Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

Dudes taking out loans to pay for high life-styles. ? and Bills.

Why would a 1-4 year player need to take out a loan? You accumulated that many bills on a rookie contract? Some don't even get to their 3rd year, so why rookies or those players in this gap are even trying to have a high life-style for them to take out loans?

And ? that are in the league for 5-8 years, are on their second contract, you haven't save up any emergency funds?

If you're in the league that long, you have accumulated enough paper to be str8, if not shame on you, with all this real-estate and investments in this world.

? can afford to sit out a season FOH. ? have to many excuses to do what's right.

We know a lot of these dudes are stupid with their money. Yes, most of them have made the kind of money that should allow them to sit out for the rest of their lives if need be. But they didn't budget themselves for that and their lifestyles wouldn't support that. And now they are in the position they are in. You know how many of these dudes are damn near broke after they leave sports for a few years.

Again, call it excuse if you want, but when is the last time you gave up your livelihood for a year or more for a cause?

Them being broke and messing up their food has nothing to do with how I eat. Why get a life-style like that and you know you're not good with money. The blue-print is out there for you to eat forever with the type of money you're making as a veteran. Excuses breh.

A person should put up everyday breh, You or I can walk in a job that we are currently on and they can tell you or I "That we are no longer needed". Then what? I done tricked off my money and not being prepared for that day is their fault? Nah breh.

That's why you prepare for that day as such, invest, save, and stop wasting money and time on silly stuff.

Could, should, would...nobody is disputing the fact that these dudes haven't maximized the potential of their wealth. The fact is that most of them haven't, so they aren't in a position to just blow off a season. We can all tell them how they should have managed their money, but they haven't done that and you can't just turn mismanagement around instantly.

It's like if I got a job at a place that's 50 miles away. That might be ok as long as I got a car, but say my car isn't all that good. You can say I shouldn't have gotten a job so far away knowing my car is ? , and that might be true, but pointing that out is not going to help me if my car breaks down.
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Smh

Why would a 1-4 year player need to take out a loan? You accumulated that many bills on a rookie contract? Some don't even get to their 3rd year, so why rookies or those players in this gap are even trying to have a high life-style for them to take out loans?

And ? that are in the league for 5-8 years, are on their second contract, you haven't save up any emergency funds?

If you're in the league that long, you have accumulated enough paper to be str8, if not shame on you, with all this real-estate and investments in this world.

? can afford to sit out a season FOH. ? have to many excuses to do what's right.

We know a lot of these dudes are stupid with their money. Yes, most of them have made the kind of money that should allow them to sit out for the rest of their lives if need be. But they didn't budget themselves for that and their lifestyles wouldn't support that. And now they are in the position they are in. You know how many of these dudes are damn near broke after they leave sports for a few years.

Again, call it excuse if you want, but when is the last time you gave up your livelihood for a year or more for a cause?

Them being broke and messing up their food has nothing to do with how I eat. Why get a life-style like that and you know you're not good with money. The blue-print is out there for you to eat forever with the type of money you're making as a veteran. Excuses breh.

A person should put up everyday breh, You or I can walk in a job that we are currently on and they can tell you or I "That we are no longer needed". Then what? I done tricked off my money and not being prepared for that day is their fault? Nah breh.

That's why you prepare for that day as such, invest, save, and stop wasting money and time on silly stuff.

Could, should, would...nobody is disputing the fact that these dudes haven't maximized the potential of their wealth. The fact is that most of them haven't, so they aren't in a position to just blow off a season. We can all tell them how they should have managed their money, but they haven't done that and you can't just turn mismanagement around instantly.

It's like if I got a job at a place that's 50 miles away. That might be ok as long as I got a car, but say my car isn't all that good. You can say I shouldn't have gotten a job so far away knowing my car is ? , and that might be true, but pointing that out is not going to help me if my car breaks down.

1. Using what you've stated and others that are on this "football players don't manage their money well, that's why they shouldn't boy-cott excuse, You stated in your last post this "You can't turn mismanagement around instantly, they're living paycheck to paycheck".

Let me ask you this, what will be the difference with them boy-cotting today vs them retiring broke after their career is over? Will they be in the same boat, not able to pay bills? Remember they are mis-managing their money and are living paycheck to paycheck. How will they support their family then? Remember they've mis-managed their money and they are living pay-check to pay-check, They retired at 38, so they have to rest of their life to support their family, now what?

