Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17532283/? -foster-miami-dolphins-plans-continue-kneeling-national-anthem
    Dolphins' Foster will continue to kneel for anthem

DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins running back ? Foster doubled down on his stance Monday to take a knee during the national anthem. Foster said that will continue to be his pregame routine when the Dolphins take the field Sunday against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium.

"Yeah," Foster said of taking a knee again. "We still feel the same way."

Dolphins receiver Kenny Stills, safety Michael Thomas and linebacker Jelani Jenkins joined Foster in taking a knee during the national anthem preceding Sunday's loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

Stills, who said he's still mulling over whether he will continue to kneel, added the group's decision sparked some quality conversation among the Dolphins. He said various players discussed the topic of racial oppression against minorities on the plane ride home from Seattle.

However, there has been plenty of public backlash toward Miami's four players over the past 24 hours. The decision to do it on the 15th anniversary of 9/11 only added to the emotion of the situation, although the players said their actions had nothing to do with 9/11.

"It stinks and it hurts, I guess, that people feel the way they do," Stills said. "But just understand that we're doing what we think is right. ... People close to me know who I am and understand who I am. They know that I'm trying to do the right thing."

Foster said the main purpose of their demonstration is to create a healthy dialogue on systemic racial issues such as education, the prison system and police brutality toward minorities. In turn, productive conversations could help lead to change.

"It's just so easy to hate," Foster said. "If you're proclaiming to be a true American, freedom runs in our bloodlines, right? It's supposed to. If somebody is telling you they don't feel like they're free, why wouldn't you listen to them?"
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    eastbay510 wrote: »
    Shannon Sharpe been doing a great job on these social topics so far

Chatham county
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    didnt know shuffle shoes was on with Shannon Sharpe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAAgOSVAtjg
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah man, he's been putting it down.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    What is the endgame in doing this? Is this going to change the justice system? The world is already aware of the injustices that black people face here in america.

We are in no-win situation because we aren't united and we don't have any land or infrastructures to call home.
    When Mlk said he regretting about leading his people into the situation this is the end result.
    We can't get justice, We can't thrive in a land that we don't control .
    I just don't understand black people at all there is no logical way to win in the current state that were in.
    One of the law of power Law 11: Learn To Keep People Dependent on You and as black people that's who we are right now we depend on white people for everything so we can't win

Idk what endgame is but as long as these protests keep disrupting white Harmony they should continue... black people have nothing to lose at this point

was gonna. Say this..

Who gives a ? what the "endgame" is..

The mere fact that ? are starting to give a ? less about whites opinion and acceptance is beautiful..

Let these ? be great!

we'll cross that bridge when we have to..

We should give a ? about the endgame because we need to achieve what were fighting for.

My point is when we have the attention of the world that's when we get what we want. It shouldn't be we get holler about stuff and don't get nothing done.

I don't want to waste an opportunity to get things done
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-adam-jones-it-was-the-right-time-for-me-to-speak-up-20160912-story.html
    Orioles' Adam Jones: 'It was the right time' for me to speak up

Orioles outfielder Adam Jones said he would never consider not standing for the national anthem before a game. His father spent 22 years in the Navy and his brother was also in the military, so he will always show respect to the flag and the anthem.

But as one of the most well-known African-American players in Major League Baseball, the five-time All-Star understands why San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick has chosen not to stand for the anthem.

Kaepernick gained national attention after the 49ers' third preseason game on Aug. 26 when he sat for the anthem. He was asked about it after the game and spoke about racial injustice in the country and said he was supporting those who were oppressed. He has since kneeled, during the anthem, hopeful to not show disrespect to the troops. Other National Football League players have followed him, including at several season-opening games Sunday. Athletes in other sports have joined in, but none from baseball.

“I stand for that for multiple reasons. I stand for more than one reason than just that," Jones said Monday before the Orioles played the Red Sox. "The American flag and national anthem and all that, when you dig deeper, that part of it is not why I [decide to] stand. But also I stand for something different than the anthem.

"We are Americans.Our First Amendment right When we speak out, we get backlash. I thought we had the First Amendment. So,I am using my First Amendment
    and I’m using it in a respectful manner. I just hope people educate themselves on the process. This is a long process.”

Jones, 31, didn't hold back in a USA Today story Monday in which he said that baseball hasn’t seen players protesting the anthem because baseball “is a white man’s sport” that consists of just 8 percent African-American players.

