damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    Ita a fair assessment. If someone tells you or acts like there is only one way to behave and act to be worthy of respect then you would be offended too.

The problem is here is she isn't doing the judging. She is being pointed out as a standard and folks reject that standard. Ain't ? wrong with that. Yall complain if you think a ? should only dress and behave a certain way to be worthy of respect.

Yep

It’s intertwined with the politics of respectability

Her persona is being used as another opportunity for the basement dwellers to attack any woman who isn’t buttoned up, any woman who has an overtly sexy image, and any woman who doesn’t meet the measurement for “wifeability" or better yet respect gets the “we need more women like Ayesha”

Which is obviously problematic

And it is dangerous for the women who are being attacked for not “living up” to an ideal I'm sure they never declared any allegiance to in the first place

Now she is catching some of the blow back

Her initial tweets that started this whole thing about being covered up were a lil problematic as well, so she isn't exactly innocent. In a roundabout way she insinuated that women who dress a certain way are doing it for the wrong reasons, as if women don't have other reasons besides the male gaze to prefer a certain style of clothing

It's unfortunate, but she'll survive

That's not her fault though. She didn't say that, other people put that image of being the standard onto her. People coming at her personally for some ? she didn't do, say, or ask for. That's why people say those who got negative things to say are projecting their own insecurities onto a person who don't got ? to do with how they feel. If somebody simply living their life can make you not like them, you're the problem.

Her initial tweets weren't even that bad, people just made more of them than what they were on some hit dog will holler ? . People want her to be the stereotype of an athlete's wife so bad and the fact that she's not ? some people off.

Yes, she doesn't deserve a lot of the personal attacks

But if we are being honest, while her comments were not atypical of many Christian women, they were really unnecessary

They were also self congratulating and judgemental

The type that usually invoke a strong reaction, one way or another

in the words of Rev. Run... "dress like you want to be addressed"

All due respect to Rev. Run...that's some misguided ass advice. I've been pulled over and ? with by the police in a t-shirt and jeans just chillin and in a shirt and tie just leaving work. That ? don't always matter

are you a black male.... or a female complaining about getting "bad attention" while wearing a short skirt and your ? out..

I'm a full proponent of knowing that if you dress a certain way you should expect certain reactions...that still don't make those reactions any less ? up or justified though. It just means that's the reality of the world we live in. Where Rev Run's quote misses the point is that you can dress like you want to be addressed and still get treated as less than what you really are. At the end of the day that ? don't matter because a person who is going to treat you or address you as less than what you are, whether that be a black man dealing with the police or a woman dealing with thirsty ass dudes, already made up their mind how they view you and how you dress ain't gonna do a damn thing to change that.

where he makes his point is the likelihood of a woman being treated with respect is higher if she is not dressing like a thot...

because usually women who dress like thots are looking for a person they like to give them that attention...

you are right in the fact that some men are just ? ... The conservative woman might get harassed every blue moon... The thot will have the higher chance of getting that more..

The fact that she gets harassed at all, and every blue moon is understating like a ? if you've actually ever had a serious discussion with a group of women about this topic, makes your point and Rev Run's null and void. You're admitting that dressing how you want to be addressed isnt' a cure all for receiving negative attention, yet are still saying it's a way to avoid negative attention. You can't have it both ways. Even using my example with the police earlier I've been pulled over and harassed more by them dressed up for work or something else than I have been dressed like I ain't doing ? . There's only one way to fix that...and it ain't on the person who is on the receiving end of said negative attention majority of the time

bruh lol as a man i cant control how a woman dress.. all i can do is inform them on my thought process on how she dress..... If you put Michelle Obama next to Kim Kardashian... Kim Kardashian is going to get more cat calls than Michelle..

Your point is invalid because you acting like there is a 100 percent way to avoid getting harrased.. We all know that there is no way for that to happen... Females can REDUCE harassment by dressing less provocative...

Nah b that's a bad comparison because michelle got like 20 years on Kim Kardashian. If you put Ayesha Curry next to Kim Kardashian they both getting hounded

Okay compare them two..

Which one would you wife.. which one would you just want to smash...
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    Question: Is there such a thing as a feminist that's attractive, heterosexual, physically fit and in a stable and happy relationship? Every time I see one, they on some mud duck, fat ass, single/? , unhappy ? .

Lol

I know when I think of intelligent, strong, blk feminist I think of: assata shakur, angela davis, bell hooks, etc

It's an insult to compare them to the crazies that dominate today's feminist movement.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ita a fair assessment. If someone tells you or acts like there is only one way to behave and act to be worthy of respect then you would be offended too.