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

1. Using what you've stated "You can't turn mismanagement around instantly, they're living paycheck to paycheck, Let me ask you this, what will be the difference with them boy-cotting today vs them retiring broke after their career is over? Will they be in the same boat , not able to pay bills? Remember they are mis-managing their money and are living paycheck to paycheck.

What's the difference between you committing suicide today and dying of old age 40 years from now?

I don't get the point of the question. When these players retire, it's usually because they either got their finances in order to the point that they can retire or they had no choice. Either way, they aren't in the same position in that scenario as they are now when they can still play, but would be making the conscious choice not to play regardless of their finances.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Smh

Well if its somebody on their rookie contract then you answered your own question. They dont have anything saved. Seriously a rookie ain't made no money yet so who going to support them during a lockout? You? Even for a 2nd or 3rd year player...living still cost money. You still have to train. Who paying for that?
    Vets in the league yeah they should have money saved but like the vast majority of people they don't. 95% of people would be ? if they lost their jobs today because of lack of savings. Having more money don't prevent that. Literally every study backs up and confirms a good portion of pro athletes go broke within a handful of years after retirement. Add in the fact that the average NFL career aint but 3-4 years to begin with and you see why you're hard pressed to find people willing to give up an entire year of income.

1. A rookie, is just like a college student, Do they not have parents? Can they not get a job with their degree?, wait, what about the cac institution that they graduated from, they didn't get connects there to help them get a job, I mean they did cheer for buddy, gave hi-five to them kids while they were playing football at the institution, made money off their backs and you mean to tell me, now, for what all they did for that cac institution they can't get them kids a job? Let me ask you this, if the white players, all said that they were not playing in the league, they did their own boycott, how do you think they will manage in life?

2. You making too many excuses breh. Training? really, you need to have a NFL contract to train now? What about the players who are not in the NFL, how do they pay for trainers, better yet, what about the millions of ppl that are not involved in sports, how do they pay for trainers? U see the holes you're leaving in your post breh? Let me ask you this, Do you think the white players that's out of the league, how do they pay for trainers? U think if they boy-cotted for Kap, do you think they would have a hard time finding funds for their training?

3. U making excuses for vets and their spending habits, I couldn't care less, manage your money better is my only take on that. How do you know 95% of ppl would be ? 'd? Where did you get that from, that's just not true breh,
    Are cacs group'd in that 95%?

4. Again with your study data, black players need to better manage their money as I stated, I can't help that most trick off their money and accumulate bills. Do cac players go broke within a handful of years? I mean something is disconnected that cacs don't go broke but we do after playing 11-15 years in the league, So what is it? We at times even make more than the cacs

5, The 3-4 year time frame, I covered that on the rookie contract, why would you lean on a career like that and accumulate bills that you can't afford and have to take out a loan, When ppl that are not playing sports, get jobs that are contractual/not classified/term positions/seasonal, what you think those ppl do and how they manage their money and future?

6. What if all 32 NFL owners came out and said "? all Black players, their ancestors and the ones that are living in this world" Do you think black players should still wanna play, do you think they should be leaning on all these excuses that you are giving them to keep playing, still not boycott? Time to get on code breh.

You're confusing reasons with excuses. Me telling you why something isn't happening or couldn't happen isn't the same as giving an excuse. You said what about their parents? As if most pro athletes are coming from places where their parents can support them as opposed to the athlete becoming the family bread winner once they get in the league. ? most college students are broke too and there on scholarships, grants and loans. So that further goes to the point that majority of people families just ain't got it.

2. Yes that ? cost money just like anything else in life does and if you have no income coming in then guess what? You can't get the level of training you need. Theres a reason dudes out of the league and dont have the proper training struggle to get a shot.
    3. Yes white people are grouped in the number od people who would go broke. Clearly 95% was an intentional overexaggeration however any study you find will show you thr vast majority of people period couldn't afford an immediate emergency that cost $2000 let alone losing your entire income for a year
    4. That study is for all athletes. Its not specific to just black athletes that go broke after retirement. You should actually read about this information before making the assumptions you are because you're just flat wrong
    5. Again already addressed. People who arent athletes typically don't have much savings lined up in case of an emergency.
    6. Your confusing of the terms reason and excuses led you to create a dumb hypothetical which has an extremely slim chance of ever happening. If it ever did the public backlash would be so severe that the league itself would be open to all sorts of lawsuits from players this nullifying the financial aspect that comes with a boycott...
  • Knock_Twice
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Them being broke is an excuse because they shouldn't be.

Just being truthful most these dudes broke while still playing its just that they getting that game check every week so they don't realize it yet.

