Jay-Z - 'Magna Carta Holy Grail'

Options

Comments

• Maximilyan
    Maximilyan Members Posts: 48
    Options
    Album keeps getting better to me. one thing i cant understand though, is how the ? did Versus make it on the album? ? doesnt even make sense.....
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Iono what transpired...But Jay and Dame needa gon make up...? , don't talk all this mob ? on yo album if you ain't gon look out for your real family...Don't diss Baby if you gon treat Dame like Manny...
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A1000MILES wrote: »
    Iono what transpired...But Jay and Dame needa gon make up...? , don't talk all this mob ? on yo album if you ain't gon look out for your real family...Don't diss Baby if you gon treat Dame like Manny...

i respect this post, wouldn't mind seeing dame around smh kanye needs his ass someone need to tell that nicca ? is wack b

• texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Idk if this album a classic but it feels like it too me..i actually aint feelin the BBC song as much as other ? but whatever.. beat sound like some nelly furtarto ? but that aint exactly a bad thing.. i ? with that timbo too..i appreciate this for what it is without all that extra ? and this ? knocks.. i bumped bp3 but other than a few song, i didnt really listen to it much after a few months and the only reason i did for that long was cuz i just wanted some new jay music.. it didnt have that feeling of some classic ? ... this does too me.. some of u ? , idk what yall expecting but it seems like yall wanted dude to drop some knowledge on alternate universes or some ? .. i dont.. lyrically he still got it imo.. but thats just my take.. this will be on repeat for quite some time
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly, Jay been doing a variation of this flow since The Blueprint. When he went from "rapping"...to straight up just "talking to ? ". Its a laid back, confident flow that demostrates he has nothing to prove (cause he doesnt) and better represents his age and status in Hip-Hop. I don't think he sounds bored.
  • thedesolateone
    thedesolateone Members Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    imo this album is trash, dude was on point when he said' light'
    from an artistic approach this is wack perhaps it makes sense business-wise
    the nas collab was the worst, beyonces hook was good on part2 ill give her that
    the best part of the album was half way through picasso baby when the beat switches up
    he came lyrical over sick production,the concepts of this album were good but poorly executed
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shut the ? up with this "nothing to prove" nonsense. Making music isn't about proving yourself.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Maximilyan
    Options
    "Push your ma'? wig back, I did that
    I been wilding since a juvi"

I didnt even catch that he was making refernce to Juvenile whilest using his flow/cadence.
  • Sweat jones
    Sweat jones Members Posts: 641 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    lazypakman wrote: »
    As far as solo Jay-Z albums go...

? Tier (in no order)
    Reasonable Doubt
    The Blueprint
    The Black Album
    American Gangster
    Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life
    Magna Carta Holy Grail

Mid Tier (in no order)
    Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter
    In My Lifetime, Vol. 1
    The Blueprint 2: The Gift & The Curse
    The Blueprint 3

Garbage Tier (in no order)
    Kingdom Come
    The Dynasty: Roc La Familia

That's a 3 hot albums every 10 years average.

? "no-signing". I looked over my post again, I don't see no problems? Where did I go wrong?

put bp3 and and vol.1 down and bump dynasty up and your good.

vol.1 is a pretty forgettable album for most parts,aside from a couple of tracks ('you must love me','streets is watching' and a couple of others)who can say they still bump that on the regular with the rest of the catalogue?it was decent at the time and I wouldn't say its garbage but its his worst ageing album,a lot of it sounds really ? corny now.

bp3 was just ? .first time I actually felt embarrassed for hov.he tried to be all things to all people and it didn't work.I don't know what kind of blueprint he thought he was setting up with that album but the ? should have been destroyed before it was ever built.

dynasty has some of his best work on it,there's no way it should be classed as garbage,'this can't be life' is a classic,just for faces verse alone.and 'i just want to love you' is arguably his best club track aside with 'big pimpin'.yeah there's some ? on there but the production is mostly nice.

the rest I pretty much agree with,aside from this.i usually let albums of this magnitude digest for a while to see how it holds up.i think within a catalogue this deep that's how every hip hop listener should evaluate albums.
    The first 7 or so tracks on BP3 are pretty decent to great...then the album falls off a cliff completey (except for Already Home). I say mid-tier for a half and half album.
    8 decent to great songs on an album outta 14 tracks = 53% listenable album = F grade

Bottom tier material
  • focus
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Shut the ? up with this "nothing to prove" nonsense. Making music isn't about proving yourself.