“Of course, and as I said, the headline grabbed strong attention,” Jones said. “People just are thinking, ‘Let’s just see the article [and] what Adam’s going to talk about.’ They’re going to say, ‘Oh, Adam [is a] black man talking about white people. Let’s see where this is going.’

"It already altered people’s minds. There’s nothing about me racist. I just stated the simple fact. Baseball is numbers. It’s 8 percent black. I didn’t make that up. In football, basketball, the numbers are in the 60s and 70s. These aren’t made up numbers. It just is what it is. I’m part of the 8 percent.”

Jones has been very active in the Baltimore community, spending almost his entire eight-year Orioles career donating time and money to the Boys and Girls Clubs of Metropolitan Baltimore and working with MLB's Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities program. Last week, he was named the Orioles' representative for the annual Roberto Clemente Award, given to the MLB player who "best exemplifies the game of baseball, sportsmanship, community involvement and the individual's contribution to his team."

“At the end of the day, I’m one of the most well-known black players in baseball,” Jones said. “There’s what 58, 59 of us and I’m one of the most known. For me, it was the right time and I know all those guys have spoken up about it at some point and time.

"My biggest thing about it is that society doesn’t mind us helping out the hood and the inner cities, but they have a problem when we speak about the hood and the inner cities. I don’t know understand that part.”

Jones said that he’s received a lot of positive feedback around the game for his comments, but expects continued backlash.

“You guys have been around me and seen me evolve as a man, husband, player father, you know I'm not just speaking out of the side of my neck just because I have forum,” Jones said. “I'm doing it because I understand. There’s going to be backlash, of course there is. Because people don't like the truth, I just gave the truth.”
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the endgame in doing this? Is this going to change the justice system? The world is already aware of the injustices that black people face here in america.

We are in no-win situation because we aren't united and we don't have any land or infrastructures to call home.
    When Mlk said he regretting about leading his people into the situation this is the end result.
    I just don't understand black people at all there is no logical way to win in the current state that were in.
    One of the law of power Law 11: Learn To Keep People Dependent on You and as black people that's who we are right now we depend on white people for everything so we can't win

Idk what endgame is but as long as these protests keep disrupting white Harmony they should continue... black people have nothing to lose at this point

was gonna. Say this..

The mere fact that ? are starting to give a ? less about whites opinion and acceptance is beautiful..

Let these ? be great!

We should give a ? about the endgame because we need to achieve what were fighting for.

My point is when we have the attention of the world that's when we get what we want. It shouldn't be we get holler about stuff and don't get nothing done.

fate rewards the bold my ? ..

Sometimes u jus gotta take risks in life...
    U know the sayin.. No risk no reward..

U type ? think too much..
    and then wonder why ? dont get done..

Its okay to wing it sometimes my ? ..
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Does anyone think the NBA players are gonna do anything regarding this when their season rolls around?
  • Olorun22
    Options
    Does anyone think the NBA players are gonna do anything regarding this when their season rolls around?

No NBA ? like to team up because they can't win with hall of fame players
  • Olorun22
    Options

was gonna. Say this..

Let these ? be great!

fate rewards the bold my ? ..

Sometimes u jus gotta take risks in life...
    U know the sayin.. No risk no reward..

U type ? think too much..
    and then wonder why ? dont get done..

Its okay to wing it sometimes my ? ..

Naw I'm not overthinking and we're already in the process so yeah everything we doing is winging it. I just want to win and preparation leads to success
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

was gonna. Say this..

Let these ? be great!

What kinda silly logic is that man? ? ain't protesting for the sake of protesting. There is a problem that they want addressed. Doing ? just because it makes white people mad isn't any better than doing ? to avoid offending white people. In both cases, your motivations revolve around white people and there feelings and not what's best for black people.

Honestly, I think they need to flip it on them. I don't know what they should do, but they should transition away from the kneeling during the anthem to something else. The CaCs have already accomplished their mission as far as that goes. I saw them talk about this ? about 100 times this weekend because of all the football being played and I can't recall once when they actually discussed the meaning behind all of it. People like Shannon Sharpe are trying to keep that message out there, but this ? military red herring has effectively rendered anthem/flag protests moot when it comes to raising awareness for the actual cause.

