Is The Fugees - The Score A Top 10 Hip Hop Album?

Options

Comments

• thuggathugga
    thuggathugga Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    Options
    this isn't a top 10 album it is filled with a bunch of fillers & blah tracks.
  • BedStuy
    BedStuy Members Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    joshrock wrote: »
    Cybertr0n wrote: »
    Man, you might have to go back to the oldschoolhiphop forum if you're going to keep speaking down in a condescending tone. @king hassan , @O.G. , @Rahlow , @bigev240 , and others don't even do that. Why don't you try recruiting some members from the oldschoolhiphop forum? I'm sure they would be a little surprised like i was to see how you act in here.

They got a old school forum somewhere? Is it any good?
    It's okay but don't have as much traffic like this forum. 5 grand came here because it says allhiphop. He notice the demopgraphic in here is mostly Hip Hop fans that was born in the late 80's & 90's and made an age discrimination poll. There's still over a dozen old heads in here but they don't act like 5 grand. He's special.

His threads still does numbers but they be trolling him because he gives off a negative vibe sometimes i guess.

Whats the link for that joint?
    it's a waste of time going there but anyway

LOL. Good looks. Most of the time its a waste coming here. That's why I got so little posts in well over a decade.
    It's still some threads in the reason worth checking out but i can't tell you that because of what you just said. I like posting in the "what are you listening to thread" and the iLLpix section because i like looking at big ? ? .
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope - Not Top 10
    You could say yes and you'd be wrong.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope - Not Top 10
    My top 20 hell yea..

That ? has aged well by the way. I listen to it once a year at least..
    https://youtu.be/5v7wIJHV3t4
    Lauryn Hill is a top 20 mc off that album alone..
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, you might have to go back to the oldschoolhiphop forum if you're going to keep speaking down in a condescending tone. @king hassan , @O.G. , @Rahlow , @bigev240 , and others don't even do that. Why don't you try recruiting some members from the oldschoolhiphop forum? I'm sure they would be a little surprised like i was to see how you act in here.

I think it's because we know everybody in here has it's own taste when it comes to hip hop. We also know that there are many age groups in here also. I'm not going to talk down to you if you haven't heard such and such's CD or you wasn't born when this CD came out. If a person wants to know what was hot during that time, I would tell them you should check out this and that. At the end of the day that's all you can do.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes - Top 10

It's okay but don't have as much traffic like this forum. 5 grand came here because it says allhiphop. He notice the demopgraphic in here is mostly Hip Hop fans that was born in the late 80's & 90's and made an age discrimination poll. There's still over a dozen old heads in here but they don't act like 5 grand. He's special.

His threads still does numbers but they be trolling him because he gives off a negative vibe sometimes i guess.

The reason I brought up age is because the first few posts in THIS thread were disses and negative vibes. It felt like people were clowning me for making such a poll. Like the idea was preposterous. I figured that the people that made those posts must not remembered when it came out.

Because The Score outsold All Eyes On Me, Ready To Die, It Was Written, Illmatic, Only Built For Cuban Linx, Reasonable Doubt and still had street credibility. Its not like they were on some MC Hammer/Vanilla Ice vibe. They could actually rap and the beats were real Hip Hop.

Having said that I'd put Lauryn up against ANY rapper from 1996.
  • jim1000
    jim1000 Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    First you say

You a stupid muthafucka
    You a stupid muthafucka
    /thread
    Not even better than Lauryn solo album

You guys were obviously in diapers when it came out.

They had their finger on the pulse of Hip Hop. It was the perfect balance to All Eyes On Me, It Was Written, Only Built For Cuban Linx and all of the other mafioso/gangsta albums.

It didn't go 6X platinum for nothing.

Fool most of the ? on the forum was in diapers when it came out so why bother asking us

You mad annoying with bringing up age when you don't agree with someone

Then you say
    You a stupid muthafucka
    You a stupid muthafucka
    /thread

They had their finger on the pulse of Hip Hop. It was the perfect balance to All Eyes On Me, It Was Written, Only Built For Cuban Linx and all of the other mafioso/gangsta albums.

Fool most of the ? on the forum was in diapers when it came out so why bother asking us

Well your screen name is from an album that came out a year before The Score.

Mind explaining that?

SMH you missed the point, me being too young don't have ? to do with anything. Most of the posters on here are in my age group, so if you gonna just dismiss my opinion because I'm not old enough why bother asking?

There's another thread asking Death Certificate vs Me Against The World, both albums came out before The Score.

But if you don't remember when The Score was out then your opinion is irrelevant. That album had a HUGE impact on pop culture. They played Killing Me Softly on the radio 24/7.

The Fugees kinda took over from Tribe Called Quest and the Native Tongues movement. Having Lauryn in the group made a big difference. Tribe and De la were going gold and platinum but The Fugees went 6X plat, which is actually more than 2Pac and Biggie were doing at the time.

I know Me Against The World and All Eyes on Me eventually sold 9X plat or diamond, but at the time they only sold 4x and 5x plat. They sold more after Pac died.

Anyway, That Fugees album was HUGE. And it was clean too. There were only a few curses.

