Kwan Dai wrote: »
    bambu wrote: »
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    TDUB1 wrote: »
    Umar is a charlatan.....

A lot of people don't care about his credentials and suggest that it doesn't matter....

However, it does matter, especially if you call yourself a Dr....
    The Root searched every level of Johnson’s education but could find no proof that he holds a doctorate in psychology. But what started off as simple educational research has turned into a mystery.

I do not think that Interracial marriage is a problem in black communities.....

To ? on the work of people in the struggle because their choice of mate is ridiculous.....

And it overshadows any good points that he may otherwise make....

THE ROOT ISNT OWNED BY BLACKS THOUGH SMH CANT TRUST THEM

Doesn't matter who owns the publication....

I have researched myself....

And as an individual in academia, I can tell you that if you put the work in to be called a doctor....

Then you would be happy to show your credentials....

I wish a ? would ask me about my credentials.....

But it only really matters if you call yourself a doctor....

Especially a doctor of psychology.....

What's your degrees are in? No malice at all. Because I'll use you as a reference for later debates depending on your authority that you have in.

Engineering Design, Anthropology & History

Associates, bachelors & masters

I do not have a PhD...

But if and when I get mine.....

Please believe ? will address me as Dr. Bambu....

And there would be no questions regarding credentials....

that aint ? ,.

i aint got it and these words are strictly for hating purposes.

You are right....

And umar's message doesn't require a PhD....

To me its the fact that he claims one but it cannot be verified....

If he's gonna lie about that, then what else is he lying about....????

You can keep asking lame and speculative questions. While Blacks continue to live with the damaging issues he's openly discussing.

We know he's not lying about the state of Black Men and Women.

He's not lying about racism and bias in education.

He's not lying about the effeminization and suppression of the Black warrior spirit in both Black men and Women.

We know he's not lying about failures present in our current political system\process.

Etc
    etc
    etc.

And he is not the only one out here talking about it......

There are countless professional black school psychologists, I work with several.....

That not only talk about these issues, they are working to address them.....

He talks about a black school, but we have them all across America....

I work in one....

Underfunded and in need of black professionals.....

I feel him about wanting to own a private school, but that would only reach a handful of students...

If he were authentic, he would try to reach the masses....

And address the "systematic" issues of racism and oppression....

To each his own.....

But if I wanted to support the education of "black boys"...

I would shop with a real professional like Geoff Canada or somebody that is about action, instead of just talking......

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/harlem-childrens-zones-geoffrey-canada-revolutionizes-education-creating/story?id=11719995

It's been said, over and over that Umar isn't the only Black Man speaking on issues affecting Blacks. And no one is looking to Umar for everything concerning Blacks.

You can do all that without tearing down another Black Man. If, you are doing what you say are then, you should be alot less sensitive, and alot more confident. Umar shouldn't even be on your radar..

Me questioning his character is not tearing him down....

I think he is lying about his educational background....

And I feel like if a person would lie about that, then they would lie about any little thing, I.e. being on the phone when it is off....

Umar is addressing my profession....

Why should I not show interest or as you call it be "sensitive"..????

At the end of the day how many "black boys" has umar helped get to college or break the cycle of poverty????

Bambu= 500+

I'm just saying

Action > Talk

It's a shame with all of the expertise you claim to have you don't think questioning a mans character isn't tearing him down. If, you knew Umar on a personal and\or professional level you wouldn't need to question. You would know firsthand. So, your posts are what I thought, personal, emotional responses, with hint of flexing.

Call it flexing if you want....

However, I work hard at what I do and I am proud of what I do....

No, I dont know umar personally and never brought up his personal information....

Anyone's educational background is, like he said open to the public....

Hell, he invited us (the public) to check...

If I wanted to try to tear him down I would address his own parenting tactics or lack thereof, or the conscious stripper incident, or his own"sensitivity" and use of derogatory terms for black females and for anyone that disagrees with him....

But, I never addressed that personal stuff....

