The Official World Politics Thread - All Breaking News here.

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    BedStuy wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    It really wouldn't have and if you fail to understand why you need to educate yourself more on this subject.
    It probably wouldn't have. Again, raw numbers don't matter. Hillary beat Trump with the popular vote. So just adding 1 million or even 4 million onto her total wouldn't have necessarily made a difference. You have to look at the points for each state. Trump had such a big gap in some areas that you could have basically given all of Johnson's points to Hillary and she still would have lost the state. And that's assuming that all of Johnson's supporters would have voted for Clinton, which is likely untrue.

Alrighty then :/ I was reading that a lot of gary supporters was Bernie supporters

I was a Bernie supporter and voted for Dr. Stein. I'm in NYC though. Had I lived in a swing state Clinton would've gotten my reluctant vote.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I was one of the Hollywood celebs with all that money to move I would be some where in Manitoba right now knee deep in wild game meat.
  • Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We'll live yall calm down.

A Trump presidency will have lasting effects especially if he appoints more than one Supreme Court Justice and he institutes measures such ss stop and frisk as he suggested.

I suspect Trump is mostly talk and the people around him will be de-facto president, but honestly Pence, Giuliani, and even Mitch McConnell if they can get on one page scare me more than Trump.

Trump is mostly talk, charisma, and witty insults those other guys have the smarts and knowledge of government to get potentially crippling legislation passed.

We've lived through other janky presidents we'll live through Trump too.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It really wouldn't have and if you fail to understand why you need to educate yourself more on this subject.
    It probably wouldn't have. Again, raw numbers don't matter. Hillary beat Trump with the popular vote. So just adding 1 million or even 4 million onto her total wouldn't have necessarily made a difference. You have to look at the points for each state. Trump had such a big gap in some areas that you could have basically given all of Johnson's points to Hillary and she still would have lost the state. And that's assuming that all of Johnson's supporters would have voted for Clinton, which is likely untrue.

Alrighty then :/ I was reading that a lot of gary supporters was Bernie supporters

That might be true, but a lot of Bernie supporters refused to support Hillary. That's why they were voting for Johnson. If there was no Johnson, they may have picked someone else or abstained from voting. Keep in mind, Hillary isn't the only one that lost votes like that. A lot of Republicans were turned off by Trump and voted third party or abstained as well. The point is that these hypotheticals people are coming up with are pointless. Hillary lost because she wasn't a good candidate. It's her fault not the voters'/nonvoters' faults.
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man those section 8 and people who get food stamps might catch hell if trump try to end that ?
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    4 million wasted votes on gary johnson. 4 million yo :smirk:

Stop!

I'm sure his collective numbers within all the swing states (which is what mattered) were not that high.

Also the electoral college was fixing to get Trump in regardless. So it wouldn't have made a difference if Hillary got even a million of those votes. According to the popular vote she was our president elect. The popular vote ain't what counts though an archaic and pointless system (electoral college) is.
    Lol at the election being fixed for Donald Trump. Yeah ok...
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ? old people. I know he won the 50+ unanimously without googling anything

not sure how accurate but....

[img]https://scontent-iad3-1.? .fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14955804_10211295492047623_3286021889168923546_n.jpg?oh=969bc6a94e75ac04004a8de7ba65f5de&oe=58C4883C[/img]
    54% of 18-29 year olds voted Hillary compared to Trump's 37%

This is the old ? generation's last stand. These next 4 years are gonna be Hell, but we'll survive in the long run.

• Broddie
    Options
    Hillary's arrogance cost her. Nobody told her not to set foot in WI for example during this campaign trail. In the end that mentality cost her crucial votes. On the other hand Trump was any and everywhere like a virus trying to connect to citizens. Is it a wonder his approach had less alienating result? He got it in.
  • Broddie
    Options
    rapmusic wrote: »
    4 million wasted votes on gary johnson. 4 million yo :smirk:

Stop!

I'm sure his collective numbers within all the swing states (which is what mattered) were not that high.

Also the electoral college was fixing to get Trump in regardless. So it wouldn't have made a difference if Hillary got even a million of those votes. According to the popular vote she was our president elect. The popular vote ain't what counts though an archaic and pointless system (electoral college) is.
    Lol at the election being fixed for Donald Trump. Yeah ok...

Way to not understand what I meant. The electoral college already had overwhelming amount of votes in Trump's favor. Those votes were gonna get him in no matter what. He already had them.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    What ya think that toupee gonna end up lookin like in 4 years
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Du got knocked, Trump won, if anyone needs me I'll be spending the rest of the week in the PPM watching a heavy Steph Kegels drop. I don't care anymore SMMFH SMMFH SMMFH SMMFH SMMFH SMMFH SMMFH SMMFH

*googles

Better be good, ?
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    While the reaction of the markets to Donald Trump's surprise election win caused some alarm, this morning some industries have rallied around the news.

