RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meadiatakeout .... really bruh

Smh
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Damn I got 4 flags but the same story is on the AllHipHop.com homepage.

http://allhiphop.com/2015/01/18/jay-z-is-buying-hot-97/
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    I'll believe it once a reputable site reports it or Jay himself confirms it.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the idea that jay and melo and a group of people buying hot 97 is not crazy. wbls was sold in a package deal for 130 million and wbls is a top 5 radio station in nyc. hot 97 is not even top 10 anymore. so basically hot 97 is less than a hundred mil. this is not jay trying to get close to a billion up. him and melo alone should be able to buy hot 97
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    nohiphop1 wrote: »
    If it's true, how's HE buying it when it's other people's money?
    The heck?

According to the link they formed an investment group. It's basically the same way he bought the Nets basketball team. He'll put up 5% of the money along with a team of investors and be part owner.

An investment group can raise capital from hundreds/thousands of smaller investors who might invest $20k-$50k each. It's the investment group's job to raise the bulk of the money. Then guys like Jay Z add $10-$20 million.

You know he never bought the Nets, right?

He had less than 1% stock in it.
    That's not buying a company

That aside Emmis communications various radio station and is not selling one of their biggest in the #1 market.

I thought he had 5% of the Nets but I could be wrong.

Nah, it was a 1% ownership, which basically buying stock. It mean so little that he sold it. Obviously wasn't as profitable as assumed.
    Even 50 defined as owning a seat in the nets. it meant that little.
    I tell people all time time Jay-z makes thing seems bigger than they are. He's good at that. And thats a good thing for hustling.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    [yr?
    If it's true, how's HE buying it when it's other people's money?
    The heck?

According to the link they formed an investment group. It's basically the same way he bought the Nets basketball team. He'll put up 5% of the money along with a team of investors and be part owner.

An investment group can raise capital from hundreds/thousands of smaller investors who might invest $20k-$50k each. It's the investment group's job to raise the bulk of the money. Then guys like Jay Z add $10-$20 million.

You know he never bought the Nets, right?

He had less than 1% stock in it.
    That's not buying a company

That aside Emmis communications various radio station and is not selling one of their biggest in the #1 market.

I thought he had 5% of the Nets but I could be wrong.

Jay had 5% initially. Yet when the nets was sold. He was brought out as well.
    his 5%was reduced to less than 1%.
    Alot of ppl assumed Jay talked them into keeping his 1% so that he can be the face of the move to Brooklyn. In attempt to drown out the ppl who were against the move.
    Either or, Jay used his 1%,to put a rocawear store and a 40/40 club in the Barclay.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The figure was minscule at best but he was able to parlay that into something more benficial.

Sometimes you gotta think long term. Jay probably learned a lot with the little share that he had and with that knowledge he opened up Roc Nation Sports.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All told, he has achieved a remarkable feat of leverage with his tiny sliver of the team, which was reduced from one-third to one-fifteenth of a percent upon Mr. Prokhorov’s purchase of the Nets, according to people aware of the deal terms. (Mr. Carter, who declined to be interviewed for this article, retains a slightly larger sliver of the arena itself — just under a fifth of a percent.)

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/08/16/nyregion/with-the-nets-jay-z-rewrites-the-celebrity-investors-playbook.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Mediafakeout?

Clear Channel ain't gonna give away one of it's biggest markets like that.

Clear Channel doesn't own Hot.Hot has nothing to do w/ the other "Hot" stations .it's owned by Emmis communications.

Easy mistake to make though because most urban stations are clear channel or radio 1

• Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "1% of a billion more than ? ever seen/still they try and act like it's an everyday thing, clean"
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its ? up for Dip Set. They & their music gon be banned from the 40/40 & Hot 97 if this happens. Bird ? ?
  • wAXed_poetic
    wAXed_poetic Members Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Go figure wrote: »
    Would This Be Considered "Ether" to Nas, Cam'ron, 50 Cent, Dipset, Prodigy and everybody he's ever beefed with?

No. They should all come together and invest with him.
    If anybody can explain why Diddy, Master P, Dr Dre, Birdman and Jay Z didn't start a multimedia conglomerate 10 years ago then you're smart enough to solve the Davinci code.

Ask Suge and them
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "1% of a billion more than ? ever seen/still they try and act like it's an everyday thing, clean"

This.

? talking like he didnt eat well off that deal. Like the average ? would even be in a position to even have a conversation about owning 1% of an NBA team, let alone a team in NY. Come on with the ?
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Would This Be Considered "Ether" to Nas, Cam'ron, 50 Cent, Dipset, Prodigy and everybody he's ever beefed with?

If anybody can explain why Diddy, Master P, Dr Dre, Birdman and Jay Z didn't start a multimedia conglomerate 10 years ago then you're smart enough to solve the Davinci code.

Ask Suge and them

Slept on post..
    The FEDS shut that ? down quick..
  • willywanker
    willywanker Members Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    I'll believe it once a reputable site reports it or Jay himself confirms it.

• hoodsavior
    hoodsavior Members Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Young Stef wrote: »
    Hov a living legend endorsed Mo courtesy of Pun maintains a new york to texas connection courtesy of solange. Now he buying flex spot shouldn't have bucked at Dame ? cause now he state propped up no reasonable doubt.

Gwitty??
  • raheemclassick
    raheemclassick Members Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Mediafakeout?

Clear Channel ain't gonna give away one of it's biggest markets like that.

Clear Channel owns WWPR 105.1-FM - Urban contemporary / Not Hot97
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It wasn't even 1% though, first 1/3 of 1% then 15th of 1% when the big Russian destroyed the buildings.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    I just looked up Emmis Entertainment. Their stock is selling for $2.03 per share. Jay and his team have enough money to buy them out. I'm not sure how many outstanding shares they have but all he has to do is buy 51% of the company and that makes him/them majority owners.

Its not like Google or Apple where the company is selling for $600 per share.

https://www.scottrade.com/Search.html?q=EMMS
  • 5 Grand
    edited January 2015
    Options
    OK, I just did a search, Emmis Entertainment is selling for $2.03 per share and they have 43.57M shares outstanding. So it would take about $88 million to buy 51% of the company.

https://research.scottrade.com/qnr/Public/Stocks/Snapshot?symbol=EMMS

Edit. Pardon my math
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ask Suge and them

idk what forum suge posts on.

can anybody elaborate on this?