Nat Turner Biopic ‘The Birth Of A Nation’ (Friday 7 October 2016)

Options

Comments

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lookn shakyyy
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Make sure yall go see this in theaters
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Enjoyed it a lot
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Plus it was also tryn to be a religious movie as well. Seeing a preacher chop up babies woulda been a tough pill to swallow.
    That was the other part about the movie. This proves to me that Black Christianity is for suckers brainwashed with that ? from birth. Straight up.

The same Bible-toting muhfuckers out here literally swear by the same book that promotes free will and equality, yet encouraged slaves to be obedient to their masters. That's a ? paradox if ever I heard one.

Yea the movie kinda proved that anyone can use the bible or religion to support their own agenda good or evil.

I did not even know Nat Turner was a preacher before seeing this film.

Luckily it wasnt too pushy on the religion part. I hate that ? .
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Projected to get about 9.5 million for the weekend
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Dope movie I just seen it.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Queen of Katwe look boring as hell.

I would rather watch Madea Halloween

...NAW.. IT WAS A GOOD MOVIE
  • MARIO_DRO
    Options
    ...JUST SAW IT, WISH IT WAS MORE GOREY WHEN THEYWAS KILLING WHITES

BUT THE MOVIE WAS GREAT
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh at black women caping for a ? who would never do the same for you

http://www.lipstickalley.com/showthread.php/1092121-Birth-of-a-Nation-Flops
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I enjoyed it and it was a great film.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Apperently in the OG version at Sundance there was a scene similar to the end of Star Wars where he sees CGI "ghosts versions" of his ancestors that was cut from theatrical version.

Sounds cheesy glad that got cut.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options

"The Birth of a Nation" is projected for roughly a $10 million box office weekend, according to industry analysts. Fox Searchlight is estimating a more conservative $7 million opening weekend.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only about 7 ppl at the 10pm showingi went too smfh....we gotta get out n support
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Today it was @ 7.6... now its at 9.5... all those who didn't see it, yet plan to, do so tommorow. We aiming for double digits the first week.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got confused at times with the pacing of the timeline. Couldn't help noticing that they had no problem showing dead black women and children, but never did the same for whites. The rebellion felt short changed. They mention later how many people they killed, but they failed to deliver that message during the actual scenes. I'm nitpicking, though.

A good drama and appeared to do right by the true story. It's a slave movie I don't mind.
  • MARIO_DRO
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    I got confused at times with the pacing of the timeline. Couldn't help noticing that they had no problem showing dead black women and children, but never did the same for whites. The rebellion felt short changed. They mention later how many people they killed, but they failed to deliver that message during the actual scenes. I'm nitpicking, though.

A good drama and appeared to do right by the true story. It's a slave movie I don't mind.

....SAME THANG I SAID TO MY WIFE... THEY ALLLLWAYS SHOW HOW BAD BLACKS GOT BEAT, BUT WANNA GO EASY ON THE WHITES
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ....it is distributed by FOX. Yall really expected to see all out assaults on white ppl on a full fledged scale?
  • Lord Ether
    Lord Ether Members Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I saw the film. It was pretty good for the budget he had. I thought there should have more scenes of violence against White people. If you read the story the one by Thomas Grey. They went to a couple of plantations. I don't want to spoil it, but it seems like every Black resistance or movement is destroyed the same way.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »

"The Birth of a Nation" is projected for roughly a $10 million box office weekend, according to industry analysts. Fox Searchlight is estimating a more conservative $7 million opening weekend.

It's expected. They alienated their main audience of white people and docile black people by creating a slave movie where white people actually take real Ls. Not to mention the religious plot.

And then you have black people like myself who refuse to support any slave movies no matter who or what it is. To us a slave is a slave is a slave.
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great movie.

The theater was half empty when I went yesterday.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • I Self Lord & Master
    I Self Lord & Master Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw it earlier today at 11am...it was 6 ppl in there in total, but for 11am i guess that aint too bad

It was obviously inspired by goodbye uncle tom through two particular scenes, which was dope

I do agree that they shortchanged what the rebellion undertook, but that cutting room a ?

Left theather happy lol...first n probably last for a slave movie
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ....it is distributed by FOX. Yall really expected to see all out assaults on white ppl on a full fledged scale?

Yeah, they nerfed the gravity of that rebellion quite a bit.

They did a good job getting the point across of how slave owners were killing all blacks to get to Nat. Nat only killed the movies different antagonist, which is cool, but they did way more than that historically.

Also, they kind of jolted to the ? battle. They didn't transition that well. A quick little montage of them running up on more plantations, cue some audio effects of people screaming, and some make shift corpses with red dye on them here and there. 5-10 seconds at least. Boom, point made.

But like I said, I'm nitpicking.