With stock futures plunging last night, commentators were drawing comparisons to sell-offs last seen amid the financial crisis of 2008.

But this morning, U.S. markets were relatively stabilized, trading in positive territory around midday.

Sectors that stand to benefit under a Donald Trump administration have led the way.

Shares of pharmaceutical, private prison, steel and defense companies were flying high on Trump’s first day as president-elect, around midday.

Steel

In a research note for investors shared with ABC News, which was partly entitled "Rising Borders, Rising Walls," analysts at investment bank Jefferies said that the U.S. steel industry "should stand out as a unique beneficiary of a Trump presidency."

Noting that the "key to the Trump campaign has been a focus on protectionist trade policy," the analysts noted steel shortages in the U.S. and said that declining imports would improve domestic steel prices.

Analysts added that Trump’s pledge to boost infrastructure spending "may significantly boost demand for long steel products."

Around midday on Wednesday, stock in U.S. Steel Corporation was trading up around 17 percent. Another steel firm, Commercial Metals Company, was up by a similar percentage.

Private Prisons

Another sector that is trading in the green today are private prison firms.

In August, the Justice Department, under the Obama Administration, announced a plan to draw back and eventually cease the use of private prisons to house federal inmates.

In the wake of that decision, shares in Geo Corporation and Corrections Corporation of America took big hits.

However, on the campaign trail, president-elect Trump has promised tough action on illegal immigration and a crackdown on undocumented migrants living inside the United States.

Around midday on Wednesday, stock in private prison firm Geo Group was up more than 20 percent. Corrections Corporation of America’s shares were up a whopping 48 percent.

Defense

Defense stocks were also seeing a boost.

Throughout the campaign, Trump has promised to "rebuild our military," and he said in September that "as soon as I take office, I will ask Congress to fully eliminate the defense sequester and will submit a new budget."

Investors in defense contractor companies like Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrup Grumman, Raytheon and General Dynamics appeared to be bullish on a Trump presidency.

Raytheon was up around 8.8 percent around midday, while Lockheed Martin was up around 6.5 percent.

Pharmaceuticals

Finally, pharmaceuticals are "unwinding the expectation of a Clinton win," said Rob Haworth, Senior Investment Strategist at U.S. Bank in Seattle told ABC News.

Haworth said that Clinton’s pledges to regulate drug prices had been factored into the share prices of pharmaceutical companies by investors expecting a Clinton win.

Trump’s upset victory is starting to reverse those assumptions.

Stock in Pfizer was up more than eight percent percent around midday. Another pharmaceutical company, Gilead, was up more than six percent.

The Associated Press news agency contributed to this report

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/stocks-sectors-embattled-obama-rally-trump-election-upset/story?id=43418106
  • Lord Ether
    Lord Ether Members Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean u see they way trump sonned her in debates.....

• Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Crude_ wrote: »
    We'll live yall calm down.

A Trump presidency will have lasting effects especially if he appoints more than one Supreme Court Justice and he institutes measures such ss stop and frisk as he suggested.

I suspect Trump is mostly talk and the people around him will be de-facto president, but honestly Pence, Giuliani, and even Mitch McConnell if they can get on one page scare me more than Trump.

Trump is mostly talk, charisma, and witty insults those other guys have the smarts and knowledge of government to get potentially crippling legislation passed.

We've lived through other janky presidents we'll live through Trump too.

yall ? me off with this ? logic because so many people have not
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trump going to be all kinds of degenerate Frank Underwood ? in the White House
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »

Black people going crazy with this end of the world BS.

Ridiculous.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    black people black people black people..... i told you that being dependent on the government is a bad idea IN THE VIDEO TRUMP says he plans to reduce the federal workforce which means black people are ? because a significant portion of the so called black middle class hold government jobs.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So after digging for some information......

The United States Electoral College is the body that elects the President and Vice President of the United States every four years. Citizens of the United States do not directly elect the president or the vice president; instead they choose "electors", who usually pledge to vote for particular candidates

So our voices are not considered votes. Only votes of Senators and representatives are considered. This is the official cosign that out votes don't matter. We really have to start at representatives and senators.
  • zzombie
    Options
    Honestly trumps first 100 days do not sound that bad
  • zzombie
    Options
    and ending common core is definitely a good thing
  • pimped_out_red
    pimped_out_red Members Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel for the latin community, they walking around without knowing whats going to happen, its scary man

You ever hated being american? Feeling guilt, shame, and anger...american stands for stupid unnecessary hate...theres a power struggle happening, a cold war, i just wish ppl would put themselves in other ppl shoes, you kno half my construction dept voted for trump and was proud of it today...smh

Worst thing is a dude, a community, a entire ppl walking around with nuthing to lose. Thats where this country is headed

ALL RACES WILL FEEL THIS