Most of these dudes couldn't even survive a month of a lockout because they ? their money up that bad. Too many of these dudes is basically living like millionaire welfare recipients.

I said that. Alot of players are living check to check and are broke during the offseason. The same as your average everyday person they don't have enough saved that if something drastic happens they could foot the bill and still be alright. Knowing this I don't get why people are shocked theyre not willingly going without income that isn't even guaranteed. At least in the NBA contracts are guaranteed. NFL contracts can be ended at any time.

Let me ask you this, what will be the difference with them boy-cotting today vs them retiring broke after their career is over? Will they be in the same boat, not able to pay bills? Remember they are mis-managing their money and are living paycheck to paycheck. How will they support their family then? Remember they've mis-managed their money and they are living pay-check to pay-check, They retired at 38, so they have to rest of their life to support their family, now what
  • blackrain
    Options
    Its also telling that over these last few pages the question of how many have or would willingly give up an entire years worth of income has yet to be answered @Knock_Twice . could/ would you do it? You know damn well majority of people cant no matter how much they make or even have saved up. To go an entire year without bringing in money...or even if you can generate income your cost of living , and be realistic the living of those athletes often support, would need to be seriously adjusted. And that's something that would take time to adjust. Hence why if you listen to the athletes who aren't broke You hear them say they began preparing for retirement a few years in advance not just the day the decided to retire. You dont just adjust that overnight which is what you and others screamimg "Boycott. You should have money saved" seem to be ignoring.
  • Knock_Twice
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Smh

Well if its somebody on their rookie contract then you answered your own question. They dont have anything saved. Seriously a rookie ain't made no money yet so who going to support them during a lockout? You? Even for a 2nd or 3rd year player...living still cost money. You still have to train. Who paying for that?
    Vets in the league yeah they should have money saved but like the vast majority of people they don't. 95% of people would be ? if they lost their jobs today because of lack of savings. Having more money don't prevent that. Literally every study backs up and confirms a good portion of pro athletes go broke within a handful of years after retirement. Add in the fact that the average NFL career aint but 3-4 years to begin with and you see why you're hard pressed to find people willing to give up an entire year of income.

1. A rookie, is just like a college student, Do they not have parents? Can they not get a job with their degree?, wait, what about the cac institution that they graduated from, they didn't get connects there to help them get a job, I mean they did cheer for buddy, gave hi-five to them kids while they were playing football at the institution, made money off their backs and you mean to tell me, now, for what all they did for that cac institution they can't get them kids a job? Let me ask you this, if the white players, all said that they were not playing in the league, they did their own boycott, how do you think they will manage in life?

2. You making too many excuses breh. Training? really, you need to have a NFL contract to train now? What about the players who are not in the NFL, how do they pay for trainers, better yet, what about the millions of ppl that are not involved in sports, how do they pay for trainers? U see the holes you're leaving in your post breh? Let me ask you this, Do you think the white players that's out of the league, how do they pay for trainers? U think if they boy-cotted for Kap, do you think they would have a hard time finding funds for their training?

3. U making excuses for vets and their spending habits, I couldn't care less, manage your money better is my only take on that. How do you know 95% of ppl would be ? 'd? Where did you get that from, that's just not true breh,
    Are cacs group'd in that 95%?

4. Again with your study data, black players need to better manage their money as I stated, I can't help that most trick off their money and accumulate bills. Do cac players go broke within a handful of years? I mean something is disconnected that cacs don't go broke but we do after playing 11-15 years in the league, So what is it? We at times even make more than the cacs

5, The 3-4 year time frame, I covered that on the rookie contract, why would you lean on a career like that and accumulate bills that you can't afford and have to take out a loan, When ppl that are not playing sports, get jobs that are contractual/not classified/term positions/seasonal, what you think those ppl do and how they manage their money and future?

6. What if all 32 NFL owners came out and said "? all Black players, their ancestors and the ones that are living in this world" Do you think black players should still wanna play, do you think they should be leaning on all these excuses that you are giving them to keep playing, still not boycott? Time to get on code breh.

You're confusing reasons with excuses. Me telling you why something isn't happening or couldn't happen isn't the same as giving an excuse. You said what about their parents? As if most pro athletes are coming from places where their parents can support them as opposed to the athlete becoming the family bread winner once they get in the league. ? most college students are broke too and there on scholarships, grants and loans. So that further goes to the point that majority of people families just ain't got it.

