KRS-One: Real Men Don't Exist In Mainstream Hip-Hop

Options
13»

Comments

• 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah Son wrote: »
    @5 Grand how do you feel about Kool Herc and Bambaataa?

I don't know what you mean. They are the forefathers and founders of Hip Hop. Just like Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie are the forefathers and founders of Bebop. But that's where it ends for me. I don't worship those guys. I just give them their props and keep it moving.
    I've always noticed the weird phenomenon of people holding conscious rappers to a different standard. Like if you're just some regular rapper who talks about ? hoes and making money no one expects anything of you but if you're a conscious rapper people expect you to be some of super humanitarian revolutionary.

I think that's why a lot of cats shy away from conscious material cause people start expecting them to solve world hunger.

Exactly. If you make an album addressing social issues and calling out government officials and politicians then people are gonna hold you to the same standard that you hold the government officials and politicians that you criticize.

I remember X Clan caught a lot of flack because they used to chase hoes and smoke weed after their shows. People said it was contrary to their image.

That's why I say musicians by their nature don't make good leaders or role models, especially rappers.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To paraphrase 2pac, "I won't change the world, but I will spark the mind of someone that will."

I think that is the importance of artists like KRS, Public Enemy, etc...
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Yeah I remember when Public Enemy first came out, before Rebel Without a Pause and Bring The Noise. It was when their first album was out and nobody knew who they were. They were interviewed in some magazine and Chuck D said that he wanted to create 5,000 Black leaders.

I was young at the time, probably 13 years old but that was the first time I'd ever heard a rapper speak like that, with that kind of determination. Most rappers were just talking about getting girls and living the life.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Yeah I remember when Public Enemy first came out, before Rebel Without a Pause and Bring The Noise. It was when their first album was out and nobody knew who they were. They were interviewed in some magazine and Chuck D said that he wanted to create 5,000 Black leaders.

I was young at the time, probably 13 years old but that was the first time I'd ever heard a rapper speak like that, with that kind of determination. Most rappers were just talking about getting girls and living the life.

Chuck D the goat.
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The only thing I was thinking was "mtv plays Hip Hop?"
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Can't take this dude seriously ever since he attempted to make Hip Hop a religion some years back. Smh.

Do you read the Reason bruh? lol For some of these nggas it is. They just dont know it. These nggas will follow a Big Krit verse before they follow a bible verse

And here's the kicker! Half the times these nggas who dont believe in ? are followin rappers who are using bible verses/theories in rhymes!

But i digress...

huh? Just because you a fan of an artist doesn't mean that you have to agree with everything they say. Do you have to be a Nuwaubian or 5 percenter to listen to Hov? You need to be Muslim to listen to Lupe?
  • JAHKUSTO
    JAHKUSTO Members Posts: 1
    Options
  • thedesolateone
    thedesolateone Members Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Options
    WHATS UP WITH MS. MELODY?!
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WHATS UP WITH MS. MELODY?!

she passed away a few years back

R.I.P.
  • Lustchyld
    Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, thread starter once again made a misleading thread. KRS never said real men didn't exist in Hip hop.

peep the entire interview infidel, he said "black boys is what you see on television" It was an indirect shot at mainstream artists similar to the lame ass ? he did when Nelly was killing soundscan
  • Lustchyld
    Lustchyld Members Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this fool just said 81-91 was the "golden era"...I rest my case
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lustchyld wrote: »
    Also, thread starter once again made a misleading thread. KRS never said real men didn't exist in Hip hop.

peep the entire interview infidel, he said "black boys is what you see on television" It was an indirect shot at mainstream artists similar to the lame ass ? he did when Nelly was killing soundscan

The words that came out of his mouth are that there aren't too many men left in Hip Hop. That's not what thread starter quoted.
  • rell e. rell
    rell e. rell Members Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn??? I haven't clicked the vid yet to check out what the man said & the community has just went in on kris. The ? did he say that's making y'all say stone him yet let him speak?
  • onthafly
    onthafly Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was a huge KRS fan when he first came out circa 87/88. He was talking about serious issues that people like Run DMC and LL Cool J were avoiding (gang violence, Black on Black crime, the whitewashing of history and the importance of knowing your history and being proud of your culture). I was 14/15 years old and he was what I would consider a positive role model.

But over the years, I got older and more educated. I got more sophisticated. My own personal views evolved and changed. I wasn't a teenager anymore and by the time I was 25 or 30 KRS's "revolutionary/activist" talk didn't impress me like it did when I was 14.

By the time I got into my 30s I started paying closer attention to what Dr Dre, Jay Z, Puff Daddy, Master P, Russell Simmons, Ice Cube and Birdman were doing. I started seeing rappers who started off as simply "rappers" building these multi-million dollar empires.

A lot of the so-called "conscious rappers" that I listened to when I was a teenager lost their steam. Groups like Public Enemy, The Jungle Brothers and X Clan made a huge impression on me when I was 14/15 but by the time I turned 30 their message was basically impotent. They weren't getting through. It was obvious that SAYING "fight the power!" And actually fighting the power is two different things. Listening to Dead Prez or Common is a step in the right direction. I'm glad they make music but I think musicians by their very nature don't make good leaders, or role models.

