Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Options

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    ghost! wrote: »
    I don't think anyone thinks the story is just about Rey. The story is clearly about both Rey and Finn. Rey is just the one that has been confirmed as a Jedi. That goes to my major problem with Finn. Given that he is supposed to be such an important part of the story, wasting screen time with the Jedi ambiguity if he doesn't turn out to be a Jedi is just a poor way to use a character.

I don't see it as that way at all. How his character was in the film made prefect sense to me. There never was anything in the film that indicated he would be a jedi, that's just fans wanting to believe it. He only had the light saber because Rey ran away from it. There was never anything else.

It's not just fans making up ? . It was intentional on the part of the filmmakers. You think it's an accident that the promotion of the film used so many scenes with Finn holding a lightsaber? I'm not saying the movie definitely stated Finn was a Jedi, but there was certainly ambiguity there, and when you couple it with the promotion , it's easy to see why people believe Finn might be a Jedi. Someone already pointed out that Finn has a backstory that where he was shown to be extremely capable and a fast learner. They could have included some of that in the movie to build him up, but they didn't, and I believe that's at least partially because they couldn't pull the fake out if they made it clear that Finn was simply a very capable soldier.

Promotion showed him using the lightsaber, because... That ? used a lightsaber. And yeah I'm sure they left it kinda ambiguous on purpose for plot purposes. I doubt it was just to be like "Syyyyyyyyyke! ? yall he ain't no Jedi." I don't think it was that devious.

lol what? Dude had a light saber for like 1% of his scenes in the movie and 75% of his appearances in promotional material. There was an agenda there. How was the plot served at all by his role being ambiguous? It didn't. All it did was hurt or at the very least postpone his character's development.

He used that lightsaber only slightly less than Kylo Ren used his. There wasn't that much lightsaber action to be had in this movie at all.

Just like the originals :)
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FishNChips wrote: »
    You lads realize trailers are to get people excited and get their bums in the theatre's seats, right? What's more exciting? Shot of Finn with a lightsaber or shot of Finn giving BB8 a thumbs up? Which one would you get you into a movie theatre?

A shot of him with the blaster or a shot of him shooting things down in the ship, which are more indicative of his supposed skillset and future.
    ghost! wrote: »
    I don't think anyone thinks the story is just about Rey. The story is clearly about both Rey and Finn. Rey is just the one that has been confirmed as a Jedi. That goes to my major problem with Finn. Given that he is supposed to be such an important part of the story, wasting screen time with the Jedi ambiguity if he doesn't turn out to be a Jedi is just a poor way to use a character.

I don't see it as that way at all. How his character was in the film made prefect sense to me. There never was anything in the film that indicated he would be a jedi, that's just fans wanting to believe it. He only had the light saber because Rey ran away from it. There was never anything else.

It's not just fans making up ? . It was intentional on the part of the filmmakers. You think it's an accident that the promotion of the film used so many scenes with Finn holding a lightsaber? I'm not saying the movie definitely stated Finn was a Jedi, but there was certainly ambiguity there, and when you couple it with the promotion , it's easy to see why people believe Finn might be a Jedi. Someone already pointed out that Finn has a backstory that where he was shown to be extremely capable and a fast learner. They could have included some of that in the movie to build him up, but they didn't, and I believe that's at least partially because they couldn't pull the fake out if they made it clear that Finn was simply a very capable soldier.

Promotion showed him using the lightsaber, because... That ? used a lightsaber. And yeah I'm sure they left it kinda ambiguous on purpose for plot purposes. I doubt it was just to be like "Syyyyyyyyyke! ? yall he ain't no Jedi." I don't think it was that devious.

lol what? Dude had a light saber for like 1% of his scenes in the movie and 75% of his appearances in promotional material. There was an agenda there. How was the plot served at all by his role being ambiguous? It didn't. All it did was hurt or at the very least postpone his character's development.

He used that lightsaber only slightly less than Kylo Ren used his. There wasn't that much lightsaber action to be had in this movie at all.

And... What does that have to do with the fact that used Finn with a lightsaber pretty heavily in the promotion of the movie. And why didn't they ever show Rey using the lightsaber in the promotion? After all, she's the confirmed Jedi to be. Why do that if they weren't trying to pull a fake out on who the Jedi was?
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    personally i think this han solo project is unnecessary and you can't replace Harrison Ford no matter how hard you try.

They should make a movie about the old sith order and their battle against the jedi

latest?cb=20100219215520
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A retirement home for stormtroopers? lol
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    I wonder how back does rogue one take place before a new hope. Gotta be like a few days before TBH
  • king mocha
    king mocha Members Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Anybody watching star wars rebel? Only asking cuz I'm closing watching the progress of Ezra and what they are doing to his character and how it may be revealing in the star wars movieverse
  • Big Kola
    Big Kola Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I am watching I think it's a good show, the second part of season three looks crazy.
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Star wars rebels is better than the force awakens.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    king mocha wrote: »
    Anybody watching star wars rebel? Only asking cuz I'm closing watching the progress of Ezra and what they are doing to his character and how it may be revealing in the star wars movieverse

I made a thread about it check it out..
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I saw that ? Saturday. I was ? dying lmfao.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SNL skit was funny cause he kept catching tantrums like in the movie, lol.
  • Big Kola
    Options
    It was announced today that Disney would be moving their release date for Star Wars: Episode VIII from May 26, 2017 to December 15, 2017.

I am not mad at that decision, I think it may be more marketable plus they don't have to compete with other Disney properties like Avengers.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big Kola wrote: »
    It was announced today that Disney would be moving their release date for Star Wars: Episode VIII from May 26, 2017 to December 15, 2017.

I am not mad at that decision, I think it may be more marketable plus they don't have to compete with other Disney properties like Avengers.

also they'll have more time to perfect it.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    king mocha wrote: »

I can't get into it because it doesn't seem to match up to clone wars
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I finished Clone Wars and I'm now on episode 5 of Rebels
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some of the Rebels episodes play into TFA, which is why alot of theories are being floated around
  • king mocha
    king mocha Members Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes..I'm a interested in Darth Mauls return..this is gonna get good
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just watched with my son.

So.... Where the ? was Darth Vader?

Which movie do we need to watch to see him?
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

You can't be serious bruh smmfh
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    jee504 wrote: »
    TheGOAT wrote: »

You can't be serious bruh smmfh

No for real.

My son wants to see some Darth Vader action.

Which movie has the most Vader?

I googled it but didnt get anything.
  • Big Kola
    Options
    The original trilogy
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Big Kola wrote: »
    The original trilogy

Arnt they shot outa order?

Is it Empire Strikes Back or Return of Jedi the original movie?
  • Big Kola
    Options
    Star Wars: A New hope, Return of the Jedi, and the Empire strikes back