What Beef Did the most Damage to HipHop as a Culture???

Options
124»

Comments

• rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd say NWA vs. Public Enemy. Now! Was not a "Beef" per' say but in the words of Professor Griff " A purposely perpetuated Neutralization of consciousness in hip hop" by one of the best and biggest to put it down. Was a paradigm shift when that occurred that has never been rectified or resurrected. Was truly detrimental to where hip hop was going and could have been. But 4 the post sake I'll go with Pac and BIG.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    East(Big) Versus West(Pac)
    Not only was their deaths great losses to Hiphop.....it also gave people that don't know ? about the culture another reason to point and talk down on the artform as an ignorant and violent culture. Then those same people proceeded to turn right around and ? it.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hip hop lost two of the 5 greatest rappers of all time from one beef...nothing comes close to the damage that beef did...I know record sales went up after n hip hop became more popular...but the culture lost a rare gem n all around special human being in pac, biggie to me is the greatest n best all around rapper of all time. 50 beefing w NYC hurt NYC mainly...canIbus n LL was pointless n dumb. The whole basis of the beef was stupid n stemmed from LL being a diva. Rap losing pac was like grunge losing Kurt cobain
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    G-Unit(50) Versus Murder Inc(Ja)
    S2J wrote: »
    Nggas pickin 50 vs NY are in fairytale land.

There was no star except Ja that was stifled due to 50. That very well, probably, was gon be the end of NY's run anyway.

Yall rainmaking. In other words, you sayin its gon rain, then when it rain, you think it's because you said it was gon rain lol No. Its a coincidence

NY was gon be over anyway. The south was comin and couldnt be contained, thats what was gon happen. And as Jada put it: "cant tell where he from, jamaican queens, cali, or down south." 50 switched up his style and ate. The beef aint ? nobody's career in NY but Ja

The end of NY, quiet as kept, REALLY had nothin to do w/ 50.

Interscope/Universal fuckery was shelving ? like Jadakiss left and right so they wouldn't disturb G-Unit sales.
  • robblr86
    robblr86 Members Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 Cent Versus NYC
    Karl. wrote: »
    I think hip-hop prospered after the death of Big and Pac.

I kinda agree. Once they died, it allowed Jay and other artists to fill in that void.
  • MiamiNights
    MiamiNights Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Auto-tune/Lean/Pills/Social Media v/s Hiphop,back in the days all rappers needed was some weed,a little liquor in the studio and we was getting classic ? on the radio,now.....
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    50 Cent Versus NYC
    I'd say the Drake/Meek "beef" created far more terrible effects to hip-hop than any beef not named "50 vs. NY"

Honestly, that ? gave mediocre-ass rappers a platform, invited corporations to piggy-back on ? they knew nothing about, and gave a generation of new fans a real ? intro into mainstream battle raps.
  • biggiejayveli
    biggiejayveli Members Posts: 1
    Options
    The 2pac and biggie beef didn't mess up hip hop but messed up PAC/biggie career in the game cuz big was on the top of the world the king of NY fosho an PAC was a big star and he was gonna and still is the king of hip hop/rap
  • AdamRend0n
    AdamRend0n Members Posts: 1
    Options
    50 Cent Versus NYC
    Absolutely 50 vs NY. If Ny could have stuck together like the other areas of the country NY would have had some MAJOR collars during these artists peaks. We getting them now 10 years after they best work been put out and the south and west been working together the whole time.
  • disqus_rbWzsNM0UX
    disqus_rbWzsNM0UX Members Posts: 1
    Options
    I'd say big vs pac. . .

And Jeezy vs gucci.

People died. . .
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Two people died.
  • Forgiveness2015
    Forgiveness2015 Members Posts: 1
    Options
    Pac and Biggie beef set urban culture back 20 years. East Coast and West Coast hip hop is just now becoming unified. It took Puffy 20 years to do a show in LA and get mad love. Nipsey Hussle can do a show in New York, with an audience full of crips from New York. If Pac and Big wouldve did a album or mixtape together 20 years ago, where would we be?
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas Versus Jay Z
    Nah after that nas and jay "beef" dudes in the mainstream were scared to name names until 50 came along.

Before that "beef" if you had a problem with a dude personally or just him as a rapper you said his name.

After the "beef" came the age of subliminals where cats have a problem but wont risk saying a name because they dont want to take the risk jay took, even jay wont take that risk again.

This whole feminine ? that its acceptable for you not to respond to a man dissing you is a byproduct of that "beef"
  • Listencloser
    Listencloser Members Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    G-Unit(50) Versus Murder Inc(Ja)
    blacktux wrote: »
    Nah after that nas and jay "beef" dudes in the mainstream were scared to name names until 50 came along.

Before that "beef" if you had a problem with a dude personally or just him as a rapper you said his name.

After the "beef" came the age of subliminals where cats have a problem but wont risk saying a name because they dont want to take the risk jay took, even jay wont take that risk again.

This whole feminine ? that its acceptable for you not to respond to a man dissing you is a byproduct of that "beef"

So basically you saying Nas not only ethered Jay Z, but ethered the whole concept of rap beefs all together?
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LL Versus Canibus
    i say canibus/ll

only because Canninbus damn near got a stgma as a wack rapper, when he was anything but.....infact he wascrazy hot before the LL beef, but LL shut all that down, and people treated one of the most lyrical dudes of 99/2000 like he was garbage simply because LL was in his feelings
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pac and biggie cuz they dead we lost 2 goats over ? ?