2. Yes that ? cost money just like anything else in life does and if you have no income coming in then guess what? You can't get the level of training you need. Theres a reason dudes out of the league and dont have the proper training struggle to get a shot.
    3. Yes white people are grouped in the number od people who would go broke. Clearly 95% was an intentional overexaggeration however any study you find will show you thr vast majority of people period couldn't afford an immediate emergency that cost $2000 let alone losing your entire income for a year
    4. That study is for all athletes. Its not specific to just black athletes that go broke after retirement. You should actually read about this information before making the assumptions you are because you're just flat wrong
    5. Again already addressed. People who arent athletes typically don't have much savings lined up in case of an emergency.
    6. Your confusing of the terms reason and excuses led you to create a dumb hypothetical which has an extremely slim chance of ever happening. If it ever did the public backlash would be so severe that the league itself would be open to all sorts of lawsuits from players this nullifying the financial aspect that comes with a boycott...

1. A parent can't support a 19-22 year old? That 19-22 year old can't use their degree to get a job? How does that player that gets cut after his 1st or 2nd year make it in life breh? Most college students are broke? breh this aint 1995, these kids today are riding in better cars than ? that have real jobs, So you're telling me if you had a 20 year old son, (single parent) you couldn't take care of him? You'd send him to a homeless shelter? He'll starve to death? He can't get a job working in a warehouse/home depot/UPS and train after work? He couldn't do this

2. What's the level of training you need? Again how does the players that are out of the league paying for training? What's the reason for these dudes are out of the league struggling to get a shot? Because of their trainers is what you're leaning on? come on breh let's not

3. Ok, I disagree, I don't go off a study where they study 500 - 50k ppl, That's not a scope of how some things are. Do they factor in skills/ such as folks creating their own thing?

4. Ok breh

5. How do you know what someone has saved up, because you read a study? Did the ppl that conducted these different studies that you're using look in everybody savings account?

6. Ok breh, that statement would never happened.
  • Knock_Twice
    Options
    Its also telling that over these last few pages the question of how many have or would willingly give up an entire years worth of income has yet to be answered @Knock_Twice . could/ would you do it? You know damn well majority of people cant no matter how much they make or even have saved up. To go an entire year without bringing in money...or even if you can generate income your cost of living , and be realistic the living of those athletes often support, would need to be seriously adjusted. And that's something that would take time to adjust. Hence why if you listen to the athletes who aren't broke You hear them say they began preparing for retirement a few years in advance not just the day the decided to retire. You dont just adjust that overnight which is what you and others screamimg "Boycott. You should have money saved" seem to be ignoring.

1. If you're in the NFL and you're relying on that income solely then that's not my fault, again I ask, what's gonna happen to that player when he retires?

2. What happens to you if your job tells you that you are no longer needed there? U die?

3. If a rookie is living like a veteran, something is wrong. If you're on a rookie contract, why are you living outta your means?

• blackrain
    Options

Its not hard to study financial trends. Thats what people who study and report on economics do when they report these findings. They don't just make the stats up out of thin air. And if you think college kids is out here balling then you got a very false sense of things. Majority of people are on loans and grants and scholarships to pay for school hence why the student loan system is in the ? up condition it is now in terms of loan repayments. Of course I would help support my child right out of school but I'm also not naive enough to think that situation wouldn't be a strain on most people who would have to do that. Your "ok" responses ie your attempt to be dismissive are telling because you went and made assumptions then were given proof that you were flat out wrong. You seem to be operating under the assumption that just bevause you got it everybody else does...that ain't reality
  • blackrain
    Options

1. If you're in the NFL and you're relying on that income solely then that's not my fault, again I ask, what's gonna happen to that player when he retires?

2. What happens to you if your job tells you that you are no longer needed there? U die?

3. If a rookie is living like a veteran, something is wrong. If you're on a rookie contract, why are you living outta your means?

I never said a rookie is living like a vet. I explicitly said the opposite and that would make it even less likely for them to boycott because they almost for certain don't have anything saved up to go a year without work. You keep asking well what about when they retire. If the point of college is to prepare you for your career and your career of choice is football then at what point during school with what we already know is a demanding schedule athletes have would they also fit in preparing for a 2nd career? There's a reason you see so many athletes later in their career start doing small spots on sports radio or tv coverage. Its their version of an internship that most college students do when they're 19,20,21 years old preparing for their career. So its not really that shocking that somebody who most likely has spent age 13, sometimes younger, on up preparing to do a specific thing like play sports not really be driven to develop their talents in multiple areas like most people. Most people aren't steered towards a career from the time they're 12 like most pro athletes have been. Also, the older and more life experience you get the more you see ans feel the need to branch out and learn and do different things. You know a huge problem many athletes also face when they retire? Simply finding something else to do. Many athletes have actually described it as having to let your previous life as an athlete die and be reborn as something/someone else because their entire life all they've known is sports. So you are really trying to over simplify something that has deeper layers to it and there has been actual research done that addresses tje very things you are bringing up that you seem to have no knowledge of
  • Knock_Twice
    edited August 2017
    Options

