012-issue/

(XXL's Top 100 Biggie bites)
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The quesiton isn't "IS" he top 5, it's how can he NOT BE Top 5. Some of you really don't understand how influencial Biggie has been to lyricsim. The fact he has been bitten over and over again from rappers Big and small shows how his lyrics have impacted Hip Hop. Some of the lyricist some of you are saying are better than Big have bitten a Biggie rhyme in one case or another. Some of today's top rappers and even rappers before Big have paid homage or outright taken from his book of rhymes. So the question again is how is an emcee that influenial lyrically not be a Top 5 Lyricist of all time? Biggie lyricism was so ILL cause he got more out of less. While other emcees have to spit encylopedias, Big could spit one sentence and get more out of it.

Lines like "There's going to be a lot of flow singing and flower bringing if my burgalar alarm starts ringing" or "Birthdays was the worst days, now we sip champagne when we thristy". Big's way with words made him extremely lyrical cause of how discriptive he was. His storytelling abilities are almost second to none. Some of the lyricist being mentioned better than Big can't spit a story as discriptive as he can. He played 2 characters on tracks like "Warning and Gimmie the Loot". He spit a love story and tradgedy on "Me and My ? ". Let's not forget a romatic comedy on "I got a story" mind it he spit that without a hook straight through.

The thing about Big's lyricism is he didn't need to do acrobatics to grab the listerner. He had them at hello, his whole catalog is filled with nothing but quoatables. And it didn't matter what track, Big was lyrical on tracks with Tracy Lee and Shaq, he never wasted a bar. Sure Big spit some average lines here or there but you will be hard press to find even a single weak or wack Biggie verse. Yes there are emcees that do certain things better than Big lyrically but when looking at the complete package of his lyrical abilities, it's hard to not see him Top 5, Top 10 at the very least in overall lyricsim So in conclusion, yes Biggie is Top 5 lyricist for the fact he is one of the most influential lyricst of all time.

http://www.xxlmag.com/features/2012/03/bite-me-excerpt-from-the-march-2012-issue/

(XXL's Top 100 Biggie bites)

biggie bit rappers lines and ideas as well though
  • talik23
    talik23 Members Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • talik23
    Options

like who?
  • son of 1973
    son of 1973 Members Posts: 769
    Options
    Damn you are some sensitive homotional lil tricks Lyrically Nasir, Kurupt, Mos Def, Rakim, Big L, Gza, Jay-Z, Eminem, Big Pun, Ras Kass, Redman, Pharoahe Monch, Canibus, Kool G Rap, Twista, Treach, Masta Ace, Immortal Tech, etc...

All lyrically superior and that is just off the top of the head...

I'll give you everyone except Treach lol. And Redman was a BIG blueprint a lot of people dont realize, BIG flow was patterned after the Red flow early on, and the dont give a ? Newark ? lyrics prolly influenced BIG too. But BIG did more with less, he was gifted, he did say real sick ? sometimes, cant take that away from him.

• KeepinItHundred
    Options
    talik23 wrote: »

like who?

well there's the cover of ready to die from illmatic
    the '? bleed just like us" line from prodigy
    the 2 girls and the hotel plot in ? bleed from nas, the set up
    g-rap's live and let die album is the blueprint to ready to die also
  • rapmastermind
    Options

like who?

*RTD had a baby and a white back drop, ILLmatic had a 9 year old boy with his projects in the back. The baby on Big's cover wasn't even him, NaS was actually on his cover. They look nothing alike and it was nothing more then Ghost and Rae both hating on Big and they have both acknowledge they regret making "Shark ? ".

*Prodigy Bite Biggie 1st on "Drop a Gem on Em" taking lyrics from "Who Shot Ya", Big only returned the favor.

*"Shoot outs" and "? Bleed" are two completely different stories. Big lays out the plot and supporting characters, the Hotel ? wasn't even the main part of the story where as NaS used it as the main part of his story. Also for the record, Biggie was on the cinematic storytelling before NaS was, "ILLmatic" didn't have cinematic stories, Ready To Die Did. Also it wasn't 2 girls in "? Bleed", it was an asian female and a male jamican.

*Being from New York, I'm sure Big was influenced by G rap in some form but the albums sound nothing alike.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Options
    i always called ? on that illmatic cover thing. Thats sheep ? . ? just blindly repeating and following what Wu said. (even to this day) and historically them Wu ? have been some of the biggest haters we've had. If thats the case any cover with similar artwork. angles. points of view. close ups. fonts and lighting should be called out too because somehow Nas being 9 years old and BIG being an infant are the same thing. Stupid

• KeepinItHundred
    edited March 2012
    Options

like who?

*RTD had a baby and a white back drop, ILLmatic had a 9 year old boy with his projects in the back. The baby on Big's cover wasn't even him, NaS was actually on his cover. They look nothing alike and it was nothing more then Ghost and Rae both hating on Big and they have both acknowledge they regret making "Shark ? ".

*Prodigy Bite Biggie 1st on "Drop a Gem on Em" taking lyrics from "Who Shot Ya", Big only returned the favor.

