Kendrick Lamar - "To ? a Butterfly"

Options

Comments

• CHICAGO_BREED
    CHICAGO_BREED Members Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you listen to "For Free?" & "For Sale?" you pretty much get what the internal struggle of the album is all about ... basically as a artist as a man in this country you work hard to cultivate and craft your art .. your skill ... whatever that may be .. so you take pride in it .. and obviously place value on it ..and since you don't wont to feel exploited .. you will go out of your way to make sure your not used "for free" in a literal sense ..

HOWEVER ... this society has its way of getting you by hook or by crook .. so when you go into "For Sale" its another internal struggle that an artist ..a man .. has to deal with ... you have to ask yourself .. well if your not for free .. then you must be "for sell" ... correct?? it has to be one way or another ... but the question is ...is there really a difference?? is the choice ultimately not just a double edge sword?? sure you get the money the fame the popularity .. all of these trinkets that the character "Lucy/Lucifer" has to offer ... but now your someones property .. your under someones control because your indebted to their cash flow for support ... you owe them your time your energy your life in a way ... and while most people will sign up for that all day .. there's real cost that come with that .. the detachment from the place & people that made you ...you... not being their for your sister who gets pregnant as a teenager when your preaching to crowds about self awareness ..having friends get killed and you cant even visit them in the hospital because of "obligations"

This album is essentially Kendrick explaining the complexities of what happens when you pluck a young black man out of an ostracized cast way land ..give him fame gratification and riches and tell him to adjust to this new world on the fly .. he is trying to deal with balance of "normalcy" especially coming from such humble beginnings ... cleverly he correlates his tale with that of another "rose from concrete" so to speak in Pac.. pretty much Pac is his guidance ..and he's telling the story of the album to him in bits and pieces stopping where every he see's a simularity with a situation Pac also went thru.. leading up to the end where he finally gets to talk to his guru ..but obviously a person can only lead/teach you so far before its time to tackle life on your own ..and that's where the album ends

My ? "props" for breaking that ? down like that.
  • daboyag1
    daboyag1 Members, Writer Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KDot dropped some amazing detailed lyrical imagery on this album.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    judahxulu wrote: »
    That ? sucks like Furious One at a backwoods gloryhole....

you forgot the @ @judahxulu backwards ass goat hurder..
  • judahxulu
    judahxulu Members Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »

OR I just wanted to see how hard you were stalking my posts ? lmao... and its hErder you pushed back Peter Weller robocop hairline having ass ?
  • CHICAGO_BREED
    CHICAGO_BREED Members Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    yeah To ? A Butterfly sucks, nobody wanna hear that artistic ? , Kendrick need to make dat real ? like O.T. Genasis

Prime example of ? being numb to garbage music and when real ether come to em they separate themselves from it like a ? with ass warts
  • judahxulu
    Options
    BDBIID wrote: »
    That ? is lukewarm curdled assmilk... what a dilemna when wackness is hidden in emotionally cloying, pro-black, pseudo-deep subject matter. such manipulation smh

You ain't gotta lie to kick it my ?
    You ain't gotta lie, you ain't gotta lie
    You ain't gotta try so hard
    Though some of that ? y'all pop true it,
    I ain't relating
    If I don't like it I don't like it-
    it dont mean that I'm hating
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BDBIID wrote: »
    That ? is lukewarm curdled assmilk... what a dilemna when wackness is hidden in emotionally cloying, pro-black, pseudo-deep subject matter. such manipulation smh

You ain't gotta lie, you ain't gotta lie
    You ain't gotta try so hard
    Though some of that ? y'all pop true it,
    I ain't relating
    If I don't like it I don't like it-
    it dont mean that I'm hating

Goat for the Common drop
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options

OR I just wanted to see how hard you were stalking my posts ? lmao... and its hErder you pushed back Peter Weller robocop hairline having ass ?

I see you was stalking those flags while you were hiding in your borrow right rodent king.
  • judahxulu
    Options

I see you was stalking those flags while you were hiding in your borrow right rodent king.

john amos hairline having ass ? ... look like you been rocking lace front bangs for all 48 years of ya life looking ass ? .... dont push me Im close to the edge hairline having ass ? lmao
  • victory_kid
    victory_kid Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am sure it is the instrumentation that got people feeling otherwise about this album... if it had beats like on GKMC most people would be all over it, which is fine, you cannot please everybody.

He definitely had a lot to say and he wanted that to be the main focus, he took a huge risk at going left with this album and he did a good job at crafting it.

To me, this is his "? /Untitled" art piece.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dunno bout this one. Good kid had me by the 1st few tracks this one took like 5 songs in for me to be like yeah this is dope. Gonna give it some more burn tho. But if i gotta compare cole and k.dot based on the last efforts cole got him.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options

john amos hairline having ass ? ... look like you been rocking lace front bangs for all 48 years of ya life looking ass ? .... dont push me Im close to the edge hairline having ass ? lmao

But why your hairline look like it been around the way. Look like you got a bowl cut on the front. Why you don't got no definition like you just said ? it, i'm just gonna go with a half moon today.. Ol imma wear my grand mama style today ass ? . Ratatouille looking cornball. I hope you cooking something up in the kitchen to compete with Kendrick.
  • J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Like I've said since the night this album surprisingly dropped, I can see a part 2 of this album dropping. Although I'm vibing with this album, something is missing. I think it needs a couple hood songs like GKMC had.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    (ob)Scene wrote: »
    Why does every album discussion gotta devolve into a pointless debate over the ability of other MC's. Don't we have those dedicated threads already? The ? that gotta do with the quality and content of the album.

Had the Internet been around in 82' ? would've been on here calling Thriller trash b/c in their opinion MicJack can't hold a note like Ron Isley.

