What Beef Had the Most Benefit for HipHop as a Culture???

Options

Comments

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eazy e vs Dre made the best music and videos imo.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BDP(KRS) Versus Juice Crew(Shan)
    S2J wrote: »
    Man yall need to do yall history lol smh BDP crushed a whole style of rap. The origInal purpose of the rapper was basically to tell you how good his DJ/CREW was. Mc Shan was still rappin like that. Just look at the rhyme pattern

Mc Shan, The Bridge

Hip hop was set out in the dark
    They used to do it out in the park
    Every place they said his name it rang an alarm
    Otherwise known as Mean Teen Tom
    A brother who's known for his rap
    Jabby Jack, Larry Lah, third least not last
    A cool brother by the name of Gas
    Face Brothers made you get loose

Dimples D, the girl, she was great
    Her and Marley Marl went and cut a plate
    They used to rock it out in the place
    And the title of it was 'Sucker DJ's'
    And then he strolled along one day
    And then he walked into a girl named Shante

1, 2,3...1,2, 3. Repeat, etc. Not even dissin, but like a nursery rhyme. Literally.

Now BDP, Bridge is Over

They wish to battle BDP, but they cannot
    They must be on the ? of who? DJ Scott La Rock
    Cause we don't complain nor do we play the game of favors
    Boogie Down Productions comes in three different flavors
    Pick any ? for the flavor that you savor
    Mr. Magic might wish to come and try to save ya
    But instead of helping ya out he wants the same thing I gave ya
    I finally figured it out, Magic mouth is used for sucking
    Roxanne Shante is only good for steady ?
    MC Shan and Marley Marl is really only bluffing
    Like Doug E. Fresh said "I tell you now, you ain't nothing"
    What's the matter with your MC, Marley Marl?
    Don't know you know that he's out of touch
    What's the matter with your DJ, MC Shan?
    On the wheels of steel Marlon sucks
    You'd better change what comes out your speaker
    You're better off talking bout your wack Puma sneaker
    Cause Bronx created hip-hop, Queens will only get dropped
    You're still telling lies to me
    Everybody's talking bout the Juice Crew
    Funny, but you're still telling lies to me

Just look at the difference in the length of a bar! Plus KRS was actually shyttin on nggas, PERSONALLY. Not to mention he was confident enough to actually... SWITCH his flow!?!?!? On some jamaican ? . Nggas was still doin 1, 2, 1,2, 1, 2 and he came and spit some patois on nggas!!!?! Its a sad day in hip hop if yall dont realize this

I actually think Kool Moe D did more to change the way people rapped when he ethered Busy Bee, but that wasn't an option. It was also a short battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhuqTecycQQ
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Great thread. I was gonna say nas vs jay but that was on a small scale, we got 2 classic albums in Stillmatic and Blueprint, plus the resurgence of Nas...thats about it

But w/ BDP? Ngga...Mfers might still be rappin like Curtis Blow if not for that. That was the record that took the gloves off rap and made it ok to be personal, and not rap w/ the same 'hip hop, a hippity, ha ha!' style.

Bruh,
    I agree with your post 98%..
    The other 2% I have to give credit to Kool Moe Dee,
    for destroying Busy Bee's ? party rhymes with actual battle rhymes..

But you're right Krs 1 took ? to another level with that "South Bronx" and "The Bridge is Over"..
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NWA Versus NWA(Cube versus Eazy versus Dre)
    The Recipe wrote: »
    This ? listed em vs pop acts, nicki vs kim and flip vs ti you might as well throw in ti vs shawty lo. But didnt have beanie vs jada.

88-o_zps04303336.gif
    In all honesty I did not see a benefit to the State Property-Lox Beef so I did not include it on the list because of. BUt ? sell me on how that beef helped the game you may convince???
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 vs Ja

That ? made hip hop aggressive again. Hip hop was real safe after 2pac and Biggie death for too long.
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am a big KRS fan but you are giving him too much credit, if you are going to trace modern rap styles you have to start with Caz, Mel, and Kool Moe Dee.

Then T La Rock dropped It's Yours in 1984, and Rakim who came out in 1986 with Eric B. is president.

I also have to mention Kool G Rap who came with his own style that influenced rappers in later generations.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas n jay...just due to blueprint n stillmatic coming out of that competition
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas Versus Jay Z
    nas vs jay

having two of our biggest stars face off (and it got real personal) after the deaths of our two biggest stars had everyone on edge. the media was ready to go crazy on us and basically ? hip hop off. they proved we were not savages. it was much bigger than a couple of diss records. if it would have turned violent hip hop would truly be dead right now
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    I voted for Nas/Jay but the Busy B vs Kool Moe Dee battle should be up there. That's how it all started.