Yea the score was huge back then but that doesn't mean it should be a top 10 either. It's definitely debatable though thats for sure.
  • jim1000
    Options

The reason I brought up age is because the first few posts in THIS thread were disses and negative vibes. It felt like people were clowning me for making such a poll. Like the idea was preposterous. I figured that the people that made those posts must not remembered when it came out.

Because The Score outsold All Eyes On Me, Ready To Die, It Was Written, Illmatic, Only Built For Cuban Linx, Reasonable Doubt and still had street credibility. Its not like they were on some MC Hammer/Vanilla Ice vibe. They could actually rap and the beats were real Hip Hop.

Having said that I'd put Lauryn up against ANY rapper from 1996.

This is definitely a good thread. Fugees is arguably one of the the best rap group of all time IMO.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope - Not Top 10

I'm sure jacking famous songs and redoing them for a 3rd of the album didn't hurt in getting all those sales.

Welcome to 90s Hip Hop
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope - Not Top 10
    The score wack.How an album with 2 good songs on it a classic? And one of em was a roberta flack remake
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes - Top 10
    I was in NY when this dropped so I'm probably biased
  • jim1000
    Options
    The score wack.How an album with 2 good songs on it a classic? And one of em was a roberta flack remake

2 good songs?? You serious?? ? all three singles were fire.

"Fu Gee La"

"ready or not"

"Killing me softly"

You bugging B.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope - Not Top 10
    Hell naw
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope - Not Top 10
    Solid album though
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope - Not Top 10
    "My girl pinch my hips to see if I still exist"
  • macadonwoo
    macadonwoo Members Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes - Top 10
    Yall tripping
  • juelz21
    juelz21 Members Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭
    Options
    First you say

You a stupid muthafucka
    You a stupid muthafucka
    /thread

Then you say
    You a stupid muthafucka
    You a stupid muthafucka
    /thread

Well your screen name is from an album that came out a year before The Score.

Mind explaining that?

SMH you missed the point, me being too young don't have ? to do with anything. Most of the posters on here are in my age group, so if you gonna just dismiss my opinion because I'm not old enough why bother asking?

There's another thread asking Death Certificate vs Me Against The World, both albums came out before The Score.

But if you don't remember when The Score was out then your opinion is irrelevant. That album had a HUGE impact on pop culture. They played Killing Me Softly on the radio 24/7.

The Fugees kinda took over from Tribe Called Quest and the Native Tongues movement. Having Lauryn in the group made a big difference. Tribe and De la were going gold and platinum but The Fugees went 6X plat, which is actually more than 2Pac and Biggie were doing at the time.

I know Me Against The World and All Eyes on Me eventually sold 9X plat or diamond, but at the time they only sold 4x and 5x plat. They sold more after Pac died.

Anyway, That Fugees album was HUGE. And it was clean too. There were only a few curses.

yeah that album ............. but all eyez on me sold more according to soundscan worldwide according to pac he sold close to 7 million without a major tour to support that.
  • juelz21
    juelz21 Members Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Options
    and for the record this is not a top ten album lyrically or musically imo.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IDK but can tell you certainly LoveBelow aint.
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still ain't heard it, been meaning to lately

I remembered blunted on reality, which is why I ain't sit down n listen to this when it droppdd.? was horrible...they had an offhand Onxy sound, without the violence....? was wack
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes - Top 10
    It's in my personal top 10, but it ain't an album that I think should be in damn near everyone's top 10 like Illmatic or OB4CL.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Yes - Top 10
    Still ain't heard it, been meaning to lately

I remembered blunted on reality, which is why I ain't sit down n listen to this when it droppdd.? was horrible...they had an offhand Onxy sound, without the violence....? was wack

Yeah their first album was a dud. But The Score was flawless.
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nope - Not Top 10
    jim1000 wrote: »

"Fu Gee La"

"ready or not"

"Killing me softly"

You bugging B.

That's Your opinion don't project your opinions on others if they disagree with you.Ready or not was good and killing me softly too,fu gee la wack

Album weak cowboys,family business(wit john forte the WOAT),the beast,zealots,mista mista all suck those songs filler supreme

Death Certificate
    Low End Theory
    Midnight Marauders
    It's dark & hell is hot
    Ready To die
    Life After Death
    Stillmatic
    The Blueprint
    Late Registration
    Mbdtf

These are 10 classic hip hop albums I just named off the top of my head that blow the score out the water
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Yes - Top 10
    jim1000 wrote: »

"Fu Gee La"

"ready or not"

"Killing me softly"

You bugging B.

That's Your opinion don't project your opinions on others if they disagree with you.Ready or not was good and killing me softly too,fu gee la wack

Album weak cowboys,family business(wit john forte the WOAT),the beast,zealots,mista mista all suck those songs filler supreme

Death Certificate
    Low End Theory
    Midnight Marauders
    It's dark & hell is hot
    Ready To die
    Life After Death
    Stillmatic
    The Blueprint
    Late Registration
    Mbdtf

These are 10 classic hip hop albums I just named off the top of my head that blow the score out the water

I'd put The Score up against any of the albums you just named.