The Official Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 3 thread - Now Showing -"Thor:RAGNAROK"

Options

Comments

• iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dormammu is gonna have a body right? It won't be a Galactus thing...

He usually creates a face and body to communicate or battle with Strange/Avengers but like the movie his form is incredible. It's especially incredible in his realm but, if he's ever used after Thanos he'll definitely have a smaller form. Benedict actually did the face and voice for Dormammu as Marvel doesn't have an actor for him yet. Safe to assume for now there's no non Doctor Strange related plans.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So we'll get the flaming head at some point
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marvel's Kevin Feige Explains Personal Stakes For Doctor Strange & Vision In Avengers Infinity War

When the Infinity Stones were first introduced to the Marvel cinematic universe, they were simply powerful artifacts, like the Tesseract and the Aether. Since then the stones have started showing up in more peculiar places, including on or as a part of the heroes themselves.

Marve Studios president Kevin Feige recently spoke to SlashFilm about this progression, and how it will result in a much more personal story arc for characters like Doctor Strange and The Vision. Strange currently carries the time stone in his Eye of Agamotto, while the Mind Stone currently resides (and powers) the Vision.

"It’s getting more specific, isn’t it? Yeah. I mean, I think that’s there are a couple of reasons for that. One is as you’re introducing the fourth and fifth versions of these MacGuffins that we’ve been playing with for a long time, you wanna do something different with them and not just have them be an object passed around. So the notion that something is inherent in the literal body of one of your lead heroes is interesting. And the idea that the Eye of Agamotto’s a great relic over the course of Doctor Strange comics anyway. That seemed like it had fun potential to say, you know why it can do a lot of those things? Because it’s this other thing. As we then get into future movies, it also becomes certainly ripe with potential for conflict and drama that it’s not something buried in a cave it’s something he has to go get, but rather something in a beloved hero’s head."

Doctor Strange introduced the possibility of alternate dimensions as well, which will be important in the coming films when dealing with the Infinity Stones and their long reach, especially if someone where to get ahold of the Infinity Gauntlet.

"Yeah, I mean, I think it clearly is setting up certain things. In the immediate future, being the movies, we’ve announced… I think those with knowledge of the comics may expect things that will not be happening in the movies. Those who don’t know what has happened in the comics will be shocked at what we do. But yeah, once that Gauntlet is on, as the poster of Doctor Strange says, “the impossibilities are endless.” How do you fight that? How can you defeat that? So we play into all of that. We play into all that stuff. I don’t know that we’ll get into Earth 1 thru 616 in any one moment anytime soon."

When Will Doctor Strange Become MCU Sorcerer Supreme?, Russo Brothers Share Avengers: Infinity War Location Scouting Photo, Marvel Cinematic Universe Infinity Stones: What They Do And Where They Are, 4 Ways Doctor Strange Connects To Avengers Infinity War, Jeremy Renner Teases Exciting Stuff For Hawkeye In Avengers: Infinity War

Doctor Strange is in theaters now, and next up for Marvel is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on May 5, 2017. Spider-Man: Homecoming lands on July 7, 2017, followed by Thor: Ragnarok on November 3, 2017. After that Black Panther debuts on February 16, 2018, while Avengers: Infinity War hits theaters on May 4, 2018. Ant-Man and the Wasp is slated for July 6, 2018, followed by Captain Marvel on March 8, 2019.

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/10/marvels-kevin-feige-explains-personal-stakes-for-doctor-strange-/
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Marvel's Movie Plans For 2020 Are Major Avengers Infinity War Spoilers

Marvel Studios successfully introduced the world of magic into the Marvel cinematic universe, and now all eyes stand pointed at the upcoming Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers Infinity War. Even with those projects looking on the horizon, it's hard not to look past those and into what lies even further ahead.

The good news on that front is that Marvel Studios seems to have a long-term plan in place for their universe, as Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige told the Toronto Sun in a recent interview. The bad news is that, well, he can't tell you about any of them yet, because it would spoil their current phase.

“Where we go after Avengers; what those 2020 films are, we’re pretty sure what those are going to be... but if I tell you that, we’re getting into spoilers,” Feige says.