Its not hard to study financial trends. Thats what people who study and report on economics do when they report these findings. They don't just make the stats up out of thin air. And if you think college kids is out here balling then you got a very false sense of things. Majority of people are on loans and grants and scholarships to pay for school hence why the student loan system is in the ? up condition it is now in terms of loan repayments. Of course I would help support my child right out of school but I'm also not naive enough to think that situation wouldn't be a strain on most people who would have to do that. Your "ok" responses ie your attempt to be dismissive are telling because you went and made assumptions then were given proof that you were flat out wrong. You seem to be operating under the assumption that just bevause you got it everybody else does...that ain't reality

1. You're not making any valid points to the questions and points I've made, just empty talking points "like study financial trends is not hard to study" I asked you about the surveys, if they are surveying everybody that's working and looking into everybody's saving accounts. How do you follow a trend with what ppl are saving breh? Stop it, empty point/waste of statement with no meaning behind it.

2.They don't make up stats, yet they don't survey (Everybody) It's cool to survey 500-50k ppl and such and cast your opinions on what everybody has? Oh just like 500-25k black ppl who they survey'd happen to say that they would rather rap or sing than read a book, All black ppl in the world wanna do this huh smh. Ok breh. See how stupid that looks and reads. Trends though of that survey speaks for everybody huh smh Ok breh

3. Who said anything about college kids balling? I said some are driving better cars than ? with real jobs. I said that this is not 1995, these college kids are not poor, you don't think they are not getting some type of allowance whether it's legal or illegal to live off of? or do you think they're sitting in a leaking college dorm room with no AC? Dude most of these college football players are living better than some ppl out there? So why is it you that stated that these kids are poor? Again another empty talking point to try and prop your stance. What college football player that attends FSU, Bama, OSU, (I'll just use those 3) are poor?

4. Most ppl that are not playing sports are on loans,

5. My ok response is pretty much I'm done with bringing up valid points in this debate, I'd rather just move on because you trying to convince me to believe excuses

6. Assumptions about cacs equally going broke like black players? Dude posted a link that linked cacs players going broke and I'm assuming that cac players struggle with their financial funding and going broke equally to the blacks in this league is crazy?
    If the league in my example using these numbers has a total of 400 players, 300 players black, 100 players cac, you and the link that dude posted are going to sit up here and debate that outta the 100 cac players, you think over half will be broke when they retire? If you believe that then we have no further discussion, Outta those 100 cac players, maybe 9-17 (I really wanna say under 10) would be broke/or would have ran through their money in the course of their careers.

• Knock_Twice
    edited August 2017
    Options

I never said a rookie is living like a vet. I explicitly said the opposite and that would make it even less likely for them to boycott because they almost for certain don't have anything saved up to go a year without work. You keep asking well what about when they retire. If the point of college is to prepare you for your career and your career of choice is football then at what point during school with what we already know is a demanding schedule athletes have would they also fit in preparing for a 2nd career? There's a reason you see so many athletes later in their career start doing small spots on sports radio or tv coverage. Its their version of an internship that most college students do when they're 19,20,21 years old preparing for their career. So its not really that shocking that somebody who most likely has spent age 13, sometimes younger, on up preparing to do a specific thing like play sports not really be driven to develop their talents in multiple areas like most people. Most people aren't steered towards a career from the time they're 12 like most pro athletes have been. Also, the older and more life experience you get the more you see ans feel the need to branch out and learn and do different things. You know a huge problem many athletes also face when they retire? Simply finding something else to do. Many athletes have actually described it as having to let your previous life as an athlete die and be reborn as something/someone else because their entire life all they've known is sports. So you are really trying to over simplify something that has deeper layers to it and there has been actual research done that addresses tje very things you are bringing up that you seem to have no knowledge of

1. Breh you insinuated as if a person that's been the league is living a certain life-style, please go back and re-read your post.

