The Get Down (Netflix Original) - 2016 (Season 2 2017 has begun)

Options

Comments

• CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who the ? is jaden smith supposed to be playing?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who the ? is jaden smith supposed to be playing?

No one in particular i dont think. Maybe his character was inspired by someone real, but he's just the older brother of Zeke's best friend and he's a graffiti artist so thats how he relates to hip hop. He's also into psychedelics and all spiritual and ? , kind of like his father. They didnt go too much into the father's history, but based off of his clothing and the way he acted I would assume hes into psychedelics haha.
  • CottonCitySlim
    Options
    I actually think they asked for him because he would be comfortable doing that scene

the whole time im like, thor better be a manly girl...but nope...gayness
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Haha i wouldnt doubt it.

That was the fastest ive watched a new show on netflix in forever. I hope they get Part 2 out on there ASAP.

The scenes where older zeke is rapping (when the Nas rap recaps are playing) in the first episode it said that concert took place in 1997. I wonder what the timeline is going to be for the show and how far into hip hop they are going to go. Will be crazy to see the ? Era hit and Gangsta rap become a popular thing.

I think there is going to be issues between Shao and Zeke in the future seasons. Shao agreed to it eventually, but you could tell he was upset with the Raps being a big focus of their battle instead of just the DJ. Shao is also probably going to get Deeper into Fat Annies business and either get in trouble or killed.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    is this ? safe to watch at work?
  • CottonCitySlim
    Options
    I don't think Shao will make it or Mylene will make it

I want the happy ending but i see her being strung out on drugs when she gets famous.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »

pretty sure there was no nudity.. i dont think...
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Nah not really. There is some nudity and drug use. Not much, but it is in there.

I want the happy ending but i see her being strung out on drugs when she gets famous.

I have the same idea about Marlene. Good Church girl getting into the famous life and having labels/people ? her over and end up on drugs. Hope it doesnt happen but i just have a feeling it will. She is so ? fine though.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I felt like the writers and ? have been heavy handed with Jalen Smith's character. If there is a basis for his character then it's Dondi. Dondi was the graffiti writer behind Zoro in Wild Style -even tho they had a writer playing that character, Dondi did all those pieces- and is probably the greatest writer of all time. Dondi was also a homosexual and an addict who died of AIDS, but that's not why we celebrate him. He's celebrated because he was such a prolific and skilled writer. Anyhow, the way they introduced that ? was a lame way to push the story. I don't like that they brought a white dude in so Diz could discover himself and Mylene's record got broke. It felt like a reach, a rush, and an exaggeration of outsider importance on the story-line. There was definitely white folks at the inception of hip hop, definitely some ? people, definitely some taboo things happening in NY, but it bothers me that he needed a ? -white Obi Wan Kenobi to open doors for him. Feels like some narcissistic white ? .
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The story is definitely building to Shao catching a bad one.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fiending for part 2
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1st episode started off a lil all over the place, but came together as I kept watchin. Added to my instant que.
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The girls apparently end up on stage with Books in the future so I wonder if it's a reunion concert. I'm sure there's a split somewhere.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    The dj/battle rap scene was classic

the soundtrack knocks too, i never quite understood the hate for Disco music.

That battle scene was crazy. ? made you feel the energy through the screen. That had to be a fun scene to shoot. Boo out there killing the Michael Jackson part too
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm on episode 1 good ? so far. Zeke too young and dumb to realize he needs to leave Mylene alone.