Jay-Z - 'Magna Carta Holy Grail'

Options

Comments

• Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    There's only bout 3-4 tracks that are dope from jump in here. I'll listen again soon.

I'm not really feeling the beat selection, this ? sound a little like It and Yeezus were recorded around the same time but Hov put a little more effort

my ears don't bleed when I listen to this album bruh.
    yeezus was some other ? . the volume has to be turned down just to be cautious
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeezus is terrible i agree but his sounds like it would have been too if not or Jay's charisma and lyrics.
  • Pretty Fred
    Pretty Fred Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    Options
    this sh*t is fire, front to back.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AG is Jay Z's second best album IMO , its the sequel to RD

With its production (I guess) influenced by the first Blueprint album, but more sonic sounding this time .. .
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

so even without the Samsung deal jay would've done his average first week numbers
    s2jepeka wrote: »
    Jay-Z in his own words:

"Right now i have it at #4, but ya know, its fresh, so that can change."

You can take that to mean it can go UP and pass RD, BP, and BA (he's not stupid)

Or it means even he admits once the newness wears off, he'll come down to earth. Just like I've been sayin.

......or maybe he really feels it's his fourth best album

• JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nj2089 wrote: »
    This review video is real interesting to me .... It kind of sums up a lot of the discussion this album has sparked ...

The ? on the right is clearly a "Jigga Warrior" and he in that thang fighting for his life against his homies ... Lol

But the telling thing in this video to me would have to be Kinge & Myke ... To me they epitomize the disgruntled and disenfranchised Jay fan who would rather boggle their minds with confusion and overcomplication rather than to simply just allow the artist to be in the moment and judge the music off of that..

I mean just look at what Myke says (paraphrasing)

"yeah you know that Picaso ? I was getting into ... I was liking the way he was flipping the artist names and the energy........................................but then I realized its just more money talk!! ............. I ain't feelin it no mo"

Might as well have said..

"That ? jigga alllllllllmost got me!"

Lol.. it's like the ? went all out of his way to find a reason to basically force himself to stop liking what he naturally felt was dope ... Same bizarre thing I see with some comments on here "yeah that line is witty it's clever.......but these lyrics are WACK ? fell off!" Lol ... ? are literally trying to find anything to critique ... Not saying the album is perfect by any means but that whole mentality and type of hyper criticism (without being able to appreciate the redeeming qualities of a project) is funny to me
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay-Z in his own words:

"Right now i have it at #4, but ya know, its fresh, so that can change."

You can take that to mean it can go UP and pass RD, BP, and BA (he's not stupid)

Or it means even he admits once the newness wears off, he'll come down to earth. Just like I've been sayin.

You can say this album damn near every new album that comes out, everyone always overreacts to everything, so he didn't say anything profound there...
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Album ain't better than Vol 1 or AG

I just think those albums were more street oriented (as a whole) and that's why some will gravitate to them more

Cos those albums both have some valleys ..
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

no. that will never happen.
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

? asked if I was ?
    ? I'm supposed to say no?
    You already seen me turn a man to a G.O.A.T.
    You already know what I could do with the coke
    Dropped it in the water, made it disappear
    I made it reappear, I had that ? on a rope

Tough Bars right there
  • Infamous.H_G_C
    Infamous.H_G_C Members Posts: 263 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AG, BP, MCHG....eh MAYBE TBA.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it took me a min to like late registration too. as for Jay I've learned not to doubt him. when I heard the snipplets of ag I was like ? give be wack, got the album and was blown away. that was a nice reminder not to doubt jay.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

MCHG is easily than both those albums. MCHG has no bad songs on it imo, Vol 1 clearly has three (Sunshine, What girls like and Face off) and American Gangster is dope, it lacks the entertainment and balance than MCHG has.

Entertainment don't stick as much long term. Its just prisoner of the moment talk

I can bet money in 3,4 months i won't be listening to many of these songs. And not b/c their bad songs, but b/c once the thrill wears off, and there's no real lyrical depth to go back and 'vibe ' to....you gon be onto the next one. For example, when was the last time you proactively searchd and just HAD to listen to...On To the Next oNe?

On the flipside, I'll pop in Sweet, No Hook, Lucky Me, Imaginary Player, You must Love me, etc all the time just to listen to the deep ? he was sayin. This album doesnt have that as much, not even close.
    Another thing with Jay-z albums is ? always overreact and don't let his ? soak in. To me rappers like Jay and Lupe takes some time to get the subtle ? they say because they layer their albums with so much below the surface ? .

Cmon man, you know beter than to lump old jay z albums with the new. He is not as layered lyrically as he used to be.

You won't be listening to it and probably the rest of this board, but we all know this site is a niche site with niche fans with a specific taste, more than likely this album will ride out commercially and pop culture wise for the rest of the year.

Ya'll seem to think ya'll opinion are truly a reflection of the mass public. Ya'll ran off at the mouth about the same ? on BP3 and what happen, the most successful album of Jay-z career in total.

Heaven, Nickle and Dime,etc are just as deep if not deeper than any of that ? you just listed.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    American Gangster to me is his best album post-'retirement' .. And I still think its a good and not a great album

Nice smooth beats, crafty bars/rhymes and the theme/concepts with the film of the same name ..

That's the thing with Jay though, he kinda always makes you go back to appreciate his old stuff when the new music is lacking

I don't need to listen to an album more than once to "feel" it. ..

I've just saved 3 or 4 songs from MCHG - the rest have been recycled
    Which ones?
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

MCHG is easily than both those albums. MCHG has no bad songs on it imo, Vol 1 clearly has three (Sunshine, What girls like and Face off) and American Gangster is dope, it lacks the entertainment and balance than MCHG has.

Sunshine and what girls like are duds but the songs that were good on the album >

Tom Ford is embarrassing, La Familia is embarrassing. Part II i can do without, Holy grail same. I listened to it straight for a week. Maybe I'll feel
    Different in a few more rotations. The best on the album can't ? with a million and one questions, you must love me, where I'm from, imaginary player, lucky me. Maybe it's the when I was younger syndrome I dunno
  • lookdude
    lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Someone pass me a link?
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Sunshine wasnt even a bad song the video was just that bad
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So he really did a dis record on Harry Belafonte? Lol this ? weird, well at least he said his name
  • verbal juke
    verbal juke Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    So he really did a dis record on Harry Belafonte? Lol this ? weird, well at least he said his name

Yeah I have to agree, the blatant disrespect for an elder, community activist, civil rights leader, one of the great black performers was disgusting....
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay was supposed to let Belafonte's comments rock?
  • lookdude
    lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh

Lol I must've missed something
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay was supposed to let Belafonte's comments rock?

Could have found a better outlet to articulate than making a winey song and using words like "boy". It was a low point on the album.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn buttuh you've hardly said a word about this album. Usually you're one of jay's most vocal critics on here.