2. Breh you're making 500k a year as a rookie and you mean to tell me you can't save??? What? And why you can't save again? ? making 100k a year can't save? How you can't save if you're making 500k and if you do the math 500k x 4 that's 2 million, probably bring home 1.2 after taxes/manager fees. Stop it breh, (Another excuse you trying to lean on about them not able to save.

3. What, Football is a career choice when going to college? Breh stop. U do know everybody won't make it to the league, you do know that percentage is very very very small to make it in the league, so why are you saying that the kids that plays football (100%) career is football? So all those kids putting stock in going into the league and don't have time to actually get a degree in something that will make them money in the real life is what you're saying? Lol Breh I can't anymore.

Before you say the whole "I didn't say everybody is trying to go to the NFL" Please read your post and line where it states this " If the point of college is to prepare you for your career and your career of choice is football then at what point during school with what we already know is a demanding schedule athletes have would they also fit in preparing for a 2nd career

4. Breh you got too many excuses, I'll just agree to disagree with you breh.

5. Breh nothing is deep about this what we are talking about, I've broken down your wall of excuses yet you still trying to build the wall back up. I've stated to you what these black players should be doing, but yet you say that they can't save up money when they get their 1st check. That 500k a year, has to be all spent. These players have to live paycheck to paycheck, cuz you know, they can't save. smh. Let's just agree to disagree, you points are weak breh.

6. This is a time to be heard and you are worried about if ppl paychecks are in jeopardy, as I stated, if these 5-8 year players would have saved their funding, then you or anybody co-signing about their well-being wouldn't be an excuse to use for them to not boy-cott.

"Oh most, if not all, of these owners in this league dislike all black ppl and my peers, but I gotta keep working cuz I'm living paycheck to paycheck, I didn't save up my money folks, I'll take the disrespect that they are doing to me and giving me and my peers, cuz I gotta get this check, I'm wit you Kap, but I gotta keep getting ? 'd on"

Silly ass ? smh
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh

That's another issue with these (black) athletes. They make bad spending decisions and are not educated on business opportunities. Most only get through college because they have athletic talent. It speaks to a deeper problem.

No doubt, most of it stems from their parents who at most was bad with their spending decisions or just didn't have a lot to spend to begin with.

That cycle has to stop, more financial literacy classes needs to be given to our black youth and stop relying on these schools to teach that information cuz they don't. Classes should be given to our parents also so that they can change their views and ways also.

Assets and Liabilities

But yea, you're right breh. I'd never let anybody else manage (my) money when I could do it myself, that just me.

The cycle most definitely need to stop. This is one of the most detrimental factors in our community. Stop living check to check. & bad management people will say "I'm making x amount of money now, I can save more". I be like "no you ain't, you just going to spend more. Managing money is a mental aspect. You have to discipline yourself. So it don't matter how much you make. If you blew money at $12 per hour then you are going to blow it at $30 per hour". A person have to humble themselves & most don't hold that trait
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No excuse for somone making 500,000 plus a year to go broke. It's bad money management period.
  • blackrain
    edited August 2017
    Options

1. You're not making any valid points to the questions and points I've made, just empty talking points "like study financial trends is not hard to study" I asked you about the surveys, if they are surveying everybody that's working and looking into everybody's saving accounts. How do you follow a trend with what ppl are saving breh? Stop it, empty point/waste of statement with no meaning behind it.

2.They don't make up stats, yet they don't survey (Everybody) It's cool to survey 500-50k ppl and such and cast your opinions on what everybody has? Oh just like 500-25k black ppl who they survey'd happen to say that they would rather rap or sing than read a book, All black ppl in the world wanna do this huh smh. Ok breh. See how stupid that looks and reads. Trends though of that survey speaks for everybody huh smh Ok breh

3. Who said anything about college kids balling? I said some of driving better cars than ? with real jobs. I said that this is not 1995, these college kids are not poor, you don't think they are not getting some type of allowance whether to live off of? or do you think they're sitting and a leaking college dorm room with no AC? Dude most of these college football players are living better than some ppl out there? So why is it you that stated that these kids are poor? Again another empty talking point to try and prop your stance. What college football player that attends FSU, Bama, OSU, (I'll just use those 3) are poor?

4. Most ppl that are not playing sports are on loans,

5. My ok response is pretty much I'm done with bringing up valid points in this debate, I'd rather just move on because you trying to convince me to believe excuses

6. Assumptions about cacs equally going broke like black players? Dude posted a link that linked cacs players going broke and I'm assuming that cac players struggle with their financial funding and going broke equally to the blacks in this league is crazy?
    If the league in my example using these numbers has a total of 400 players, 300 players black, 100 players cac, you and the link that dude posted are going to sit up here and debate that outta the 100 cac players, you think over half will be broke when they retire? If you believe that then we have no further discussion, Outta those 100 cac players, maybe 9-17 (I really wanna say under 10) would be broke/or would have ran through their money in the course of their careers.

