Texas School Throws Child’s Breakfast In The Garbage To Bully Him Out Of 30 Cents

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
A 12-year-old boy was forced to sit in embarrassment at Barber Middle School in Dickinson ISD when cafeteria workers threw his food in the garbage

A quarter and a nickel. Three dimes. Six nickels. Thirty pennies. All equal 30 cents. This is the pocket change that a school punished a six grade boy for not having by taking away his breakfast and trashing it. Sound heartless? That’s because it is.
Barber Middle School threw a boy’s breakfast in the trash because he didn’t have 30 cents to pay for it.

A 12-year-old boy was forced to sit in embarrassment at the breakfast table at Barber Middle School in Dickinson ISD when cafeteria workers took his food away and threw it in the garbage. Why? Because the boy’s account was short a measly 30 cents. As a result, the hungry child didn’t get to start the day with a meal in his belly.

Instead of allowing the child to finish his meal, school officials tossed it and made him call his mother to have her bring money to the school. But even after calling his mom, the school refused to let him eat until they got their money. Basically, this was a shake down. The boy’s mom, Jennifer Castilleja, described what happened and expressed disappointment that the school didn’t deal with the situation differently.

“My son called me and asked me if I could bring him some money because they took his breakfast from him and he needed money for breakfast,” Castilleja told KTRK.

“I said, ‘Well, I’m on my way, I’ll pay for it. And she said no, I would have to bring some money before he could have breakfast. There were kids all around him. I think he may have been a little embarrassed and upset and, of course, hungry. Telling the child, we are going to feed you, but go to the office and call your parent and let them know that you need money. Anything than sending them to class hungry.”

Schools deny meals to kids too often in this country.

Apparently, it’s school policy to take food away from hungry children and throw it in the trash as they watch if they are a few cents short. According to the school district, they don’t allow students to charge meals on their account and they warn students when their accounts are low in funds. But that certainly doesn’t excuse taking away a child’s breakfast and wasting food by throwing it in the garbage. And it really doesn’t excuse letting a child start the school day on an empty stomach.

Unfortunately, this kind of situation happens across the country. Earlier this year in April, a school in Massachusetts took lunches away from students who didn’t have money. The school later apologized, but because of conservative hatred of poor people, more schools are doing this with impunity, especially in red states.
Conservatives cheer whenever a school takes a meal away from a poor child.

In September, a New Jersey school denied a student a school lunch to punish the child’s parents for being poor. This incident drew praise from a former counselor who appeared on Fox News to support the callous policy. Even Rush Limbaugh has called for letting children starve at school if they cannot afford to pay for a meal.

Add in the fact that Republicans are waging ideological warfare against the school meal program and it becomes all too clear that this is all about punishing poor people and their children. Taking meals from children hurts their performance in school.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=9316175
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/11/08/texas-school-breakfast-garbage/

Comments

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would have said, "And you're so ? poor you threw his food in the garbage."
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This sounds terrible on the surface...But I really can't see this happening without the lil ? poppin off at the mouth first...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    True...Which is why it sounds terrible...But placing myself in this situation...I've been embarassed when I had to put somethin back at school lunch...I never seen somebody get they ? thrown away though, and I could only imagine that the kid said some smart ass ? that escalated it...Either way the adult was wrong of course, but kids aren't always innocent...
  • Matt-
    Matt- Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apparently, it’s school policy to take food away from hungry children and throw it in the trash as they watch if they are a few cents short. According to the school district, they don’t allow students to charge meals on their account and they warn students when their accounts are low in funds. But that certainly doesn’t excuse taking away a child’s breakfast and wasting food by throwing it in the garbage. And it really doesn’t excuse letting a child start the school day on an empty stomach.

this seems to be a bad decision because what better way to teach children and parents to follow rules than to keep allowing them to break them.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    But it should have happened this way: "I'm sorry, unfortunately we have a very strict policy that we have to follow. You are going to have to collect another thirty cents or call a parent/guardian to bring the money. Sorry for the inconvenience."
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options
    Hind sight always 20/20 and there's always 3 sides to a story.
  • Gold_Certificate
    Gold_Certificate Members Posts: 13,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with this. He shouldn't have tried to buy a meal with money he didn't have.

Also:
    >breakfast

No ? given.
  • Leviathan616
    Leviathan616 Members Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I would have pulled 30 cents out of my own pocket if I had it just so that he could get his breakfast. Luckily, the schools up here where I'm at don't work like that. They allow the kids to owe up to $9 at my daughter's school.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol Got Damn, a Lunch ?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They don't allow charging accounts? LOL weak.

Over here they do. My kids get free lunch but damn @ that ? over there. Those students lost.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol @ cats in here advocating for not giving the kid any breakfast. SMH. ? really are savages out here.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The world we live in. A child doesn't have 30 cents for breakfast... So you throw away the food...

Let that marinate...
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Anonymous said they about to target them
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    Options
    they wrong but he a ? ? for letting them take his food.
    i woulda been fighting staff
  • Matt-
    Options
    thankfully, my parents weren't reliant on schools to provide me with some breakfast.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LPast wrote: »
    The world we live in. A child doesn't have 30 cents for breakfast... So you throw away the food...

Let that marinate...

Sad.

Wonder what they would've done if the kid went into the trash can to get the food.

I mean, it's trash now.....so it shouldn't be a problem right?

They couldn't say that was stealing could they?

Common sense isn't that common.

A kid's 30 cents short, so they throw away the food and don't realize that it's the equivalent of giving the food away.

smh

• Matt-
    Options
    Castilleja admits either her son forgot to relay the verbal warning or she forgot to replenish his account. Either way, she feels the policy should allow for breakfast charges that can be repaid.

yeah that would be a great policy that nobody would take advantage of. Schools should advocate the "i'll getchu back tomorrow" idea because it is not already prevelant in the world today. its harmless

"Or telling the child, we are going to feed you, but go to the office and call your parent and let them know that you need money," Castilleja suggested. "Anything than sending them to class hungry."

or don't send your child to school hungry

• Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    throwing away food, embarrassing the kid in front of his peers, deny the kid's nourishment to start the day over a quarter and a nickel...

rules are rules its not worth it...

kids have shot up school for much less
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in my middle school they would just give you a PBJ sandwich if you didnt have money to pay for lunch or breakfast
    something like that would've been a better solution. i fail to see what throwing food away would accomplish