Does america have a proble with masculinity?

Options

Comments

• Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    I think we do. America's wants consumers. Most men (at least those I associate with) are practical. The beta, effeminate males appear to be more about shopping, appearance, and being seen. It's cool right now to sell to that crowd.

INTERESTING!
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    A beta is the second in line to be Alpha if the old Alpha either dies or gets beaten or kicked out or injured. Basically a Vice-President.

I always wondered about this. I don't know too much about the Greek alphabet, but wouldn't the better term be "omega"? Even though omega sounds tougher than beta, imo.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's definitely a push to emasculate men.

Even saw a commercial that featured a father teaching his daughter how to shave his legs..............BY SHAVING HIS OWN LEGS with her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwR9ddhRGls

And I thought the commercial with the father doing cheers with his daughter was too far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTIzjVxvV2U

Angel Soft just took it to another level.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »

Even saw a commercial that featured a father teaching his daughter how to shave his legs..............BY SHAVING HIS OWN LEGS with her:

And I thought the commercial with the father doing cheers with his daughter was too far:

Yo. LMAO. I have seen the joint with ? and his daughter many times and I am conflicted. Like I get the point but I have always come away thinking why they go so super chi chi man.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    A beta is the second in line to be Alpha if the old Alpha either dies or gets beaten or kicked out or injured. Basically a Vice-President.

I always wondered about this. I don't know too much about the Greek alphabet, but wouldn't the better term be "omega"? Even though omega sounds tougher than beta, imo.

No. Omega literally means "Big O" but since it is the last letter in the Greek alphabet it usually is used in a way to mean the end. Like saying ? is Alpha (beginning the first letter) and Omega (the end the last letter.)
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

my daughter wont be no cheerleader..
    but i wish a ? would say somethin bout me playin dressup wit her and our lil tea parties. lmmfao

aint nothin wrong wit pops cheerin wit his daughter..

right

there is nothing wrong with those ads

i can remember my dad would crawl into my sheet tent and watch care bears with me sipping "tea"

• manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's definitely a push to make men more feminine but I think that largely is the fault of us men. Hear me out...

It's a lot of ? out here that ain't ? as fathers. That may be a direct result of them having ain't ? dads. All that does is make women the primary role model for boys coming into manhood in single mother homes. A woman can never teach a man to be a man. She'll give him tips on what she considers manhood, which generally tends to either be feminine or way over the top masculine.

With that comes either a Drake type ? or a ? that thinks not crying and being hyper aggressive is what manhood means. All ? aside, my cousins football team had no men outside of my cousin at practice and at the games. What u think these little boys are going to turn into??
  • Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Of course there is a conspiracy against alpha male on the media trying to faggotise everybody. I want to know what male ? thought:

"Damn, them skinny jeans look hot, I think I should wear it"
    "Damn, gotta do my eyebrows now to stay hot"
    "Damn, i betta start twerking so these bishes know what's up"
    "Oh ? , that man purse matches with my uggs"...

and still think he's portraying an alpha male - the definition of a real ? . Nah.
  • desertrain10
    edited March 2017
    Options
    the issue is with our culture's narrow definition of masculinity

and how our boys and men live under this persistent pressure to constantly be proving their manhood and warding off anything considered feminine or emasculating

or they grow up with a sense of entitlement and authority over women’s bodies and agency

my post with be either ignored or buried, but if we are being real (along with a lot of other ? ) its one of the big drivers of violence within our communities
  • Plutarch
    Options

and how our boys and men live under this persistent pressure to constantly be proving their manhood and warding off anything considered feminine or emasculating

or they grow up with a sense of entitlement and authority over women’s bodies and agency

my post with be either ignored or buried, but if we are being real (along with a lot of other ? ) its one of the big drivers of violence within our communities

Isn't this just the long version of saying "toxic masculinity"?

And like others have noted, isn't this idea of toxic masculinity being resisted by a trend, whether insidious or innocuous, that involves men embracing femininity, which is a point to the premise of this thread?
  • Ip man
    Ip man Members Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It also has to do with the lack of a positive male figure at home to teach and lead.
  • desertrain10
    edited March 2017
    Options

Isn't this just the long version of saying "toxic masculinity"?