That leads one to believe that some characters from those upcoming projects have either not been announced yet or have already appeared and just haven't reached their narrative spinoff point. For example, Carol Danvers is expected to show up in Avengers: Infinity War, setting the stage for her big debut in Captain Marvel in 2019.

Maybe that means Adam Warlock will finally show up in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, or that maybe Jennifer Walters will get introduced at some point down the line and open the door for a solo Hulk film. Of course, the big hope continues to be a homecoming for the X-Men, and who knows, maybe that will happen.

Those are pipe dreams of course, but actress Brie Larson, who will be playing Captain Marvel, did have some thoughts to share on her solo debut.

“I think what Captain Marvel represents, and what this film is shaping up to be, has a message that’s undeniably important to the world right now,” Larson says.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 hits theaters on May 5, 2017, followed by Spider-Man: Homecoming on July 7, 2017. Thor: Ragnarok hits on November 3, 2017, followed by Black Panther on February 16, 2018. Avengers Infinity War lands on May 4, 2018, followed by Ant-Man and the Wasp on July 6, 2018. Captain Marvel is set to debut on March 8, 2019.

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/09/marvels-movie-plans-for-2020-are-major-avengers-infinity-war-spo/
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ay somebody @ me with the response so I don't see a spoiler or something but is this better than BVS or suicide squad? And is it as good as or better than antman?
  • soul rattler
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Ay somebody @ me with the response so I don't see a spoiler or something but is this better than BVS or suicide squad? And is it as good as or better than antman?

@Beta

Better than Ant Man and Suicide Squad. Not as good as the ultimate edition of BvS.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    With all of this multiverse talk in Doctor Strange and Fox rebooting X Men, I'm surprised no one is connecting the dots.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Beta

Better than Ant Man and Suicide Squad. Not as good as the ultimate edition of BvS.

Ahhh okay thanks
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    With all of this multiverse talk in Doctor Strange and Fox rebooting X Men, I'm surprised no one is connecting the dots.

I've been feeling fox and marvel have struck up a deal in secret for awhile now. We will see what happens though. They need to reboot xmen eventually
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options

@ Beta

Kys
  • $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tumblr_ofbprdYm4A1r9dm6no1_500.gif

...That would be a dope name for one of these lil' ? boy rappers...Lil' Groot...
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's possible..don't think they'd announce/confirm anything until logan is out tho
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just saw it in 3D. Straight flames. Visually incredible. That villain was hands down one of the best theyve done from Marvel. Dude was killin with no remorse and tearin ? up. Two thumbs up
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw it in 3D visuals were dope I'd put it at the top half of the MCU as terms as quality. I like how they got right to the point. No need to see Strange as a kid or what his parents are like. I ? with the lack of origin.

I thought there could've been more magic but I understand Strange isn't the sorcerer supreme yet but I'm sure they'll get there.

With the way they did Dormammu it was almost pointless to include him. They did better with him than Galactus and Parallax though. But I appreciate it because there's more to be done with the character. I always thought studios should do that more. Instead of killing them off just have them lose and bring them back.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saw it in 3D visuals were dope I'd put it at the top half of the MCU as terms as quality. I like how they got right to the point. No need to see Strange as a kid or what his parents are like. I ? with the lack of origin.

I thought there could've been more magic but I understand Strange isn't the sorcerer supreme yet but I'm sure they'll get there.

With the way they did Dormammu it was almost pointless to include him. They did better with him than Galactus and Parallax though. But I appreciate it because there's more to be done with the character. I always thought studios should do that more. Instead of killing them off just have them lose and bring them back.

lol You do know this is an origin story right? Not all origins start when the character was a child. Most of them start around the time they get their powers or when some pivotal thing happens that molds them into the character they will become. For characters like Batman and Spiderman, that was when they were young. For characters like Ironman and Dr. Strange, not so much.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Options
    Maybe I should've reworded it so I won't have anybody correcting me.

I remember Marvel saying they weren't going the traditional route with Strange. I know it's an origin but it was straight to the point. Short and sweet. Arrogant doctor ? up his hands. Perfect. They could've dragged that out if they wanted to.

