Chivalry = Benevolent Sexism

Options

Comments

• SixSickSins
    SixSickSins Members Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes- Chivalry is ? and should be deaded.
    goldenja wrote: »
    @SixSickSins

chivalry or not.

based on your answer from this poll

If we were to run into each other at the same gas station, and I held to door open for you.

would you even say thank you?

Of course. I'm polite.

My issue is when I'm fiddyleven feet away from an entrance and a male decides to hold the door wide open for me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the kindly implied politeness...but examples such as these are soooo unnecessary. Gon' bout ya business. If I'm super far away I can get it myself.
  • shit happens
    shit happens Members Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can you picture me victory dancing?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No- Chivalry is okay with me.
    jono wrote: »
    i think it is benevolent sexism, but I still think its one of those things that you just do for women.

Now if a woman wants to lift heavy boxes by herself to prove something to me then by all means go for it.

I just grew up doing things for women, children and the elderly and if anyone takes offense then I consider it some sort of inferiority complex. I'm not changing who I am because of another person's mental disorders though. I just let then do them.

Interesting answer. Why do you feel that it is something to do "just because"? Conversely, as you feel there may be a mental deficit, I believe that chivalrous men have a false superiority complex due to the incorrect belief that women are to be seen as helpless and damsels in distress.

No capes. I just do what I do, can't control how people choose to take it. At the end of the day these acts don't prove anything major, ? who cheat and beat their women may do the same things and a man that doesn't feel the need to open doors and pull out chairs could be a nice guy. So all these inferences of sexism are coming from some internal feelings not my actions in themselves.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Options
    goldenja wrote: »
    @SixSickSins

chivalry or not.

based on your answer from this poll

If we were to run into each other at the same gas station, and I held to door open for you.

would you even say thank you?

Of course. I'm polite.

My issue is when I'm fiddyleven feet away from an entrance and a male decides to hold the door wide open for me. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the kindly implied politeness...but examples such as these are soooo unnecessary. Gon' bout ya business. If I'm super far away I can get it myself.

So your beef is with the perceived motive.

Manism... not sexist..

• SixSickSins
    Options
    Thanks fellas, I appreciate hearing all the responses even though they differ from mine own. This is exactly how I pictured the poll trajectory to proceed {No>Yes}, lol. Please vote if you haven't, though!
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cosign all the men in here that say they do it accordingly every woman isn't deserving of that chivalrous treatment.
  • 9TRAY
    9TRAY Members Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm the most Chivalrous ? I know, Yo
  • playmaker88
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Thanks fellas, I appreciate hearing all the responses even though they differ from mine own. This is exactly how I pictured the poll trajectory to proceed {No>Yes}, lol. Please vote if you haven't, though!

So are you saying you conducted and experiment

tumblr_inline_mgudf2T82P1qjz5s2.jpg
  • SixSickSins
    Options
    Du_Du wrote: »
    everything i do whether it be nice or rude is because i want to do it,

i don't do ? for an external reward system, i do it because of how it makes me feel personally....

so if i hold a door for a lady, or pull out her chair, open the car door....

i do it because my ego has convinced me that i'm a helluva a guy, and this is what great guys do......

so i can give a ? less how the female feels about it .....as long as it makes me feel like i'm an awesome person for holding a door for your ass......you can be grateful or irritated....doesn't matter....i'm still awesome for doing it

Basically all that stood out in your post. Dull, chauvinistic, disgusting thought mechanism.

i'm a man....what you expect?

Based upon your inability to care about how the opposite sex feels on certain matters, how would you feel if [HYPOTHETICAL AHEAD] your wife refused to perform oral sex on you because "it made her feel awesome" not to? A complete disregard to your thoughts on the matter would not be acceptable/appreciated, right?
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hold the door open if I see someone behind me. Its just good manners.
    I don't open car doors for women. That's some ? .

Buyin' women drinks at a club, payin' for the whole first date and the such are also ? .
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think it is benevolent sexism, but I still think its one of those things that you just do for women.

Now if a woman wants to lift heavy boxes by herself to prove something to me then by all means go for it.

I just grew up doing things for women, children and the elderly and if anyone takes offense then I consider it some sort of inferiority complex. I'm not changing who I am because of another person's mental disorders though. I just let then do them.

Children and the elderly may need you to do ? for them. They are handicapped physically. Women are not.
  • playmaker88
    Options

Buyin' women drinks at a club, payin' for the whole first date and the such are also ? .

Co Sign.. this aint a Bronx Tale
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this thread is biased cuz the t/s persuaded me with her sexism ways
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Children and the elderly may need you to do ? for them. They are handicapped physically. Women are not.