Hip-Hop is.
  • Sweat jones
    Options
    Dame kept it real
  • Sweat jones
    Options
    The teddy bears got me in a trance
  • focus
    Options
    KillaCham wrote: »
    lazypakman wrote: »
    As far as solo Jay-Z albums go...

? Tier (in no order)
    Reasonable Doubt
    The Blueprint
    The Black Album
    American Gangster
    Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life
    Magna Carta Holy Grail

Mid Tier (in no order)
    Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter
    In My Lifetime, Vol. 1
    The Blueprint 2: The Gift & The Curse
    The Blueprint 3

Garbage Tier (in no order)
    Kingdom Come
    The Dynasty: Roc La Familia

That's a 3 hot albums every 10 years average.

? "no-signing". I looked over my post again, I don't see no problems? Where did I go wrong?

put bp3 and and vol.1 down and bump dynasty up and your good.

vol.1 is a pretty forgettable album for most parts,aside from a couple of tracks ('you must love me','streets is watching' and a couple of others)who can say they still bump that on the regular with the rest of the catalogue?it was decent at the time and I wouldn't say its garbage but its his worst ageing album,a lot of it sounds really ? corny now.

bp3 was just ? .first time I actually felt embarrassed for hov.he tried to be all things to all people and it didn't work.I don't know what kind of blueprint he thought he was setting up with that album but the ? should have been destroyed before it was ever built.

dynasty has some of his best work on it,there's no way it should be classed as garbage,'this can't be life' is a classic,just for faces verse alone.and 'i just want to love you' is arguably his best club track aside with 'big pimpin'.yeah there's some ? on there but the production is mostly nice.

the rest I pretty much agree with,aside from this.i usually let albums of this magnitude digest for a while to see how it holds up.i think within a catalogue this deep that's how every hip hop listener should evaluate albums.
    The first 7 or so tracks on BP3 are pretty decent to great...then the album falls off a cliff completey (except for Already Home). I say mid-tier for a half and half album.
    8 decent to great songs on an album outta 14 tracks = 53% listenable album = F grade

Bottom tier material

But you have to then compare BP3 to the other F Grade albums. Kingdom Come and The Dynasty do not have 8 listenable tracks. Compared to those albums, suddently BP3 becomes a C- . This ? only works on a curve.
  • Maximilyan
    Options
    Ur reaching

Nah son. Hova just the ? . Dude really is modern day picaso...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWqdv9YU7yE

Thats Juveniles track called "I did that"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL2txMU50CI

The cadence is most evident from this track.

"Push your ma'? wig back, I did that
    I been wilding since a juvi"

lol, niccass dont get the picture until flash is on.

• yroholla
    yroholla Members Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? Hov clearly took this "one take Hov" too seriously on this album tho.....how the ? you not clean up those verses where you was offbeat then proceed to dead ? on the rest of the Beach is Better track? dude is an ? lol
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    ...Sigh...Smh...Dro an Atlanta ass ? ...He don't like this ? like that...Stop tryna generalize us...

An exception dont negate the rule. *shrug*

Listen to the beats and flows. Jay knew what he was doin. And im convinced im right

You could made it easier on yourself said...

He simplified and borrowed the Southern cadence for ? who can't comprehend complex lyrics i.e. Down South ? who don't give a ? about that.

Now that it's out the bag...@A1000MILES is right. You're generalizing and dead wrong.