A lot that stuff is unnecessary idc who it is. We all know Peter we all know Bruce and Superman. Point is they all follow the same formula. I'm pretty sure we can agree with that.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Marvel Announces Inhumans Series On ABC

Marvel Television has officially announced an Inhumans TV series is coming to ABC.

The new series will premiere in IMAX commercial theaters, marking the first time a live-action TV series has debuted in such a format. The first two episodes of the ABC series, which is set to arrive in fall of 2017 under the title Marvel's The Inhumans, will run worldwide exclusively in IMAX for two weeks for the beginning of September 2017. ABC will the premiere the series in a weekly format.

An Inhumans movie was originally slated for November of 2018 but has been the topic of discussion since being pushed back, then off of Marvel's release schedule. The characters, however, have been introduced throughout Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.

ABC, IMAX, and Marvel Television will work together to create a joint marketing and promotion plan for the series -- making it the closest thing to an Inhumans movie, considering the IMAX release format, we will see.

“This unprecedented alliance represents a bold, innovative approach to launching great TV content for a worldwide audience,” said Ben Sherwood, co-chairman, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney|ABC Television Group. “It highlights Disney|ABC’s unrelenting commitment to finding new and creative ways to showcasing our very best programming and increasing global engagement and reach.”

“This first-of-its-kind multi-platform production, distribution and marketing agreement brings together Marvel Television’s unique brand of entertainment, ABC’s unparalleled audience and IMAX’s brand and global fanboy demographic,” said IMAX CEO, Rich Gelfond. “It also takes our decades-long relationship with The Walt Disney Company to a whole new level, jointly breaking new ground in the industry. We are confident our exhibition partners will be excited to work with us on this innovative launch of a series across the IMAX network.”

The Inhumans made their debut in Marvel Comics in Fantastic Four #45, published in December of 1945. Several of the character have become well known fan-favorites, such as Black Bolt, who has even garnered the attention and desires of Vin Diesel to play the part. The character were created by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee as a race of superhumans with diverse and singularly unique powers.

The series will introduce the Inhuman Royal Family to the Marvel Cinematic Universe according Marvel Senior Communications Manager, Joe Taraborelli. "Are you ready to see the Inhuman Royal Family on TV?" Taborelli said. "You better get ready!"

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/15/marvel-announces-inhumans-series-on-abc/
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    This isnt official news, just a article from Comicbook.com that can maybe spark some convo.

5 Essential Thanos Stories

No villain looms larger over the Marvel Universe at this moment than the Mad Titan himself, Thanos. Ever since he first appeared at the end of The Avengers, his presence has sent shockwaves through the Marvel films with notable appearances in Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers: Age of Ultron. There is no doubt that he will be the featured antagonist of the third Avengers movie and ? of Phase Three. That a few whispers or a smirk from this character can be cause for so much concern shows just how potent he is.

The same can be seen in comics today. After his death at the end of Secret Wars, he returned in the pages of The Ultimates and Civil War II. He is the cause of so much strife in Marvel Comics at this moment and appears ready to claim more power and cause more harm after his recent escape from custody. Now he is receiving a new series this week created by writer Jeff Lemire and artist Mike Deodato. It has already been said this series is setting up “something massive” in Marvel Comics.

So before the third Avengers film hits theaters or his full machinations in comics are revealed, it’s time to catch up on who Thanos is and why he’s one of the greatest Marvel villains of all time. This list of 5 essential stories will provide you with a great place to start.

thanos-1-header-210861.jpg

The Infinity Gauntlet

If you can only make time to read one Thanos story, then it absolutely must be this one. This is the definitive mini-series that showcases the character at his best and worst. It features him winning everything he ever dreamed of and then losing it all by no fault but his own. The fireworks of that arc alone are reason to check it out. You get to read about all of the most popular heroes in Marvel Comics and all of the most powerful entities in their universe in a showdown that is nothing short of incredible.

