Official Star Wars Cinematic Universe Thread: Now Showing : Ep VIII - The Last Jedi (15 Dec)

Options

Comments

• Big Kola
    Big Kola Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think 2001 to 2006 was a rough times for movies period.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Episode 3 was dope

Idk why yall was hatin

I didnt find nothing wrong with anyones acting but the kid Anakin in ep 1

91 reasons to hate Revenge of the Sith

Most of it is nitpicking but you'll get the idea lol

But seriously tho I almost had to turn the movie off when Obi said "Anakin the Sith are evil!"

And Anakin dead ass with a straight face responds

"Well from my point of view the Jedi are evil."

Uptown_JW_Bruh.jpg

He said that ? .

To be fair, the Jedi code was seen as callous to some extent and not everyone viewed them as good guys. From Anakin's perspective, the Jedi had the power to save people, Padme in particular, but chose not to do it solely to uphold a code. The line seems corny, but it's actually supposed to clue you in on a truth that the movies don't really go into too much. The Jedi vs Sith isn't as simple as saying Good vs Evil.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Episode 3 was dope

Idk why yall was hatin

I didnt find nothing wrong with anyones acting but the kid Anakin in ep 1

91 reasons to hate Revenge of the Sith

Most of it is nitpicking but you'll get the idea lol

But seriously tho I almost had to turn the movie off when Obi said "Anakin the Sith are evil!"

And Anakin dead ass with a straight face responds

"Well from my point of view the Jedi are evil."

Uptown_JW_Bruh.jpg

He said that ? .

To be fair, the Jedi code was seen as callous to some extent and not everyone viewed them as good guys. From Anakin's perspective, the Jedi had the power to save people, Padme in particular, but chose not to do it solely to uphold a code. The line seems corny, but it's actually supposed to clue you in on a truth that the movies don't really go into too much. The Jedi vs Sith isn't as simple as saying Good vs Evil.

Except the originals spent time painting the wonderfulness of the Jedi and the evil of the Sith and created nostalgia for the days of the Jedi
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yeah Anakin could've said something in reference to saving padme over anything else or something but hey..
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options

Except the originals spent time painting the wonderfulness of the Jedi and the evil of the Sith and created nostalgia for the days of the Jedi

Of course the Jedi were romanticized in the original trilogy. They were all dead. Of course the Sith were demonized. The Sith leader at the time was the ruler of a ruthless empire.

However, when you learn more about the Jedi, you find out that their loyalty to their code made some of them cold and callous in a way that some would consider evil.

In a way, the spirit of it all is captured in Anakin. He was a proud Jedi, but he fell to the Dark Side, not out of greed or ? for power, but out of love for his wife. He did evil as a Sith, but he didn't become a Sith because he was evil.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The should have showed Anikin massacre those kids.

Cutting away was a ? move
  • Big Kola
    Options
    Does anyone when know when a digital copy of The Force AWAKENS is being released, April or May?
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Big Kola wrote: »
    Does anyone when know when a digital copy of The Force AWAKENS is being released, April or May?

April
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yah i cant find a hd copy for ? .. smh still havent seen it
  • Big Kola
    Options
    It will probably be an HD copy that comes out a few days before the digital release.
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the prequels suffered from Lucas not having a cowriter or writing more drafts of the scripts
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    I know people were talking about the Star Wars cartoons. Watching the Clone Wars series will impact how you see the Revenge of the Sith movie. On one hand, Anakin will just seem wrong in the movie because in the cartoon he comes of as reckless, but much more mature and experienced. In the movie, he just seems like a whiny brat. The movie is what gets it wrong though because he is canonically supposed to have been a battle worn hero after the wars. On the flipside though, it adds a lot more impact to Anakin's fall. Again, he was an annoying brat in the movie, so when he fell, it was like "Ok, we saw that coming." However, coming from the cartoons, he seemed like a stronger person and one that could overcome those temptations.

They really did ? up the prequel trilogy. And I don't say that because I think it was bad. I think mediocre is more accurate. The reason I say they ? it up is because it could have been so much better.

He would've been more like his cartoon counterpart if padme didn't get pregnant. That threw him off plus those visionsnhe kept getting about padmes death add to the fact that the emperor kept getting in his head about the Jedi. He was more like the anakin from the cartoon in the first 20 minutes of the movie during the space battle and the fight with count dooku.