"Need" is never a factor. I do things because Its what i do as acts of kindness for other people.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this world is becoming more uncivil day by day. I don't see nothing wrong with being chivalrous. young lady offered me a seat near her when I was on a crowded metro bus some years back it was standing room only. she didn't have to say anything to let me know there was some vacancy but she went out of her way. i'm chivalrous to those worthy of it though. known ? get the cold shoulder from me and I've literally left ? out in the cold during winter months aslo.
  • SixSickSins
    edited July 2013
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    I think you're thinking too deeply into it and majority of things viewed as chivalry are simply common courtesy. For example if I'm stronger than you, what sense would it make for me to watch you struggle carrying something I can lift/carry easier? I'll give up my seat to a woman older than me if I'm on the metro. If I'm at a door and I see you walking towards it I'm going to hold it. If you slow down your pace that's your own ? fault for going out of your way to prove a point that really serves no purpose. To take a simple act of kindness and turn it into some insult against your gender is egotistical and ain't really a good personality trait.

Deep topics invoke deep thinking. Not too much, though :) .

My point is this: Chivalry =/= "simple acts of kindness". You cannot truly view me as egotistical if I believe men should receive these same "simple acts of kindness" as well. However, they're geared soley towards women. A true anti-chivalrous egotistical would not wish to bequeath that same "kindness" to another human being, so you can miss me with that. Just delving deeper into the topic, nothing more/less. To take a simple thread and re-sculpt it into an insult against your superimposed male ego isn't really a good personality trait ^__^
  • Ghost Leopard
    Ghost Leopard Members Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chivalry, a custom introduced to europe by black moors serves a purpose. Before chivalry white men were treating women like ? like europe is the world capital of the hoh movement.

Today though, a lot of these hoes ain't got NO manners so chivalrous gestures go largely unappreciated and even clowned.
    I'll always treat my woman like a lady and my mother aunts sisters female relatives.

I like you new poster, but I will have to respectfully disagree. There's a difference between being a gentleman and being chivalrous imo.
    Agreed with black some ? is just common courtesy..

one thing i think is wack is if you you treat a girl different if shes is fat, ugly, or what have you from those who you perceive as dimes.. in acts of "chivilary" dont make them feel special.. or like a princess that their mothers and fathers said they were.. FOH.. COMMON... courtesy

Oh and you get about 3 steps towards the door anything else is just awkward as ?

Goated for promoting equality in this particular instance...even if it is sexist equality. Good objectivity in that regard.

There is no difference between gentleman and chivalry. Gentleman is an extension of chivalry.

However chivalry was reserved for the high society kings and queens and the like. Everyone else is just a commoner.
    Same rules applied when chivalry evolved into polite society with finishing schools common folk aspired to be gentle men, not ruffians who were fighting and bussin hoes upside the head. Women aspired to be ladies and not common wenches.

So no difference.
  • rico_ENS
    rico_ENS Members Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    chivalry= benevolent sexism=brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

u a bird for even thinkin sum ? like that thats y chivalry dieing cuz birds like u cant even tell the difference between manners/ common courtesy and a ? doin ? wit motives or incentives behind it
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    everything i do whether it be nice or rude is because i want to do it,

i don't do ? for an external reward system, i do it because of how it makes me feel personally....

so if i hold a door for a lady, or pull out her chair, open the car door....

i do it because my ego has convinced me that i'm a helluva a guy, and this is what great guys do......

so i can give a ? less how the female feels about it .....as long as it makes me feel like i'm an awesome person for holding a door for your ass......you can be grateful or irritated....doesn't matter....i'm still awesome for doing it

Basically all that stood out in your post. Dull, chauvinistic, disgusting thought mechanism.

i'm a man....what you expect?

Based upon your inability to care about how the opposite sex feels on certain matters, how would you feel if [HYPOTHETICAL AHEAD] your wife refused to perform oral sex on you because "it made her feel awesome" not to? A complete disregard to your thoughts on the matter would not be acceptable/appreciated, right?
    i would consider her very selfish...and as a result she would be held accountable for the consequences her actions brought upon herself...

everything we do is subject to consequences....

the consequences of me holding a door for a stranger because it makes me feel awesome.....are very mild in comparison to a wife pulling something like that in a marriage....there is no place for ego and being selfish in a marriage... so i don't think your hypothetical really holds any weight....especially in the context of being chivalrous...being as though chivlary can be demonstrated to anyone from strangers to those closet to you
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hey six is this the point you're trying to make

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90qpDg5y7Lo
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People can't even been courteous these days to others? LOL. On the real though I understand what @sixsicksins is trying to mean in the sense that some people only do these acts of kindness to the fairer sex when they should do them for all if they are truly a gentleman.

I honestly was taught to be courteous to all so I try my best to uphold my upbringings
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Co Sign.. this aint a Bronx Tale