Rodman Says If Lebron Played In The 90's, He Would Be An Average Player

Options

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    Players are faster and stronger than they've ever been before.

The Players are faster and stronger, but the skill level is WAY down IMO. Featured Centers don't have post moves (Dwight, Tyson etc.), so-called superstars wing players don't have jumpers (Lebron, Wade etc.), featured point guards can't shoot at all (Rondo, Westbrook etc.)

? is ridiculous to not be able to perform the required skills needed for the position you play. Dudes got quicker and stronger, but forgot all about the fundamentals.

How the ? are you the "best player in the league," but all dudes have to do is zone you and you're no longer effective? ? like that is laughable. A zone defense would not have even slowed down Jordan one bit. Dude would have mid-ranged the opposing team to death until they figured out how dumb that defense is against a wing player with real basketball skills.

i was wit u til da bolded, Lebron shot around 55% from da field u think it was off all dunks bruh, dude shot 40% from 3 how does he not have a jumper? lls also Russell Westbrook has da best pull up midrange jumper in da league do u watch these guys play outside of Kobe dawg?

? living off old arguments from years ago

1. Lebron is mentality weak and can't close
    2. Lebron can't shoot or has no post game

That's how you know ? got ulterior motives, be objective. Dude has put a lot of the knock against down these last two years
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    ? with this nostalgic ? , ? realize Lebron is the same weight as the average center from the 90s. Like who the ? is gonna guard him, who matches up with him. Pippen doesn't have the weight or foot speed and lol at handchecking Lebron. Zone was illegal in that era, so that's chicken all day for Lebron.

Athletes get better over time, ? need to chill the ? out with this nostalgia ? because ya'll are 80s and 90s babies. You got bigs like Dirk, Durant,etc who are PF's and centers who got handles, three point range,etc, the game is evolving.

katt-williams.jpg

The ? ?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    woah316 wrote: »
    NYETOPn wrote: »
    IF the Heat lose this series and Lebron under performs again, he can expect a flood of similar comments

If the Heat win the next 4 games and Lebron averages 50,20,15. They just gonna say "MJ got 6 and he never lost".

You can keep dreaming.

You just showed your card as either a desperate Lebron fan, or a MJ hater....... which one is it?

Damn I wish I could place a bet and take this clown rent money.

I'm a Sixers fan. I call it like it is. I just dont fall into the category of clowns that believe that basketball started and ended with MJ.

P.S. so far today you have called me ? ,idiot and a clown. Don't think I'm gonna let this slide.
    This ? gets me every time as well

Blame the hightlight reel generation. All they know are the clips of MJ flying through the air and that shot over Craig Ehlo lol. They don't actually remember seeing those Bulls teams get seriously challenged by the 90's Knicks and Pacers. Hell Pacers almost beat them in a 7 game series on the Bulls' 6th title run. In most people's eyes Jordan was damn near undefeated except for against the Pistons lol. I heard a ? the other day try to argue Jordan won the game against the Celtics he dropped 63 points in lol. All he knew was the 63 points. I had to tell taht fool who the game was actually against he swore it was against the Knicks lol

This can't be real. I thought majority of this was common knowledge.

Most ? today only know Jordan highlights they don't know facts. They don't know that it was Pippen who shut down Magic in that first Finals victory. Or that when it came down to the wire to win not only 1 but 2 of his rings Jordan passed to John Paxon and Steve Kerr for the game winners. To them Jordan is 6-0 in Finals, hit every game winner, led the league in every category. Never complained, never got preferential treatment from the refs. ? is perfect to many because they only see the highlights. I'll be 28 this year no I don't remember the 80's part of Jordan's career but I damn sure vividly remember the 90's Jordan and besides that 72-10 season where the Bulls literally ran over the league, they were given a good challenge every year by at least 1 team, especially in those later years where it seemed the Pacers were always one or two plays away from beating them.
  • blackrain
    Options
    ? with this nostalgic ? , ? realize Lebron is the same weight as the average center from the 90s. Like who the ? is gonna guard him, who matches up with him. Pippen doesn't have the weight or foot speed and lol at handchecking Lebron. Zone was illegal in that era, so that's chicken all day for Lebron.

Athletes get better over time, ? need to chill the ? out with this nostalgia ? because ya'll are 80s and 90s babies. You got bigs like Dirk, Durant,etc who are PF's and centers who got handles, three point range,etc, the game is evolving.

katt-williams.jpg

The ? ?

He has a point. Durant is 6'11 and can handle the ball and shoot from deep beyond the 3 pt line if need be. Back in the day there weren't 6'11 guys who could go out on the perimeter and defend. It's the same reason why when Arvydas Sabonis came into the league he gave NBA centers problems. He could shoot the three or go on the post. NBA centers weren't perimeter defenders and that's why so many of those European bigs looked so good when they first started coming over.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If he played in the 90s, he'd be Dominique.

Wilkins played no D ? ....

I never said the centers in the league are the best ever it's just more deep than its ever been... Hand checking isn't as big as some of you guys are making it out to be.