And like others have noted, isn't this idea of toxic masculinity being resisted by a trend, whether insidious or innocuous, that involves men embracing femininity, which is a point to the premise of this thread?

t/s posed the question does america has a problem with masculinity....

or rather is there an effort being made to demonize or emasculate men?

i don't believe that to be the case.... and I'd argue society still largely caters to white, heterosexual men...

i do believe though that more and more ppl are seeing how our culture's definition of masculinity is limiting and there has been a growing push to expand on what it means to be a man, which i obviously believe is a good thing

and considering gender, unlike sex, is malleable and varies across cultures and generations ...there is a possibility for change ...

if you really think about it, time and technological advances have done more to "emasculate" men than anything else, in the sense that men aren't expected or required to do what prior generations of men were

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I had no intention of getting involved with this thread but I'll add here that the sense of entitlement extends to having a sense of entitlement in general.

Anyone worried about their masculinity or masculinity in general is probably insecure as ? already.
  • Plutarch
    edited March 2017
    Options

i don't believe that to be the case....

I wouldn't know, but I probably don't believe it either.
    and I'd argue society still largely caters to white, heterosexual men

American society? If so, that's pretty vague, but yes, I generally agree.
    i do believe though that more and more ppl are seeing how our culture's definition of masculinity is deeply flawed and there has been a push to expand on what it means to be a man, which i obviously believe is a good thing

We probably, not surprisingly, disagree, here.

I'm not quite sure what "our culture's definition of masculinity" exactly means. I think masculinity in America has meant and continues to mean many different things, and, like with many things, there have been only a few destructive outliers.

I can see you envisioning some meanings of masculinity as toxic whereas I see those same meanings of masculinity as either mostly natural or mostly innocuous, at least in themselves.

If it's of any relevance, I'm sure you've heard the potential counterpoint that the idea of women having an "instrumental" part in (re)defining masculinity is a bit odd, at best, and impractical, at worst. I don't think that counterpoint is entirely without merit, imo.
    considering gender, unlike sex, is malleable and varies across cultures ...there is a possibility for change

I agree, but I wonder at what point does the malleability of gender become infeasible. And whether this change will be be progressive or regressive.

All in all, personally, it doesn't make too much difference to me. Whether men want to dance around in pom poms or run around mean mugging all the time, as long as no laws are violated, I see no problems. The way I see it: Do you, and accept the consequences of doing you; and I'll do me and accept the consequences of doing me.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ip man wrote: »
    Of course there is a conspiracy against alpha male on the media trying to faggotise everybody. I want to know what male ? thought:

"Damn, them skinny jeans look hot, I think I should wear it"
    "Damn, gotta do my eyebrows now to stay hot"
    "Damn, i betta start twerking so these bishes know what's up"
    "Oh ? , that man purse matches with my uggs"...

and still think he's portraying an alpha male - the definition of a real ? . Nah.
    Lmao at "faggotise"
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yes first u had feminism infecting everything and now u have anything masculine being negatively viewed as sexist/masaginist in an attempt to boost up ? and female agenda.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's definitely a push to make men more feminine but I think that largely is the fault of us men. Hear me out...

It's a lot of ? out here that ain't ? as fathers. That may be a direct result of them having ain't ? dads. All that does is make women the primary role model for boys coming into manhood in single mother homes. A woman can never teach a man to be a man. She'll give him tips on what she considers manhood, which generally tends to either be feminine or way over the top masculine.

With that comes either a Drake type ? or a ? that thinks not crying and being hyper aggressive is what manhood means. All ? aside, my cousins football team had no men outside of my cousin at practice and at the games. What u think these little boys are going to turn into??
    my ? I work with teens and early adult males.... an effect of not father s and good male role models around is super emotional youth..... the thugs who shoot you cuz u made them mad ass ? ... acting strictly off emotion cuz they being raised by nothin but women.... Its sad.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes. Too many agendas fighting against masculinity.
  • desertrain10
    edited March 2017
    Options

i don't believe that to be the case....