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Some of the most revered black people in history has been questioned and dismissed by other black people at the time when they were putting in work too. This is no different. Inb4 don cumpr Umar 2 non uv dem1!1!1
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    If we were living in the 60's ? would've been like "why should we listen to Malcolm X, he was a criminal he was a ? , he used to date white women, anybody that listens to him is a sheep, he's a fake Muslim"

Spot on!!
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    TDUB1 wrote: »
    Umar is a charlatan.....

A lot of people don't care about his credentials and suggest that it doesn't matter....

However, it does matter, especially if you call yourself a Dr....
    The Root searched every level of Johnson’s education but could find no proof that he holds a doctorate in psychology. But what started off as simple educational research has turned into a mystery.

I do not think that Interracial marriage is a problem in black communities.....

To ? on the work of people in the struggle because their choice of mate is ridiculous.....

And it overshadows any good points that he may otherwise make....

THE ROOT ISNT OWNED BY BLACKS THOUGH SMH CANT TRUST THEM

Doesn't matter who owns the publication....

I have researched myself....

And as an individual in academia, I can tell you that if you put the work in to be called a doctor....

Then you would be happy to show your credentials....

I wish a ? would ask me about my credentials.....

But it only really matters if you call yourself a doctor....

Especially a doctor of psychology.....

What's your degrees are in? No malice at all. Because I'll use you as a reference for later debates depending on your authority that you have in.

Engineering Design, Anthropology & History

Associates, bachelors & masters

I do not have a PhD...

But if and when I get mine.....

Please believe ? will address me as Dr. Bambu....

And there would be no questions regarding credentials....

that aint ? ,.

i aint got it and these words are strictly for hating purposes.

You are right....

And umar's message doesn't require a PhD....

To me its the fact that he claims one but it cannot be verified....

If he's gonna lie about that, then what else is he lying about....????

You can keep asking lame and speculative questions. While Blacks continue to live with the damaging issues he's openly discussing.

We know he's not lying about the state of Black Men and Women.

He's not lying about racism and bias in education.

He's not lying about the effeminization and suppression of the Black warrior spirit in both Black men and Women.

We know he's not lying about failures present in our current political system\process.

Etc
    etc
    etc.

And he is not the only one out here talking about it......

There are countless professional black school psychologists, I work with several.....

That not only talk about these issues, they are working to address them.....

He talks about a black school, but we have them all across America....

I work in one....

Underfunded and in need of black professionals.....

I feel him about wanting to own a private school, but that would only reach a handful of students...

If he were authentic, he would try to reach the masses....

And address the "systematic" issues of racism and oppression....

To each his own.....

But if I wanted to support the education of "black boys"...

I would shop with a real professional like Geoff Canada or somebody that is about action, instead of just talking......

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/harlem-childrens-zones-geoffrey-canada-revolutionizes-education-creating/story?id=11719995

It's been said, over and over that Umar isn't the only Black Man speaking on issues affecting Blacks. And no one is looking to Umar for everything concerning Blacks.

You can do all that without tearing down another Black Man. If, you are doing what you say are then, you should be alot less sensitive, and alot more confident. Umar shouldn't even be on your radar..

Me questioning his character is not tearing him down....

I think he is lying about his educational background....

And I feel like if a person would lie about that, then they would lie about any little thing, I.e. being on the phone when it is off....

Umar is addressing my profession....

Why should I not show interest or as you call it be "sensitive"..????

At the end of the day how many "black boys" has umar helped get to college or break the cycle of poverty????

Bambu= 500+

I'm just saying

Action > Talk

It's a shame with all of the expertise you claim to have you don't think questioning a mans character isn't tearing him down. If, you knew Umar on a personal and\or professional level you wouldn't need to question. You would know firsthand. So, your posts are what I thought, personal, emotional responses, with hint of flexing.

Call it flexing if you want....

However, I work hard at what I do and I am proud of what I do....

No, I dont know umar personally and never brought up his personal information....

Anyone's educational background is, like he said open to the public....

Hell, he invited us (the public) to check...

