What motivates you? Could your surroundings be stopping you? Are you your best you?

Options

Comments

• NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I also think we need to stop saying "live for today because tomorrow is not promised"

are things that bad that we have to live like this....

maybe you should stop what your doing that makes this statement a reality.

maybe you should stop living where this statement is a reality.

i you are in a place where you are surrounded by people who barely make it to 30, you need to do everything you can to relocate to where people live until 80 unless you gave up on life already. then the question goes to why are you still here then...

The bolded is perspective and will.

This goes two ways as far as (re)moving from an unhealthy environment goes.

1.) It's been proven that the wellness of all things even down to a cellular level are the result of its environment. So if the cell (person, dog, insect, etc.) is in a healthy environment, the cell (thing) thrives. If the cell's in an unhealthy environment, it's short lived and is greatly hindered from living in its full potential. The environment determines the wellness of the cell.

It's been proven that our cell membranes receive signals from our consciousness and writes the DNA code. Consciousness/the mind can reprogram the cell.

2.) It's also been proven that consciousness/the mind creates, maintains and changes the environment of the cell. Environments are created, maintained and changed.

If my body is in an unhealthy state, I can make a conscious decision to change the environment of the cells of my body by eating right and exercise (action). This healthier environment I willfully created, allows my cells, organs, nerves, bones and body to function properly and allows the cell to live up to it's maximum potential, and thrive in a state of health and wellness. When the cells are healthy, the body is healthy. When the body is healthy, everything within the body is healthy, everything is interacting, and working in unison with itself.

So yes, I can work to move and put myself in a healthier environment that already exists, for peace, stability, and to thrive.

But I also have the option to take ownership, stay, create, maintain and change the environment and make it healthier for peace, stability, and to thrive as individuals and as a community.
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, things have to change as far as role models in our community

I blame partly the media (for enforcing black stereotypes) about how they never shine light on those who aren't rich entertainers or sport figures

But, who have just as much money or even more than those entertainers and actually have some serious power

That and also the lack of consistency of providing valuable guidance to the youth and steering them in the right direction to live a positive, wealthy and high quality life

for example, you will hear about the black youth talk about how they want to be like these new ? on the block, 21 savage, BlacYoungsta (who I personally feel like he's just another flashy, loud ? , that won't have long lasting wealth)

or want to be like Future, or Drake

Before you hear about them trying to be like a Bob Johnson, Daymond John or a Robert F.Smith

Especially the latter

Guarantee you this and let's expand on age for a sec

If you ask the average black person, aged 15-35, you ever hear of Robert F.Smith?

They'll be like "Who"?

But, they can name Lebron, Diddy, 50, Floyd Mayweather or Jay-Z in a minute

Robert F. Smith is a black billionaire investor, who can be seen as the black Warren Buffet, and has a net worth of $3 billion, right behind Oprah (and probably will surpass her)

Or about the richest black man in the world currently

Aliko Dangote, worth 11.4 billion, coming straight from the motherland, which is Africa

We need to reconfigure the role models in the black community, and have more variety of people to look up to, who have high value in society, not just based on materialism
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Quotes from people I look up to

"You got to want it, you got to want it as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"- Eric "E.T." Thomas
    (Motivational Speaker)

"I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'- Muhammad Ali (Greatest Heavyweight Champion of All Time)

"You don't learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over." Richard Branson, CEO of ? Empire (Net Worth:$5 Billion)

"Five days a week, I read my goals before I go to sleep and when I wake up. There are 10 goals around health, family and business with expiration dates, and I update them every six months.”- Daymond John, CEO and Founder of FUBU (Net Worth:$250 million)

"Of the billionaires I have known, money just brings out the basic traits in them. If they were jerks before they had money, they are simply jerks with a billion dollars"- Warren Buffet, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, One of the Greatest Investors of All Time (Net Worth:$71.5 Billion)

"Success is not a part time thing,

it’s not a full time thing,

it’s an all the time thing. "- Patrick Bet David, CEO of PHP Agency, financial agency, net worth ($10 million)

"Everything in Life is A Sale and Everything You Want Is A Commission"- Grant Cardone, CEO of Cardone Enterprises, Real Estate mogul, (Net worth:$100 million)

"You have to have a desire to be great"-Robert F.Smith (Net Worth:$3 Billion)

• NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

I blame partly the media (for enforcing black stereotypes) about how they never shine light on those who aren't rich entertainers or sport figures

But, who have just as much money or even more than those entertainers and actually have some serious power

That and also the lack of consistency of providing valuable guidance to the youth and steering them in the right direction to live a positive, wealthy and high quality life

for example, you will hear about the black youth talk about how they want to be like these new ? on the block, 21 savage, BlacYoungsta (who I personally feel like he's just another flashy, loud ? , that won't have long lasting wealth)

Before you hear about them trying to be like a Bob Johnson, Daymond John or a Robert F.Smith

Especially the latter

If you ask the average black person, aged 15-35, you ever hear of Robert F.Smith?

