Is The Rap Culture Destroying Black People?

Options

Comments

• Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If 'rap' is killing us, why didn't the Cosby show save us?

how many seasons of the Cosby show does it take to counteract every negative rap song?

If rap is destroying us, why isn't gospel saving us?

how many of the yutes got both Gucci Mane and Fred Hammonds on their playlist in their ipods/iphones?

how many ? got sat radio preset channels in their car that include both Shade45 and gospel channels?

where are we really trying to go with this my brother? :(

true or false:
    millennials are less criminal than baby boomers.
    Its true my brother.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    any ? saying no obviously has an agenda

it's pretty obvious that rap is destructive as ?

only thing saving a lot of black kids is that a lot of them listen to other genres of music as well

but I remember as a teenager myself being brainwashed by the ? .......had I not had other influences from other music (and even the small amount of positive rap) there is no telling where I would be today

the main issue tho is that rap is no longer controlled by the people who make it............at best the system is run by ? turned to pimps who turn back into ? that breed a new generation of ?

If your only influences are coming from music, regardless of genre, that's never a good thing and you're always going to get bad results even if all you listened to growing up was so called "positive rap" because it's a skewed version of reality. I listened to all sorts of gangsta rap growing up. I also had my father, my uncles, my grandfather and a few other people around me to let me know what is real and what's just pretend. That don't come from music, that comes from the people who influence your life outside of what's playing in your headphones.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes.

Rap that promotes behaviors that result in negative psychological and physical consequences reinforces the beliefs....repeatedly....and once absorbed....normalizes them...like any other propaganda tool.

Rap music is the background for the life you live everyday...and if you grow up in "the hood" during your formative and influential years a lot of other negativities are reinforced as normal everyday. The imagery you see in real life + the messages you mentally decode from what you hear all influence you. Thoughts from outside influences become things and eventually you create your reality from the inside out.

A lot of ppl are unwitting or knowingly agents to the negativity (including myself, I post rap music that glorifies violence in my signatures here and there). I lump it in the lot with other vices.

In many cases, in the long run good parenting overrides the above and the vice can be enjoyed without consequences to that individual, but group think and peer pressure all play factors.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

how many seasons of the Cosby show does it take to counteract every negative rap song?

how many of the yutes got both Gucci Mane and Fred Hammonds on their playlist in their ipods/iphones?

how many ? got sat radio preset channels in their car that include both Shade45 and gospel channels?

true or false:
    Its true my brother.

I don't recall this necessarily being a generational issue.........let's not act like Gen X and Millenials are doing way better than baby boomers when it comes to crime:

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/550536/with-90-homicides-august-was-chicago-s-bloodiest-month-in-20-years#latest

• Brother_Five
    Options

true or false:
    Its true my brother.

I don't recall this necessarily being a generational issue.........let's not act like Gen X and Millenials are doing way better than baby boomers when it comes to crime:

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/550536/with-90-homicides-august-was-chicago-s-bloodiest-month-in-20-years#latest

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/09/07/young-people-are-committing-much-less-crime-older-people-are-still-behaving-as-badly-as-before/

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/aspp9313.pdf

highlight:
    But surprisingly, the drop in the arrest rate over time is entirely accounted for by the current generation of young adults, who are busted 23 percent less frequently than prior generations were at their age. Remarkably, despite the national drop in overall crime and arrest rates, the arrest rate among older Americans is higher than it was 20 years ago. This holds for adults ages 40 to 54 (a 9 percent increase) and even more so for adults age 55 and older (a 12 percent increase). The baby boomers, who drove the American crime explosion in their youth, are apparently continuing to outdo prior generations in their late-life criminality.
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    any ? saying no obviously has an agenda

it's pretty obvious that rap is destructive as ?

only thing saving a lot of black kids is that a lot of them listen to other genres of music as well

but I remember as a teenager myself being brainwashed by the ? .......had I not had other influences from other music (and even the small amount of positive rap) there is no telling where I would be today

the main issue tho is that rap is no longer controlled by the people who make it............at best the system is run by ? turned to pimps who turn back into ? that breed a new generation of ?