If I wanted to try to tear him down I would address his own parenting tactics or lack thereof, or the conscious stripper incident, or his own"sensitivity" and use of derogatory terms for black females and for anyone that disagrees with him....

But, I never addressed that personal stuff....

ok...damn it...this has been said before...imma look up this stripper and parenting ?
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Inaccuracies and nonsense is just that. Just because a Black man says them doesnt change that fact. Same with the truth and reality. But been an interesting thread. I like how in depth numerous posters went to expose these types. Made me analyze a little more. I just knew what my common sense told me but the breakdowns have been nice. Lot of holes and flaws and even some I didnt necessarily think of. I dont really fool with these youtube types but I have seen a little. I just peep it for what it is. Im not in their demographic of "marks" you cant just give me any ole thing but its good of the ones who can see the issues to point em out to the uninformed. They are being exposed to a wider more critical thought process even if they dont want to accept it. Kind of hard to stay ignorant when light has been shown. At least a little bit of "look wider" has been introduced so its been a good thread ts.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Koltrain wrote: »
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Why is this thread title worded like that? Roland didn't face off with UJ. Is that some sort of clickbait tactic?

Clickbait tactic? Lol, I'm not getting paid to post threads lol... To me, it's roland vs Umar because Roland set Umar up to be "dismantled" by that ? panel. The focus of the interview wasn't to hear Umar out.. It was solely to challenge his views.
    Saying it was Roland vs Umar is misleading the truth, tho. His debate was with Roland's panelists. Roland only mediated and stepped in when the word "? " got thrown around by UJ.

The title doesn't tell the right story, and makes it seem like a shock tactic.
  • Cabana_Da_Don
    Cabana_Da_Don Members Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just like Umar´s personality.? the rest.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why is this thread title worded like that? Roland didn't face off with UJ. Is that some sort of clickbait tactic?

Clickbait tactic? Lol, I'm not getting paid to post threads lol... To me, it's roland vs Umar because Roland set Umar up to be "dismantled" by that ? panel. The focus of the interview wasn't to hear Umar out.. It was solely to challenge his views.
    Saying it was Roland vs Umar is misleading the truth, tho. His debate was with Roland's panelists. Roland only mediated and stepped in when the word "? " got thrown around by UJ.

Who's show is it?
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options

Who's show is it?

Who was UJ mostly referring to? Whose show it actually is as is irrelevant. He could've did that ? on Bill Maher's show for all it matters.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    credentials matter at times. in this case the only time his credentials matter is when we are talking about him building/starting a school. he needs to be board certified so that the education these young black men receive is recognized when they try to get into college or the workforce.

I don't always agree with what Dr. Umar says. I said early on that sometimes he comes across as sheisty. the way he plays with words and dodges some of the questions doesn't always sit well with me. I will listen to him though because he makes some good points at times and some stuff I agree with him on. Even if I don't agree with him I at least want to hear his reasoning. that's how it's suppose to go.

ask urself whats more important...the message or the messenger?
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    credentials matter at times. in this case the only time his credentials matter is when we are talking about him building/starting a school. he needs to be board certified so that the education these young black men receive is recognized when they try to get into college or the workforce.

I don't always agree with what Dr. Umar says. I said early on that sometimes he comes across as sheisty. the way he plays with words and dodges some of the questions doesn't always sit well with me. I will listen to him though because he makes some good points at times and some stuff I agree with him on. Even if I don't agree with him I at least want to hear his reasoning. that's how it's suppose to go.

From what I've seen from most on this site the answer would be the messenger.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Every thread about Umar Johnson is exactly the same. It's just a bunch of stupid ? arguing about ? they don't know and have no interest learning.

Then there are the pseudo-journalistic posts that are filled with omissions, the videos of opinions from nobodies, etc. about a man who doesn't matter. I wish y'all fought racism this hard.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Who's show is it?

Who was UJ mostly referring to? Whose show it actually is as is irrelevant. He could've did that ? on Bill Maher's show for all it matters.