They'll be like "Who"?

Robert F. Smith is a black billionaire investor, who can be seen as the black Warren Buffet, and has a net worth of $3 billion, right behind Oprah (and probably will surpass her)

Aliko Dangote, worth 11.4 billion, coming straight from the motherland, which is Africa

We need to reconfigure the role models in the black community, and have more variety of people to look up to, who have high value in society, not just based on materialism

I never heard of Robert Smith either but this and the bolded goes back to what I was saying earlier. We don't know any of these people or their accomplishments because at some point, the VAST MAJORITY of he time, they remove themselves from the Black community physically and mentally. They remove themselves.

Out of sight out of mind. If the community didn't grow up with these people and see these people daily, how can they be a roll model of the community?

Another reason why us in the Black community do admire brothers like 50, Diddy, Jay and the streets is we can relate to them. We see people who came up who still walk, talk, dress and look like us. It says to us that "I can be myself and win!" and that's important. Can we say that about Robert Smith, Bob Johnson or Oprah? When we see them, it tells us that I can't be myself if I want to reach that level of financial stability. It doesn't matter how much money you have if the streets or the community can't relate to you. Our role models are people we can relate to. We can identify with our role models in some way.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not motivated really...just scared of failure
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also I want to see people who doubted me 's face when I pull up in a foreign with foreign right beside me
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    Options

Especially the latter

They'll be like "Who"?

I never heard of Robert Smith either but this and the bolded goes back to what I was saying earlier. We don't know any of these people or their accomplishments because at some point, the VAST MAJORITY of he time, they remove themselves from the Black community physically and mentally. They remove themselves.

Out of sight out of mind. If the community didn't grow up with these people and see these people daily, how can they be a roll model of the community?

Another reason why us in the Black community do admire brothers like 50, Diddy, Jay and the streets is we can relate to them. We see people who came up who still walk, talk, dress and look like us. It says to us that "I can be myself and win!" and that's important. Can we say that about Robert Smith, Bob Johnson or Oprah? When we see them, it tells us that I can't be myself if I want to reach that level of financial stability. It doesn't matter how much money you have if the streets or the community can't relate to you. Our role models are people we can relate to. We can identify with our role models in some way.

That ? Robert F. Smith, just donated $20 million to the new African American Museum

He spoke at the Color of Wealth Summit last year and spoke on how other blacks can make it

2nd highest donation compared to Oprah, which hers was at $21 million

Bruh, Oprah has built schools in Africa for underprivileged kids

Daymond John, is representing the black entrepreneurs every time Shark Tank comes on

And walk, talk and dress like us?

Man, GTFOWTHBS

? , Jay straight up said "I don't rock jersey's, I'm 30+, give me a fresh pair of jeans and some button ups"

50, Jay and Puffy, all rock the suit game when they need to

For real, ? act like you have to forget where you came from when you make bank

You playing the game at a higher level of than most people

You have to adjust

• NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

Especially the latter

They'll be like "Who"?

That ? Robert F. Smith, just donated $20 million to the new African American Museum

He spoke at the Color of Wealth Summit last year and spoke on how other blacks can make it

Daymond John, is representing the black entrepreneurs every time Shark Tank comes on

Man, GTFOWTHBS

? , Jay straight up said "I don't rock jersey's, I'm 30+, give me a fresh pair of jeans and some button ups"

You have to adjust

That's dope. But I still never heard of some of them.

How can they be a role model for me or my community if I've never heard of them?

The next question is why. Why haven't I heard of these people, and if I have, why are they not role models to me?

The simple answer. I've never heard of them because they're rarely around their own community. And the ones I have heard of I can't identify with, I don't relate to them. Our role models have traits we can identify with.

Entertainers are communicators so a lot of people can relate to the rappers and entertainers you mentioned but you can't respect or look up to someone you've never heard of.