Yet the best part of The Infinity Gauntlet is the character study of Thanos himself. After years of plotting and stories featuring Marvel’s greatest cosmic characters, Thanos finally achieves ultimate power over all creation. The choices he makes with that power and the characters he surrounds himself and connects with reveal who he really is. And while nothing ever truly ends in superhero stories, the ending Thanos is provided here is one that will never be topped for its poetic grace and beauty.

thanos-infinity-gauntlet-211164.jpg

Mar-Vell Vs. Thanos

Thanos’ creator Jim Starlin was hard at work building a mythos for the character before The Infinity Gauntlet was ever pitched to Marvel editors. So much of the essential Thanos can still be found in his earliest stories though. Beginning in Iron Man #55 and continuing in Captain Marvel #25-33, Starlin and his collaborators put all of the key elements together that would make Thanos a long-lasting villain.

Everything including his family, his motives, his obsession with death, and his costume can be found in the pages of these issues. What is most exciting about them though is Thanos’ first great rivalry with Captain Marvel. Their placement in Marvel’s cosmic pantheon is forever secure and these early encounters not only sow seeds for what is to come, but make for some spectacular tales of their own. This is Starlin, Thanos, and Captain Marvel all at their absolute best.

thanos-iron-man-55-211165.jpg

• Lou Cypher
    Options
    Annihilation

It is difficult to improve upon either of the Annihilation series when discussing Marvel’s cosmic events. While the first Annihilation event featured Annihilus as the primary antagonist, Thanos played a key role in the event and was in top form for the entire thing. The goal of Annihilus was to wipe out all life in positive space and conquer it for his own hordes in the Negative Zone. Thanos’ obsession with death led him to be Annihilus’ right hand man, pursuing his own plots while performing the role of servant.

Needless to say, things don’t work out exactly as Thanos plans. However, his plotting and interactions with the brutal Annihilation Wave show exactly how nasty he can be. Annihilation also provided catharsis to decades of storylines in Thanos’ own mythos as he is allowed to confront both Drax the Destroyer and Galactus in key moments in the series. Annihilation is a must read anyway, but will also please Thanos fans and clarify why the character is essential to cosmic Marvel.

thanos-annihilation-211166.jpg

The Death of Captain Marvel

For as bad as Thanos can be, this is the story that reveals how the character views himself to be noble and some of his (very few) noble qualities. Captain Marvel was Thanos’ first great rival and in this classic Marvel story, he is faced with a terminal diagnosis of cancer from an earlier battle. Throughout the story he says goodbye to many heroes, allies, and friends. But at the end of it all, it is Thanos who greets him.

Thanos is gracious and introduces Captain Marvel to his lover Death. As Captain Marvel dies, they are no longer enemies, but fellow wanderers looking into the great unknown together. It is a poignant moment that transcends the superpowered battles of comics to look at how even the greatest of enemies can find common ground when facing something as powerful as death.

thanos-death-of-captain-marvel-211167.jpg

Ultimates

Here is a great recent example of why Thanos will never cease to be a threat in the Marvel Universe. While he isn’t present in the first volume of the series, it’s worth reading the entire thing to understand just how much damage he does in the second half. This team of explorers, scientists, and reality-punchers seem capable of solving anything until Thanos enters their midst.

The chaos he creates and forces he unleashes in Ultimates are tremendous. Unlike most villains, he is not even fully contained by the story’s end either. Nowhere has it been more clear that Thanos is a cosmic force, capable of acting far above his level and damaging things that ought never to be damaged. Both in anticipation of the new Thanos series and Ultimates 2, this one is worth picking up as soon as possible.

thanos-ultimates-211168.jpg

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/14/essential-thanos-stories-doctor-strange/5
  • Lou Cypher
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Why the Marvel and Fox Movie Crossover Deal is Coming

Marvel Studios and Fox have long been viewed as uncooperative rivals, due to their inability to come together and share their respective characters in the Avengers and X-Men movie universes. Recent comments from Marvel executives made it seem like the possibility of X-Men in the MCU was still far off; however, today we learned that not only can Fox and Marvel Studios share - they recently have!

Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 2 has Kurt Russell playing Ego the Living Planet, a cosmic entity that Marvel had to swap with Fox in order to use. The trade was made so that Fox's Deadpool writers could change the character of Negasonic Teenage Warhead into something more fitting for Deadpool; and with the two studios having shared successfully in this fashion, we have to wonder: Is a full Fox/Marvel partnership on the way?

It's Starting on TV

When Comicbook.com headed to NYCC this year, we took note of comments by Marvel Studios TV head Jeph Loeb (Agents of SHIELD) at the panel for FX's upcoming X-Men TV series, Legion. During that panel, it was pointed out that with Loeb working with on Legion, it represents a bridge of sorts between the Fox and Marvel camps. So, could that bridge extend all the way to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and X-Men movies?

Here's what Loeb said at the time: “X-Men characters live in the Fox world, and we live in a different world. The fact that I’m sitting here is an indication of bridges that are being made, and people like Lauren [Shuler Donner] who are facilitating that and making that happen.”

If Legion turns out to be a successful show, there could be value seen in having Fox and Marvel adopt a more collaborative spirit. So, if you want to see this union happen, TV is the first place to lend your support.

Spider-Man Could Help

spider-man-vulture-196438.jpg

Marvel Studios already built one big bridge by getting Sony to lend its Spider-Man properties to the MCU. After the new MCU Spider-Man made a big debut in Captain America: Civil War, his solo film debut, Spider-Man: Homecoming, is one of the most anticipated superhero movies of 2017.

If Spider-Man: Homecoming is a big success, it would make a clear case for why third-party studios should entrust in Marvel Studios to take their characters down the right road. And once Sony (inevitably) starts to get its own Spider-Man spinoffs into development, Fox would be hard-pressed not to see renewed potential in its massive library of X-Men characters.

The Time is Coming

x-men-marvel-cinematic-universe-crossover-211286.jpg

The rumors that Fox will reboot the X-Men movie franchise have gone on for a long time - but as of late, they've seemed more credible.

The franchise's biggest names are all arguably ready to move on; are moving on; or already have. That list includes no less than Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Jennifer Lawrence, Halle Berry and Michael Fassbender. With the biggest names possibly leaving, The X-Men's biggest characters will need new actors to potray them, and new versions of the characters and mythos to offer viewers.

X-Men: Apocalypse wasn't loved nearly enough for Fox to feel obligated (or even enthusiastic) about keeping up the current continuity - or straightening out the many X-Men movie continuity errors that exist. This is prime opportunity to reboot the franchise with full ties to the Marvel Cinematic Universe: investing money in continued sequels or a reboot that's still disconnected from the MCU would be bad business, in the minds of many, many fans. With Avengers: Infinity War offering opportunity for the MCU to undergoe a massive reality reboot, it seems like 2018 or 2019 could be a perfect window to combine The Avengers and X-Men and Spider-Man - and everyone in between - into one finally completed Marvel Movie Universe.

So… Is the Fox / Marvel partnership coming? As always, it seems inevitable, if not imminent. Stay tuned to Comicbook.com's Marvel Home Page for the latest!

x-men-dark-phoenix-saga-movie-211288.jpeg

http://comicbook.com/2016/11/14/marvel-studios-fox-mcu-x-men-crossover-deal/
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Options
    I got a question. Idk nothing about this but

The living tribunal is supposed to stop the infinity gems from being used in unison, right?

How does Thanos use the gauntlet if there's supposed to be this all powerful being watching for when they get used.

Is the Living Tribunal shook of Thanos too?
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    I got a question. Idk nothing about this but

The living tribunal is supposed to stop the infinity gems from being used in unison, right?

How does Thanos use the gauntlet if there's supposed to be this all powerful being watching for when they get used.

Is the Living Tribunal shook of Thanos too?

Yeah he stops them from being used in unison, but thats after the heroes win and then Adam warlock assigns certain people to a gem and thanos ends up getting one. After all that goes wrong he goes back on trial to the living tribunal and the decision is made that they can no longer be used in unison.

Tribunal isn't shook of thanos, he is just unable to get involved until things get really bad. Someone else can probably give a much better explanation haha.
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Doctor strange was dope but at the end I thought I was watching the ending to ff2 with the big bad. 9.5/10