Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People on both sides planning on boycotting.
  • buddyro
    buddyro Members Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »
    People on both sides planning on boycotting.

Won't happen
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is so stupid. People (i.e., both sides) are stupid. Why is it so hard for people to get over themselves? Let that man live his life.

Like people have been saying, we're now making so much more of the effects of the initial protest(s) rather than the cause of the initial protest(s). Ridiculous.

• dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mike Bennett of the Seahawks sat today during the anthem
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20335808/michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-stays-bench-anthem
    Seahawks' Bennett stays on bench for anthem

CARSON, Calif. -- Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett sat with a towel over his head during the national anthem on Sunday before his team took on the Los Angeles Chargers in the preseason opener for both teams at the StubHub Center.

Bennett's action came a day after his former teammate, running back Marshawn Lynch, did something similar before the Oakland Raiders' exhibition opener on the road Saturday against the Arizona Cardinals.

Bennett has been vocal in expressing his opinions on social issues over the past year. He spent time with Colin Kaepernick during the offseason and wore a T-shirt supporting Kaepernick's "Know Your Rights" camp during a spring news conference.

Bennett was asked earlier this month what it will take for a team to take a shot on Kaepernick.

"It's going to take the organization," Bennett said. "I think the players have spoken up enough. I think the media has spoken up. It just takes the ownership for someone to say we want this guy in our locker room. I think a lot of teams, like we said before, were really affected by what he did and what he did this year. It wasn't criminal.

"There's been guys who have criminal records, guys who have been accused of murder, guys who have been accused of ? and domestic violence who are still in the NFL. It's crazy to see this guy not have an opportunity in the NFL. It's just weird. I mean, some quarterbacks, as we all know, shouldn't be playing, but they are, and this guy is sitting on the side. We all know why. It's just hard to fathom that he's not having a job this year."

• stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20335808/michael-bennett-seattle-seahawks-stays-bench-anthem

CARSON, Calif. -- Seattle Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett sat with a towel over his head during the national anthem on Sunday before his team took on the Los Angeles Chargers in the preseason opener for both teams at the StubHub Center.

Bennett's action came a day after his former teammate, running back Marshawn Lynch, did something similar before the Oakland Raiders' exhibition opener on the road Saturday against the Arizona Cardinals.

Bennett has been vocal in expressing his opinions on social issues over the past year. He spent time with Colin Kaepernick during the offseason and wore a T-shirt supporting Kaepernick's "Know Your Rights" camp during a spring news conference.

Bennett was asked earlier this month what it will take for a team to take a shot on Kaepernick.

"It's going to take the organization," Bennett said. "I think the players have spoken up enough. I think the media has spoken up. It just takes the ownership for someone to say we want this guy in our locker room. I think a lot of teams, like we said before, were really affected by what he did and what he did this year. It wasn't criminal.

"There's been guys who have criminal records, guys who have been accused of murder, guys who have been accused of ? and domestic violence who are still in the NFL. It's crazy to see this guy not have an opportunity in the NFL. It's just weird. I mean, some quarterbacks, as we all know, shouldn't be playing, but they are, and this guy is sitting on the side. We all know why. It's just hard to fathom that he's not having a job this year."

Bennett told reporters after his team's 48-17 win over the Los Angeles Chargers that he hopes his stance will cause others to go out and get involved in changing their community. Bennett said he intends to continue to sit during the national anthem.

"First of all, I want people to understand that I love the military," Bennett said. "My father's in the military. I love hot dogs like any other American. I love football like any other American. But I don't love segregation. I don't love riots or oppression.

"I just want to see people have the equality that they deserve. And I want to be able to use this platform to continuously push the message of that."

One member of the Seahawks' front office told ESPN's Jim Trotter that he is OK with it, "as long as Michael is preaching love and not hate."

Bennett said he spoke to other players around the league about his stance but did not talk to Lynch.