The problem is here is she isn't doing the judging. She is being pointed out as a standard and folks reject that standard. Ain't ? wrong with that. Yall complain if you think a ? should only dress and behave a certain way to be worthy of respect.

Yep

Her persona is being used as another opportunity for the basement dwellers to attack any woman who isn’t buttoned up, any woman who has an overtly sexy image, and any woman who doesn’t meet the measurement for “wifeability" or better yet respect gets the “we need more women like Ayesha”

And it is dangerous for the women who are being attacked for not “living up” to an ideal I'm sure they never declared any allegiance to in the first place

Her initial tweets that started this whole thing about being covered up were a lil problematic as well, so she isn't exactly innocent. In a roundabout way she insinuated that women who dress a certain way are doing it for the wrong reasons, as if women don't have other reasons besides the male gaze to prefer a certain style of clothing

That's not her fault though. She didn't say that, other people put that image of being the standard onto her. People coming at her personally for some ? she didn't do, say, or ask for. That's why people say those who got negative things to say are projecting their own insecurities onto a person who don't got ? to do with how they feel. If somebody simply living their life can make you not like them, you're the problem.

Her initial tweets weren't even that bad, people just made more of them than what they were on some hit dog will holler ? . People want her to be the stereotype of an athlete's wife so bad and the fact that she's not ? some people off.

But if we are being honest, while her comments were not atypical of many Christian women, they were really unnecessary

All due respect to Rev. Run...that's some misguided ass advice. I've been pulled over and ? with by the police in a t-shirt and jeans just chillin and in a shirt and tie just leaving work. That ? don't always matter

are you a black male.... or a female complaining about getting "bad attention" while wearing a short skirt and your ? out..

I'm a full proponent of knowing that if you dress a certain way you should expect certain reactions...that still don't make those reactions any less ? up or justified though. It just means that's the reality of the world we live in. Where Rev Run's quote misses the point is that you can dress like you want to be addressed and still get treated as less than what you really are. At the end of the day that ? don't matter because a person who is going to treat you or address you as less than what you are, whether that be a black man dealing with the police or a woman dealing with thirsty ass dudes, already made up their mind how they view you and how you dress ain't gonna do a damn thing to change that.

where he makes his point is the likelihood of a woman being treated with respect is higher if she is not dressing like a thot...

because usually women who dress like thots are looking for a person they like to give them that attention...

you are right in the fact that some men are just ? ... The conservative woman might get harassed every blue moon... The thot will have the higher chance of getting that more..

The fact that she gets harassed at all, and every blue moon is understating like a ? if you've actually ever had a serious discussion with a group of women about this topic, makes your point and Rev Run's null and void. You're admitting that dressing how you want to be addressed isnt' a cure all for receiving negative attention, yet are still saying it's a way to avoid negative attention. You can't have it both ways. Even using my example with the police earlier I've been pulled over and harassed more by them dressed up for work or something else than I have been dressed like I ain't doing ? . There's only one way to fix that...and it ain't on the person who is on the receiving end of said negative attention majority of the time

bruh lol as a man i cant control how a woman dress.. all i can do is inform them on my thought process on how she dress..... If you put Michelle Obama next to Kim Kardashian... Kim Kardashian is going to get more cat calls than Michelle..

Your point is invalid because you acting like there is a 100 percent way to avoid getting harrased.. We all know that there is no way for that to happen... Females can REDUCE harassment by dressing less provocative...

Nah b that's a bad comparison because michelle got like 20 years on Kim Kardashian. If you put Ayesha Curry next to Kim Kardashian they both getting hounded

Okay compare them two..

you know the answer to that but you was saying it as if a female like ayesha curry ain't gonna get cat-called just because she don't dress provocative as kim kardashian. Some ? gonna even come at her the exact same way for the simple fact that some ? ain't ? so they only know how to come at a woman in an ain't ? way.
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread panned out the same way the majority of threads do.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Yep

But you can control how you as a man reacts. I never said there was a way for woman to not get harassed, I'm saying the exact opposite that no matter how conservative a woman dresses there's gonna be men that view her as less than regardless. You trying to say a woman dressing a certain way will negate negative attention is false because we all know it doesn't. I already said I know that dressing a certain way will invite certain responses, but you seem to be missing the point that the people who are giving those responses are the ones who need to change their attitudes hence why I said whether you talking about a woman dressing a certain way or a black man dealing with the police if they gonna view you as less than how you dress ain't gonna change ? about that. It's on the person doing the harassing to change more than it is the person being harassed.
  • damobb2deep
    edited April 2016
    Options

