Complex Believes Y'all Should Stop Lying About Enjoying TPAB

Options

Comments

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    Tymoney19 wrote: »
    Honestly outside the ic I really don't see anybody caping for tpab. The album was meh and I think most people think it was meh. But the issue is that ppl feel forced to like it because it's so pro black.

Nobody is forcing anybody to like this album.

ive seen several posts in several threads on here sayin "you're a ? if you dont like this album!"
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Honestly outside the ic I really don't see anybody caping for tpab. The album was meh and I think most people think it was meh. But the issue is that ppl feel forced to like it because it's so pro black.

Nobody is forcing anybody to like this album.

ive seen several posts in several threads on here sayin "you're a ? if you dont like this album!"

Its the internet, people gonna get called names and do ? they couldnt get away with in real life. It's a game. Hopefully as we get older we get more mature bout it, and if not we just hopefully log off. I get tired of the pettiness and petty tactics, and misconstrued negative energy myself.

If I don't ? with something 99.5% of the time I completely avoid it. The other 0.5% of the time I might come across someone's logic I don't agree with or ? with, and normally that minor disagreement can escalate into name calling, backhand shots, yadda yadda.

Life is too short for that constant negative energy especially when you're not gonna physically do ? about it.

Agree to disagree but leave that extra name calling ? for people who ain't got ? to do or going for themselves, but that. Name calling has a direct correlation with unsuccessfulness in people, period.

We all do it here though. So I'm not on some holier than thou ? . I do however recognize that, hip-hop and music in general, is our emotional scapegoat from alot of ? we deal with that posters might not know personally about each other, while for others it's simply entertainment, nothing more and nothing less.

• Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man 4 hours to go on the graveyard then its off to the next job. I hate America.
  • EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    EyeofAsaru wrote: »
    It was a good album..but not the untouchable universal classic everybody was ranting about..l

Eye overstood what Kendrick was trying to deliver with TPAB

Public enemy did what he did 10x better...

Why do you conscious, Shea butter ? spell I this way.

You gotta rub shea butter on your forehead and meditate on the mountains of Tibet for 10 hours to find out

Eye'm no more conscious than u.. *passes the blunt full of lotus and cannibus*

Eye just choose to use my imagination more than the average ? ..

Who the ? made the unbreakable rule that you have to type I as I?

Enuff said
  • bamnboy7
    bamnboy7 Members Posts: 160 ✭✭
    Options
    Tpab is nowhere near as good as gkmc

I listened to it one time and didn't make it halfway

Album is garbage
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EyeofAsaru wrote: »
    It was a good album..but not the untouchable universal classic everybody was ranting about..Its sad how group stannery has taken peoples ability to objectively judge a album on their own merit...Its ok to not follow the crowd and think for yourself

Eye overstood what Kendrick was trying to deliver with TPAB but his execution didn't quite connect..He was trying to do what outkast did and be experimental..However,outkast had that special blend of entertainment,edutainment,and sonic bliss to the ears...TPAB's sounds left something to be desired

He gets props for being different but that's where the props stop for me..

Public enemy did what he did 10x better...

This exactly. The album wasnt executed properly. The songs individually are mostly good but the overal project lacked just abit
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.complex.com/music/2015/11/kendrick-lamar-to-? -a-butterfly-overwhelming-blackness?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&sr_share=facebook

"At Slate, the music critic Carl Wilson asked, “How should white listeners approach the ‘overwhelming blackness’ of Kendrick Lamar’s brilliant new album?” and that’s when I realized that To ? a Butterfly had instantly become the biggest paradox of 2015: This bizarre and supposedly “challenging” album was universally acclaimed and unimpeachable indeed."

That's what they worried about. Obviously this album isn't for them. Now I didn't read the article cuz ? Complex but these vultures and crackers need to stop with the blatant hypocrisy. I don't know how these mfers think they got to be one of the gatekeepers in this rap ? but they not.

In one breath they'll bash Kendricks unapologetic blackness but praise someone like Young Thug in the same breath. ? is sickening.

