The Official Boxing Thread

Options

Comments

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    do this stupid muthafucka realize he dangerously close to a sexual assault charge.....? ?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Forgot bout fnf
  • Rum Middleton
    Rum Middleton Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vader wrote: »
    damn no fights this weekend smh

That's exactly how I feel when it ain't no fights on. Last month was the worse LOL
  • Rum Middleton
    Options
    I don't really watch FNF. I was gonna check out George tonight, I heard he had talent, but wit all this basketball on, probably not.
  • Rum Middleton
    Options
    I don't really watch FNF. I was gonna check out George tonight, I heard he had talent, but wit all this basketball on, probably not.

I'll wait til that ? makes it to Saturday night LOL
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    peterson vs matthyse is going down may 18th in atlantic city with alexander vs. brook as the co-feature
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    Abraham fights tomorrow
  • playmaker88
    Options
    Abraham fights tomorrow

yah and adonis stevenson tonight i think..i doubt i look for it too much ? on tonite.. ill peep that tube
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    Hearf after this fight adonis moving uo to fight dawson since froch didn't defend his belt against him since he's his mandatory
  • vince_vince
    vince_vince Members Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    solis,aydin,agbeko and chagaev fought today. abraham,groves and helenius tomorrow.
  • Rum Middleton
    Options
    Abraham fights tomorrow

It won't be televised though...
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mark my words, Lamont Peterson is about to get his ass beat the ? up by Matthysse. Danny Garcia is about to get tipped up by Zab Judah. Furthermore, Saul Alvarez is about to taste defeat for the first time at the hands of Austin Trout. Robert Guerrero is going to get schooled by Floyd Mayweather. Nonito Donaire is going to be surprised when Guillermo Rigondeaux smacks him up. That is all. By the way, I got money on Matthysse, Judah, Trout, Mayweather, and Rigondeaux.

WAR MATTHYSSE!!!
    WAR JUDAH!!!
    WAR TROUT!!!
    WAR MAYWEATHER!!!
    WAR RIGONDEAUX!!!
  • vince_vince
    Options
    Abraham fights tomorrow

It won't be televised though...

it's on epix 4pm edt if anyone has that channel...

• Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    I think garcia gon have Judah playin wit a new set of matches.....tha lucas a n peterson fight bout to be a war CANT WAIT...I agree wit trout beatin alvarez too
  • vince_vince
    edited March 2013
    Options
    he right doe, 900 grands is just stupid
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MSOI wrote: »
    Mark my words, Lamont Peterson is about to get his ass beat the ? up by Matthysse. Danny Garcia is about to get tipped up by Zab Judah. Furthermore, Saul Alvarez is about to taste defeat for the first time at the hands of Austin Trout. Robert Guerrero is going to get schooled by Floyd Mayweather. Nonito Donaire is going to be surprised when Guillermo Rigondeaux smacks him up. That is all. By the way, I got money on Matthysse, Judah, Trout, Mayweather, and Rigondeaux.

WAR MATTHYSSE!!!
    WAR JUDAH!!!
    WAR TROUT!!!
    WAR MAYWEATHER!!!
    WAR RIGONDEAUX!!!

only fight u got right is Mayweather
  • Art-illery
    Art-illery Members Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Olympic boxing drops head guards

LOS ANGELES -- Olympic boxers will fight without head guards in a pro-style scoring system starting this year after several significant rule changes by the sport's international governing body.

The International Boxing Association (AIBA) unveiled several rule amendments this week, but the two biggest changes will move the Olympic sport much closer to the professional version. The rejection of headgear and the introduction of 10-point scoring could make the sport once known as amateur boxing more appealing to young boxers seeking professional careers.

Male boxers at the world championships in October and the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016 won't wear the protective head guards adopted before the 1984 Los Angeles Games. Although the move might seem counterintuitive in preventing brain injuries, the chairman of AIBA's medical commission, Charles Butler, cites numerous medical studies that suggest fighting without head guards will decrease concussions.

"There's no evidence protective gear shows a reduction in incidence of concussion," Butler said. "In 1982, when the American Medical Association moved to ban boxing, everybody panicked and put headgear on the boxers, but nobody ever looked to see what the headgear did."