Yep

Okay compare them two..

you know the answer to that but you was saying it as if a female like ayesha curry ain't gonna get cat-called just because she don't dress provocative as kim kardashian. Some ? gonna even come at her the exact same way for the simple fact that some ? ain't ? so they only know how to come at a woman in an ain't ? way.

odds are a man who truly wants to come at Mrs. Curry aint gone hit her with a " damn girl yo ass fat" line... Kim Kardashian on the other hand...

and for the dudes who would hit up Mrs. Curry up like she a thot are not going to get any play.. so they honestly dont even count..
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    What you fail to understand is that it is sexist in itself to uphold Ayesha as this standard of respectability as a means to shame others
    This isnt what happened though.

The threads is called ayesha vs thots

Its seems the females took her being conservative as an affront to them and started attacking her.
    Most ? and some women are defending her.
    I mean thats what i got from this

If the thread op said here is ayeshas stance on womanhood all u other hoes aint ? , bow down
    itd be one thing. This woman is just being herself and everything else is a reaction or over reaction on what others think about it.

I was referring to how Ayesha's name and the memes is now being brought up whenever a blk woman does something deemed “unfavorable” or "thot like" by the hoteps and basement dwellers on social media

That is what is fueling the whole situation to a large degree

As I said before the personal attacks on Ayesha are uncalled for. ? imma watch her show. She did make some questionable comments but I don't think they were malicious
  • desertrain10
    Options

i hope you trolling... Ben Carson... Don Lemon.. Steven A. Smith are all successful in spite of them being the "safe ? " not because of it.. there are plenty of people who have the same platforms they do and dont act the way they do..

and we are not "shaming" thots... most men could care less if we have thots or not.. we as men are telling you the difference in being "that girl" and "wifey"... If you want to dress like "that girl" then by all means most men will treat you as such... If you want to be more than that then the men in this thread are telling you what to do... now if you agree or not is on you... but you cant get mad if the source of what you think is the problem is telling you how to fix said problem..

And what you're missing is that there's also plenty of people who will treat 'wifey" like "that girl" regardless if she's wearing a choir robe or walking around in leggins w/ no drawls on and a tank top w/o a bra. Now be somewhat intelligent and figure out the obvious fix to that problem...

that problem is that particular guy... and that particular girl.. every situation is different... but to negate that women who dress more provocative are more likely to get treated with less respect is dumb on their part... they know that.. we do as well..

Nobody is negating that, I'm just saying that telling women to dress more conservatively as a cure all to avoid negative attention is stupid because it doesn't work nearly as often as you're deluding yourself into and if you actually ask a woman that ? you'd know. How many dudes said a woman walking around in sweats and a t-shirt looks bad as ? and makes them wanna holler at them. That's about as conservative/non revealing as it gets and they'll still get thirsty dudes coming at them. No matter what situation you apply it to or insert in place of women, dressing a certain way doesn't guarantee ? in how other people treat or perceive you. They're gonna perceive you a certain way regardless of how you dress.

bruh its not about guaranteeing ? ... its about REDUCING or making it more likely...

You don't see how it's problematic to place the burden on the marginalized person to adjust their appearance or behavior to earn respect from the majority????
  • damobb2deep
    Options

Yep

But you can control how you as a man reacts. I never said there was a way for woman to not get harassed, I'm saying the exact opposite that no matter how conservative a woman dresses there's gonna be men that view her as less than regardless. You trying to say a woman dressing a certain way will negate negative attention is false because we all know it doesn't. I already said I know that dressing a certain way will invite certain responses, but you seem to be missing the point that the people who are giving those responses are the ones who need to change their attitudes hence why I said whether you talking about a woman dressing a certain way or a black man dealing with the police if they gonna view you as less than how you dress ain't gonna change ? about that. It's on the person doing the harassing to change more than it is the person being harassed.

if dressing conservative does not reduce being harrased then why are men and conservative women saying that... im sure those conservative dressing women would let it be known that "i get harrased no matter what I wear"
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »

Yep

?

Same attitude that encourages racial profiling

smh... that is not the same... women dressing like thots are doing so for attention... you have even admitted that... ? dont wear "hoodies" and J's to attract white people like women wear short skirts to attract men or show off their "bodies"

also a white kid could wear the exact same thing a black kid wear and still seem less harmful...(they still can get profiled but to a lesser extent )

a chick hiking up her thong so its seen is going to get the same attention no matter what color she is...