Well your wrong, 90's was the deepest era with legit centers, and how is the Celtics the first team your gonna name but you bring up a 6'7 power forward you didn't even know the name of and didn't even mention KG who is our center and who is a career power forward just happened to fill that roll because of injury and did it well, there were a lot more solid to great centers in the 90's than today, nowadays Dwight Howard is considered your best center but he's soft as baby ?
    I was going Down a list of teams for divisions and when you look at all the teams they have a legit center.
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    Ppl really need to look back at some of the rosters on the teams jordan played in his championship years... The league is tougher today.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options

katt-williams.jpg

The ? ?

He has a point. Durant is 6'11 and can handle the ball and shoot from deep beyond the 3 pt line if need be. Back in the day there weren't 6'11 guys who could go out on the perimeter and defend. It's the same reason why when Arvydas Sabonis came into the league he gave NBA centers problems. He could shoot the three or go on the post. NBA centers weren't perimeter defenders and that's why so many of those European bigs looked so good when they first started coming over.

He's 6'10 and hes a small forward, Dirk is a power forward with no handle, neither is a center, and theres always been players who 6'8-6'10 that had handles, Magic was 6'9
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    And Durant is "one" example, theres not a lot of guys that can do what Durant does, that's why hes hand down the 2nd best player in the league today, that doesn't prove the game is evolving, give me a center like The dream who will ? you in the post, lead the league in blocks, rebound and pass instead of a guy who is almost 7 feet who is soft as baby ? but can shoot the 3, the game hasn't evolved, athletes aren't more athletic
  • its....JOHN B
    Options

I never said the centers in the league are the best ever it's just more deep than its ever been... Hand checking isn't as big as some of you guys are making it out to be.

Well your wrong, 90's was the deepest era with legit centers, and how is the Celtics the first team your gonna name but you bring up a 6'7 power forward you didn't even know the name of and didn't even mention KG who is our center and who is a career power forward just happened to fill that roll because of injury and did it well, there were a lot more solid to great centers in the 90's than today, nowadays Dwight Howard is considered your best center but he's soft as baby ?
    I was going Down a list of teams for divisions and when you look at all the teams they have a legit center.

The power forward position is deep and has been deep the past 10-15 years, Center position has fallen off since the 90's fact
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And Durant is "one" example, theres not a lot of guys that can do what Durant does, that's why hes hand down the 2nd best player in the league today, that doesn't prove the game is evolving, give me a center like The dream who will ? you in the post, lead the league in blocks, rebound and pass instead of a guy who is almost 7 feet who is soft as baby ? but can shoot the 3, the game hasn't evolved, athletes aren't more athletic

So Dirk, Bosh, Gasol (both),Love,etc don't have the same shooting range as Durant. The game has changed dude, ? like Hakeem, Mutumbo,Ewing,etc wouldn't be able to live in the paint like that.
  • SupremeXXV
    SupremeXXV Members Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You have to admit that it's a lot easier to score when a defender has to play defense with his hands at his sides as opposed to his hand on your hip. It's easier to get past a defender nowadays.

• its....JOHN B
    edited June 2013
    Options

So Dirk, Bosh, Gasol (both),Love,etc don't have the same shooting range as Durant. The game has changed dude, ? like Hakeem, Mutumbo,Ewing,etc wouldn't be able to live in the paint like that.

No Gasol's don't shoot 3's, Marc Gasol plays the center position the way it should be played, you live with Bosh shooting 3's and if he stayed in Toronto his team would be lottery status his whole career, Hibbert just had his way in the paint on Miami and hes not even that great of a center, imagine what Ewing or The Dream would do, Love gets most of his points in the paint, Dirk is the greatest shooting big man, another once in a generation type player, so foh with that, Duncan is in the finals right now, he cant shoot 3's
  • SupremeXXV
    Options

In what era? There's plenty of video (youtube of course) of teams running zone.

• blackrain
    edited June 2013
    Options

katt-williams.jpg

The ? ?

He's 6'10 and hes a small forward, Dirk is a power forward with no handle, neither is a center, and theres always been players who 6'8-6'10 that had handles, Magic was 6'9

No there hasn't always been 6'8-6'10 players with handle. That's why Magic Johnson til this day is seen as special, same with Penny Hardaway before the knee injuries. They were players the size of forwards playing PG. It's what helped make the triangle work in Chicago because Pippen essentially was playing 6'7 PG out there too. That ? wasn't a normal thing, hence why two of the teams I mentioned having forward size PG's running their offense both dominated the league for long stretches. You say Dirk has no handle, even if that were true that doesn't negate his shooting range which PF's and centers didn't have in the 80's and early 90's in the same amount they do now.

You say Durant is 6'10 like that's little. There were center playing at 6'10 in the 90's. At his size if he played 20 years ago with his same skill set he'd have a clear advantage because he's taller than a perimeter defender and faster than most big men you could put on him. Outside of Sam Perkins and a few others, centers kept their ? in the paint and played with their backs to the basket. Players Durant and Dirk's size weren't out on the perimeter firing away 8-9 3's per game like alot of big men now.
  • blackrain
    Options
    SupremeXXV wrote: »

Zone defense was illegal in the 90's. It's relatively new to the NBA still
  • BlackxChild
    Options

There was illegal defense you couldn't run the zone atleast not to the extent they do now.
  • BlackxChild
    edited June 2013
    Options

You have to admit that it's a lot easier to score when a defender has to play defense with his hands at his sides as opposed to his hand on your hip. It's easier to get past a defender nowadays.