If your criteria for an accurate financial study is to look into everyone's savings then by your logic no study is good enough. You know damn well studies are done by taking a sample size of certain information and going from there. Or maybe you don't know that and just don't know how research is done. It's already been proven that these studies cover more than black people and black athletes yet you're still harping on a point that you've already been proven wrong about. And you really out of your mind if you think there aren't kids on these teams who are poor. They live on campus for part of the year. They do eventually go back home and unless their parents had money before they went to school, guess where a good number of them are going? Right back into their low income neighborhoods they grew up from. Unless you think these ? get to college and all of a sudden come up on millions on the low. There's a reason why if alot of those kids scholarships are pulled they can't go back to school. Because they literally can't afford it. There's a reason there's such a strong push for athletes to get paid and be able to market their own license. Do you not remember Chris Webber saying the main reason he left Michigan early was because he didn't even have enough money to buy his own jersey if he wanted while Michigan was making millions off the Fab 5? Go look at the documentary "Schooled The Price of College Sports" and listen to ? Foster talk about how at times him and his teammates had to get money from their coaches just to get some food to eat while he was at Tennessee. Your whole POV is just off and you're not even basing it on actual research and numbers just your own misguided opinion when there's actual answers to these questions you're posing you just refuse to believe it because it goes against your own pov. The bad money management isn't just a black player thing, it's athletes in general but because the NFL and NBA are majority black of course their numbers are going to be higher. You're just trying to dismiss clear evidence given to you instead of just admitting you had that one wrong.
  • blackrain
    Options

1. Breh you insinuated as if a person that's been the league is living a certain life-style, please go back and re-read your post.

2. Breh you're making 500k a year as a rookie and you mean to tell me you can't save??? What? And why you can't save again, ? making 100k a year can't save? How you can't save if you're making 500k and if you do the math 500k x 4 that's 2 million, prolly bring home 1.2 after taxes/manager fees. Stop it breh, (Another excuse you trying to lean on about them not able to save.

3. What, Football is a career choice when going to college? Breh stop. U do know everybody won't make it to the league, you do know that percentage is very very very small to make it in the league, so why are you saying that the kids that plays football (100%) career is football? So all those kids putting stock in going into the league and don't have time to actually get a degree in something that will make them money in the real life. Lol Breh I can't anymore,
    Before you say the whole "I didn't say everybody is trying to go to the NFL" Please read your post and line where it states this " If the point of college is to prepare you for your career and your career of choice is football then at what point during school with what we already know is a demanding schedule athletes have would they also fit in preparing for a 2nd career

4. Breh you got too many excuses, I'll just agree to disagree with you breh.

5. Breh nothing is deep about this what we are talking about, I've broken down your wall of excuses yet you still trying to build the wall back up. I've stated to you what these black players should be doing, but yet you say that they can't save up money when they get their 1st check. That 500k a year, has to be all spent. These players have to live paycheck to paycheck, cuz you know, they can't save. smh. Let's just agree to disagree, you points are weak breh.

6. This is a time to be heard and you're worried about if ppl paychecks are in jeopardy, as I stated, if these 5-8 year players would have saved their funding, then you or anybody co-signing about their well-being wouldn't be an excuse to use for them to not boy-cott.

"Oh most, if not all, of these owners in this league dislike all black ppl and my peers, but I gotta keep working cuz I'm living paycheck to paycheck, I didn't save up my money folks, I'll take the disrespect that they are doing to me and giving me and my peers, cuz I gotta get this check, I'm wit you Kap, but I gotta keep getting ? 'd on"

Silly ass ? smh

Me and others have said that it's not that players can't save, it's just that they don't and to expect an instant turn around overnight is just stupid on your part. If you know at this point that players in general dont' save, then expecting them to purposely put themselves into a bad financial position again isn't that bright. Of course playing football is a choice, I never said otherwise. Just as taking on any other path in college is a choice. And yes the percentage of players who make the league as pros is small as ? . That's a given. That however doesn't mean that there isnt' a significant number of people on that team who think they will be in that small percentage and therefore are banking on that chance as their career. Is it realistic to think that? No, but that doesn't mean that that isn't the mentality that alot of them have. Also add in the fact that alot of these athletes are steered towards and taking classes more inclined to keep the eligible to play as opposed to actually teaching them something they can use in the real world to support themselves and you have another reason as to why they can't "just go out and get a job during a boycott" like you're trying to make it seem so simple.