If you go into your critique and your point centers itself around a project being trash because it's not "album x," then Ima need both you & your typing fingers to shut the entire ? up.

• StoneColdMikey
    Options
    No skippable tracks
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Wasn't feeling the album don't be mad I have my own opinions and I am not a sheep. They forcing the hell out of Kendrick though like he the 2nd coming.......he took a step back with this album
    zombie wrote: »
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    Not feeling this album at all

You must me a cracka then

? the album is underwhelming and I don't care what your subject matter is if it's wack
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    One of the worst albums I heard in awhile

....Suffering From Poverty Eardrum Syndrome Perhaps?

No ? I just don't ? like the album that much
    Agreed. The ? was pretentious and self-indulgent. ? just doesnt sound good. Mufuckas doing too much and forcing ?
    DAMMIT MAN!
    ibaKEnXJx9YFpz.gif

Yess Yess ..Its Worse Than I Initially Thought... As I Expected ... It Looks Like We Have A Devastating TRIPLE Dose Case Of P.E.S (Poverty Eardrum Syndrome) On Our Hands Here ...UnFuckingbelievable Its Spreading Rapidly These Days And Unfortunately For You Young Fellas It Seems To Have Hit You Hard With No Signs Of Remission...

You Know I Just Pray You Dont Blame Yourself For Your ..... "Problem" ... And Dammit I Pray That You Dont Pass It On To The Got Damn Children!!!... They Dont Deserve This ? ... I'd Hate To See Your Seeds Fall Victim To Hereditary Defects Feel ME?

? off. Im older. I listen to all types of ? from classical to rock to jazz. like all kinds of hip-hop from old to newThe music itself was very discordant, jarring while the lyrical approach was vapid and pseudo-intellectual. like i said..totally ? pretentious and self-indulgent...

tumblr_m54o61prqe1r2gow4o1_400.gif

GOT DAMMIT YOU STOP THAT ? RIGHT NOW!

..... you will never get better if you don't ACCEPT YOUR PROBLEM....you are DEFECTIVE ... like one of them busted ass George Forman grills chilling in a returns bin at Walmarts customer service department... Your advanced P.E.S has rendered your listening ability largely useless

Now Dammit Its Time To Stop The Shenanigans ..be a grown up And Face The Fact That YOU ARE BROKEN... this is the only way you can move on...

Im Sorry.... It Is What It Is Dammit... Blame Your Creator

foh ? ...my musical taste is not governed by your opinion. that ? is intellectual music for halfwits. you ? in this generations music has been so ? that less ? ? seems like the ? by comparison. that ? is basically a soundtrack for beta males. imean come the ? on. the ? alludes to lucy/lucifer being some sort of antagonists but slips in the same luciferean values muddled between the wordplay and half cocked rants hidden in a bunch of unnecessary vocal embellishments and yet more rambling wordplay. socially based music is cloying when its that heavy handed and heavy handed served abstract is that much more annoying when there is no connecting factor. ima need you to eat a hot bowl of braised blood clots with a rusty safety pin.

It's ok my ? ....we're your friends here ...we know this must be hard on you ...so me and @stonecoldmikey are organizing a cookie drive to help raise money for P.E.S research ....cos dammit no one deserves to suffer the way you are ...and it just breaks me up to know this ? has claimed another victim....this ? ain't fair!

We're going to have snicker doodles white choclate macadamia and peanut butter (my favorite!) .....listen brother we will fight this thing head on as one!

I'm gonna get the movement started on twitter now

#FuckP.E.S

....think we should make some T-Shirts?
  • judahxulu
    Options
    It's crazy to see ppl not liking the production. Pure musicianship going on here. Dudes in the studio with saxophones, trumpets, bass guitars, pianos, guitars, real drums, & Rhodes. I feel like my Jazz loving Dad would appreciate this body of work. Guess it's a style thing.
    Thats the thing... I like jazz. I go deep in the crates on that ? . When I said the production sounds like Dangermouse doing a bad Robert Glasper impression I was being deadly accurate. I can appreciate his ATTEMPT but ....the ? sounds discordant to a musical ear...especially how they decided to do the vocals. If you ? with jazz YOU GOTTA KNOW WHEN TO ROCK THE BREAKS. Sonically the ? was doing too much and not enough at the same time

• J.J._Evans
    J.J._Evans Members Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's crazy to see ppl not liking the production. Pure musicianship going on here. Dudes in the studio with saxophones, trumpets, bass guitars, pianos, guitars, real drums, & Rhodes. I feel like my Jazz loving Dad would appreciate this body of work. Guess it's a style thing.

This is exactly why some people may not like the album.

For some people, there is too much jazz & spoken word in the album. It's missing a couple songs that are straight hood.......'Money Trees' and "swimming Pools' for example.
  • StoneColdMikey
    Options
    An album doesn't need those type of songs on there. If they can't get jiggy with this then whatever
  • judahxulu
    Options
    J.J._Evans wrote: »

This is exactly why some people may not like the album.

For some people, there is too much jazz & spoken word in the album. It's missing a couple songs that are straight hood.......'Money Trees' and "swimming Pools' for example.

My contention on that wise is Im a fan of jazz and spoken word. Being that Im familiar with it, to my ears he definitely tried to go that route but IT WAS DONE POORLY. If youre going to go there then the ? needs to be done RIGHT. Your dad would probably say it sucks too
  • judahxulu
    Options
    Its like that ? Alice Coltrane was putting out. You wanna get behind it because of the Coltrane name. If youre a jazz fan you were "supposed" to like it. But the ? was totally an exercise in her ego and sub-par. Thats what Kenny is on this album. ? Alice Coltrane.