Comments

• Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh, I havent gotten a chance to see his interviews yet, I watch them later
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both F&L and TC have songs I can skip. I keep playing T&Y front to back.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Damn, just got done giving the album a run at the gym. ? is flames, I'd go buy it right now if Best Buy didn't close at 9.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I sit back and watch the world through the eye holes in my oil paintings
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    not sure what it means but that line stuck with me
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think thats because those albums have had time and they probably hold a certain value in your collection.

T&Y is a damn good album. When they first dropped I didnt play those albums as much as this.

Maybe individual songs but not the entire thing. Lyrically is debatable but production wise this album is better than those imo.

Itll take some time but they are all neck and neck to me.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    About it being better than The Cool? Hmmmmm.. too early to judge on that

The replay value of this new album is so high; I literally listen to it in bits every day but I think what really pushed this album to great heights was mainly the production (beats and engineering); better than on any of his previous albums. I know Lupe has been criticised sometimes for beat selection. That's not to take away from his lyricism at all

The Cool is an album I revere very much. The emotion in some of them lyrics man ..
  • ds.williams
    ds.williams Members Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »
    Just listened to TY and The Cool back to back. As much as I love The Cool...

Tetsuo and Youth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As much as I like this album and your critiques so far, I have to disagree with this statement. The Cool was transcendent and touched on many subcategories of hip hop and facets of music in general. Want a crossover track? Look no further than Superstar or Hi-Definition. Braggadocios offering: Gold Watch! Some gangsta sh*t? Put You on Game or The Die and the list goes on. The main reason that I feel The Cool is superior though is that it offers Fiasco's typical abstract dimensions yet it had a surface level that was accessible to the casual listener. Therefore it had a balanced duality, something that T&Y, in my humble, lacks because Tetsuo is Lupe at his most opaque.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    About it being better than The Cool? Hmmmmm.. too early to judge on that

The replay value of this new album is so high; I literally listen to it in bits every day but I think what really pushed this album to great heights was mainly the production (beats and engineering); better than on any of his previous albums. I know Lupe has been criticised sometimes for beat selection. That's not to take away from his lyricism at all

The Cool is an album I revere very much. The emotion in some of them lyrics man ..

Thats why I kinda feel over time it wont be better than The Cool. Songs like Intruder Alert are just too deep. The lyrics on the surface convey so much emotion. If you want to get into how it relates to the concept, fine, but the bare bones of that song is human. He talks about ? , addiction and poverty /immigration. It doesn't take a rocket science to understand that song.

There is no song on T&Y that delivers that type of feeling. Same with Hip Hop Saved My Life or Streets on Fire. Are those components like emotion and understanding enough to make it better than T&Y? Idk. We'll see though.
  • verbal juke
    verbal juke Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BobOblah wrote: »
    not sure what it means but that line stuck with me

You ever see them movies or cartoons, like Scooby-Doo when the person is watching what's going on behind a painting, the holes of the eyes is poked out to allow the person to see? That's what came to mind when I heard that.
  • King_sorrow
    King_sorrow Members Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    32k first week for lupe

smh he deserves better.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He knew he'd sell that much. Almost as if Atlantic didn't bother shipping 50k!
    Lupe will benefit extremely from being independent
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    petition to resticky this thread and put a copy of the album in the smithsonian
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    Myke C town said this is the best mainstream hip hop album in years and dude always ? on lupe too. Thats how dope this album is, turn haters into fans
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    Damn near everybody ? on food and liquor 2, am I the only one that loved that album?
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lincoln wrote: »

@sion please do the deed here. This thread ranks up there wit the GOAT "Lupe fiasco Qutoables" thread
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Damn near everybody ? on food and liquor 2, am I the only one that loved that album?

Not a bad album but imo just average
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    Lincoln wrote: »

@sion please do the deed here. This thread ranks up there wit the GOAT "Lupe fiasco Qutoables" thread

that thread was legendary.

Link to tha thread damnit!
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    And My opinion still stands. I wasn't speaking out of nostalgia. I gave both a clear and honest listen. The Cool has skippables to me, maybe not yall, but to me there are twor three track I do not ? with. And I love that album, but sonically, TY shyts on the Cool
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    *two or three. Smh
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Options
    chiyosuke wrote: »
    And My opinion still stands. I wasn't speaking out of nostalgia. I gave both a clear and honest listen. The Cool has skippables to me, maybe not yall, but to me there are twor three track I do not ? with. And I love that album, but sonically, TY shyts on the Cool

Which songs?
  • Ranxx
    Ranxx Members Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wasn't a lupe fan but I checked the album of the strength of this thread and this is the most I've enjoyed a rap album in a looong time. Prisoner 2 is my ? right now, great album up and down.
  • daboyag1
    daboyag1 Members, Writer Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    Options