The vast majority of our "role models" remove themselves from our communities.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^^
    interesting....I'll add to this in a bit
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    I think the bigger question is why do they remove themselves... it's not always the same reasons but should be looked at.
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options
    Sion wrote: »

Especially the latter

They'll be like "Who"?

Man, GTFOWTHBS

You have to adjust

How can they be a role model for me or my community if I've never heard of them?

The next question is why. Why haven't I heard of these people, and if I have, why are they not role models to me?

The simple answer. I've never heard of them because they're rarely around their own community. And the ones I have heard of I can't identify with, I don't relate to them. Our role models have traits we can identify with.

Entertainers are communicators so a lot of people can relate to the rappers and entertainers you mentioned but you can't respect or look up to someone you've never heard of.

You have to open up your range of interests beyond entertainment. People out here really think Jay-Z and Oprah are the richest black people of all time SMMFH when it's multi-billionaires in Africa who are in many types of industry conquering ? and promoting black business and entrepreneurship in all these countries.

Are these billionaires regularly in the community?

Do they regularly associate with the community?

If not, how can they be a role model to me or my community?

Why would I "open up my range of interests" to people who show no interest in me or my community on a regular basis?

How would I open up my range of interests to someone or something I've never even heard of?

If I've never heard of them, never or rarely see them around, or know and respect the people they associate with, or if I can't relate to them, they can't be my role model.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    My kinda thread

I never had a leader (mentor) before but just because I never had one doesn't mean that I can't be one. For almost the past two years, I grew an inner fire of determination in my soul. I say there's two things that you have to do to reach your dream. Do the things that you need to do & do the things that you is scared to do. As you go through life then you'll probably have to draw space from those who are content, complacent & not like minded as yourself. You'll never find yourself until you are by yourself. I never thought that I'll bounce back financially from 2010. I'll never thought I'll translate fitness a hobby & have a toned physique. I'll never thought that I'll be on the back end & almost done with school. All through self motivation.

I'll be back in this thread tomorrow evening. I gotta get rested & catch this flight tomorrow morning

i say this to people alot.

some people need others around....because they may not like who they are.
    its more common than you think.

i think this is something we need to work on in our community.

think about this...
    can you really be in the house alone, not be on your phone and entertain yourself all day or all weekend.

learning just who you are is a very scary thing and it takes inner strength to want to correct who you are. and you are doing it for you....an not an outside influence who will make you feel special because of who they think you are.

the only person you should be special for is you....you are important enough for you. i you can self analyze and be honest you will seewe are all imperfect and we would be more reluctant to expose others....because we see just how "exposed" we truly are

I got the meaning from that sometimes you have to separate yourself from the pact to find your goals & true desires for yourself. Speaking from experience, the best thing that I've done was distant myself from a complacent environment. Like I told my brother one day, a ? will make an excuse for everything that they need to do but when ? calls, they will try to ride to the other side of town on E
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Especially the latter

They'll be like "Who"?

Man, GTFOWTHBS

You have to adjust

You have to open up your range of interests beyond entertainment. People out here really think Jay-Z and Oprah are the richest black people of all time SMMFH when it's multi-billionaires in Africa who are in many types of industry conquering ? and promoting black business and entrepreneurship in all these countries.

Why would I "open up my range of interests" to people who show no interest in me or my community on a regular basis?

How would I open up my range of interests to someone or something I've never even heard of?

If I've never heard of them, never or rarely see them around, or know and respect the people they associate with, or if I can't relate to them, they can't be my role model.

the responbility falls onto you not them. if you want success you have to seek it.

during your seeking process... you will find out these things. bill gates is not in the community an people know who he is.

carlos slim doesn't have to be in the barrios for Mexicans to know who he is. we must get better with supporting our own.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    My kinda thread

I never had a leader (mentor) before but just because I never had one doesn't mean that I can't be one. For almost the past two years, I grew an inner fire of determination in my soul. I say there's two things that you have to do to reach your dream. Do the things that you need to do & do the things that you is scared to do. As you go through life then you'll probably have to draw space from those who are content, complacent & not like minded as yourself. You'll never find yourself until you are by yourself. I never thought that I'll bounce back financially from 2010. I'll never thought I'll translate fitness a hobby & have a toned physique. I'll never thought that I'll be on the back end & almost done with school. All through self motivation.