I wouldn't know, but I probably don't believe it either.
    and I'd argue society still largely caters to white, heterosexual men

American society? If so, that's pretty vague, but yes, I generally agree.

america, yes

vague?

from the ads on tv to politics, white straight men are favored and catered to

do i really need to expound???
    i do believe though that more and more ppl are seeing how our culture's definition of masculinity is deeply flawed and there has been a push to expand on what it means to be a man, which i obviously believe is a good thing

We probably, not surprisingly, disagree, here.

I'm not quite sure what "our culture's definition of masculinity" exactly means. I think masculinity in America has meant and continues to mean many different things, and, like with many things, there have been only a few destructive outliers.

I can see you envisioning some meanings of masculinity as toxic whereas I see those same meanings of masculinity as either mostly natural or mostly innocuous, at least in themselves.

If it's of any relevance, I'm sure you've heard the potential counterpoint that the idea of women having an "instrumental" part in (re)defining masculinity is a bit odd, at best, and impractical, at worst. I don't think that counterpoint is entirely without merit, imo.

based off popular american culture a big
    part of what it means to be a man today is be prideful, to be devoid of all emotions except anger, hyper sexual, hyper aggressive, an authority figure, anti-? , etc

otherwise you are thought as weak, soft, feminine, etc...the worst things a man can be

and as I was saying earlier men grow up feeling entitled when it comes to women

all of which I'd say is problematic... far from being innocuous or purely testosterone driven...especially when you compare violence here in america to other first world countries

its more specific manifestations include: workaholism and violence. men are responsible for most violent crime and mass shootings

though women are likely to develop depression, men are 2x as likely to ? themselves because depression symptoms in men usually go without being diagnosed or treated

i see it with the push to limit reproductive rights for women; in movies when girls are reduced to being objects to be won; or the many instances men become overly aggressive and overreact when a woman doesn't accept their advances

and it's not necessarily about redifining manhood, its about expanding on what it means to be a man

i'd like to think women should be included/ vocal in this discussion considering the stakes and our influence

considering gender, unlike sex, is malleable and varies across cultures ...there is a possibility for change

I agree, but I wonder at what point does the malleability of gender become infeasible. And whether this change will be be progressive or regressive.

infeasible? expound

and change is evitable, regardless

what it means to be human, let alone what it means to be a man or a woman is ever changing thanks in great part to technological advances

all can we can do is adapt in a way that is progressive for society as a whole

All in all, personally, it doesn't make too much difference to me. Whether men want to dance around in pom poms or run around mean mugging all the time, as long as no laws are violated, I see no problems. The way I see it: Do you, and accept the consequences of doing you; and I'll do me and accept the consequences of doing me.

i mean if you are concerned about crime, you should be alil concerned with the conditioning of young boys and girls

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The assimilation of ? culture and ideologies into mainstream society requires the elimination of the macho/masculine heterosexual male. This is what you all are seeing. We spoke on it at length not long after I joined Tha IC:

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/69432/pu-yfication-of-the-man
    slept on post

The real directive for this comes from the homosexual agenda. Push societal acceptance of their ways through the media and fashion. ? is so subliminal sometimes that if you don't know what to look for, you miss it completely. I had a VP let me in on it when I worked for a large marketing firm, how there's this whole push to get the homosexual lifestyle out front and there's ways of marketing to them that are subtle, yet effective.

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

but i wish a ? would say somethin bout me playin dressup wit her and our lil tea parties. lmmfao

This explains the King Kong ? now lol

Beta monster fan
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This explains the King Kong ? now lol

Beta monster fan

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigga please!! hahaha

Godzilla wack cuhz..
    his movies are wack..
    and he dont pull no bad white ? !!
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »

I had no intention of getting involved with this thread but I'll add here that the sense of entitlement extends to having a sense of entitlement in general.

Anyone worried about their masculinity or masculinity in general is probably insecure as ? already.

Word,
    I'll add that any male under the impression that their manhood can be taken is highly SUS imo.