Most Unstoppable NBA Player in his Prime

Options

Comments

• ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prime Shaq
    2000-2001 Shaq could not be stop... ? created the Hack a Shaq...

Good thing he never had a Jordan/Kobe mentality.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    29 and 13 is 29 and 13 I don't give a damn whether he got it close to the basket or out on the perimeter.

He had the physical tools that he didnt need to be as skillful as a Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, or Kevin Mchale.

You ask most GMs who would they have rather had during that time to and most of them would have said Shaq.

Great Center > Great Perimeter player

The Bulls have been the only exception to that rule other than the 2004 Detroit Pistons and the Jordan led Bulls all other championship squads of the last few decades have had great post players.

Other than Pippen and Rodman Jordan played with no other Hall of Fame players.

Let's look at who Kobe has played with Shaq who is arguably the second or third best center ever if not the best.

Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, and not to mention Phil Jackson and Tex Winter bringing that triangle offense.

Gasol and World Peace aren't in the Hall of Fame yet but they will be.

Man you might want to save that ish for people who don't know or watch the game.
  • P swayze166
    P swayze166 Members Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prime Kobe
    Kobe played with 1 hall of fame player -Shaq...pau only in cuz of his international play...Ron ain't making the hall.

Shaq was dominant all those years but never won or was dominant in playoffs until Kobe and Phil came......he was the most dominant but never unstoppable to the degree Kobe was....Kareem was much more of a unstoppable player than Shaq...and everyone knows Shaq would get stopped and just use his elbow to clear a guys head off, that's not unstoppable that's a foul they never called similar to Lebron's charging the paint and never getting a charge call...now MJ Kobe iverson they used skill to get buckets in a myriad of ways from all over the court.

Let the Shaq ? go he on a lower tier than many including Hakeem at his peak.
  • P swayze166
    Options
    Prime Kobe
    Malone got hurt and Payton was exposed in the triangle...and I'd give u Malone if he didn't get hurt and basically conceded the championship to Detroit
  • Crude_
    Options
    Not going to argue with you on that Kobe as great as he is has always played on loaded squads.

If you would have put Shaq with any decent star level perimeter player during that time plus a decent coach and it would have equaled championships and deep playoff runs.
    The only bad teams Kobe played on was around that 2-3 year period after Shaq left.

Around that time I remember Kobe wanting a trade and ? and coincidently I remember Mitch Kupchaks buddy Jerry West sending Pau Gasol to LA for bread crumbs, gummy bears basically.

You know the story Kobe went on to win 2 more titles in three years with the acquisition of Gasol and the maturation of Bynum.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prime Jordan
    Jordan was never stopped in his prime, Shaq was stopped in his prime
  • Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prime Wilt
    Toss up between prime Jordan and prime Shaq.

Jordan is the best perimeter player ever and his will to win is unmatched in my opinion.

I saw Shaq get double and triple teamed and still got his numbers.

Regardless of whether you are a Kobe fan or not during those this 3 titles those were Shaq teams not Kobe teams.

That takes nothing away from Kobe though he's a top 10 player in NBA history that just happened to play with another top 10 player in NBA history.

If Shaq played for a lessor team and asserted himself like he could have he coulda averaged 35 and 20 for several seasons.

Shaq was on lesser teams more than he was on teams with Kobe and he never did that....? a coulda woulda shoulda, Kobe had a few minutes a game to do him with shaq and he still got numbers. Shaq was a force, but he could be stopped, spurs held him down many a night.....but I watched these games live, not with the espn nostalgic haze they put on you people....there's a reason shaq was on Lebron "never get it done" status before Kobe AND Phil came to the rescue....then he got gassed and played himself right out of Los Angeles.....if he was a pro like say gasol is and handled himself that way he coulda rode Kobe's coat tails to another 3-5 titles, and at the same time kept Kobe from getting his legendary status he now has......shaq was great, but he ai t ? with Kobe, MJ, even iverson when it came to being unstoppable...mainly because he was useless past 7 feet from basket.

In year 2000, during the regular season, Bryant averaged almost 29 points and five assists per game. How did these stats translate over to the NBA Finals? They lowered to 15 points and four assists per game.

Shaquille O’Neal, on the other hand, raised his scoring average, from 28 in the regular season to 38 in the finals.

In 2001, the Lakers once again won the NBA Finals. Kobe’s scoring average dropped in the clutch once again, forcing O’Neal to step up his scoring from 27 per game in the regular season to 33 in the finals.

In 2002, for the third straight year, Kobe’s scoring and assists declined in the series and O’Neal, of course, stepped it up in the finals.

At the time of Shaq’s third championship, he was averaging the most points per game in NBA finals history.

Stop it P you trolling!
  • P swayze166
    Options
    Prime Kobe
    Not going to argue with you on that Kobe as great as he is has always played on loaded squads.