Nah, it's different. You miss out on some context in the movies. For example, think about Anakin's betrayal of Mace. It's understandable to some extent that he would do that because he thought Mace was going to ? his only shot at saving Padme. But if you've seen the Clone Wars, you understand it's deeper than that. From Anakin's standpoint, the Council had already betrayed him, and Mace was the harshest of all the council members. In the Clone Wars, you see that Anakin was basically the key to victory. He was part of virtually every major battle and he was pivotal in all the victories. Then when the war is over, the Council refuses to make him a Master and show him the respect he feels he deserves, and their reasons come down to the very same things that made him successful in the war. There is a hypocrisy there. They had no problem embracing Anakin's questionable qualities to win the war, but then when the war is over, they more or less turned their back on him. That's what the Emperor really keyed on to turn him. It didn't play out like that in the movie though. In the movie, you don't really get that impression. You really don't understand why Anakin would even have the expectation that he could be a Master.

Another problem is the movie still portrays Anakin as being under Obi Wan, so he still comes off looking like an inexperienced brat. After the Clone Wars, Anakin should be recognized on the same level as Obi Wan. He operated independently from Obi Wan more often than not and had is own Padawan. They just ? it up plain and simple.

Anakin was supposed to be the hero of the PT who fell in the end. You never really see him as a hero in the movies, so when he falls, it doesn't impact you.

Yeah, they wouldn't have been that successful in the clone wars without Anakin and every time someone needed saving he saved them and brought them victory. He also defeated Count Dooku in which Obi-Wan Kenobi was useless once again, clearly showing he surpassed his master.

Reason he Anakin lost was because he became blind, was highly ? off and angry, and arrogant.

Both explanations are good I also want to add it was sideous who was giving anakinn those night mares and padmedidnt die of heart break it was sideous who drained her life force

Where do you get that from
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Guardians of the galaxy ? all over this movie in the sci-fi genre though.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Disney's Young Han Solo Search Narrows to Final Shortlist of Actors After Screen-Tests

alden_ehrenreich_jack_reynor_taron_egerton_split.jpg

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, Lucasfilm and Disney are getting close to finding their Han Solo.

Chewie, we’re almost home.

The search for the young actor who will fill Han Solo's leather vest could be in its final stages, as multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that a shortlist quietly has emerged.

According to sources, last weekend in London tests were conducted involving actors Alden Ehrenreich, who did scene-stealing work in Hail, Caesar!; Jack Reynor, best known for his work in Transformers: Age of Extinction; and Taron Egerton, the star of The Kingsman and Eddie the Eagle.

Sources say there could be a few other names on the list, though due to the high level of secrecy on all Star Wars projects, it’s hard to ascertain them. Disney declined to comment.

Those who tested — and it’s unclear if these were costume tests or screen tests — were plucked from a previous group of around 10 actors who met with the directors. Among the names whispered to have met are Miles Teller, the Whiplash star who appears in the Divergent movies; and Ansel Elgort, the Fault in Our Stars star who also is in the Divergent movies.

Emory Cohen, who played Saoirse Ronan’s love interest in the Oscar-nominated Brooklyn, also tested. Actors from Richard Linklater’s new movie Everybody Wants Some also had meetings, according to sources.

Disney and Lucasfilm have searched from Alderaan to Yavin to find the new star, with sources saying that more than 2,500 actors have either met with those in charge of casting or put themselves on tape, becoming part of one of the widest casting calls ever.

As THR reported in December, Disney cast a wide net to find the right actor to play a younger version of the character made famous by Harrison Ford in 1977's Star Wars: A New Hope, as well as The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and 2015's The Force Awakens.

The character will debut in a Star Wars spinoff movie being made by Disney, Lucasfilm and filmmakers Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie) and scheduled for 2018.

Ford's swaggering Solo is considered a standout character of the seven-film Star Wars series. The 73-year-old actor’s appearance as Solo in The Force Awakens was a major factor in the movie’s critical and commercial success.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    ? damn

Ford is 73?
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the force awakens isn't coming to the ps store until dec 31 that's that ? . oh well blu ray cop on april 5th it is for me.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    the force awakens isn't coming to the ps store until dec 31 that's that ? . oh well blu ray cop on april 5th it is for me.

I thought it was april 1st?

1st day coppin for my son
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dvdrip came out yesterday
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dvdrip came out yesterday

Came in here to say this
  • FishNChips
    FishNChips Members Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

damn thats 1 helluva wait time. we'll be discussin rogue one by that time
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just watched again via rip. It's crazy how in Episodes 4-7 they don't really be using the jumps and flips when they fighting like in the prequels. Wonder if those styles are myths, like they heard Jedi and Sith could fight like that but since they don't think it's possible they don't do it. Like the prequel Jedi hit super saiyan levels and episodes 4-7 hadn't learned it yet. Hope episode 8 got the fighting styles of the prequels. That ? was dope!
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm watching this again at home and its better to me the 2nd time