How would you give back and help your community if you were a millionaire?

Options

Comments

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a.mann wrote: »
    It's a noble and righteous gesture.
    But alas,after your first 1-3 million is vaporized

Only then will you learn that the plight of the black community goes deeper than what money can buy.

That's all that would matter to me anyways.

• deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options

Only then will you learn that the plight of the black community goes deeper than what money can buy.

True.

Gotta be careful because a lot of that can backfire.

Well, maybe not backfire......but a lot of obstacles would be thrown at you by your local/state government.

Which is ironic because that kind of help would actually save the local government money.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bgoat wrote: »
    I would open up a school. Multiple schools.

word i'd try to open a free trade school......try to market with companies that would get paid incentives or even tax breaks for hiring recent graduates....also try to work with the city/state to have probation times reduced as a incentive for those who complete the course work, and find active employment
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My dream would be to send neighborhood kids to college out of state because for me leaving jersey to go to school was the best thing I ever did. Currently I take pride in the properties I own and the relationship I have with my tenants. My goal is to make sure the rent is affordable and the apartments are well kept so they can take pride in the home. I would probably start a single moms charity that puts down payments on homes.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    start some businesses, open up an academy to bring folks in to teach the kids about real subjects and not ? taught in schools: taxes, real estate, investing, etc.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not a dime, not a dime. Gotta show the lil ? what's away from the hood. I'd take 7 teens on a trip to Africa, Europe, and south America. Show them that there is more to the world then just their neighborhood. Alot of those kids won't leave a 100 block radius unless it's to go to prison.

This of what i was getting at with the outdoor program. You just took it to the next level.
  • felliwonda
    felliwonda Members Posts: 416 ✭✭✭
    Options

That's true although one should know "how far their pockets reach." If you PLAN it out you should have a forecast about how much money you will be spending. Say for instance i have 40 million dollars tax already taken care of the whole nine, that's 40 mil to do me right. Well say for instance am ready to take on this very challenge that I put for myself, I think if from 40 mil I take away 3.2mil to take care of some of the projects I said I would do I will be satisfied and that's my goal give and take. Anything above 3.5 mil is out of the question but I will have done some of those things I said I will do...now I got 36.8 million dollars for myself mmmm let me see I might want to invest a lot of it while with 5 milli I would have already taken care of myself and my family, in the meantime I got a descent amount of money on a Swiss account and some more working for me to get back more revenue. Not to mention interest money coming in to pay off bills. Something like that.
  • felliwonda
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    I would purchase all of the real estate I could and actually live in the neighborhood.

I would renovate each property to modern standards. I would offer the properties rent free, with the condition that the tenant pays properties taxes and signs a 5-10 year contract to maintain the property up to my standards as well making a commitment to join a community organization. i.e. neighborhood watch, neighborhood clean up, neighborhood farm\gardening, school PTA or neighborhood child care.

I would setup a program for my tenants to put money away to purchase additional properties in the neighborhood (CASH) and continue offering free housing to tenants in the neighborhood.

Every neighborhood resident would be required to add his or her name to a database that lists what their skills are or the type of business they own\operate.

At the end of the tenants contract they could purchase the property and obtain their deed but they would be required to sign a contract that specifies they have to sell the some back to the community or to an approved buyer who is looking to contribute to the community in the same manner.

Amazing. Very good plan right there man. Salute!
  • felliwonda
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Scholarships

Turkeys

Toys for kids on Christmas/Hanakuh/Kwanzaa

Music/Tech/Art supplies for school, elementary-highschool

I would donate to the education budget as well. Possibly fund field trips or better wages for teachers who actually like to teach.

Until i get my multi million dollar bank account though, I aint doing ? .

you know that last sentence I can agree 100% and the reason that being is because I strongly believe for myself that when I set out to execute a plan like this I wanna do it to the maximum so yeah having that $$$ ready is essential to me cause I'm trying to make this ? happen.
  • bgoat
    bgoat Members Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DWO wrote: »

word i'd try to open a free trade school......try to market with companies that would get paid incentives or even tax breaks for hiring recent graduates....also try to work with the city/state to have probation times reduced as a incentive for those who complete the course work, and find active employment

I would definitely be in the trade schools
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wouldn't do ? . Last time I checked, nobody did ? for me but my mamma so ? em.

True story
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Find a way to teach the youth about I.T. at a young age since that's what helped me get out. They'll grow up in it and learn a certain field like a 2nd language....

Schools for other trades would be opened up too....
  • Bully_Pulpit
    Bully_Pulpit Members Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Lobby politicians to fund programs for inner cities probably. We need a lobby for our demands in washington.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea....ok.

this thread is funny
    Not a dime, not a dime. Gotta show the lil ? what's away from the hood. I'd take 7 teens on a trip to Africa, Europe, and south America. Show them that there is more to the world then just their neighborhood. Alot of those kids won't leave a 100 block radius unless it's to go to prison.

this is the realest ? here...but more like a 10 block radius
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell ? yea. id be investing in blk buisnesses .
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Going back home to Mississippi, and taking a couple kids that are from poor, country/rural areas and taking them to a country in Europe and Africa just to show them there's much more to this world than their little town. I was blessed where I got to participate in a foreign exchange program as a kid. I saw many other countries, and I'd like to create an opportunity for others to do that as well. I'd also guide/mentor those same kids throughout their teen years, and pay their ways through college. Encourage them to get into STEM fields. If they want to learn a trade, I'd support through that as well. Once I get those first few kids through college or trade school, then I start over by showing up in another small town, choosing a couple kids to go through the program. I do this until I pass.

These kids in the Deep South(MS, AL, AR, LA, TN)...these country towns...don't have as much opportunity or resources as kids in the city, and a lot of the time they're forgotten. I've always felt it's up to people like me to make it, and then return back and help others either get out or do well in the state. I'd also buy up a lot of that rural land, and put some farms out there, and hire the locals to run it.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so has anyone outside @elzo an @zzombie start doing a ything?
  • felliwonda
    Options
    tumblr_n3evzzKoPz1qdnki4o1_500.gif

Yo this ? funny as hell the other day we were at work looking at some of ODB's highlights this ? was funny as hell look at his face dude was so sincere too man lmao
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think schools really make money at least from what i know most schools are run at a loss this would be especially so for schools that cater to the poor , starting a school on private money without the proper public backing should be a fast way to go broke.

You cannot really fix the issue within the black community with just money.... we need a complete and total character change coupled with economic, social and political re-education and this has to come from individual families.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can create all the programs and organizations your want. There's already 1000 trade programs but people choose to not use them.

I would begin with things that are universally needed like hospitals, legal aid, schools, supermarkets, and the like. It's expensive to run a hospital, a school and a law firm because you need such highly trained professionals but people need to have affortable assistance within reach and those things increase the value of neighborhoods.

• kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DWO wrote: »

word i'd try to open a free trade school......try to market with companies that would get paid incentives
    or even tax breaks for hiring recent graduates....also try to work with the city/state to have probation times reduced as a incentive for those who complete the course work, and find active employment

I don't know about Bmore, but holla at your Labor Dept. Y'all might already have something like that.
  • GodNThaBuild'n
    GodNThaBuild'n Members Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Enough to be a tax write off
  • matches malone
    matches malone Members Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buy some property and flip it for a profit to a white family

then rob the white family