Lets Discuss Buddhism (The Most Peaceful Religion Of All)

Options
2»

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    (Nope) wrote: »
    The statue most of you think is Buddha (the fat ? ) is not Buddha and Buddhists do not worship. This thread premise is flawed because Buddhism is not a religion. You can be a Buddhist Christian, Muslim, or Jew. Buddhism is about skillful means... empathy, impermanence, and right thinking.

I mostly agree but who is that statue of then? Fully agreed Buddhism is not really a religion, although he did believe in supernatural devas or spirits. He believed that these spirits could be good and bad and made clear even these spirits were not permanent things and were not all powerful. He didn't believe in an all creating ? or all knowng ? though because of all the evil and suffering in the world, and went so far as to say humans shouldn't pray to ANY ? . He wisely considered it a waste of time and believed our time is better spent trying to improve ourselves and the people around us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/? _in_Buddhism

Gautama Buddha rejected the existence of a creator deity,[1][2] refused to endorse many views on creation[3] and stated that questions on the origin of the world are not ultimately useful for ending suffering.[4][5]

• kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options
    http://www.hinduwebsite.com/buddhism/buddhaongod.asp

Buddhism believes in the existence of neither ? nor soul in a theistic sense. It is basically a religion of the mind, which advocates present moment awareness, inner purity, ethical conduct, freedom from the problem of change, impermanence and suffering and reliance upon one's own experience as the sole teacher, rather than an external authority, on the Eightfold path.

Buddhism does not even support the existence of an eternal and unchanging soul. According to Buddhism the whole existence is in a state of flux and there is nothing that is either permanent or unchanging.

Once in a while, he expressed his opinions about creation and the role of ? . When Ananthapindika, a wealthy young man met the Buddha at the bamboo groove at Rajagriha, the Buddha made a few statements about the existence of ? and the real cause behind the creation of beings in this world. These views are summarized as below:

1. If ? is indeed the creator of all living things, then all things here should submit to His power unquestioningly. Like the vessels produced by a potter, they should remain without any individuality of their own. If that is so, how can there be an opportunity for any one to practice virtue?

2. If this world is indeed created by ? , then there should be no sorrow or calamity or evil in this world, for all deeds, both pure and impure, must come from Him.

3. If it is not so, then there must be some other cause besides ? which is behind Him, in which case He would not be self-existent.

4. It is not convincing that the Absolute has created us, because that which is absolute cannot be a cause. All things here arise from different causes. Then can we can say that the Absolute is the cause of all things alike? If the Absolute is pervading them, then certainly It is not their creator.

5. If we consider the Self as the maker, why did it not make things pleasant? Why and how should it create so much sorrow and suffering for itself?

6. It is neither ? nor the self nor some causeless chance which creates us. It is our deeds which produce both good and bad results according to the law of causation.

7. We should therefore "abandon the heresy of worshipping ? and of praying to him. We should stops all speculation and vain talk about such matters and practice good so that good may result from our good deeds.

---The Buddha......MY ? !!!!
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The statue most of you think is Buddha (the fat ? ) is not Buddha and Buddhists do not worship. This thread premise is flawed because Buddhism is not a religion. You can be a Buddhist Christian, Muslim, or Jew. Buddhism is about skillful means... empathy, impermanence, and right thinking.

I mostly agree but who is that statue of then? Fully agreed Buddhism is not really a religion, although he did believe in supernatural devas or spirits. He believed that these spirits could be good and bad and made clear even these spirits were not permanent things and were not all powerful. He didn't believe in an all creating ? or all knowng ? though because of all the evil and suffering in the world, and went so far as to say humans shouldn't pray to ANY ? . He wisely considered it a waste of time and believed our time is better spent trying to improve ourselves and the people around us

Gautama Buddha rejected the existence of a creator deity,[1][2] refused to endorse many views on creation[3] and stated that questions on the origin of the world are not ultimately useful for ending suffering.[4][5]

It's the chinese version of maitreya Buddha, named "budai" the next being that will "turn the wheel of the dharma" which basically means bring the teachings to a new level.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Perhaps you didn't read my post correctly. My point was that Christianity and Buddhism are not equatable.
    perhaps you didn't read my post correctly, because...
    Who complained about people not talking about Buddhism?
    This thread was supposed to be a discussion of Buddhism as a religion, not how people who so happened to be Buddhists did some ? up ? .