Jay's sharpness in his delivery has gotten dull because he's at a point where he doesn't have anything lyrically to prove anymore..especially to the Hip Hop heads.

Maybe that's why he said "? want my old ? , buy my old albums".

Lmao How do u say the bolded, then say the underlined??

'complex lyrics...we dont give a ? about that' Like thats some secondary ? lmaooo Ngga we sayin the same thing.

He threw yall a bone. He wants your demographic and he got it!

You're still generalizing because you think ALL Southern ? are like that but they're not. I don't know the percentages or numbers, but everyone from the South isn't like that.

Yeah, I'm from Alabama and I admit there are some ? down here that don't give a ? about complex lyrics, delivery, cadence but don't play that game with ALL the Southern ? on here.

And for the record..my GOAT MC is Rakim...RAKIM ? . I was raised in an Hip Hop era where I gives a ? .
    It aint just the lyrics, its the beats. And it aint just the southerners, but its the music culture that YALL started. Dont ? defensive lol, it is what it is. But w/out a doubt the whole 'strip club beat' ? came from right down south bro.

1 prime example: Beach is Better. Everybody seems to love that ? rite?

Who produced it? Mike Will aka Bandz aka new bugatti aka that Ciara song that samples perhaps the GOAT Atl song, 'Boo'...aka Mr. Strip club beat

So yes, Jay Z is now rapping over strip club beats and b/c thats all we hear these days nggas dont even bat an eye...and yes, i blame the south. *shrug*

• CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love the production on the album.
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...Sigh...Smh...Dro an Atlanta ass ? ...He don't like this ? like that...Stop tryna generalize us...

Listen to the beats and flows. Jay knew what he was doin. And im convinced im right

He simplified and borrowed the Southern cadence for ? who can't comprehend complex lyrics i.e. Down South ? who don't give a ? about that.

Now that it's out the bag...@A1000MILES is right. You're generalizing and dead wrong.

Jay's sharpness in his delivery has gotten dull because he's at a point where he doesn't have anything lyrically to prove anymore..especially to the Hip Hop heads.

'complex lyrics...we dont give a ? about that' Like thats some secondary ? lmaooo Ngga we sayin the same thing.

You're still generalizing because you think ALL Southern ? are like that but they're not. I don't know the percentages or numbers, but everyone from the South isn't like that.

Yeah, I'm from Alabama and I admit there are some ? down here that don't give a ? about complex lyrics, delivery, cadence but don't play that game with ALL the Southern ? on here.

And for the record..my GOAT MC is Rakim...RAKIM ? . I was raised in an Hip Hop era where I gives a ? .
    It aint just the lyrics, its the beats. And it aint just the southerners, but its the music culture that YALL started. Dont ? defensive lol, it is what it is. But w/out a doubt the whole 'strip club beat' ? came from right down south bro.

Who produced it? Mike Will aka Bandz aka new bugatti aka that Ciara song that samples perhaps the GOAT Atl song, 'Boo'...aka Mr. Strip club beat

So yes, Jay Z is now rapping over strip club beats and b/c thats all we hear these days nggas dont even bat an eye...and yes, i blame the south. *shrug*

? , what Jay have you been listenin to since 98...? been hoppin on all kinda different beats...Tryna fit into different markets..
  • killaguwop
    killaguwop Members Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? the up the world and heaven are ridiculous. the whole album is dope to me. this new watch the throne jay is progressing to a beast with crazy flow and fire lyrical delivery with deep themes and concepts.

mohammad hovi is a beast
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? , what Jay have you been listenin to since 98...? been hoppin on all kinda different beats...Tryna fit into different markets..

Yes, and 2006-2009 he hopped on damn near every Hou/Atl song, but he's never gon full 'ratchet' on a album cut

Then on WTT the first single is...

H.A.M. Ballgame. Im tellin u, he wants that lane...and he gittin it w/ this album. This thread is proof