2»

Comments

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee
    ie:

Clockers - Interrogation Scene: https://youtu.be/GVDOFfDssxE

The way he presents our existence in this country is like a time capsule. You font get this raw truth on tv. Who woulda think that kids in the projects are actually jus ? kids, as this movie shown, vs mindless animals which this cop and america thinks

More important director

okay FINE!
    Spike it is..

was on the fence..
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee
    ie:

Clockers - Interrogation Scene: https://youtu.be/GVDOFfDssxE

The way he presents our existence in this country is like a time capsule. You font get this raw truth on tv. Who woulda think that kids in the projects are actually jus ? kids, as this movie shown, vs mindless animals which this cop and america thinks

More important director

okay FINE!
    Spike it is..

was on the fence..

inglorous ? is my ? tho!!!
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    Spike with the come from behind lead after Black Guilt kicked in

Kinda like the Lupita vs Adrianne Bailon poll in illpix
    I'm the lone holdout for Spike huh? Just for Malcolm X and Do the right thing Spike should be winning this but I digress.

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    tumblr_inline_mzf3zyUn5d1qcb3ln.gif

damn thats a hard one but i had to go with Tarantino...he's just never disappointed

not at all saying Spike isnt a ? genius....I just simply have more QT's in the collection
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    Outside of Malcolm X, I never really been a fan of Spike. I'd rather watch a John Singleton (boyz in the the hood/higher learning/baby boy) or Hughes Brothers(dead presidents/menace to society/American ? ) film before a Spike film.

With that said, Malcolm X is in my top 5 of alltime.
  • thephantasm
    thephantasm Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    Tino.

Lee never made a good movie.

All he ever does is Jim Kelly knock offs.
  • a-grave247
    a-grave247 Members Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can't vote. Both are influential and amazing film makers. Both have classics and different filming voices Pulp Fiction Do The Right Thing, Reservoir Dogs, 25th Hour, Clockers, Django Unchained, Inglorious ? ,Clockers,Jackie Brown. It's two hard to favor one over the other.

• Big Kola
    Big Kola Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee
    I mean QT movies are extremely good, but Spike Lee movies changed the way I view life.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee
    This is comparing apples and oranges

But let me see...

For me...

Spikes best flick is X...for obvious reasons

QTs best film is Jackie Brown

X>>>Jackie Brown...its the directors most mature and organic work

So its Spike is the better film maker

I don't think QT has an "X" in him, while i feel Spike could out Jackie Brown a "Jackie Brown"

Than spikes "X" and "Crooklyn" are two of my fav movies of all time
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    Malcolm X is very good film & definitely his most important film. But its definitely not Spikes best from a filmmaking standpoint.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee

I'm not even gonna type a lot but I'm going with Spike just based off originality in his filmmaking compared to QT who's borrowed from film genres..

However QT's movies are like events in themselves when released and are enjoyable to watch (mostly under the influence); he's an auteur

http://youtu.be/yGxWoppTujU

^^ go to 0:33
    And apparently Tarantino is a fan. LOL
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Malcolm X is very good film & definitely his most important film. But its definitely not Spikes best from a filmmaking standpoint.

Expound...lol
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »

I'm not even gonna type a lot but I'm going with Spike just based off originality in his filmmaking compared to QT who's borrowed from film genres..

However QT's movies are like events in themselves when released and are enjoyable to watch (mostly under the influence); he's an auteur

Spike aint that original neither . I see scorsese in his work at times.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    TheGOAT wrote: »

Expound...lol

Like i said its definitely his most important and significant film. But its a 3 and half hour docu-drama.

It doesn't have the replay value of a Do the Right Thing, Clockers, or Crooklyn.

Here is 3 mins that could have been trimmed from the film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1OVvdeaVGw&app=desktop

Not saying its not a great film. I own it and it should be required viewing but IMO not hit most enjoyable work
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Spike Lee
    rip.dilla wrote: »

Spike aint that original neither . I see scorsese in his work at times.

Yep. They both rep the same city (NY) and Scorsese has produced one of Spike's films (Clockers). I believe they'd be a level of respect and admiration for each other's work

Spike calls his films "joints" and has his production company named after refrences and terms used in the Jim Crow era. Plus the moving 'Doll Technique' he uses in his films are all signature to his originality IMO
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Quentin Tarantino
    I went with QT.

The best movie of all of them is MALCOLM X.

But Spike have movies that I absolutely hated. And QT has not made a movie I didn't enjoy yet.