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,089
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"No, although the statue is often referred to as the "Laughing Buddha" it is actually Hotei who symbolizes prosperity and happiness. Hotai (also known as Buddai in China, which causes confusion to Westerners) is a Chinese folkloric deity. His name means "Cloth Sack" and comes from the bag that he is usually depicted as carrying. The bag bag contains small presents including candy for children as children were viewed as a source of joy to the Chinese."

It's what Westerners are comfortable with.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Perhaps you didn't read my post correctly. My point was that Christianity and Buddhism are not equatable.
    perhaps you didn't read my post correctly, because...
    Who complained about people not talking about Buddhism?
    This thread was supposed to be a discussion of Buddhism as a religion, not how people who so happened to be Buddhists did some ? up ? .

That wasn't a complaint. That was redirecting the thread discussion back to what it obviously meant to be instead of it being perverted into a mere comparative study between Buddhism and Christianity.

But clearly, you're even less interested in the thread topic than zombie so I'll onlybe responding to posts related to the subject at hand: Buddhism.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Meroe wrote: »

It's the chinese version of maitreya Buddha, named "budai" the next being that will "turn the wheel of the dharma" which basically means bring the teachings to a new level.

Interesting
  • kingblaze84
    edited September 2014
    Options

"No, although the statue is often referred to as the "Laughing Buddha" it is actually Hotei who symbolizes prosperity and happiness. Hotai (also known as Buddai in China, which causes confusion to Westerners) is a Chinese folkloric deity. His name means "Cloth Sack" and comes from the bag that he is usually depicted as carrying. The bag bag contains small presents including candy for children as children were viewed as a source of joy to the Chinese."

It's what Westerners are comfortable with.

Ahh thanks for the details, makes sense he's portrayed as big
  • Melqart
    edited September 2014
    Options

Interesting

Sure is. I was once blessed to have seen artifacts of Shakyamuni (historical buddha) and others from the greatest of the tibetan masters. It was set up in a portable shrine that toured around the planet, that was going to be locked away until the coming of maitreya.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

Interesting

Sure is. I was once blessed to have seen artifacts of Shakyamuni (historical buddha) and others from the greatest of the tibetan masters. It was set up in a portable shrine that toured around the planet, that was going to be locked away until the coming of maitreya.

Damn you're lucky! I gotta look that up
  • Melqart
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Here's a picture I took

e9dmyr.jpg
  • Melqart
    edited September 2014
    Options
    fixed the image.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    That's a nice looking shrine
  • cainvelasquez
    cainvelasquez Members Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    ATL_DRO wrote: »
    DONT YALL WORSHIP BUDDA, THE STATUE?

U ARE WILL TO WORSHIP A MANMADE OBJECT?
    No matter how you slice it, this sh*t is idolworshipping = devilworshipping. lol @ Bowing down to a statue. I heard in Thailand people are bowing down to their king. That's what that idolworshipping leads to.

Muslims believe these people engaging in that will go straight to hell. I will not judge those people though, but I do feel sorry for them TBH.

_1369324690.gif
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    Options
    Muhannad X wrote: »
    ATL_DRO wrote: »
    DONT YALL WORSHIP BUDDA, THE STATUE?

U ARE WILL TO WORSHIP A MANMADE OBJECT?
    No matter how you slice it, this sh*t is idolworshipping = devilworshipping. lol @ Bowing down to a statue. I heard in Thailand people are bowing down to their king. That's what that idolworshipping leads to.

Muslims believe these people engaging in that will go straight to hell. I will not judge those people though, but I do feel sorry for them TBH.

_1369324690.gif

I know right? Even though you have Extreme Islam groups that would do crazy ? because it says to in their Quran. I take philosophy, so I know a lot about these things.
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reggie, I thought you said you were done posting in these forums...

What happened, Reggie?
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    Reggie, I thought you said you were done posting in these forums...

What happened, Reggie?

It's Gorilla alright
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    That wasn't a complaint. That was redirecting the thread discussion back to what it obviously meant to be instead of it being perverted into a mere comparative study between Buddhism and Christianity.
    complaining about people going off-topic isn't a complaint?
    i am starting to think you're misreading your own posts.
    But clearly, you're even less interested in the thread topic than zombie
    oddly enough, sometimes i find myself moderating in threads i really don't give a ? about. it's weird.

• GorillaWitAttitude
    Options
    I learned even more cool stuff in this thread about Buddhism. Thanks for contributing really am thankful.