It's much easier to get past a defender on you're hip than it is to have players waiting for you in a 2-3 or 1-3-1 zone. Lebron would beast and give no ? about hand checking if you took out zone defenses.
  • its....JOHN B
    edited June 2013
    Options

katt-williams.jpg

The ? ?

No there hasn't always been 6'8-6'10 players with handle. That's why Magic Johnson til this day is seen as special, same with Penny Hardaway before the knee injuries. They were players the size of forwards playing PG. It's what helped make the triangle work in Chicago because Pippen essentially was playing 6'7 PG out there too. That ? wasn't a normal thing, hence why two of the teams I mentioned having forward size PG's running their offense both dominated the league for long stretches. You say Dirk has no handle, even if that were true that doesn't negate his shooting range which PF's and centers didn't have in the 80's and early 90's in the same amount they do now.

You say Durant is 6'10 like that's little. There were center playing at 6'10 in the 90's. At his size if he played 20 years ago with his same skill set he'd have a clear advantage because he's taller than a perimeter defender and faster than most big men you could put on him. Outside of Sam Perkins and a few others, centers kept their ? in the paint and played with their backs to the basket. Players Durant and Dirk's size weren't out on the perimeter firing away 8-9 3's per game like alot of big men now.

I didn't say he 6'10 like hes little, I said he's 6'10 like he only has an inch on Magic who had some of the greatest handles of all time, I didn't say there were always "a lot" of guys 6'8 to 6'10 that had handles, but theres always been players considered special at that size that could handle, Durant isn't the first we seen, Dirk doesn't have handle, and your wrong about Durant and having an advantage back in the day, it wouldn't be any different than how it is today, you have an advantage with Durant in your lineup just because you have Durant in your lineup and hes a great player not just because hes 6'10 and can shoot, OKC still needs Ibaka and Perkins in the lineup because if Durant is playing power forward even though hes 6'10 the other team now has an advantage
  • SupremeXXV
    Options

It's much easier to get past a defender on you're hip than it is to have players waiting for you in a 2-3 or 1-3-1 zone. Lebron would beast and give no ? about hand checking if you took out zone defenses.

http://youtu.be/bQ9dBEcI_hE

Hope you watch the video. I believe Lebron would get his buckets, but it wouldn't be THAT simple.
  • BlackxChild
    edited June 2013
    Options

http://youtu.be/bQ9dBEcI_hE

Hope you watch the video. I believe Lebron would get his buckets, but it wouldn't be THAT simple.

Yes there are instances where teams ran zone.... That doesn't mean teams where running zone throughout a whole game. Congratulations on showing a few instances where teams ran zone on Jordan imagine if he had to deal with it throughout a whole game...

Zone defenses weren't allowed til 2001... Congrats on showing highlights.... Alot of players started to struggle against zone defenses ALOT of the greats did when a team would run an illegal defense.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Players are faster and stronger, but the skill level is WAY down IMO. Featured Centers don't have post moves (Dwight, Tyson etc.), so-called superstars wing players don't have jumpers (Lebron, Wade etc.), featured point guards can't shoot at all (Rondo, Westbrook etc.)

? is ridiculous to not be able to perform the required skills needed for the position you play. Dudes got quicker and stronger, but forgot all about the fundamentals.

How the ? are you the "best player in the league," but all dudes have to do is zone you and you're no longer effective? ? like that is laughable. A zone defense would not have even slowed down Jordan one bit. Dude would have mid-ranged the opposing team to death until they figured out how dumb that defense is against a wing player with real basketball skills.

i was wit u til da bolded, Lebron shot around 55% from da field u think it was off all dunks bruh, dude shot 40% from 3 how does he not have a jumper? lls also Russell Westbrook has da best pull up midrange jumper in da league do u watch these guys play outside of Kobe dawg?

Westbrook game is the transition pull up jumper and flash to the hoop. He does not have a consistent shot, not at all. Lebron's jumper goes broke from time to time also although he's climbed mountains in that regard.
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    Jordan's jumper went broke from time to time. Kobe was a better jump shooter than Jordan.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jordan's jumper went broke from time to time. Kobe was a better jump shooter than Jordan.

Like Kobe's didnt
  • BlackxChild
    Options
    Hand checking and holding a big player like lebron isnt going help you play better defense hes too strong for that to matter it's better to play off him. Also even though someone showed a video of few instances where people where playing zone in Jordan's era there are still players hand checking others in this era.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Westbrook game is the transition pull up jumper and flash to the hoop. He does not have a consistent shot, not at all. Lebron's jumper goes broke from time to time also although he's climbed mountains in that regard.

a guy wit a broke jumper doesnt score at least 30 points on at least 60% shootin for 7 straight games, dawg u cant go under da screens on Bron dis aint 2004 he's splashin dat jumer down at an elite level, stop it. yall are trippin in here lls