That's what I was saying in another topic. These people hate NY rappers because they live in the same area, it's not exotic enough. If you criticize the local rapper he might see you so all the focus is as far away as possible. These people hate Kendrick because he's not overly aggressive or playing dress up and that get rapped up in the same mentality.

Now Kendrick 2nd album might be overrated, or it might get better with age.
  • thewizeonr
    thewizeonr Members Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    Options
    It's a great album to me..complex used to stand for something smh or at least I liked em cuz they usually shared the same thoughts as me but it took me a while to realize this album ain't for "white people" or to the people who don't listen to anything but the radio..tpab does have some songs I could do with out so that's why its not goat status but I think it speaks perfectly for a young black man in the hood..im out ✌
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's literally the most critically acclaimed hip hop album of all time. It's one of only two albums to go platinum this year. IN the real world Kendrick is damn near Stevie wonder at this point.

post-38536-steve-harvey-wtf-face-gif-Imgu-lJjr.gif

This whole entire post tho
    TPAB isnt platinum either

It's is tho lol
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is exactly why I think they stole it from here. I haven't seen this argument anywhere else.
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's funny, I had a white girl that work with me say the same thing that Complex is saying. She said she loved GKMC but didn't like TPAB. I asked her why even though I knew why and she said without saying it in these words "it was too black and too political". I told her it was needed in the climate that we are in now but she just kept on saying the same thing. Let's just say we only talk about work now.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Lmao @ the album being too black. ? u in hiphop..

Shout out to the hiphop belongs to everyone ass ? .
    5th Letter wrote: »
    I'm surprised they feel that way. This album seems to be something they'd dickride.

Yea. Cacs every where, has been waiting for a "the Darker The Berry" track to come out...
    "Black man taking no losses"... o they love that.

Cacs love Dead Pres and Public Enemy though.
  • Delphas
    Delphas Members Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Complex!

*Closes Complex Music bar in protest*
  • SOWETO
    SOWETO Members Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man, when he hit that trayvon martin line in "blacker the berry," i knew i didn't need anymore commentary from him. mofos can get lost in the black music/history pastiche if they want. this is an interscope album. get ? ' real.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Yea complex have stolen alot of my Photoshop gifs and pics so they most definitely lurk here.

But I guess they gotta visit the forums to get info. Where else would they get it?
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What wasn't executed properly on TPAB?

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    I didnt love TPAB. Not because it was too pro black, but it was a bit too much on the experimental side. Not enough rapping for me.

Your lack of melanin couldn't grasp the essence.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Thing is... TPAB ain't really a pro lack black album, it's more of finding self love.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The more time goes, the more this album becomes more prelevant...

Thing is... TPAB ain't really a pro lack black album, it's more of finding self love.
    I agree
    The album concept is about Self love ...as a blk person (Kendrick). And That's Still being pro black.
    That's why in Kendrick's journey on the album, it dealt with issues that are very prevelant to the blk community.
    Cause, How can a person be pro black with out self love?
    Or better yet...how can a person have self love as a blk person, and not wanna see, blks as a whole do well?

Ppl think being pro blk is wearing a dashiki, and saying ? like "eye" , and having on rbg colors... reading books... all that, don't make a person pro blk. Alot of these ? who do that, are just ghetto comicon characters.

Pro blk is loving yourself, and you'll end up loving others, and it'll show, and have an affect on not only each other, but the community as well.
  • mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Alot of underrated songs on that album

And for the record IT HAS REPLAY VALUE not all the songs but most do (institutionalized, alright, I, hood politics) for sure do
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Dont think the album is that great but it is good..........that is all, not reading that ? .

this
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I still have not gotten into that album. If the production on a album doesn't hit it's not gonna have replay value to me.

Coming from a J Cole stan lol

Anyway, this album is Kendrick's It Was Written. It will be appreciated down the line. It's just not a bunch of crazy standout records like his major debut but it's quality production, rapping, songwriting the whole way through. Very cohesive body of work.
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    See what happens when you lets these whites and these ? messicans have a say in hiphop?

? hipster ? ? the whole game up, matter of fact get this complex ? off the bottom of my screen ? .