I hope someone can come up with something that is in your face and can't be dismissed, but also can't be deflected. That's tough though because people in the media are good at deflecting.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

was gonna. Say this..

Let these ? be great!

What kinda silly logic is that man? ? ain't protesting for the sake of protesting. There is a problem that they want addressed. Doing ? just because it makes white people mad isn't any better than doing ? to avoid offending white people. In both cases, your motivations revolve around white people and there feelings and not what's best for black people.

Honestly, I think they need to flip it on them. I don't know what they should do, but they should transition away from the kneeling during the anthem to something else. The CaCs have already accomplished their mission as far as that goes. I saw them talk about this ? about 100 times this weekend because of all the football being played and I can't recall once when they actually discussed the meaning behind all of it. People like Shannon Sharpe are trying to keep that message out there, but this ? military red herring has effectively rendered anthem/flag protests moot when it comes to raising awareness for the actual cause.

I hope someone can come up with something that is in your face and can't be dismissed, but also can't be deflected. That's tough though because people in the media are good at deflecting.

The ? are u talkin about.
    I didnt even finish readin that ? seein as i CLEARLY stated in the post u quotin how im happy ? is FINALLY starting to NOT give a ? about what crackas feel and think..

Thats empowerment in itself..
    And jus the beginnin... Cause wit that mental chains are bein broken..

Try again..
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kaepernick got the corn rows.
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Donald Trump Wants All NFL Protesters to Leave America

Remember Donald Trump’s campaign slogan is “Make America Great Again”.

That means he obviously thinks America isn’t that great at the moment, so it is quite ironic that he wants others who have problems with the country to leave, but not himself.

“Well, I think it’s a lack of respect for our country,” Trump said. “I think it’s a lack of appreciation for our country, and it’s a very sad thing. I’ve never seen anything quite like it, actually. You know, you are talking about a major sport, maybe the major sport, and when you see that and it leads to a lot of other things. I think it’s a great lack of respect and appreciation for our country and I really said they should try another country, see if they like it better. See how well they’ll be doing. See if they are going to be making $20 million being a second-string quarterback.”
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

was gonna. Say this..

Let these ? be great!

I didnt even finish readin that ? seein as i CLEARLY stated in the post u quotin how im happy ? is FINALLY starting to NOT give a ? about what crackas feel and think..

Try again..

Yeah, my bad. I wasn't really clear with my point.

You asked "who gives a ? what the "endgame" is?" The answer is "everyone with any sense." No one protests for the sake of protesting. People protest to accomplish something, so everyone involved should care what the endgame is.

A few ? not giving a ? what white people think doesn't mean much if ? are still getting shot down in the street. Making white people upset is pointless if it isn't resulting in something that benefits us.

As for breaking mental chains. I wouldn't even say much of that is going on. There have always been black who gave less that a ? what whites though. My wife's grandfather slapped the ? out of a white man back when that could get you hanged. He had to leave his hometown for life, but...hey, it was probably worth it. The fact that we got so called civil rights leaders out there bashing the players for what they're doing shows you that those chains are still very much intact. So better to aim for real victories than meaning psychological victories.
  • blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

was gonna. Say this..

Let these ? be great!

Try again..

Yeah, my bad. I wasn't really clear with my point.

You asked "who gives a ? what the "endgame" is?" The answer is "everyone with any sense." No one protests for the sake of protesting. People protest to accomplish something, so everyone involved should care what the endgame is.

A few ? not giving a ? what white people think doesn't mean much if ? are still getting shot down in the street. Making white people upset is pointless if it isn't resulting in something that benefits us.

As for breaking mental chains. I wouldn't even say much of that is going on. There have always been black who gave less that a ? what whites though. My wife's grandfather slapped the ? out of a white man back when that could get you hanged. He had to leave his hometown for life, but...hey, it was probably worth it. The fact that we got so called civil rights leaders out there bashing the players for what they're doing shows you that those chains are still very much intact. So better to aim for real victories than meaning psychological victories.
    Bruh, these football players have sparked nationwide protest. Black ppl have FINALLY became aware & are now challenging white supremacy as we know it. But pessimistic azz ? like you aren't even given the ? a chance to grow by already talking about a ? end game. Progress will NEVER get made if ? don't appreciate the little things. Why not just be proud of black athletes finally taking a stand? Believe it or not, things like this are what start real change