Nat Turner Biopic ‘The Birth Of A Nation’ (Friday 7 October 2016)

Options

Comments

• hoodsavior
    hoodsavior Members Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was the only one in my theater.. Maybe woulda been different had I went to Richmond but maybe that was good for me.. I had emotions to deal with.. Especially when "blood on the leaves" played..
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hoodsavior wrote: »
    I was the only one in my theater.. Maybe woulda been different had I went to Richmond but maybe that was good for me.. I had emotions to deal with.. Especially when "blood on the leaves" played..

That image was intense.

There was a white guy in the theater i was in that started ballin during that scene
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope movie...i actually need to see it again and i want my son to see it at some point too
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ima see it again this week.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    Dope movie...i actually need to see it again and i want my son to see it at some point too

Type of ? that needs to be showed to the entire school from middle school and up
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Plus it was also tryn to be a religious movie as well. Seeing a preacher chop up babies woulda been a tough pill to swallow.
    That was the other part about the movie. This proves to me that Black Christianity is for suckers brainwashed with that ? from birth. Straight up.

The same Bible-toting muhfuckers out here literally swear by the same book that promotes free will and equality, yet encouraged slaves to be obedient to their masters. That's a ? paradox if ever I heard one.

Not really.... because the same bible that kept ppl docile... the same bible was what Nat use to inspire the rebellion.
    Nat said it best in the movie, during the 1st meeting.
    For every verse that whts use to justify slavery, there's another one that justifies freedom...

Also that house ? talking that love ? . Reminds me of a lotta modern day negroes.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The house ? tripped me out. Dude was literally taking all the bass out his voice when in the house, but had a whole different tone when around the ? . I legit didn't know that's where that ? came from. He reminded me of all these rnb ? singing these days. Also, that black man not Baptisting a white man ? was new to me as well. I knew it didn't happen, but I didn't know it went that deep.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Roger G Smith as the house slave had me laughin.

Couldnt help but think of samuel in django too
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very good movie well wrote and acted. I should've knew that young boy wasn't ? when he said you that Turner ? and he said no I'm Nat. The he gave his punk ass that stare b4 he got executed like I kno wha you did.

Also that scene where the slave master hammered the guys teeth out fawwwwwwwk
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    I got confused at times with the pacing of the timeline. Couldn't help noticing that they had no problem showing dead black women and children, but never did the same for whites. The rebellion felt short changed. They mention later how many people they killed, but they failed to deliver that message during the actual scenes. I'm nitpicking, though.

A good drama and appeared to do right by the true story. It's a slave movie I don't mind.
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »
    I got confused at times with the pacing of the timeline. Couldn't help noticing that they had no problem showing dead black women and children, but never did the same for whites. The rebellion felt short changed. They mention later how many people they killed, but they failed to deliver that message during the actual scenes. I'm nitpicking, though.

A good drama and appeared to do right by the true story. It's a slave movie I don't mind.

....SAME THANG I SAID TO MY WIFE... THEY ALLLLWAYS SHOW HOW BAD BLACKS GOT BEAT, BUT WANNA GO EASY ON THE WHITES

It showed how bad we were done to provide context when we finally stood up

Showing a bunch of whites get murdered when they didn't even show a lot of us killed would hurt the movie imo

This wasn't about an eye for an eye, it's about ? having enough and sacrificing for what's right

Nobody went easy on Whites, we won no war on that day and they all died for standing up but they stood

Showing a bunch of whites get slaughtered would imply a win that simply didn't happen and garner sympathy for people who likely deserved none
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

MARIO_DRO wrote: »

....SAME THANG I SAID TO MY WIFE... THEY ALLLLWAYS SHOW HOW BAD BLACKS GOT BEAT, BUT WANNA GO EASY ON THE WHITES

It showed how bad we were done to provide context when we finally stood up

Showing a bunch of whites get murdered when they didn't even show a lot of us killed would hurt the movie imo

This wasn't about an eye for an eye, it's about ? having enough and sacrificing for what's right

Nobody went easy on Whites, we won no war on that day and they all died for standing up but they stood

Showing a bunch of whites get slaughtered would imply a win that simply didn't happen and garner sympathy for people who likely deserved none

Real talk, i think alot of ? was expecting another django unchained
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

word u from richmond ?
  • x the unknown
    x the unknown Members Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Very good movie well wrote and acted. I should've knew that young boy wasn't ? when he said you that Turner ? and he said no I'm Nat. The he gave his punk ass that stare b4 he got executed like I kno wha you did.

Also that scene where the slave master hammered the guys teeth out fawwwwwwwk

that was crazy aye
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man, ya'll make me wanna go see it this evening
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Projected to get about 9.5 million for the weekend

Failed to meet the 9.5

Only took in 7
  • hoodsavior
    hoodsavior Members Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

word u from richmond ?

I used to live in colonial heights but moved closer to the Carolina boarder for a job so I went to Henderson instead cause the rain was crazy and that theater was closer
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea i went to see it Saturday and it was like 20 ppl in that ? ...i was like dam...good movie.. black folks dind't support this ? plain and simple
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My brother just called me and told me he ain't never had a film that touched him the way this filmed in his heart. Nate Parker big ups to that brotha.
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got one just class tomorrow@10:30 so I'm seeing this tonight at 10, can't wait...
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just finished watching. I liked it a lot but it left much to be desired.. namely, more bloodshed and graphic executions lol.. I felt they kind of glossed over the actual revolt.

Also I don't understand why Nat surrendered on his own when he could have offed a few more whites and actually died fighting

I love how they played up the mulatto house ? as the likely snitch but it was a little boy who did instead. Had to be someone

I give the film 2 thimbs up :+1::+1:
  • thegreatunknown
    Options
    There's 8 total people here...all black
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    what type of numbers do y'all think that madea ? flick will do?
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    what type of numbers do y'all think that madea ? flick will do?

Madea goes to Jail made 41mil opening weekend

Madea Christmas made 16mil opening weekend

Imma guess 25mil
  • thegreatunknown
    Options
    Just finished. Good movie. The "strange fruit" part was powerful. The everyday hopelessness was pervasive throughout the film..amazing how we survived...