Comments

• dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    she was naked in the anime

tumblr_inline_mkgfstnOES1r18uik.png

If you’ve watched Under The Skin then you've already seen it all.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They could've got old ass Michelle Yeoh or Ming Na
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will be boycotting this ? travesty and if any of you are true fans of this franchise i suggest you do the same
    that way Hollywood will get the message and not whitewash akira.
  • CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

who are they? its actually not an easy role and needs a pretty decent actress
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »
    They couldn't just get the asian chick from pacific rim to do this part?

If thats the best y'all can do... lol y'all don't even know her name. Look I dont support whitewashing but im not sure if there was/is a bankable Asian chick to put in this film. Ijs. They could have found bankable black or middle Eastern actors for exodus and gods of Egypt but name a Asian chick that can take on a box office feature and put ? in seats. I'll wait. And I swear fo ? if one of you ? say Lucy liu.

These days, I lean towards thinking Franchise>>>Actor when it comes to selling movies so they could've grabbed Doona Bae or Li Bingbing and sold it hard and probably made bank. Go after that China market like the last Terminator. Doubt it wouldve got the greenlight without SJ but she's not exactly a drew so it wouldve been nice to see a asian actress. That said, show did have bodyswaps and mind jacking so they could explain it away pretty easily. Just looks bad.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Two women in their 50's. Word. Smmfh.

If thats the best y'all can do... lol y'all don't even know her name. Look I dont support whitewashing but im not sure if there was/is a bankable Asian chick to put in this film. Ijs. They could have found bankable black or middle Eastern actors for exodus and gods of Egypt but name a Asian chick that can take on a box office feature and put ? in seats. I'll wait. And I swear fo ? if one of you ? say Lucy liu.

These days, I lean towards thinking Franchise>>>Actor when it comes to selling movies so they could've grabbed Doona Bae or Li Bingbing and sold it hard and probably made bank. Go after that China market like the last Terminator. Doubt it wouldve got the greenlight without SJ but she's not exactly a drew so it wouldve been nice to see a asian actress. That said, show did have bodyswaps and mind jacking so they could explain it away pretty easily. Just looks bad.

I'll give you doona bae ? . She was breaking ? off in sense 8, would definitely smash the role. She couldn't appeal to the box office tho, only fans of ghost in the shell. Not enough promo in the world tho.
    And Scar Jo is def a draw. Foh with that. I sat thru a movie about a ? jerking off (don jon) for Scar Jo.

http://www.the-numbers.com/person/72460401-Scarlett-Johansson
  • dogfromduckhunt
    dogfromduckhunt Members Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'll give you doona bae ? . She was breaking ? off in sense 8, would definitely smash the role. She couldn't appeal to the box office tho, only fans of ghost in the shell. Not enough promo in the world tho.
    And Scar Jo is def a draw. Foh with that. I sat thru a movie about a ? jerking off (don jon) for Scar Jo.

That kinda helps my point though. She has Lucy outside of Marvel movies and I'm doubting she's the reason those movies do so well. May as well have gone with a asian actress coming off a big movie like Peng Lin. Just really push it in China/Korea/Japan and hope for the best with the US.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No actor is famous worldwide without a shot first and their foot in the door.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That kinda helps my point though. She has Lucy outside of Marvel movies and I'm doubting she's the reason those movies do so well. May as well have gone with a asian actress coming off a big movie like Peng Lin. Just really push it in China/Korea/Japan and hope for the best with the US.

You couldn't walk into any studio with that argument.
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The idea that a nonwhite can't sell a movie is ? . Good trailers and reactions from reviewers and early watchers attract viewers. The movie could have been successful with an Asian lead if it was actually good.

Like say a "crouching tiger hidden dragon?"
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I don't know why I came into this thread thinking it was Space Ghost Coast to Coast movie.

Now I'm disappointed.

Anime is ?
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options

Doona Bae and Li Bingbing are good shouts. Apart from the obvious choices like Rinko Kikuchi, Zhang Ziyi, Shu Qi, there are a shitload of Asian actors out there that they could have cast. Add the likes of Gemma Chan, Jamie Chung, etc if the studio insisted on an American or British actor so badly.
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall gotta stop expecting ? from Hollywood man, its American.... asian countries from Indo to Korea got superb movie industries...if warner bros gave Batman to SBS in Seoul best believe you would have a Korean Batman n Joker lol.
  • BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ron Pearlman woulda made a good Batou...
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    I will be boycotting this ? travesty and if any of you are true fans of this franchise i suggest you do the same

did you boycott the thor movie when they casted idris elba to play someone that was white in the comics?