I never said the sole reason as to why women "dress like thots" was to attract attention

She may just want to be stylish /fashionable ... Leggings, for ex, in some circles are fashionable right now

Same as hoodies and Jordan's are fashionable right now

My nephew, for instance, continues to rock dreads and wear hoodies though he knows it may attract the wrong attention. But it's his right to do so. I support him.

Same as my 19 yr old niece likes to wear leggings though it may attract the wrong attention. Its her right to do so.

The negative reactions their style choices provoke result in very different outcomes, however it's irrelevant to the point I was making

The way women are profiled for what they wear is akin to how we as blks are profiled for what we wear in how it's all interwoven with the politics of respectability and used as a way to govern over our bodies

This notion that women who do not fall into the very specific box that has been built for us should then be shamed and ostracized is rooted patriarchy...or better yet misogyny

A person with misogynist views is going to be sexist or/and disrespectful of women
    regardless of what they are wearing... same as a cac is gonna cac, and a ? is gonna ?

This is true especially considering we as a society don't police men in the same fashion, and what ppl consider to be revealing on a woman is subjective from location to location, person to person

As I was saying before female nudity is not this taboo or shameful thing to everyone

The ? ?

Ya nephew would attract the same attention with, or without the dreads, and hoody .

Do white guys in hoodies get the same negative attention?
    According to some posters here, Indians started dreads, do they warrant the same attention with their "dreads"?

The attention women get for dressing is not the same, as blk men. Cause blk men were getting negative attention before they was wearing hoodies or dreads.

With that said, a woman can change the attention she gets by how she dress. Your nephew can't.

Sigh

So we are going to act like there isn't a such thing as the "safe ? "???? And that we don't have a sizable percentage of the country who believe adjusting the way we, e.g. blk ppl, dress and behave will save us from being unfairly targeted???

Really???

My point being is that it's all mired in the politics of respectability

Same as blks are told to adjust to earn respect from the majority, women are pressured to do the same

Its easier to put the burden on the marginalized person to earn respect from the majority, rather then ask the majority to change. But it's ?

Because at the end of the day, same as with racism, regardless of what I will still be subject to discrimination solely based on my gender by the same folk

Same as while my nephew may avoid the suspensions of some if he were to cut his dreads and ditch the hoodies, as a blk man he is still going to be subjected to other ppl prejudices and racial discrimination

The ppl who use Ayesha to shame others don't even respect women's humanity and right to freely express their individuality, otherwise they wouldn't even be engaging in said behavior

When ? was wearing button up shirts, slacks or zoot suits. ? were still attracting negative attention.

It's about the skin, and even then as a blk man, I'll dress how i wanna dress. How ppl respond to how i dress, is their buisness.

The same way, women can dress how they choose, yet ppl have the right to respond how they wanna.
    So when Ayesha gets her respect. Let her shine.
  • damobb2deep
    Options

i hope you trolling... Ben Carson... Don Lemon.. Steven A. Smith are all successful in spite of them being the "safe ? " not because of it.. there are plenty of people who have the same platforms they do and dont act the way they do..

and we are not "shaming" thots... most men could care less if we have thots or not.. we as men are telling you the difference in being "that girl" and "wifey"... If you want to dress like "that girl" then by all means most men will treat you as such... If you want to be more than that then the men in this thread are telling you what to do... now if you agree or not is on you... but you cant get mad if the source of what you think is the problem is telling you how to fix said problem..

And what you're missing is that there's also plenty of people who will treat 'wifey" like "that girl" regardless if she's wearing a choir robe or walking around in leggins w/ no drawls on and a tank top w/o a bra. Now be somewhat intelligent and figure out the obvious fix to that problem...

that problem is that particular guy... and that particular girl.. every situation is different... but to negate that women who dress more provocative are more likely to get treated with less respect is dumb on their part... they know that.. we do as well..

Nobody is negating that, I'm just saying that telling women to dress more conservatively as a cure all to avoid negative attention is stupid because it doesn't work nearly as often as you're deluding yourself into and if you actually ask a woman that ? you'd know. How many dudes said a woman walking around in sweats and a t-shirt looks bad as ? and makes them wanna holler at them. That's about as conservative/non revealing as it gets and they'll still get thirsty dudes coming at them. No matter what situation you apply it to or insert in place of women, dressing a certain way doesn't guarantee ? in how other people treat or perceive you. They're gonna perceive you a certain way regardless of how you dress.

bruh its not about guaranteeing ? ... its about REDUCING or making it more likely...