I'll be back in this thread tomorrow evening. I gotta get rested & catch this flight tomorrow morning

i say this to people alot.

some people need others around....because they may not like who they are.
    its more common than you think.

i think this is something we need to work on in our community.

think about this...
    can you really be in the house alone, not be on your phone and entertain yourself all day or all weekend.

learning just who you are is a very scary thing and it takes inner strength to want to correct who you are. and you are doing it for you....an not an outside influence who will make you feel special because of who they think you are.

the only person you should be special for is you....you are important enough for you. i you can self analyze and be honest you will seewe are all imperfect and we would be more reluctant to expose others....because we see just how "exposed" we truly are

I got the meaning from that sometimes you have to separate yourself from the pact to find your goals & true desires for yourself. Speaking from experience, the best thing that I've done was distant myself from a complacent environment. Like I told my brother one day, a ? will make an excuse for everything that they need to do but when ? calls, they will try to ride to the other side of town on E

this is the same things I say but people call it condescending.

fact is....people will make what they want important and skip alot because it's not making them happy or helping their image.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Especially the latter

They'll be like "Who"?

Man, GTFOWTHBS

You have to adjust

the responbility falls onto you not them. if you want success you have to seek it.

during your seeking process... you will find out these things. bill gates is not in the community an people know who he is.

carlos slim doesn't have to be in the barrios for Mexicans to know who he is. we must get better with supporting our own.

As a kid, I'm not seeing black investors

I can't go search out something I don't know exists

At this point, being an adult, yeahs it's on me but life done started by now I'm behind the curve, my idols are my idols at this point(not speaking specifically but in general)

Yeah that's cool Oprah built schools in Africa and dude donated to the museum but that don't effect me. Chicago is right there, what you doing for them? Flint is right there, what you doing for them? St. Louis, Baltimore, etc...How the kids in these neighborhoods supposed to connect to you ?

50 a ? in his hood but he ain't the only one to make it out of Queens, where they at? It's not even just about money, they ain't touching people. It's cool that they donate money or may come speak every once in a while but if it ain't connecting, who's that on?

If a tv show has amazing writing but the numbers ain't good enough, is the writing really that amazing ?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    imma answer this soon as I get to the crib
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    oooh
    I'm bout to go in
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

Especially the latter

They'll be like "Who"?

Man, GTFOWTHBS

You have to adjust

How would the responsibility fall on me to seek out people, ideas, or things I've never heard of?

You say we must get better with supporting our own but at the same time tell me the responsibility falls on me. I don't understand.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

Especially the latter

They'll be like "Who"?

Man, GTFOWTHBS

You have to adjust

How would the responsibility fall on me to seek out people, ideas, or things I've never heard of?

You say we must get better with supporting our own but at the same time tell me the responsibility falls on me. I don't understand.

everything you want starts with you.

never hearing of something doesnt mean you wont come across it while just looking to better yourself.

being motivated for something will steer you to ? you may have never gave a chance because you are motivated towards a goal.

when you begin your journey you will find people who have your same ideas or goals or something....

so i will use the 50 example.....yes, he made it out and comes back to help...but why is it on his shoulders to do more than what he does.

can anyone tell me that they have made it and got frustrated trying to help people.....

saying other didnt help.....we dont know that. everyones help aint out in the open.
    saying it dont effect you when someone donates money somewhere else....thats a defeatist attitude. rather than looking at the negative and trashing his donation, why not look at it like he made it and thank ? he thought enough to give back. if it doesnt touch you diretly it should at least give you hope that someone might just help you out at any given point.

Not sure if yall are religious....but i you are.....we are all given blessings. if you are not prepared to except it..it will be taken away from you. who wants to help someone who has a what abut me mindframe.

if you walk into a class saying...fukk this class.. how much will you really take from the class.

you have to be open and open minded.

we can go back and forth all day...but just know this...i have been were you are...you have not been where i am at. i see what it takes....

i see alot of potential in my people. and there is no reason you cant and shouldnt be better unless you dont want to.

think of a chick that finally got a good man, but she wants to keep pushing him until he snaps and leaves her as...then she has a reason to say it wouldnt work out anyway.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »

Especially the latter

They'll be like "Who"?

Man, GTFOWTHBS

You have to adjust

D know who he is. we must get better with supporting our own.