AIBA's executive committee unanimously voted to add head guards to amateur competition in April 1984, and they stayed in place through eight straight Olympics.

But the headgear has long been criticized for diffusing the impact of a blow and allowing fighters to continue sustaining more head shots for a longer stretch of time. The gear also offers no protection to the chin, where many knockout blows land in boxing, while the bulky sides of the device impede fighters' peripheral vision, preventing them from seeing every head blow.

The head guard ban will only affect male boxers at the top levels of AIBA competition, meaning women's boxers and younger fighters will still wear the gear.

The amateur sport also is moving to a pro-style, 10-point scoring system, discarding the latest version of the much-criticized computer punch-count systems implemented after the Seoul Olympics in 1988. Each fight will be scored by five ringside judges with the traditional 10-9 or 10-8 rounds familiar to fans of professional boxing.

The sport moved to a punch-counting system after the infamously bizarre results in Seoul, including Roy Jones Jr.'s inexplicable loss. But the computer system has been highly subjective and arcane, often turning the sport into a sparring session that emphasizes punch volume over technique and ring generalship.

North American boxers have been particularly critical of the computerized scoring, with many top U.S. and Mexican prospects declining even to participate in amateur boxing.

The traditional scoring system also should indirectly improve fighters' safety, according to Butler. Since body shots and combinations notoriously scored few points in the computerized punch-count system, fighters have long placed a premium on a high volume of head shots, since an opponent's neck snapping back is the surest way to make sure a punch is seen and counted.

"Boxing isn't bean counting," Butler said. "The thing that makes (the computer system) dangerous is if you're a boxer, you know you're not going to get a point for a body shot, so what are you going to do except punch the head? There were no points given for combinations. You might get one point. If a kid was a counterpuncher, you'd lose."

AIBA has been moving its sport to a professional model for the past several years under the direction of president Wu Ching-Kuo, even opening two professional boxing ventures: the team-based World Series of Boxing and the individual APB Boxing, slated to debut this fall. AIBA even dropped the word "amateur" from its name and competitions to emphasize its desire to control boxing at every level.

"It is AIBA's duty to bring the sport of boxing to the pinnacle of the Olympic Movement, and I am convinced that these changes will critically contribute to the development of our beloved sport," Wu said. "Decisions have not been made lightly, and we will now put a lot of efforts in educating our national member federations, our officials, boxers and coaches, as well as boxing fans around the world."

Article Link - http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/9087686/olympic-boxing-drops-head-guards-changes-scoring-system

Hopefully, this new change tips towards the American teams better, since our fighters train to go pro. That 10 point system changes the game... If they did that back in the day, Roy Jones Jr. and Floyd Mayweather would have gold medals. But you still have a lot of ? judges tho.

That new rule should be across the board for men and women. I'm probably one of the few people that can get into women's boxing. ? it... Claressa Shields was the most exciting boxer on the U.S. team last year in London...
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Art-illery wrote: »

LOS ANGELES -- Olympic boxers will fight without head guards in a pro-style scoring system starting this year after several significant rule changes by the sport's international governing body.

The International Boxing Association (AIBA) unveiled several rule amendments this week, but the two biggest changes will move the Olympic sport much closer to the professional version. The rejection of headgear and the introduction of 10-point scoring could make the sport once known as amateur boxing more appealing to young boxers seeking professional careers.

Male boxers at the world championships in October and the Rio de Janeiro Olympics in 2016 won't wear the protective head guards adopted before the 1984 Los Angeles Games. Although the move might seem counterintuitive in preventing brain injuries, the chairman of AIBA's medical commission, Charles Butler, cites numerous medical studies that suggest fighting without head guards will decrease concussions.

"There's no evidence protective gear shows a reduction in incidence of concussion," Butler said. "In 1982, when the American Medical Association moved to ban boxing, everybody panicked and put headgear on the boxers, but nobody ever looked to see what the headgear did."

AIBA's executive committee unanimously voted to add head guards to amateur competition in April 1984, and they stayed in place through eight straight Olympics.