I could go on YouTube right now and make a video saying that we need a revolution and that we all need to get together and unite for a positive cause, but that doesn't make me a revolutionary. To be a revolutionary you need to lead an actual revolution, you need to force the government to change their policies whether it be through violence or peaceful demonstration.

Martin Luther King is a true revolutionary because he lead demonstrations that eventually lead to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

When you compare KRS One, Public Enemy, X Clan and even Tupac to somebody like Martin Luther King the rappers look like little kids playing in the sand while Martin Luther King is like an architect building a skyscraper.

So yeah, when I was 14 I was in awe of KRS One and the so-called pro black movement in Hip Hop. I thought the song Self Destruction was going to change things. But I'm older now. I realize the stakes are a lot higher than I thought they were. There's nothing wrong with conscious rap, but let's not pretend that these "conscious rappers" are revolutionaries. I'd take everything they say with a grain of salt and pay closer attention to what's going on in Washington and on Wall Street.

So you don't ? with KRS because he didn't Tao his message and brand to a mega corporate level? Do you have any clue how much of an impact he's had on behalf of culture? Because of him, the United Nations recognizes Hip Hop as a legitimate world culture.

Sounds good but unarmed Black teenagers are still getting shot down in the streets.

I don't give a ? if the United Nations recognizes Hip Hop as a "legitimate world culture". What does that even mean?

The emancipation proclamation sounded good but slavery still occurred. The civil rights act sounded good but blacks still be wrongfully arrested and convicted, denied educational and economic opportunities, and killed in cold blood. I didn't mention KRS and the UN as if it somehow solved a social problem. He's an activist and unless you've done more for an entire culture on the international scale, much less an entire nation of people than KRS-One, you have no room to criticize his progress or accomplishments.

Not really. This is a message board forum. The purpose of a message board is to discuss rap, rappers and Hip Hop in general. It's a public forum too so KRS is welcome to come to the board and state his views. As far as KRS goes, I first started listening to his music 29 years ago and I've followed his career. I think I have the right to state my opinion on his "activism" whether it be favorable or not.

In my opinion, Hip Hop and Hip Hop culture isn't that important. I grew up listening to the music and have been to dozens of clubs and shows over the years but I think the youth would be better off focusing on politics, criminal justice and finance rather than B-Boying DJing, MCing and Grafitti. You can make a living as a DJ or an MC but politicians and stockbrokers make way more money and are more able to create change because of the nature of their professions.

Rap and Hip Hop meant everything in the world to me when I was younger, now I feel like I wasted a lot of time while my peers were going to law school, med school and investing in the stock market.

I don't hear enough rappers encouraging the youth to go to college, get a graduate degree and learn a profession. Something to pay the bills and raise a family on.

Being an MC or a drug dealer is all most rappers talk about because it's all they know. When you've expanded your horizons, gone to college, worked and travelled you'll realize that there's a lot of topics that rappers are silent about because they just don't have the knowledge. When's the last rapper you've heard break down how the stock market works? Serious question.

Heard Nas mentioning learning about stocks in a song(I believe T.I. as well but who really understands what the hell he's saying) although trying to break down how it works in a rap wouldn't make for a good song. How many country singers, rock singers or artists of any genre break down how the stock market works or tell people to go to college? It's music. Don't try to change the rest of our perception of hip hop because you had misconceptions about it when you were a kid and eventually found out it was just entertainment. You basically just ? on the whole hip hop genre on a hip hop website to prove whatever point you were trying to make about how we should be following wall street and wealthy rappers like Jay Z and Dr Dre instead of socially conscious rappers because you just found out that those words can't magically change the world.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn??? I haven't clicked the vid yet to check out what the man said & the community has just went in on kris. The ? did he say that's making y'all say stone him yet let him speak?

welcome to the i.c. where so-called hip-hop fans love nelly and hate krs.
  • PapaDoc223
    PapaDoc223 Members Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When was the last time a rock star,country singer,pop singer mention the stock market to their audience? Ill wait. Also there is black doctors,lawyers and other professionals who listen to hip hop. To say you wasted your time listening to hip hop because they dont educated you on stocks,bonds,real estate is stupid. Music is entertainment point blank and simple.
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    But you just said:
    he beat up PM Dawn

KRS-One didn't beat up anyone

He was the leader.

Saying KRS didn't beat up anyone is like saying Charles Manson and Adolf ? didn't ? anybody.

Dude who gives a ? ? First of all it was PM Dawn. Second of all they talked ? and got thrown off the damn stage and the people in the place got treated to a moment of history and also a show 10 times doper than the ? they came to see. It's not like they murdered the dude or anything.

And let's not make it seem like KRS was some type of bully in this situation or that this was so far our of character. If dude would have studied his BDP Chapter 2 Verse 10 he would have known that KRS One is just the guy to lead a crew... right up to your face and diss you.

Also didn't the dude that got duffed out end up being outed as a ? ?
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Lol at Krs and Jay-z entering the game at the same time. C'mon 5 grand
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Lol at Krs and Jay-z entering the game at the same time. C'mon 5 grand

Do you disagree with me?
  • SneakDZA
    Options
    Word. By this logic Grandmaster Melle Mel should be Bill Gates status by now.
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    krs-one doesnt exist in mainstream rap
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    excellent vid dropin the op