As a kid, I'm not seeing black investors

I can't go search out something I don't know exists

At this point, being an adult, yeahs it's on me but life done started by now I'm behind the curve, my idols are my idols at this point(not speaking specifically but in general)

Yeah that's cool Oprah built schools in Africa and dude donated to the museum but that don't effect me. Chicago is right there, what you doing for them? Flint is right there, what you doing for them? St. Louis, Baltimore, etc...How the kids in these neighborhoods supposed to connect to you ?

50 a ? in his hood but he ain't the only one to make it out of Queens, where they at? It's not even just about money, they ain't touching people. It's cool that they donate money or may come speak every once in a while but if it ain't connecting, who's that on?

If a tv show has amazing writing but the numbers ain't good enough, is the writing really that amazing ?

the writing can be good and the actors bad. it happens.

but as to your point.....the people that raised you are partially responsible. We parents need to present our kids to the world and give them inspiration. even if you live in a bad low income area.....daily encouragement goes far.

also you cant compare africa to chicago....they are real poor in africa not (i know imma catch it or this) lazy poor.

i talk to the refugees in swiss and hear their stories....them ? had real problems..they lived in a country where the govts was not giving a fukk and dropping bombs on ? , ? they family on a daily basis and it was total anarchy. these people sailed across miles of water and they cant swim just to get away. for every person that say its not easy to relocate in america.....think about black africans sailing..no drifting across water to relocate for a better life.
    if you can stand in line on back friday or buy expensive shoes or not really looking like you dirt poor...you have no excuse. because you can afford certain things that arent essentials....so certain money needs to be reallocated. you have the opportunity but choose not to take it to make yuorself better..whos fault is that. thats aint oprahs fault.

as for who connecting....what are we trying to do here....in this very thread. most you know everything someone does in order to say whos qualified as a helper. and sometimes people dont want to risk fukking up they gravy train coming back to their origins knowing the wolves will be out... but somehow its their fault cause they left and didnt come back. yet the people who o come back at meet with alot of other hoops they must go thru...

im not saying i am 50 or on his level... but i would love to take some of yall with me to see what i see an i bet you would change your tone if most of yall dont say ? that.

tag your it
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    Options

Especially the latter

They'll be like "Who"?

Man, GTFOWTHBS

You have to adjust

never hearing of something doesnt mean you wont come across it while just looking to better yourself.

being motivated for something will steer you to ? you may have never gave a chance because you are motivated towards a goal.

when you begin your journey you will find people who have your same ideas or goals or something....

so i will use the 50 example.....yes, he made it out and comes back to help...but why is it on his shoulders to do more than what he does.

can anyone tell me that they have made it and got frustrated trying to help people.....

saying other didnt help.....we dont know that. everyones help aint out in the open.
    saying it dont effect you when someone donates money somewhere else....thats a defeatist attitude. rather than looking at the negative and trashing his donation, why not look at it like he made it and thank ? he thought enough to give back. if it doesnt touch you diretly it should at least give you hope that someone might just help you out at any given point.

Not sure if yall are religious....but i you are.....we are all given blessings. if you are not prepared to except it..it will be taken away from you. who wants to help someone who has a what abut me mindframe.

if you walk into a class saying...fukk this class.. how much will you really take from the class.

we can go back and forth all day...but just know this...i have been were you are...you have not been where i am at. i see what it takes....

i see alot of potential in my people. and there is no reason you cant and shouldnt be better unless you dont want to.

think of a chick that finally got a good man, but she wants to keep pushing him until he snaps and leaves her as...then she has a reason to say it wouldnt work out anyway.

You making a whole lot of assumptions my ? and what does this post have to do with anything that anyone was discussing?

And who got a what about me mind frame?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

for example, you will hear about the black youth
    They'll be like "Who"?[/b]

Man, GTFOWTHBS

You have to adjust

You making a whole lot of assumptions my ? and what does this post have to do with anything that anyone was discussing?

And who got a what about me mind frame?

I'm not making assumptions....

an its not directed to you per se
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't disagree with anything you said. I'm not glued to a side or have an opinion on what someone should do with their money

My only thing is yeah you can call out adults for certain thing but the kids don't connect to Oprah or donating money to a museum. I'm speaking from the youngins perspective when I speak to connecting and not knowing these people exist. Can't put it all on the parents because they can't teach their kids what they don't know, it's a cycle.

I'm not comparing The worst parts of Africa to Chicago. I'm not of the opinion one is worst than the other, it's different struggles. But this is home and as a kid, seeing someone help clean someone else's house when mine is ? up does nothing for me.