But the headgear has long been criticized for diffusing the impact of a blow and allowing fighters to continue sustaining more head shots for a longer stretch of time. The gear also offers no protection to the chin, where many knockout blows land in boxing, while the bulky sides of the device impede fighters' peripheral vision, preventing them from seeing every head blow.

The head guard ban will only affect male boxers at the top levels of AIBA competition, meaning women's boxers and younger fighters will still wear the gear.

The amateur sport also is moving to a pro-style, 10-point scoring system, discarding the latest version of the much-criticized computer punch-count systems implemented after the Seoul Olympics in 1988. Each fight will be scored by five ringside judges with the traditional 10-9 or 10-8 rounds familiar to fans of professional boxing.

The sport moved to a punch-counting system after the infamously bizarre results in Seoul, including Roy Jones Jr.'s inexplicable loss. But the computer system has been highly subjective and arcane, often turning the sport into a sparring session that emphasizes punch volume over technique and ring generalship.

North American boxers have been particularly critical of the computerized scoring, with many top U.S. and Mexican prospects declining even to participate in amateur boxing.

The traditional scoring system also should indirectly improve fighters' safety, according to Butler. Since body shots and combinations notoriously scored few points in the computerized punch-count system, fighters have long placed a premium on a high volume of head shots, since an opponent's neck snapping back is the surest way to make sure a punch is seen and counted.

"Boxing isn't bean counting," Butler said. "The thing that makes (the computer system) dangerous is if you're a boxer, you know you're not going to get a point for a body shot, so what are you going to do except punch the head? There were no points given for combinations. You might get one point. If a kid was a counterpuncher, you'd lose."

AIBA has been moving its sport to a professional model for the past several years under the direction of president Wu Ching-Kuo, even opening two professional boxing ventures: the team-based World Series of Boxing and the individual APB Boxing, slated to debut this fall. AIBA even dropped the word "amateur" from its name and competitions to emphasize its desire to control boxing at every level.

"It is AIBA's duty to bring the sport of boxing to the pinnacle of the Olympic Movement, and I am convinced that these changes will critically contribute to the development of our beloved sport," Wu said. "Decisions have not been made lightly, and we will now put a lot of efforts in educating our national member federations, our officials, boxers and coaches, as well as boxing fans around the world."

Article Link - http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/9087686/olympic-boxing-drops-head-guards-changes-scoring-system

Hopefully, this new change tips towards the American teams better, since our fighters train to go pro. That 10 point system changes the game... If they did that back in the day, Roy Jones Jr. and Floyd Mayweather would have gold medals. But you still have a lot of ? judges tho.

That new rule should be across the board for men and women. I'm probably one of the few people that can get into women's boxing. ? it... Claressa Shields was the most exciting boxer on the U.S. team last year in London...

I ? with women boxing too....but I can never find a channel for the ? ...every now and again I get lucky and catch a bout on SNY
  • Art-illery
    Art-illery Members Posts: 743 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Art-illery wrote: »

I ? with women boxing too....but I can never find a channel for the ? ...every now and again I get lucky and catch a bout on SNY

It's rarely shown in the U.S. on a mid level network (nevertheless a major one like HBO), and the women get paid ? for it. It's relatively pretty big in a lot of Latin American countries. I know they tried in the late 1990s with it, and you had some women that achieved moderate success (Laila Ali, Mis St. John, Christy Martin). Laila Ali lived off of her dad's name (and she was pretty), but she didn't take any high risk fights (Anne Wolfe would've busted her ? ). Mis St. John was just a moderately skilled Playboy bunny with boxing gloves (though she pulled off an upset against Christy Martin). Christy Martin was good in her prime, but she stated to fall off (and she wasn't eye appealing).

• playmaker88
    Options
    FNF use to have women on.. and yeah Laila Ali ducked the ? out of Anne Wolf..

Jamie Clampett or something like that vs mahood was like gatti/ward of female boxing
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    Speakin of anne wolfe where tha ? is tha homie kirkland? That nigguh milk carton status
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Options
    This idiot Broner just confirmed that he is THE DUMBEST BOXER OF ALL TIME

Man get the ? off Floyd's ? trying to be his clone. Be ur own man. ? outta here lame ass ?