If your only influences are coming from music, regardless of genre, that's never a good thing and you're always going to get bad results even if all you listened to growing up was so called "positive rap" because it's a skewed version of reality. I listened to all sorts of gangsta rap growing up. I also had my father, my uncles, my grandfather and a few other people around me to let me know what is real and what's just pretend. That don't come from music, that comes from the people who influence your life outside of what's playing in your headphones.

u wouldn't have needed mofos to let u know what's real if the music wasn't potentially destructive in the 1st place tho

besides lets pretend that majority of the black youth is as fortunate as u in regards to having positive male role models

now I'm waiting for @Brother_Five to compare the rate of single mother led households between baby boomers and millenials haha

too much rap is like too much alcohol IMO........in responsible doses, it's cool

otherwise u lying to the youth trying to act like rap is good for them
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    wait.... rap is responsible for single mother led households?
    not government policies that encouraged removing fathers from homes? not changing views on gender roles?
  • blakfyahking
    Options
    not government policies that encouraged removing fathers from homes? not changing views on gender roles?

no.....the point I'm getting at is what @blackrain brought up

he had positive male influences growing up to counteract the negative effects of rap music

my point is that he wouldn't have needed someone to have a positive influence if he wasn't implicitly admitting that rap has a negative influence (ie. being destructive)

and I also pointed out that many black kids do not have the luxury of a positive male influence today........hence rap having even more of an opportunity to be destructive
  • Brother_Five
    Options
    despite the rhetoric, black folks been doing better since the first rap song spun on the radio.
    also, the idea that black ppl are uniquely influenced by music is white supremacist ? .
    g'head lead a crusade against rap, again. it will be fruitless.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every time this topic comes up, without fail people make the same stupid comments. You carefully point out why they can't be right, but to no avail.
    Copper wrote: »
    Black people in america have the same problems we had before rap music for the most part...

I know you're not the brightest, but this is wrong. Even if one thing preceded a certain problem, that doesn't mean that it can't contribute to the same problem. There were broken families before there were drugs, but it would be incorrect to say that from this it follows that drugs could not possibly contribute to broken families.

And you continue to ? it up because black women don't like you and black men see the sucka cornball in you.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggyAF wrote: »
    Teen pregnancy is down, graduation rates are up (especially for black women), crime is down.....

Exactly what aspect of black culture is being destroyed by hip hop ? It's very easy to make these allegations but rarely do folks back it up

• Brother_Five
    Options
    Teen pregnancy is down, graduation rates are up (especially for black women), crime is down.....

Exactly what aspect of black culture is being destroyed by hip hop ? It's very easy to make these allegations but rarely do folks back it up

well the kids dress funny now.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    despite the rhetoric, black folks been doing better since the first rap song spun on the radio.
    also, the idea that black ppl are uniquely influenced by music is white supremacist ? .
    g'head lead a crusade against rap, again. it will be fruitless.

You ? piece of ? ? . Every single time this topic comes up, you appear out of nowhere and make the same incredibly stupid arguments. No matter how many times I patiently explain it to you. It is almost like you are a paid agent of white supremacy.

That black folks are doing better since the 1970s doesn't show that rap is not a negative influence. It may be that we would be doing better still (perhaps much better still) but for rap.

That is a very simple point, but it undermines you entire argument. Why you can't understand it (if indeed you can't understand it) is beyond me.

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Because the culture is not inundated with gospel music.. "Rap culture" is in the air.. Gospel not even on the air
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Think rap music and rappers, raised a lot of cats with no fathers, or men to look up to. Personally went through it trying to emulate the lifestyle as kid. Me and a lot of the other kids around me that grew up in the hood that thought, bread in ya pocket, 20' chains, a dope medallion, being fresh to death everyday you step out, and being heartless to any and everybody was the key to happiness. only to realize all that was ? and it don't make you at all happy. it's like a drug you have to keep re'upin

a lot of ? won't cop to that, but it is what it is
  • blackrain
    edited September 2016
    Options

no.....the point I'm getting at is what @blackrain brought up

he had positive male influences growing up to counteract the negative effects of rap music

my point is that he wouldn't have needed someone to have a positive influence if he wasn't implicitly admitting that rap has a negative influence (ie. being destructive)

and I also pointed out that many black kids do not have the luxury of a positive male influence today........hence rap having even more of an opportunity to be destructive

@blakfyahking You're skewing my point to agree with yours when it doesn't. Even with my male influences, I still had basic common sense to know what I saw on tv and what I heard in music simply wasn't real. The male influences simply helped me to learn how to apply what I knew was real vs what wasn't. But in terms of being able to distinguish right from wrong, I didn't need an influence for that. That's just basic common sense and living life that taught me that.

