The Great Rap Debate: Can Real Hip-Hop Still Move the Crowd?

Options
moedays
moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in The Reason

“Some of you been tryin’ to write rhymes for years/but weak ideas irritate my ears“ – “Move The Crowd” -Eric B and Rakim

Recently, The People’s Broadcasting Service sponsored the first Hip Hop Nation presidential debate between candidates “B. Serious” and “Roger Ratchet”. When the moderator asked B. Serious for his thoughts on violence in rap, the artist gave an eloquent analysis on the exploitation of self hatred and stereotypes by the industry. However, when the moderator asked Roger Ratchet, the rapper angrily accused him of dissin’ him with a trick question, and had his goons give the poor dude a vicious beat-down, thus ending the debate…

Following the first presidential debate between President Barack Obama and Mitt Romney, many commentators said that the Prez took an L because he didn’t go hard enough. They argued that he didn’t use his arsenal of intellectual weapons to drop bombs on the challenger. However, the same can be said about those who rep real Hip-Hop when dealing with those who promote ratchet rap.

The art of debating is a time honored tradition as, historically, many of the issues facing civilizations have been settled by verbal confrontations. The course of history has been changed by events like the debates over whether the world was flat or round centuries ago, and more importantly, the 21st century debate over whether Kanye West’s Graduation CD would outsell 50 Cent’s Curtis.

Thanks to YouTube, some great debates have been preserved, such as Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture) and George Lincoln Rockwell’s “Black Power vs. ? ” debate, Dr. Frances Cress Welsing ‘s challenge of Dr. William Shockley’s racial inferiority myth, or the classic debate between Dr. John Henrik Clarke and company and Dr. Mary Lefkowitz’s crew over the validity of Afrocentricity.

Hip-Hop’s version of debating came in the form of rap battles, as you couldn’t call yourself a real “MC” “ (Master of Ceremony”) if you couldn’t move the crowd. Some of the classic battles were Busy B vs. Kool Mo Dee and the Cold Crush Brothers vs. Dr. Rock and the Force MDs.

But as the days of lyrics are gone, so are the days of battlin’. Today, battles are decided by gunshots or juvenile fisticuffs at Hip-Hop Award Shows. And for many, instead of elevating the consciousness of the audience, “moving the crowd” means seeing how fast people run for the exit when a fight breaks out in the club.

Although, there have been hundreds of discussions about Hip-Hop over the years, there has rarely been a confrontation between those who are really trying to save the culture and those who are determined to destroy it.

For the most part, Hip-Hop “debates” have tended to be scripted. Back in the heyday of “gangsta rap” it was easy for a Death Row artist to diss an elderly C. Delores Tucker, as the industry was glad to promote the idea that if you opposed murda music, then you were an old fogey and out of touch with the younger generation.

Even when challenged by senior citizens, the gangsta rappers rarely debated themselves, instead they relied on “Hip-Hop intellectuals” to serve as their mouthpieces, while they sat back and said “um…yeah…what he said…”

But today, even the people who used to pump NWA 24/7 hate rap music . Also we’re obviously not dealing with a generational but an intellectual gap, as the days of the teen rap video programs have been replaced by Hip-Hop reality shows about the everyday lives of rappers who are about six weeks short of a middle age crisis.

Unfortunately, the average supporter of ratchet rap is walking around with a confident swagga, while the fan of real Hip-Hop is walking around with a “Kick Me, I’m Conscious” sign taped to his back.

It’s time for those who want to bring back real Hip-Hop to either go hard or go home!

Currently, there is a controversy over whether “real Hip-Hop “ is represented best by the lyricism of legendary lyricists or the low level, lackluster, lethargic nonsense that dominates the airwaves. Therefore, the question must be posed, “can Hip-Hop still move the crowd not just physically, but mentally and spiritually?

Those who appreciate real Hip-Hop must stand up for truth and stop accepting the big lie that people like wallowing in the cesspool of ignorance.

I believe that the masses are ready for change, and if it ever came down to a debate between those who want a return to powerful lyrics that touch the soul and those who love the minstrel music, the lyric lovers would win – hands down. But those who want to save Hip-Hop need to quit goin’ out like suckas and get ready to rumble!

Sadly, there will always be those who insist on trying to find “beauty in the hideous,” like Talib Kweli said on the Black Star CD back in the day.

For those nincompoops who defend the nonsense, the challenge is there. There are folks like me who ain’t afraid to stand up for truth and won’t back down, because we understand that the battle is not for a trophy or some award, but for the minds of our children.

However, like EPMD said on “You Gots To Chill”:

“If you think about battlin’ you better come prepared/come with your shield and your armored gear…”

TRUTH Minista Paul Scott’s weekly column is “This Ain’t Hip Hop,” a column for intelligent Hip Hop headz.

For more information on the No Warning Shots Fired Lecture Series, contact info@nowarningshotsfired.com, go to NoWarningShotsFired.com, or follow on Twitter (@truthminista).