I'm not voting because, no battle was more important to MCing than Busy and Mo Dee.

• Soloman_The_Wise
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    I voted for Nas/Jay but the Busy B vs Kool Moe Dee battle should be up there. That's how it all started.

I'm not voting because, no battle was more important to MCing than Busy and Mo Dee.
    ? was too lopsided Kool Moe Dee was more like an assassin. I do not even view that as a battle Busy B was verbally executed and did not continue from there in any real capacity that was a point of evolution in Hip Hop not a battle at least to me as battle at least requires the other side to swing back. All the battles I listed had both sides going at it even Eminem had pop stars going for his neck in retaliation...
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Busy Bee was straight mc'ing a party...

Kool Moe Dee was really rapping...
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Would have been more epic if Melle Mel would have stepped up when Moe Dee called him out
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options

? was too lopsided Kool Moe Dee was more like an assassin. I do not even view that as a battle Busy B was verbally executed and did not continue from there in any real capacity that was a point of evolution in Hip Hop not a battle at least to me as battle at least requires the other side to swing back. All the battles I listed had both sides going at it even Eminem had pop stars going for his neck in retaliation...

I was reading an interview with KMD a while back and he said in retrospect he felt like a bully for what happened
    He had the whole crowd laughin at Busy B and kinda felt bad for how it played out but Hip Hop still benifited from it in the long run..
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas Versus Jay Z
    Honorable mention Goobs vs Jeff Axel
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont know what to vote probably eazy dre cube
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Options
    I dont know what to vote probably eazy dre cube
    place that vote up then fam...

• achewon87
    Options
    "If you were money, man, you'd be counterfeit..."

That ? was cold lol...

Cultural impact that benefited hip-hop should go to BDP vs Juice Crew and then the NWA breakup...

BDP layed down that gangsta rap foundation which obviously you still see today...

Juice Crew had the 2 emcees who inspired Nas and Jay which kind of speaks for itself...

Both crews DNA is still felt throughout rap music and those other battles listed all benefited from this one...

NWA breakup is a very close 2nd...
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    edited May 2015
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »

That ? was cold lol...

Cultural impact that benefited hip-hop should go to BDP vs Juice Crew and then the NWA breakup...

BDP layed down that gangsta rap foundation which obviously you still see today...

Juice Crew had the 2 emcees who inspired Nas and Jay which kind of speaks for itself...

Both crews DNA is still felt throughout rap music and those other battles listed all benefited from this one...

In all sincerity I completely agree with you down to 1 caveat which is I feel the NWA wars resulted in more musical talent shining and getting a voice in the game then any other beef while the BDP Juice Crew showed the art of a true Hip Hop Battle and provided the Blueprint for battles to come. Either way those to me are the top 2 most beneficial beefs to the Game...
  • bears2248
    bears2248 Members Posts: 282 ✭✭
    Options
  • achewon87
    edited May 2015
    Options
    achewon87 wrote: »

That ? was cold lol...

In all sincerity I completely agree with you down to 1 caveat which is I feel the NWA wars resulted in more musical talent shining and getting a voice in the game then any other beef while the BDP Juice Crew showed the art of a true Hip Hop Battle and provided the Blueprint for battles to come. Either way those to me are the top 2 most beneficial beefs to the Game...

It literally came down to influence vs talent and tomorrow I could put NWA in front lol, that is how close it is imo...

Beef DVD - Busy Bee vs Kool Moe Doe
    https://youtu.be/wipb37LGe4U

Beef DVD - BDP vs Juice Crew
    https://youtu.be/qVuxpIDrLvA

Beef DVD - NWA Break Up
    https://youtu.be/N99zKe433ZI
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    Big Daddy Kane said Kool Moe Dee ducked him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEWQ1Xq6i4k
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Damn, that KMD vs Busy Bee battle was longer. That ? was sad man.. lol. Here's the full version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShpDIWK5F7Y
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Nas Versus Jay Z
    Jabu_Rule wrote: »
    Damn, that KMD vs Busy Bee battle was longer. That ? was sad man.. lol. Here's the full version.

giphy.gif
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nas Versus Jay Z

Good drop but I wonder if anybody has the flyer from that night. It was Dec 24, 1981.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited May 2015
    Options

Good drop but I wonder if anybody has the flyer from that night. It was Dec 24, 1981.

I was wondering why i didn't see Moe Dee name on the flyer being that he was the host.