The first ten minutes was Roland bringing up all points about Umar that are questionable..plus the video is titled that...

Take it how you will, no shock intended tho. If I wanted shock, I would've labelled it with the ic "? " buzzword.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    They'd rather discuss who has the more robust alphabet soup then, the issues Umar has put on the table. Talk about worthless nonsense.

How does it keep missing ya'll that Umar is using those credentials to declare himself an authority to speak on said topics? If he didn't tout himself having a PHD nobody would bring it up...but he does so it's not wrong if somebody asks for proof of said degree and he can't produce to then ask "Well what else is he lying about"?
  • blackrain
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Maybe the ? wouldn't be so tense defending his degree if he could prove he actually had a doctorate...? really try and defend him by just brushing over that ? . The man is trying to start a school and ya'll just want to skip over all evidence that has been found pointing to him lying about his level of education?

@2stepz_ahead Everytime the topic of calling someone out for being wrong you go back to the same retort of "Well who is right all fo the time" or "Why does someone have to be perfect in order for you to listen"...Do you not get that perfection isnt' the goal but being accurate is? You stay giving people passes for talking nonsense solely based on "Well, ain't nobody perfect"...no ? ...but it ain't a bad thing to get corrected when you're wrong. Especially when you're in certain positions it's definitely to your benefit.

because......the message always gets lost

case and point...alof are mentally fukked up on the grand scheme. they have to correct themselves. the have to listen and learn from others. others that will their own ? ...but it not about the ? you can find on them but taking the message they was trying to give without saying you can not tell me because....

one of my mentors was a alcoholic.....that didnt mean he couldnt teach me about business. i learned alot. he spoke about why he drinks like he does. it was none of my business . so that shouldnt stop the message but i could offer advice about alcoholism that i learned from family members.

if you cant allow mistakes from others....you are assuming you are perfect and can teach.
    everything dont need to be called out when the problem is much bigger than the person.

do i really need marriage advice from him? no..thats not im there for. if he has a problem respecting me for who i married....thats on him. im not going to prove to him who i fukk wont stop my work because my work wont stop.

I'm all for allowing people to make mistakes. That's how you learn. What you seem to be against though is calling people out and correcting them for making mistakes. That leads to nowhere but repeating the same mistakes. The message doesn't get lost because someone is imperfect. The message gets lost when that person can't acknowledge or is constantly given a pass for their mistakes and never learning from them. That's what you constantly seem to miss. And no every little thing shouldn't be called out but when someone who not only bills themselves as an educator but also wants to start a school has some funny ? on their own educational resume what sense would it make to just brush over that like its a small thing?

So, stop making the mistake of bringing up lame and trivial points that Umar has addressed year in and year out.

He cant even address where the money he collected went and last time he got called out on it started making memes about the person who asked him...this dude is not all y'all think he is. ? too easily drawn in by a "? the white man" stance. Just as gullible as the church folks you criticize

Care to support your dishonesty by quoting Umar saying "? the white man"?

It's Umar's detractors that believe him to be something more then what he is.

Umar is simply a Black man bringing issues and information to the table that affect Blacks todays and in many cases have affected us in the past as well.

I see him same I see Chuck D, Michael Eric Dyson, Cornell West, Wise Intelligent, and Tariq Nasheed to name a few. I don't have to agree with all of their ideas. But I am fully supporting a Black man that is willing to bring our issues to the forefront.. Yall keep worrying about trivial ? like degrees though, and money which, you have given none of.

You know that was not meant literally...and again Umar is the one touting these credentials. Nobody asked him to, he's doing it on his own. You don't need a college degree to talk about the things he does, but he uses the credentials and respect that comes with said degrees to say that people should take him more seriously when he does speak. Or else he wouldn't be so bent on people calling him "doctor" or claiming he's the world's most requested scholar. Clearly those titles matter to him. Nothing wrong with support, but blind support is always dangerous. ? out here collecting hundreds of thousands yet it's a bad thing to ask where the money is going? That's trivial? To make sure somebody is going to do what they said they will?
  • blackrain
    Options

They can both be equally as important
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If we were living in the 60's ? would've been like "why should we listen to Malcolm X, he was a criminal he was a ? , he used to date white women, anybody that listens to him is a sheep, he's a fake Muslim"

True, but Malcolm himself also revised his stance and message in time. So you can't say people were wrong to criticize him, when in the end he had some of the same criticisms for himself.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is what i was trying to get at.

