Ancestry DNA- Share YOUR results!

Options

Comments

• Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Zombie it's Kwahu not Kawahu...i know it's lost in translation but you been to Ghana so at least get it right.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »
    @Zombie it's Kwahu not Kawahu...i know it's lost in translation but you been to Ghana so at least get it right.

you are right
  • Tymoney19
    Tymoney19 Members Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yall know the FBI adds the dna you send to ancestry.com to their own dna database.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very little mixing in my tribe...
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tymoney19 wrote: »
    Yall know the FBI adds the dna you send to ancestry.com to their own dna database.

The military already has mines.
  • AyeB_
    AyeB_ Members Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Tragedy1 wrote: »
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    MsSouthern wrote: »
    I'm Scottish, Irish , German, and French

Really what's the difference? They're all white and yall don't even look different

I am just contributing

My family traces back to a few Dukes and Duchesses in Europe

We have our own tartan too

No need to pay $99

Well what I'm trying to convey is that those are just nationalities and yall are pretty much the same people and yall don't look different. I don't understand. why white people say they're french German etc

Scottish, Irish, German and French are different ethnic groups with different cultures, just like Yoruba, Mandinka, Hausa, Zulu and Luo are different ethnic groups with very different cultures despite all being black Africans. There is no one single European culture. Outsiders have a harder time seeing the differences between related groups. It's just fun for people to talk about their family heritage.

@ AyeB_ I wonder where the Melanesian came from.

On one hand I think it would make sense for you to acknowledge all of your ancestry, as a predominately African descended woman with some European and Melanesian heritage (I consider Melanesians to be black), technically you are 'mixed', despite being mostly black, but in some ways I can relate. My family is from Zambia and my actual ancestry is 87.5% bantu African and 12.5% English - my DNA doesn't necessarily reflect that (I probably have slightly more or less than 12.5 actual Euro DNA). I would rather just say African, most of the time.

One thing I'm curious about is to what extent English people descend from Germanic invaders vs. indigenous Celtic people of Britain who only adopted the Anglo-Saxon language, culture and identity, is there a mainstream position among historians?

Ok every black person in America has some mixture in their bloodline because of slavery. That doesn't make that specific person mixed though. Like I said if you're 50% or more than 50% of something then it counts. I would qualify that as mixed. I have a high percentage of black & that's all I know. I'm not going to go around & claim that I'm 24% European & I'm mixed, what's the point? I refuse to be one of those black people.
  • 9thSide
    9thSide Members Posts: 731
    Options
    Wait, I just clicked op name to see their profile. Is haspanic but is (wants) to be black?

Self hate
  • Tragedy1
    Tragedy1 Members Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Options
    AyeB_ wrote: »
    Tragedy1 wrote: »
    I'm Scottish, Irish , German, and French

Really what's the difference? They're all white and yall don't even look different

I am just contributing

My family traces back to a few Dukes and Duchesses in Europe

We have our own tartan too

No need to pay $99

Well what I'm trying to convey is that those are just nationalities and yall are pretty much the same people and yall don't look different. I don't understand. why white people say they're french German etc

Scottish, Irish, German and French are different ethnic groups with different cultures, just like Yoruba, Mandinka, Hausa, Zulu and Luo are different ethnic groups with very different cultures despite all being black Africans. There is no one single European culture. Outsiders have a harder time seeing the differences between related groups. It's just fun for people to talk about their family heritage.

@ AyeB_ I wonder where the Melanesian came from.

On one hand I think it would make sense for you to acknowledge all of your ancestry, as a predominately African descended woman with some European and Melanesian heritage (I consider Melanesians to be black), technically you are 'mixed', despite being mostly black, but in some ways I can relate. My family is from Zambia and my actual ancestry is 87.5% bantu African and 12.5% English - my DNA doesn't necessarily reflect that (I probably have slightly more or less than 12.5 actual Euro DNA). I would rather just say African, most of the time.

One thing I'm curious about is to what extent English people descend from Germanic invaders vs. indigenous Celtic people of Britain who only adopted the Anglo-Saxon language, culture and identity, is there a mainstream position among historians?