*"Shoot outs" and "? Bleed" are two completely different stories. Big lays out the plot and supporting characters, the Hotel ? wasn't even the main part of the story where as NaS used it as the main part of his story. Also for the record, Biggie was on the cinematic storytelling before NaS was, "ILLmatic" didn't have cinematic stories, Ready To Die Did. Also it wasn't 2 girls in "? Bleed", it was an asian female and a male jamican.

*Being from New York, I'm sure Big was influenced by G rap in some form but the albums sound nothing alike.

one love last verse is cinematic step by step story telling, so no. plus g-rap was doing it first.
    i'm talking about the set up, not shoot outs
    what did prodigy bite?
    those albums sound nothing alike, but have very similar themes.
    and your right, biggie having a young lightskinned kid with a nappy fro on his cover very original.lol
  • talik23
    Options

g-rap's live and let die album is the blueprint to ready to die also[/quote]

cmon son u gotta reach better than that
  • KeepinItHundred
    Options

cmon son u gotta reach better than that[/quote]

thats not really a reach.
  • nyst8ofmin
    nyst8ofmin Members Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    these top 5's are ? .
    so subjective.
    big is one of my favorite lyricists, no doubt.
  • imMACKulate
    imMACKulate Members Posts: 36
    Options
    when he was ALIVE yeah ...
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn you are some sensitive homotional lil tricks Lyrically Nasir, Kurupt, Mos Def, Rakim, Big L, Gza, Jay-Z, Eminem, Big Pun, Ras Kass, Redman, Pharoahe Monch, Canibus, Kool G Rap, Twista, Treach, Masta Ace, Immortal Tech, etc...

I'll give you everyone except Treach lol. And Redman was a BIG blueprint a lot of people dont realize, BIG flow was patterned after the Red flow early on, and the dont give a ? Newark ? lyrics prolly influenced BIG too. But BIG did more with less, he was gifted, he did say real sick ? sometimes, cant take that away from him.

I never said Biggie was not talented just far overrated, and yall are sleeping on treach he gets into a beast of a zone that few can touch I will throw some examples later...
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Options

I never said Biggie was not talented just far overrated, and yall are sleeping on treach he gets into a beast of a zone that few can touch I will throw some examples later...

Example of some Treach savagery...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cBebkgsBZg
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    top 5 easily....Biggie Smalls is the illest and would lyrically crush anyone not named Nas or Pun...
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Biggie and 2pac was going into another zone lyrically at the time of their deaths, look how lyrically biggie smalls got better from Ready to Die to Life After Death and Pac from All Eyez on Me to his lyrically best album 7day Theory. And the cause of Biggie lyrically getting better was because he was traveling around the world and experiences, plus laying up with his injury you can tell he was reading because his vocabulary was expanding.

The Last 3 songs of LAD Biggie was in a zone lyrically and was going to the next level that Continue with VICTORY on Puffy's No Way Out. So is he top 5 Lyrically?? he was getting there and if he was alive he and Pac would of been no doubt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32vdp3T5MGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK22EvFBlQ8
  • Washington_Red
    Washington_Red Members Posts: 255
    Options
    IMO story telling is the height of being lyrical. Its not all about multis and rhyming dictionaries.

So I gotta put BIG in my top 5 most lyrical rappers.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    whoever gave me a "wack", go suck ya mudda
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Biggie isn't even top 20 and Fazeem just explained why.
  • talik23
    Options
    biggie smalls is the illest...........
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^ so Jigga can't stop, can't quit biting BIGs lyrics up till now huh?
  • rapmastermind
    edited March 2012
    Options
    "warm nights, i perform like Mike,
    any one Jackson, Jordan, Tyson...."

This is probably one of the most slept on bars in hip hop...i cant lie, i didnt get it the first time i heard it...but have always appreciated what it meant once i paid attention to it

Actually it's "BRAWL NIGHTS". He was starting off talking about Boxing which is why he brought up Tyson 1st but what he means is on Fight Nights he's the best or the best at his craft. He was basically calling himself the GOAT on wax by comparing himself to Mike Tyson, Jordan and Jackson who are all GOAT status in their respective fields. He then goes to say "Action, Pack Guns" after Jackson which is a play on words about the film "Action Jackson" which is an 80's action film staring Carl Weathers who also played Apollo in the Rocky Series. Shouting out Carl Weathers made sense since Biggie is rapping over the Rocky Score. These bars are extactly why Big is a Top Lyricist. Look how much meaning he got out of that one line, "Victory" was the last verse Biggie spit and look how ILL he went out lyrically. That song is a Lyrical masterpiece. He even made Diddy sound good as he wrote his verses also. As everyone knows, Jay bit this line on "? In Paris" also he just changed the name order around and added "Game 6" but the inspiration was Biggie.
  • KeepinItHundred
    Options
    his victory verses were pretty average besides those few bars. he went way harder on long kiss and kick in the door than on victory.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Options
    I have to question what some of you consider to the term lyrically to mean???