If you would have put Shaq with any decent star level perimeter player during that time plus a decent coach and it would have equaled championships and deep playoff runs.
    The only bad teams Kobe played on was around that 2-3 year period after Shaq left.

Around that time I remember Kobe wanting a trade and ? and coincidently I remember Mitch Kupchaks buddy Jerry West sending Pau Gasol to LA for bread crumbs, gummy bears basically.

You know the story Kobe went on to win 2 more titles in three years with the acquisition of Gasol and the maturation of Bynum.

Dude....you talking like shaq wasn't on teams like that and never won jack ? .....and as far as phone thug n harmony mister toad Reggie, u bringing up finals stats, when LA played weak inside eastern teams and the plan was for shaq to dominate inside, bring up the real championship series, the western conference playoffs and finals....stop trolling and misleading mini Bynum, we see through the facade.
  • SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prime Shaq

you do realize that MJ's prime started in 87-88 right and he didnt win a title til 91....
  • P swayze166
    Options
    Prime Kobe

you do realize that MJ's prime started in 87-88 right and he didnt win a title til 91....

It's not your prime because its you at your physical best...it's when your mental and physical peaks combine. That didnt happen for Jordan until honestly '92 Olympics and following season.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Prime Jordan

Jordans prime was 3 years into the league? No

• Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Prime Wilt

Dude....you talking like shaq wasn't on teams like that and never won jack ? .....and as far as phone thug n harmony mister toad Reggie, u bringing up finals stats, when LA played weak inside eastern teams and the plan was for shaq to dominate inside, bring up the real championship series, the western conference playoffs and finals....stop trolling and misleading mini Bynum, we see through the facade.

With kobe going one on one while Shaq stayed getting doubled Lol at Rick Smits Dale Davis Dikemebe Mutumbo and Tryone Hill being weak defenders with the exception of smits then again he wasn't terrible While kobe was going against Arron Mckie and old ass Reggie.He still put up ? field goal percentages stop it was a reason Shaq got 3 Mvp's and would of had four if Kobe.

During the 2004 NBA Finals, Kobe decided that he was going to be the man, even if it cost the team. Not surprisingly, according to Phil Jackson‘s book “The Last Season: A Team in Search of Its Soul," in Bryant’s exit interview with him Bryant said, “I’m tired of being a sidekick.” Shaq already had three Finals MVP’s and Kobe for once wanted that finals MVP.
    ^^^^"
    Translation ? ? " I guess they think alike huh P?

2000 NBA Finals:
    15.6ppg - 4.2apg - 4.6rpg - 35.2 fg% (33-90) to Shaq's 38.0ppg - 16.7 rpg - 61.1 fg%

2001 NBA Finals:
    24.6ppg - 5.8apg - 7.8rpg - 41.5 fg% (44-106) to Shaq's 33.0ppg - 15.8rpg - 57.3 fg%
  • SocialAssassinRati
    SocialAssassinRati Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prime Shaq

Jordans prime was 3 years into the league? No

yes...between 87-92 MJ was the unquestioned best player in the league on all fronts...hence him winning league MVP and DPOY...oh yeah he avg like 38ppg that year as well...yes MJs prime started 3 yrs into the league
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    29 and 13 is 29 and 13 I don't give a damn whether he got it close to the basket or out on the perimeter.

He had the physical tools that he didnt need to be as skillful as a Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, or Kevin Mchale.

You ask most GMs who would they have rather had during that time to and most of them would have said Shaq.

Great Center > Great Perimeter player

The Bulls have been the only exception to that rule other than the 2004 Detroit Pistons and the Jordan led Bulls all other championship squads of the last few decades have had great post players.

Other than Pippen and Rodman Jordan played with no other Hall of Fame players.

Let's look at who Kobe has played with Shaq who is arguably the second or third best center ever if not the best.

Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, and not to mention Phil Jackson and Tex Winter bringing that triangle offense.

Gasol and World Peace aren't in the Hall of Fame yet but they will be.

Man you might want to save that ish for people who don't know or watch the game.

this ? gets it. I really don't understand how ? blame Kobe for being option 1b/2. it was never that he wasn't good enough it was that Shaq was on the squad. who the ? was going to stop Shaq??? nobody. anybody Shaq played with was going to be option 2 I don't care who it was. he literally couldn't not be stopped. if you have Shaq and a perimeter player is your main focus on offense then you are hustling backwards.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Prime Jordan
    I dont consider it his prime, at the end of the day once he started winning he was unstoppable, and the level of comp was so much higher in the 90's than it was in the early 2000's, the nba looked like it was about to be a dying sport during the Shaq/Kobe dynasty, the west was tough but nothing was coming out the east that could compete with them, then he hit that Wallace wall and he was stopped, Jordan 6 Shaq 4
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prime Kobe
    Lol at Artest being a hall of famer. Malone, Payton, Nash all way out their primes. Only reason Pau will get in the hall is because his international career counts. He only had 3 great years for the Lakers.
  • Crude_
    Options
    @buttuh_b if weak ass Chris Bosh goes to the Hall of Fame Artest probably will too he's not a lock and he wont be a first ballot Hall of Fame player but I could see him possibly getting in on down the line.