Ok every black person in America has some mixture in their bloodline because of slavery. That doesn't make that specific person mixed though. Like I said if you're 50% or more than 50% of something then it counts. I would qualify that as mixed. I have a high percentage of black & that's all I know. I'm not going to go around & claim that I'm 24% European & I'm mixed, what's the point? I refuse to be one of those black people.

Maybe I'm being argumentative, and I understand where you're coming from and would never call myself 'mixed' either (for at least a couple reasons I won't get into, my mother never knew her white grandfather either) but logically, if you take 3/4ths of a cup of vinegar and put it in a glass with 1/4th of a cup of lemon juice, what you have is a mixture of vinegar and lemon juice, even though it's mostly vinegar. If someone is allergic to lemon juice and they drink it then they're ? . I'm being stupid.

What I don't understand (I've heard this from a couple people) are those people who say that they don't consider themselves to be 'African' American because they're of mixed heritage, even though they're predominately of African descent, yet they consider themselves to be black despite the fact that they have some non-black ancestry. I can understand not really identifying with the term African American for other reasons but that never made sense to me. Another thing is when people say 'so and so isn't black, they're mixed'. 'Mixed' isn't a distinct category. You wouldn't say Obama isn't black, he's mixed. You'd say he's both black and white which is what makes him mixed.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tymoney19 wrote: »

see this is what i'm talking about. they could take that dna and frame you with it.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All that yall talking about is very nice and would love to have it done BUT

I'm NEVER and I really mean NEVER going to voluntarily submit my DNA or fingerprints to anybody.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Y'all paranoid negroids on here like y'all movin big bricks, fbi ain't trippin off you downloading " the life of Pablo "

I do think that DNA testing is in its early stages as far as connecting you to a certain part of the world for me to jump out the window for 100$

I'm on the fence but super curious, my father already had his done so I'm leaning towards getting mine done
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't care about this ? at all. Its not even an interest of mine.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Y'all paranoid negroids on here like y'all movin big bricks, fbi ain't trippin off you downloading " the life of Pablo "

I do think that DNA testing is in its early stages as far as connecting you to a certain part of the world for me to jump out the window for 100$

I'm on the fence but super curious, my father already had his done so I'm leaning towards getting mine done

It was some paranoid negroes when white people first landed on a coast in Africa to but oh well I guess they were wrong to be paranoid

I ain't paranoid just not willing to mail off something that personal to a person I can't even see face to face. Also they don't need to keep that info as a company or put it into some database.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

It was some paranoid negroes when white people first landed on a coast in Africa to but oh well I guess they were wrong to be paranoid

I ain't paranoid just not willing to mail off something that personal to a person I can't even see face to face. Also they don't need to keep that info as a company or put it into some database.

who was paranoid when the cacs landed?

• MistyKnight
    MistyKnight Members Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    I don't care about this ? at all. Its not even an interest of mine.

Where's the self esteem man?

You're practically saying that you don't care about you.

I am VERY interested in finding my roots. I want to know where in africa my ancestors lived and hopefully can connect to some long lost relatives.
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    I told my mom about this and she said she's excited about it and will think about getting tested as well.

And if we both match to the same country in africa then she says we'll go visit our motherland.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's pretty much the same result I got. Makes me wonder how accurate all of these similar results are. Hmmmmmm
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Khaleesi wrote: »
    I told my mom about this and she said she's excited about it and will think about getting tested as well.

And if we both match to the same country in africa then she says we'll go visit our motherland.

Um.......wouldn't y'all have the same mother land ?
  • AyeB_
    AyeB_ Members Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »

That's pretty much the same result I got. Makes me wonder how accurate all of these similar results are. Hmmmmmm

Well we are all black so I'd be worried if you got something different lol.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Jabu_Rule wrote: »
    So, the popo been getting their hands on these DNA databases.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/10/19/3713666/police-tap-ancestry-for-dna/
    I said don't do it for a reason. Government gets these also.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can think of 100 other things I would spend 99 dollars on

and a ? ain't one
  • MistyKnight
    Options
    Sent in my DNA sample today.

I'm hoping to get the results by my birthday!!! <3

So damn nervous dawg.
  • traestar