Raekwon - Ice Cream. WTF Is These N*ggas Talking About?

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But ? love E-40 slang tho

Lol E-40 makes sense tho. He just change the words at the end.

Rae says whole sentences that makes zero sense with no explanation.
    LOL it makes sense my brother, it's just what he is saying a lot of people don't know that particular slang

Yeah, another thing Rae does is this stream of consciousness type rap, where he'll take a topic and just throw a bunch of stuff about that topic out seemingly at random. So if you take a step back and look at the whole verse as a whole with the topic in mind, it makes sense. However, if you go line by line, it doesn't seem coherent. I have to say I hate when he does that ? . Rae is better when he's storytelling. He's on point then.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm ready for 100 flags, nosigns and wacks but here goes;

I remember during the East/West beef Death Row was doing their thing and the East Coast was doing their thing.

At the time me and my friends thought that the West Coast rappers were too simple. I mean the sonic quality was good and they rapped on beat, but lyrically it wasn't advanced. They rapped like Rakim and LL Cool J in 1987.

The cats on the East Coast (Wutang, Nas, Gang Starr, Biggie, DITC, etc.) were using heavy slang and thats what we liked. We liked rappers that used heavy slang and deciphering what they were saying. We felt that the West Coast rappers that get so much praise (Pac, Kurrupt, Too $hort, Ice Cube, Snoop, etc.) were kinda boring. They didn't really use slang, they just used regular words to say whatever they were saying.

I'm ready for a bunch of negative reactions but thats how we felt.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As for the first first bolded line, shell = frame or body and wicked at the time was slang for good or excellent. However, he's making another play on words because wicked also means evil, and Nimrod was a Babylonian king from the Bible and other texts that rebelled against ? . In plain English, he's just saying her body is really sexy. A fresh water scrod is a kinda fish. So applying that to the previous line, he's basically saying that her body lured him in and now he's caught i.e. she has him sprung.

The next line actually a bit harder to decipher if you don't listen to a lot of Wu. Vine = Devine one of the dudes in the management side of the Wu group at the time. I think he's related to Rza or something. C Allah Rule is 5% code or something like that, but it just means car as shown by the bolded letters. He was telling the chick that her style had him turned on like a car. Again that one was difficult if you don't listen to the Wu a lot, but if you do, you'd get it because make weird quasi-acronyms out of words all the time for some reason. Another common one they use is C Cypher Punk. The C is just the letter like the example from this song. A cypher in this case is a circle or the letter O and you take the P from Punk, and you get cop.

As for the last one, Shirley Temple Curls are a hairstyle based on Shirley Temple when she was a young actress and Billie Jean's was a local hair salon.

Bruh this spose to be a song about differnt flavor/types of women and I gotta decipher all this ? ? ....
  • aneed123
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Never really cared to understand most of it, ? was dope tho.

How sway?

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    As for the first first bolded line, shell = frame or body and wicked at the time was slang for good or excellent. However, he's making another play on words because wicked also means evil, and Nimrod was a Babylonian king from the Bible and other texts that rebelled against ? . In plain English, he's just saying her body is really sexy. A fresh water scrod is a kinda fish. So applying that to the previous line, he's basically saying that her body lured him in and now he's caught i.e. she has him sprung.

The next line actually a bit harder to decipher if you don't listen to a lot of Wu. Vine = Devine one of the dudes in the management side of the Wu group at the time. I think he's related to Rza or something. C Allah Rule is 5% code or something like that, but it just means car as shown by the bolded letters. He was telling the chick that her style had him turned on like a car. Again that one was difficult if you don't listen to the Wu a lot, but if you do, you'd get it because make weird quasi-acronyms out of words all the time for some reason. Another common one they use is C Cypher Punk. The C is just the letter like the example from this song. A cypher in this case is a circle or the letter O and you take the P from Punk, and you get cop.

As for the last one, Shirley Temple Curls are a hairstyle based on Shirley Temple when she was a young actress and Billie Jean's was a local hair salon.

Bruh this spose to be a song about differnt flavor/types of women and I gotta decipher all this ? ? ....