You don't see how it's problematic to place the burden on the marginalized person to adjust their appearance or behavior to earn respect from the majority????

thats some playing victim ? ... you know as well as i do as a woman you are going to have guys try and talk to you.. you will get ? from time to time no matter what... BUT you increase that by dressing a certain way.... that is a fact.. so dont play victim when your ass is hanging out... and a man comes at you disrespectful...

if the majority is telling you "this is what we respect" you dont have to agree but it dont get mad if you dont get the results you want..
  • desertrain10
    Options

Yep

if dressing conservative does not reduce being harrased then why are men and conservative women saying that... im sure those conservative dressing women would let it be known that "i get harrased no matter what I wear"

Come on bruh

Because we are conditioned to view women as being property, something to govern over

And taught to believe most men are potential rapists that lack self control around women

But it doesn't matter what a woman wear, trust

I can dress conservatively, but I am still not meant to lead, am I to be submissive, etc...there's a problem if I'm too opinionated, too load

Its all rooted in patriarchy, sexism

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    What you fail to understand is that it is sexist in itself to uphold Ayesha as this standard of respectability as a means to shame others
    This isnt what happened though.

The threads is called ayesha vs thots

Its seems the females took her being conservative as an affront to them and started attacking her.
    Most ? and some women are defending her.
    I mean thats what i got from this

If the thread op said here is ayeshas stance on womanhood all u other hoes aint ? , bow down
    itd be one thing. This woman is just being herself and everything else is a reaction or over reaction on what others think about it.

I was referring to how Ayesha's name and the memes is now being brought up whenever a blk woman does something deemed “unfavorable” or "thot like" by the hoteps and basement dwellers on social media

That is what is fueling the whole situation to a large degree

As I said before the personal attacks on Ayesha are uncalled for. ? imma watch her show. She did make some questionable comments but I don't think they were malicious

What was said again?
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yep

Come on bruh

Because we are conditioned to view women as being property, something to govern over

And taught to believe most men are potential rapists that lack self control around women

I can dress conservatively, but I am still not meant to lead, am I to be submissive, etc...there's a problem if I'm too opinionated, too load

Seriously... What tha ? !?
  • damobb2deep
    Options

Yep

Come on bruh

not all men want a submissive woman.. some men want a woman that is able to be "beside him" not behind..

also like you just said we are taught to view women as "property" so as a woman if you dont believe in that why show off your "property" for men to see and feel inclined to treat you like "property"...

by all means I am all for women and yall have freedom to do what yall want... but im also down for women to take responsibility for their actions... which alot of females are scared to do.. they would rather reflect the issue somewhere else than take responsibility for their own actions..
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One always have to lead.

So just stop. You know nothing about (healthy) relationships.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We can only hope that more and more women wake up to the dangers of feminism
  • damobb2deep
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    One always have to lead.

So just stop. You know nothing about (healthy) relationships.

not true... imo that is bread in misogyny... most men who want a woman to just be submissive and follow are men who are scared of opinionated women...
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Yep

They do, but as you just said in a post "those dudes don't count" so you're purposely dismissing them to try and make your point.
  • desertrain10
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    Like Water wrote: »
    Question: Is there such a thing as a feminist that's attractive, heterosexual, physically fit and in a stable and happy relationship? Every time I see one, they on some mud duck, fat ass, single/? , unhappy ? .

Lol

I know when I think of intelligent, strong, blk feminist I think of: assata shakur, angela davis, bell hooks, etc

It's an insult to compare them to the crazies that dominate today's feminist movement.

Shud up ol man

They were once labeled as outsiders or in some cases crazy when they were pointing out the sexism in the civil rights movement and in the blk panther party

• LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Males and females are 51% and 49% respectively. Not an overwhelming majority especially given the fact males die at higher rates than females.

I guess when all else fails @desertrain10 you can always appeal to perpetual victimhood
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

Russell Wilson also apparently put a ban on all of Future's music in the Seahawk's stadium/locker room

Sad and hilarious if true.
  • desertrain10
    Options

Yep

Come on bruh

Seriously... What tha ? !?

That's what is implied when we emphasize to young ladies not to wear revealing clothing around men or risk being sexually harassed

Or how when a woman is sexually assaulted, we as a society sympathize less when she was behaving in matter generally not considered "lady like"
  • damobb2deep
    Options

Yep

They do, but as you just said in a post "those dudes don't count" so you're purposely dismissing them to try and make your point.

the reason i said they dont count is because they are ignorant anyway.. so why even count a person already 1 out of probably 20 guys that will try and talk to said person..