I said in my first post rap can have a negative influence on someone who isn't strong enough already on their own to separate the fake ? from the actual substance but that isn't restricted to rap music, that's popular culture in general. You're never going to get a good outcome if you depend on pop culture in any form to influence your view of the world around you. Rap ain't unique in that aspect but people love to pretend it is
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was groovin to this not too long ago, n was thinkin how dangerous some ? so groovy can influence u into self destruction

https://youtu.be/sMsgO3Ti3Nc

I dont think there is anything
    wrong wit a song like that (substitute
    a more current jam if need be) in it of itself existing...its the lack of balance ...the lack of the full spectrum of black humanity being on display thats the real issue. The reality we face is that we dont manufacture or steer or own image and narritive...were simply subject to it...the fact that our children are reared only seeing entertaininers universilally celebrated is just as dangerous and debilitating...and only acknowledged beyond entertainment when crime is involved....so this goes beyond rap... its just a section of our miseducation.

And what aint considered broken (by them) wont be fixed. Were the court jesters of america. This aint about labels or corporations but who we allow to mold the minds of us n our children

• I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Me and a lot of the other kids around me that grew up in the hood that thought, bread in ya pocket, 20' chains, a dope medallion, being fresh to death everyday you step out, and being heartless to any and everybody was the key to happiness. only to realize all that was ? and it don't make you at all happy. it's like a drug you have to keep re'upin

a lot of ? won't cop to that, but it is what it is

That mindset aint exclusive to rap in the least bit...thats American to the tee
  • SolemnSauce
    edited September 2016
    Options
    so to say it has no influence at all would be untrue. Negative or Positive, it does influence the youth. When it's so much about Gunplay, drugs, and sex with no substance at all. It's starts to become more of a negative influence than any positive can evenly or out weigh.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »
    KEEP IT 100...

IM FROM THE HOOD, BUT I AINT NO HOOD ? ..

95% OF HOOD ? I KNOW ABOUT (HOW TO MAKE ? , PIMPIN, SCAMMERS) THANGS OF THAT NATURE, I LEARNED FROM RAP

I HAD ZERO IDEA WHAT A LLAMA WAS (WAKKA FLAKKA)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT A GUN BEING PLASTIC (LIL WAYNE)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT THE OUIJA BOARDS (BONE THUGS)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT GANG LIFE (WEST COAST)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT SELLIN DUMMIES (BREAD CRUMBS AND SOAP MADE TO LOOK LIKE ? ) BONETHUGS..

AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON...

I ALSO KNOW ABOUT BLACK RIGHTEOUSNESS FROM GOODIE MOB
    I KNOW ABOUT BEING YOUR OWN PERSON FROM OUTKAST
    I KNOW ABOUT BLACKS BEING SPIRITUAL AND BEAUTIFUL FROM GOODMOB

ITS UP TO THE LISTENER TO KNOW WHAT REAL AND WHATS NOT..

do you have parents my brother?

.OF COURSE BUT THEY AINT TEACH ME ? ABOUT ? , GANGS ETC..

I KNEW MY FOLKS WOULD BEAT MY ASS, SO I STAYED IN LINE...

this is the key / x factor... U were raised right and the fear of getting ur ass whooped kept u in line lol... Now look at this current generation... How many youth have your or my type parents? I had to steal and sneak my homies or cousins tapes to hear certain rap... we had parental labels on our ? meaning we couldnt just walk in a store and buy it. Kids today just go on YouTube or the internet and can hear any song they want uncensored. more exposure to rap pluse poor parenting plus more influential youth = what we see today
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Huh?

White ppl spend more money in hip hop than we do
  • SolemnSauce
    Options
    high school kids buy more condoms than grown men
  • blackrain
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    KEEP IT 100...

IM FROM THE HOOD, BUT I AINT NO HOOD ? ..

95% OF HOOD ? I KNOW ABOUT (HOW TO MAKE ? , PIMPIN, SCAMMERS) THANGS OF THAT NATURE, I LEARNED FROM RAP

I HAD ZERO IDEA WHAT A LLAMA WAS (WAKKA FLAKKA)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT A GUN BEING PLASTIC (LIL WAYNE)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT THE OUIJA BOARDS (BONE THUGS)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT GANG LIFE (WEST COAST)
    I AINT KNOW ? ABOUT SELLIN DUMMIES (BREAD CRUMBS AND SOAP MADE TO LOOK LIKE ? ) BONETHUGS..

AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON...