Ill admit Umar wasnt the best chair to stand on when making this point, but when ? are ready to go at Stevie Wonder for nothing, who is?
  • NoCompetition
    edited July 2017
    Options

Ultimately though this guy has to stand on his own. Not deflecting to Hillary or Bill Maher as you did earlier. They have nothing to do with this. Why even go in that direction? Thats literally not connected. Maybe this is a glimpse into the mentality of those who are subsceptible to this type of thing. Change the subject and go in tangeants and just go, dont worry about connecting dots and making sense. Play the game And most of all...get their money. Emotional manipulations work good for that not reality. And Malcolm's credentials are not Umar Johnson's. People have pointed out various real inaccuracies, vagueness, flaws, and nonsensical positions he has taken. Its not about making up points its just seeing whats there. There is a lot of foolery.
  • 5th Letter
    Options

True, but Malcolm himself also revised his stance and message in time. So you can't say people were wrong to criticize him, when in the end he had some of the same criticisms for himself.

Most of y'all arguments are about his degrees and about money for his school. How does any of that make his points invalid? Just like bringing up Malcolm's past, it's a deflection tactic and a way to discredit. That's my point.
  • 5th Letter
    Options

Ultimately though this guy has to stand on his own. Not deflecting to Hillary or Bill Maher as you did earlier. They have nothing to do with this. Why even go in that direction? Thats literally not connected. Maybe this is a glimpse into the mentality of those who are subsceptible to this type of thing. Change the subject and go in tangeants and just go, dont worry about connecting dots and making sense. Play the game And most of all...get their money. Emotional manipulations work good for that not reality. And Malcolm's credentials are not Umar Johnson's. People have pointed out various real inaccuracies, vagueness, flaws, and nonsensical positions he has taken. Its not about making up points its just seeing whats there. There is a lot of foolery.

The same reason why those people on the panel defelected into his lineage and his degrees and money for his school, they had a issue with him and used those things to deflect and discredit and y'all are in here doing the same. Y'all are hypocrites ? on Umar but give passes to others that y'all like. Either be consistent or shut the ? up.
  • NoCompetition
    Options

The same reason why those people on the panel defelected into his lineage and his degrees and money for his school, they had a issue with him and used those things to deflect and discredit and y'all are in here doing the same. Y'all are hypocrites ? on Umar but give passes to others that y'all like. Either be consistent or shut the ? up.

I aint deflect to nobody. I talked about flaws in the political rhetoric and why these dude's dont properly take into account the realities of living in the actual society we live in. And why their rhetoric is incomplete, immature, and doesnt really make sense. As have others. In depth. But again the info has been presented and thats a good thing. It doesnt help anything to have someone leading people down faulty paths just because they can. Its only right for those who see more to shed light for the ones who dont see. As has been done.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Speaking specifically of Umars situation, this lack of paperwork will always leave a question mark over his head. Theres no running from that. If Umar was a white supremacist, he'd still need to have that ? .

Had dude not came on the scene with that, itd be different. But since he did, he needs to be consistent as well. If for nothing but to keep his enemy from having it as a weapon to use against him.
  • 5th Letter
    Options

I aint deflect to nobody. I talked about flaws in the political rhetoric and why these dude's dont properly take into account the realities of living in the actual society we live in. And why their rhetoric is incomplete, immature, and doesnt really make sense. As have others. In depth. But again the info has been presented and thats a good thing. It doesnt help anything to have someone leading people down faulty paths just because they can. Its only right for those who see more to shed light for the ones who dont see. As has been done.

What part of his "rhetoric is incomplete, immature and doesn't really make sense"?