Again I'm in the earliest stages of setting out to create my own and my viewpoint could change with my situation but from this one I feel like the onus is on some of the more successful to make a bigger effort to not just throw money but show face more in these places or at least make your presence felt to where even if they we don't see, we know
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    R.D. wrote: »
    I don't disagree with anything you said. I'm not glued to a side or have an opinion on what someone should do with their money

My only thing is yeah you can call out adults for certain thing but the kids don't connect to Oprah or donating money to a museum. I'm speaking from the youngins perspective when I speak to connecting and not knowing these people exist. Can't put it all on the parents because they can't teach their kids what they don't know, it's a cycle.

I'm not comparing The worst parts of Africa to Chicago. I'm not of the opinion one is worst than the other, it's different struggles. But this is home and as a kid, seeing someone help clean someone else's house when mine is ? up does nothing for me.

Again I'm in the earliest stages of setting out to create my own and my viewpoint could change with my situation but from this one I feel like the onus is on some of the more successful to make a bigger effort to not just throw money but show face more in these places or at least make your presence felt to where even if they we don't see, we know

I agree to a certain extent.
    this where things tend to get criss crossed.

so to your point, try to look at it from the other side. if you grew up in a place and finally made something of yourself, most will be trying to maintain it. it does not come without sacrifice to that person's family.Usually you would hear that people spend countless hours away from home. from billionaires to bodegas takes hard work. so imagine this person trying to hold a family together, missing out on their own kids growing up, spouse might be acting up, and trying to keep a business afloat. last thing they may be thinking of is showing up somewhere.

but then you can look at it like I spoke about in another thread, some don't even look at the fact a person comes back to help when they don't have to, they are more worried about the respect the person may be brings. I believe the term was " a ? ? is always a ? ? ". why would that matter if a successful person wants to help others. they don't need to prove they could fight or if they was a nerd..if they their to help, why does it matter? then its about folding to fit your audience. if you are not selling something of a dream , the person on the receiving end needs to be able to take what's given. we are all not the same in teaching or learning. but the fact we are in the same room does means something.

there are so many obstacles you are not taking into consideration that people feel like " I don't need this ? . I'm going to the beach". things like, well you didn't help here. or is that all you gave. everyone is not built to keep fighting to give something free when they don't have to.

so I see your point.. but you would be very surprised at who is not welcomed in places an be very surprised at who is and the reasoning.

so that's why this thread is here....when you are motivated you are more willing to open up and have dialog about getting from a to b.

a teacher should be met with the challenge of helping you understand not the resistance of if they legit to be teaching.
  • jniam
    jniam Members Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Leaving your comfort zone and taking risk.

Long story short, I'm graduating in about 2 weeks. Job process didn't go as well as I thought. Got rejected from a lot of top corporate places I applied to, Deloitte, Accenture, L.E.K, Morgan Stanley etc. Would get to round 1 or 2 and never get a callback or just get flat out denied. Was painful because I really thought I was a good for some of those places.

My previous employer (the one that sent me to South East Asia two summers ago, pics in the travel thread) has a position within Sales/Business Development in Orlando, FL. Salary is 30K plus commission on sales. This is a young company in a growing industry (Commercial drone services) so there's potential for growth. Obviously, the salary is low compared to what I could have gotten in corporate e.g. $60-65K starting salary and the company isn't in a bustling metro area e.g. DC, NYC, Chicago, ATL etc.

I have another opportunity within DC, a small consulting firm with better pay than what my previous employer is offering, but I feel I need to leave the DC/Maryland area (where I and my family has been based for the past 8 years) to experience some growth.

I think 2 years in a smaller area, removed from my comfort of family, friends and familiarity might be better for me.

I can leave what I know and build a foundation (faith, financial goals, fitness goals, etc) of how I want to move forward. It'll be a struggle but I feel in times of isolation and adversity, we build character and truly grow.

I'm 21 and I don't have student loans, my parents bust their tails so I'll graduate debt free. I own my car outright and I don't have hefty credit card bill (shoot, I don't even have a credit card). I feel I can take 2 years of using two years to develop the foundation of what I want moving forward. In college I did alright but looking back I feel I didn't do as much as I could have (GPA, mentorship, involvement, developing my talents etc), partially due to familiarity of my surroundings.

It's similar to Mattew 7:24-27

Do I want to build my house on rock (a strong foundation)
    or do I want to build my house on sand (washed away with the sand)

IC's thoughts...