I ALSO KNOW ABOUT BLACK RIGHTEOUSNESS FROM GOODIE MOB
    I KNOW ABOUT BEING YOUR OWN PERSON FROM OUTKAST
    I KNOW ABOUT BLACKS BEING SPIRITUAL AND BEAUTIFUL FROM GOODMOB

ITS UP TO THE LISTENER TO KNOW WHAT REAL AND WHATS NOT..

do you have parents my brother?

.OF COURSE BUT THEY AINT TEACH ME ? ABOUT ? , GANGS ETC..

I KNEW MY FOLKS WOULD BEAT MY ASS, SO I STAYED IN LINE...

this is the key / x factor... U were raised right and the fear of getting ur ass whooped kept u in line lol... Now look at this current generation... How many youth have your or my type parents? I had to steal and sneak my homies or cousins tapes to hear certain rap... we had parental labels on our ? meaning we couldnt just walk in a store and buy it. Kids today just go on YouTube or the internet and can hear any song they want uncensored. more exposure to rap pluse poor parenting plus more influential youth = what we see today

Hell I didnt have to steal or hide nothing. My dad let me and my brothers and my sister listen to whatever we wanted. Both my brothers have been locked up, older brother been in and out consistently since he was 17. My sister never been in any trouble with the law, I've never been in any serious trouble and even when I was out there doing any kind of dirt I knew what I was doing was wrong and I wasn't out there doing it because I was hearing rappers talk about it. I did what I did because I wanted to and it was a quick means to an end for an ultimate goal of mine which I did end up accomplishing. Young people don't make bad decisions because they hear a rapper talking about hustling, they do it because at that moment it seems as if it's the best option to achieve whatever goal they have in their mind they want to reach. My siblings and I all grew up in the same home w/ the same influences...sometimes different things stick to different people. It ain't rap music fault I never got locked up but my brothers did...it ain't rap music fault I graduated college by my brothers didn't. It's our own personal choices that led us down the paths we did.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    Huh?

White ppl spend more money in hip hop than we do

lets not bring that cliche in..

The way we TYPICALLY consume it and the way they TYPICALLY consume it is different and again other environmental factors contribute..
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. It personally influenced me in more ways than one. Most notably womanizing, foul language, and drug use. And I was almost destroyed because of the choices I made. I'm not going to blame rap music for forcing me to do what I did, but I know that rap music definitely influenced me to make the choices I did.

When all you constantly hear is:

1. Have sex with as many women as you can
    2. Do drugs, it's cool.
    3. Hate everybody that is not with you
    4. Shoot, ? , murder, bang, bang anybody that is the enemy
    5. Money this, money that
    6. With every curse word imaginable laced between every other word
    (side note for #6-Girls are cool with being called "hoes, ? , thots" and every other derogatory term. Rap music played a big part in the mainstream use of these words being directed toward women. Now they call each other by those names with no problem it seems like. It's kind of crazy when you think about it.)

how can you not be influenced by the messages you are pumping into your soul when all you are letting in is what it's listed above? It happened to me! I haven't always been saved. And I know how I was before I was saved. All I did was listen to Mac dre, suga free, no limit, lil wayne, pac, big, etc. back in the day. And there was nothing positive in that mix of music. And my life showed it.

Now that I know the truth after coming to the light of Jesus Christ I see the bigger picture at work. And there is a spiritual enemy that is behind all things that are ungodly. A spiritual enemy who is an expert in music and entertainment, being that he once led all the host of heaven in worship music to ? . So it's no wonder that he clothes himself as an angel of light in order to deceive humanity. His PhD is in deception. And there is no one better than him at doing it.

Therefore when you have no light coming in all that remains is darkness. And that darkness will influence you until you let the light come in. And the bottom line truth is that there is a lot of darkness in rap music. Just today I was reading about young pappy who was killed in chicago and the article said that he was killed because of the music he made which was taunting his enemies. So I wanted to hear what he said and this is what I found:

https://youtu.be/0uSn98gkT1Y

I can't imagine how I would be if I was growing up listening to that. I almost became a statistic just listening to Mac Dre. But as my Pastor told me when I first got saved: "Garbage in, Garbage out". Meaning if you let garbage in your ears and eyes, you will let garbage come back out of your mouth and actions. And it's as simple as that.

My sermon. Amen.

There's two sides to every story. Listen to Afterlife Part 2 and you won't view Pap as a Savage but simply misguided. His whole story is sad,