He was the defensive player of the year back in 2004 and has been named to numerous other all defensive teams.

If a guy like Dennis Rodman can get in I don't see why Artest couldn't they basically the same player.

Rodman was a lot better rebounder though in his heyday I will say that, but their defense was about on par with one another.

If Rodman wouldn't have went to the Bulls on the back end of their second 3 peat he would have just been another player in that era great rebounder but just would been considered a solid role player.

If Artest played with a team with lessor talent he could probably still put up decent numbers think around 14-17 and 6.

That's about like what Bosh is doing and people saying he is a hall a famer

He's got titles he's been an All Star and people forget his time in Indiana where he was more of a scorer.
  • Crude_
    Options
    Lol I like how you overlook Shaq and Kobe both being in their primes at the time and a washed up Karl Malone was still better than 50-60 percent of the players in the league at the time.

I will agree that Payton didn't fit in well with that triangle offense though.

I like how cats try to act like Kobe carried the Lakers to championships with marginal talent around him.

All those Laker championship squads were loaded with talent.

I distinctly remember those 2-3 years the Lakers had marginal talent Kobe demanding a trade and ish though.

During the Shaq years with Shaq and Kobe being in their prime then they had great complimentary players as well like Derek Fisher, Robert Horry, and Brian Shaw etc.

Then that same Laker team was loaded with talent post Shaq after they acquired Gasol and Bynum matured plus the acquisition of Metta World Peace with guys like Shannon Brown and Jordan Farmer coming off the bench.

The way some of yall post makes me question whether you even watch games or even know the game of basketball.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Prime Wilt

If a guy like Dennis Rodman can get in I don't see why Artest couldn't they basically the same player.

Rodman was a lot better rebounder though in his heyday I will say that, but their defense was about on par with one another.

If Rodman wouldn't have went to the Bulls on the back end of their second 3 peat he would have just been another player in that era great rebounder but just would been considered a solid role player.

If Artest played with a team with lessor talent he could probably still put up decent numbers think around 14-17 and 6.

STOP IT, i know he aint just compare Rodman who was the 3rd best player on FIVE title teams to ron -ron..FOH

and without the bulls, Rodman still was a 2 time champion that had season s of averaging rebounds of 17 and 19 rpg and guarded everyone from Shaq to Karl Malone to barkley
  • OhPee
    OhPee Members Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Prime Kobe
    In my book, a player is in his Prime from age 26-32
  • 2 Drawlz
    2 Drawlz Members Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prime Hakeem
    Prime Hakeem is a beast. he was over shadowed by MJ's Nike ad campaigns.

Lebron, KOBE, Dwight and Amare ain't became unstoppable, until they saw Master Olujuwon
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prime Kobe
    2 Drawlz wrote: »
    Prime Hakeem is a beast. he was over shadowed by MJ's Nike ad campaigns.

Lebron, KOBE, Dwight and Amare ain't became unstoppable, until they saw Master Olujuwon

You are an idiot Kobe went to Ola for nuance.. not a post game hes had that in his infancy
  • Crude_
    Options
    @DaBull no you get the ? out of here acting like a stat sheet tells the whole story.

I acknowledge Rodman was a better rebounder but let's not get ? confused the Bulls had their successes because Jordan had an unparalleled will to win.

RODMAN was what Ben Wallace was several years ago to the Pistons.

A great defender and rebounder and miss me with that Pistons ? those Pistons teams of the late 80s - early 90s were loaded.

Thomas and Dumas were better and I could make a good argument Laimbeer, Vinne Johnson, and Mark Agguire were just as good or better.

Rodman didn't even start that first Pistons title run it wasn't until Mahorn was lost to the expansion Draft did Rodman start.

Rodman was the fourth or fifth best player on those Piston teams at best great rebounder great defensive player but you cats in here acting like you could build a franchise around him he was a great complimentary player and probably the best rebounder I ever seen but you ? acting like he was a go to player or someone who made others better.

I'm a call a ? a ? Rodman wasn't even considered the third best player at his position in those days or any time he was in the league.

Those Bulls teams were Jordan Pippen and a bunch of complimentary players which makes it all the more amazing what Jordan did given the fact the league actually allowed defenders to play defense in those days.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Prime Shaq
    just looked at stats nd didnt kno Hakeem had a year where he averaged 4.6 blocks per game
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Prime Shaq
    Shout out to The Answer