not aiming this at you but we can be so hypocritical sometimes, it actually makes me laugh, in one thread we will cuss the ? outta white people when they get up in arms about a black man playing a made up ? out a marvel comic, but then complain when a white women plays a made up asian woman from a anime.

me? i dont give a ? , if the movie is good its good, ? changes all the time, get over it
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bdbdbd wrote: »

did you boycott the thor movie when they casted idris elba to play someone that was white in the comics?

not aiming this at you but we can be so hypocritical sometimes, it actually makes me laugh, in one thread we will cuss the ? outta white people when they get up in arms about a black man playing a made up ? out a marvel comic, but then complain when a white women plays a made up asian woman from a anime.

me? i dont give a ? , if the movie is good its good, ? changes all the time, get over it

Wow, my dude, you really going to play that weak argument. Here's a few reasons why it's a bad one.

1) Whites aren't underrepresented in Hollywood. Changing Heimdall's race was no big deal for them since the entire rest of the cast except one dude consisted of white people.
    2) Asians in particular are underrepresented and underused in Hollywood. This was a good chance to give an Asian actress a shot, and they chose the easy and exclusionary way out.
    3) Heimdall was a small side character. Matoko is the main character, so changing anything about her is a more significant.
    4) Matoko being Japanese is pretty important to her character and the story in general. So, not only does this change mean she will be different, it also means they are going to be changing the story just to accommodate white leading haracters.
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Wow, my dude, you really going to play that weak argument. Here's a few reasons why it's a bad one.

1) Whites aren't underrepresented in Hollywood. Changing Heimdall's race was no big deal for them since the entire rest of the cast except one dude consisted of white people.
    2) Asians in particular are underrepresented and underused in Hollywood. This was a good chance to give an Asian actress a shot, and they chose the easy and exclusionary way out.
    3) Heimdall was a small side character. Matoko is the main character, so changing anything about her is a more significant.
    4) Matoko being Japanese is pretty important to her character and the story in general. So, not only does this change mean she will be different, it also means they are going to be changing the story just to accommodate white leading haracters.

honestly bro i dont really care enough to consider what i put forth as an "argument" was merely an observation. But ill respond:

Ive never seen ghost in a shell, so i dont know how casting a white character will effect the story and do i agree with casting a white person to play (what would seem like) an iconic role that only an asian person "should play? no not at all, that wasnt my point. My point was there should be some level of consistency when putting forth the argument of "to change or not to change races".

Who cares who is underrepresented and who isn't , that should never come into play when casting a character, now had your argument consisted of only points 3) and 4) i would have been inclined to agree with you, but it didnt hence the reply. We as mere fans never know how many auditions the casting director had seen, maybe idris, scarlett, ben kingsley and any other actor that plays a role of a different race were the best people for the role (again my conversation only pertains to point 1 & 2).

and once again i do not particularly agree with this type of "miscasting" i was just questioning certain peoples motives when putting forth these arguments
  • zzombie
    Options

If they made Thor black yes I would have passed on the Thor movies because it would be a violation of the character .if they make a black vikings movie I'll also pass

I'm not going to just excuse white people and their fuckery because I want it to actually stop demanding anything less would make me a ?
  • zzombie
    Options

honestly bro i dont really care enough to consider what i put forth as an "argument" was merely an observation. But ill respond:

Ive never seen ghost in a shell, so i dont know how casting a white character will effect the story and do i agree with casting a white person to play (what would seem like) an iconic role that only an asian person "should play? no not at all, that wasnt my point. My point was there should be some level of consistency when putting forth the argument of "to change or not to change races".

Who cares who is underrepresented and who isn't , that should never come into play when casting a character, now had your argument consisted of only points 3) and 4) i would have been inclined to agree with you, but it didnt hence the reply. We as mere fans never know how many auditions the casting director had seen, maybe idris, scarlett, ben kingsley and any other actor that plays a role of a different race were the best people for the role (again my conversation only pertains to point 1 & 2).

and once again i do not particularly agree with this type of "miscasting" i was just questioning certain peoples motives when putting forth these arguments

You can't be the best person for a role if your very presence violates the essence of the role
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know if she a good actress, but if Jamie Chung lil sexy ass was in it I'd give up $10
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol changin' one bruddah to a black guy is not the same as whitewashin' a whole movie cuh. ? been goin' on since movies started the ? isn't even comparable in terms of social impact.

• Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol changin' one bruddah to a black guy is not the same as whitewashin' a whole movie cuh. ? been goin' on since movies started the ? isn't even comparable in terms of social impact.

Dudes a cac troll