LOL it's metaphoric homie
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But ? hate any cry when Lupe goes in

*leaves thread forever*
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options

How sway?

Cause I like the way they rap and their production. I don't need a song to teach me about something to be entertained. Dope beat, dope rhymes is all I need. Yall can have the "its gotta be relatable, have to be talkin about something for it to be dope", ? don't work that way for me.
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Both are the kings of talking mad random ?
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BenjaminE wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »

I remember during the East/West beef Death Row was doing their thing and the East Coast was doing their thing.

At the time me and my friends thought that the West Coast rappers were too simple. I mean the sonic quality was good and they rapped on beat, but lyrically it wasn't advanced. They rapped like Rakim and LL Cool J in 1987.

The cats on the East Coast (Wutang, Nas, Gang Starr, Biggie, DITC, etc.) were using heavy slang and thats what we liked. We liked rappers that used heavy slang and deciphering what they were saying. We felt that the West Coast rappers that get so much praise (Pac, Kurrupt, Too $hort, Ice Cube, Snoop, etc.) were kinda boring. They didn't really use slang, they just used regular words to say whatever they were saying.

Where were your boys when your ? got taken?

Bhwaaaaaahahahaha, this brought pure tears to my eyes.
  • EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Y'all have to revisit that Raekwon wu tang vs shaolin album..That album low key stands next to purple tape as one of his best albums
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Supreme Clientele own the thread
  • aneed123
    Options

How sway?

Cause I like the way they rap and their production. I don't need a song to teach me about something to be entertained. Dope beat, dope rhymes is all I need. Yall can have the "its gotta be relatable, have to be talkin about something for it to be dope", ? don't work that way for me.

Sounds like the same expliantion those make when trapor mumbe rap is bashed by those who say they cant understand it No?
  • Stew
    edited February 2017
    Options

How sway?

Sounds like the same expliantion those make when trapor mumbe rap is bashed by those who say they cant understand it No?

People prove they're hypocrites everyday on this site, u just gotta catch'em in the act, prove it and laugh all the way to the IC bank.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options

It doesn't matter - I castrated them

oh. ok
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It doesn't matter - I castrated them

So you castrated your boys? What did they have to do with it? The plot thickens
  • Stew
    Options
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Reminds me of the create a Raekwon verse thread
  • emaculate
    emaculate Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    "A jungle junkie, vigilante tantrum, a death kiss
    Cat walk squeeze another anthem, hold it for ransom/
    Tranquilize with anaesthesias, my ochersta, graceful music ballerinas"

U-?
    love that verse
    The bold to end of his verse prolly my fav part about his verse

Rap genius got us covered llz
    (https://genius.com/Wu-tang-clan-triumph-lyrics)

This song happens to have one of Rae's more understanble verses I think.

Even if you don't understand haha How can you not ? wit it

While my pen blow lines ferocious

Mediterranean, see y'all, the number one draft pick

Tear down the beat ? , then delegate the ? to see ? 

The swift chancellor, flex the white gold tarantula

Track truck diesel, play the weed ? substantiala

Max mostly, undivided then slide in sickening
Guaranteed made 'em jump like Rod Strickland
  • emaculate
    emaculate Members Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But ? love E-40 slang tho

Lol E-40 makes sense tho. He just change the words at the end.

Rae says whole sentences that makes zero sense with no explanation.
    LOL it makes sense my brother, it's just what he is saying a lot of people don't know that particular slang

Yeah, another thing Rae does is this stream of consciousness type rap, where he'll take a topic and just throw a bunch of stuff about that topic out seemingly at random. So if you take a step back and look at the whole verse as a whole with the topic in mind, it makes sense. However, if you go line by line, it doesn't seem coherent. I have to say I hate when he does that ? . Rae is better when he's storytelling. He's on point then.

The closet type of conscious stream flows I've heard as of recently with that in mind was Willie the Kid on Masterpiece Theater with Alc. That project stays in constant rotation these days.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rae's BET Hiphop Awards cypher was one of the best ones ever spit