Once again you seem to not understand the difference between a reason for not doing something and an excuse. You acknowledge in this post that you know players aren't saving their money, yet are being willfully ignorant when questioning why they aren't going to choose to keep going w/o a paycheck. Of course if vet players had saved up money then the financial point would be null and void, but since you know they haven't been you can't disregard it as it's actually a reason as to why some players choose not to boycott. The same reason why when the NFL went on strike in the 80's some players broke the picket line. Because they needed the money. So once again unless you yourself are personally willing to go w/o income then you can't sit there on some moral high horse and criticize others for somethign you yourself aren't even willing to do. Unless you about to give up a year's salary then you can't tell somebody how wrong they are for not doing it.
  • blackrain
    Options
    No excuse for somone making 500,000 plus a year to go broke. It's bad money management period.

Extremely bad which is why alot of former players advocate for college athletes to have money management courses as part of their mandatory classes they must take while in school to avoid these pitfalls that they often fall into w/ bad investments and bad spending in general.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black athletes are terrible with money. Facts
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These ? ? they money up by spending too much and taking on a lot of debt. Just compare Mike Vick and Carson Palmer Carson didn't want to play for the Bengals and said he has 80 million in the bank and can retire instead of playing for them and he did. Mike Vick got out of jail and was begging for a job and filing for bankruptcy and I know he had to have made more money than Carson especially with all his endorsement
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Kawhi Leonard and Tim Duncan are definitely the exception .
  • blackrain
    Options

Athletes main money management problem is that they live as if they're going to be making x amount of dollars forever. Instead of scaling back their cost of living, especially as they get closer to retirement, they live as if they will be able to afford the same standard of living making 10-15 million/year when they won't be. That's the main problem right there.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mr.LV wrote: »

Kawhi Leonard and Tim Duncan are definitely the exception .

Tim Duncan let a dude take 20 million from in "dishonest financial" ? .

But besides that dude is smart with his money.

But of course, a lot of dudes are smart but more than half is not.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Back in the blacks sacrificed for the better good of the race... today we spoiled. Cats put money over everything and won't risk losing that check to stand up for what's right. It's a tough situation cuz u want ur money... but sooner or later u have to stand for something... same ? losing they millions cuz they can't stop smoking weed but won't speak out with their platform on racial injustices cuz they scared to lose that same check. That's some backwards was ? .

I feel what you saying, but like someone else asked "Does Kap even want to play ball anymore?" I think it's a bit much to expect ? to give up the money they feed their families with over poor treatment that he might not even give a ? about anymore. I don't know. The players been showing their support for Kap. Isn't that enough?

Naw its not enough... The ? owners know ? aint gt the courage to boycott a game.... Imagine if its the last gamef the year and ur team gotta win this wildcard game and all the blackon the team refused to play... Imagine the white tears if they lost and were eliminated from layoff contention due and the statement that would make... If its organized right the black vets who got their money and are still good nough to start and would be on the fornt line. Thats what a sacrifice is... Kap did that for us a black folk... no matter the motive homie stepped out on the limb to speak up and it cost himhis job. Other black folk need to have that same courage and selflessness... But once again its money over everything
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dnyce215 wrote: »
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Back in the blacks sacrificed for the better good of the race... today we spoiled. Cats put money over everything and won't risk losing that check to stand up for what's right. It's a tough situation cuz u want ur money... but sooner or later u have to stand for something... same ? losing they millions cuz they can't stop smoking weed but won't speak out with their platform on racial injustices cuz they scared to lose that same check. That's some backwards was ? .

I feel what you saying, but like someone else asked "Does Kap even want to play ball anymore?" I think it's a bit much to expect ? to give up the money they feed their families with over poor treatment that he might not even give a ? about anymore. I don't know. The players been showing their support for Kap. Isn't that enough?

Bruh that shows that they are together as one if they stand up even white players included, remember they are a in the same union. They are divided now and the owners know this when CBA is up on 2020. Sherman said they have a chance to change somethings

Again, I get what you're saying, but it's not as easy a sacrifice as people seem to think. How many of us could just give up our job and go without income for a year? It might be the right thing to do, but that doesn't mean it's not hard and in some cases impossible thing to do. I just feel like in matters like these, people on the outside are way too judgmental and cavalier about other people's livelihood.

1%