Comments

• blackbloc
    blackbloc Members Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    wtf is " real hiphop" and what is "fake hiphop"
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "Also we’re obviously not dealing with a generational but an intellectual gap"

disagree with this, so according tot he author, people today are dumber?
  • moedays
    Options

I think so, but that's just my opinion.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    real hip hop still moves crowds, especially overseas.
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is real Hip-Hop?
  • moedays
    Options
    real hip hop still moves crowds, especially overseas.

Rock the Bells
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is real hip hop?
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip Hop is the culture. It's where genuine intentions meet artistic perfection.

Rap is the execution of enlightened discussion and has existed long before Hip Hop's inception. As an artform, it's rhythm and poetry (KRS-ONE). Everyone from Jay-Z, to Pitbull, to Queen Godis.

Different executions of rap move different crowds.... But ? are too busy crying whenever they see a crowd they don't relate to being moved by an MC they don't relate to. They're scared of being labeled as "outsiders".
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    i dont label pitbull as hip hop any more
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Doesn't matter. He still raps.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    anyone that raps is hip hop?
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whenever Juicy, Ruff Ryders Anthem or dead prez' Hip Hop comes on in the club, ? still go mad...

Didn't read the OP...
  • Gen. Stasia
    Gen. Stasia Members Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes people are extremely dumb down nowadays.... we are an Entertainment society meaning ppl use most of their time being entertained instead of learning.

• JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i hate these damn ? ass opinionators .....like bruh ? ...stop crying ...go support the artist you like ...have a coke and a damn smile ...
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    throw yo hands up into the air and wave em around like you just dont care and scream out oh yeah!!
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what exactly do U consider real hiphop??
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i hate these damn ? ass opinionators .....like bruh ? ...stop crying ...go support the artist you like ...have a coke and a damn smile ...

i second this. the only thing more annoying than a ? fan of "fake hip hop" (whatever that means) is a self-righteous fan of "real hip hop" (whatever that means).

go watch a old school/classic hip hop song on youtube and the comments section will be flooded with 13 year old white kids crying about how lil wayne is apparently killing "real hip hop." pleease.

the golden age fallacy strikes again.
  • curtis75black
    curtis75black Members Posts: 606
    Options
    Real Hip Hop will only move the crowd when biases leave the forum. When a emcee can drop a project and it gets rocked off its music, not the name its attached to. When you can rock with a project even if your favorite had beef with him or her. When was the last time any of y'all just said "This is some tight ? , even if I normally don't ? with the style". The thing about the early 80's is that there were too many styles from different emcees and groups. The music is all that counted, Not the gimmick or image their trying to portray.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

Yes people are extremely dumb down nowadays.... we are an Entertainment society meaning ppl use most of their time being entertained instead of learning.

so we're all dumb ? compared to people 10 years ago. i can't get jiggy with that, its condescending and insulting to those of us who actually care about hip hop. The author doesn't even consider generational difference as a relevant issue. I wonder if people who grew up in the 60s and 70s thought bboys and other hip hop fans were dumb as well?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip-hop still rocks crowds, its just not the same anymore. The culture has change, or rather been manipulated, diluted etc. I just read "Blues People" by Leroi Jones and not to my surprise what we see going on with hip-hop now, is the same thing that happened to the Blues & Jazz.

If we keep making hip-hop about money and who makes money that will be the barometer for white folks to make Eminem the GOAT MC. Its what they did with Elvis, its what they did with Paul Whiteman, etc. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it....sad part is we've seen it countless times already.
  • moedays
    Options

jono wrote: »
    Hip-hop still rocks crowds, its just not the same anymore. The culture has change, or rather been manipulated, diluted etc. I just read "Blues People" by Leroi Jones and not to my surprise what we see going on with hip-hop now, is the same thing that happened to the Blues & Jazz.

If we keep making hip-hop about money and who makes money that will be the barometer for white folks to make Eminem the GOAT MC. Its what they did with Elvis, its what they did with Paul Whiteman, etc. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it....sad part is we've seen it countless times already.

you know ? hate learning.
  • soul rattler
    Options

No, and not everyone that is Hip Hop raps.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    old school hip hop gets plenty of love. i was at a show and once they started playing tribe, wutang, busta, the crowd went absolutely bananas. that jawn was live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbuBpavobMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YU9sefKFrw&feature=related

• StillFaggyAF
    Options

No, and not everyone that is Hip Hop raps.

who's in hip hop that doesn't rap?
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

so we're all dumb ? compared to people 10 years ago. i can't get jiggy with that, its condescending and insulting to those of us who actually care about hip hop. The author doesn't even consider generational difference as a relevant issue. I wonder if people who grew up in the 60s and 70s thought bboys and other hip hop fans were dumb as well?

School Drop out rates are better than 10 years ago. As are crime rates. As are teen pregnancy rates. etc.,etc. People who listen to rap are generally making smarter decisions than 10 years ago. You had to have been old enough then to see how much smarter kids are now. These type people like author never make sense. They just whine about music. All they have to do is listen to what they want. Their whole position is nonsense. Nobody cares in the real world.