Bennett's Seahawks teammates and coaches were not aware of his plans. He decided to make a statement on his own because he didn't want to be a distraction to other players or his teammates. Bennett also said the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, served as a catalyst for his actions on Sunday.

"I'm being vulnerable right now," Bennett said. "There's a whole bunch of people sitting at home judging me, but they will never get to this point where they can be vulnerable. Let people attack me because they don't believe what I believe in, but at the end of the day, I'm being vulnerable to show every person that no matter [what] you believe in, keep fighting for it. Keep fighting for equality. Keep fighting for oppressed people. And keep trying to change society."
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bennett told reporters after his team's 48-17 win over the Los Angeles Chargers that he hopes his stance will cause others to go out and get involved in changing their community. Bennett said he intends to continue to sit during the national anthem.

"First of all, I want people to understand that I love the military," Bennett said. "My father's in the military. I love hot dogs like any other American. I love football like any other American. But I don't love segregation. I don't love riots or oppression.

"I just want to see people have the equality that they deserve. And I want to be able to use this platform to continuously push the message of that."

One member of the Seahawks' front office told ESPN's Jim Trotter that he is OK with it, "as long as Michael is preaching love and not hate."

Bennett said he spoke to other players around the league about his stance but did not talk to Lynch.

Bennett's Seahawks teammates and coaches were not aware of his plans. He decided to make a statement on his own because he didn't want to be a distraction to other players or his teammates. Bennett also said the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, served as a catalyst for his actions on Sunday.

"I'm being vulnerable right now," Bennett said. "There's a whole bunch of people sitting at home judging me, but they will never get to this point where they can be vulnerable. Let people attack me because they don't believe what I believe in, but at the end of the day, I'm being vulnerable to show every person that no matter [what] you believe in, keep fighting for it. Keep fighting for equality. Keep fighting for oppressed people. And keep trying to change society."

He made his thoughts and feelings clear as day..but stupid ass cacs still wont see past a black man protesting the american anthem, mas props to dude
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »

He made his thoughts and feelings clear as day..but stupid ass cacs still wont see past a black man protesting the american anthem, mas props to dude

you know people are going to act like he didn't make his thoughts clear because they did the same to Kaepernick after he continuously made his intentions clear.

People are intentionally acting like they don't know why because they don't want to address the facts these guys are stating
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Ravens sign Thad Lewis, I hope players uprise this season.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

No. That is the ? talking.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/08/hue_jackson_says_national_anth.html#incart_river_index
    Hue Jackson on National Anthem protests: 'I would hope that we don't have those issues'

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns head coach Hue Jackson acknowledged on Monday that he understands the reasons behind NFL players protesting during the National Anthem by kneeling or sitting, but also said he hopes it won't happen with his team.

"I think everybody has a right to do, and I get it, but the National Anthem means a lot to myself personally, the organization and our football team," Jackson said when asked about anthem protests re-emerging in the NFL following the events in Charlottesville, Virginia this past weekend. "I hope -- again I can't speak, I haven't really talked to our team about it -- I would hope that we don't have those issues."

Raiders running back Marshawn Lynch sat on the sideline during the anthem on Saturday night, and Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett sat on the bench with a towel over his head during the anthem on Sunday night. The protests came the same weekend as a white supremacist rally in Virginia turned violent, leaving one dead after a car plowed into a group of counterprotesters. Two state troopers who were monitoring the demonstrations also died in a helicopter crash.

"With everything that's been going on the last couple of months, and especially after the last couple of days seeing what's going on in Virginia, and earlier today in Seattle," Bennett said after the game according to ESPN, "I just wanted to be able to use my platform to be able to continuously speak on injustice."

This comes a season after former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick knelt during the national anthem in response to police shootings of unarmed black men. Kaepernick remains unsigned.

Jackson said he prefers to address those issues internally.

"I understand there is a lot going on in the world. I like to just keep it here. What we deal with, we try to deal with as a team in our closed environment. We talk about things," Jackson said. "Hopefully, that won't happen. I can't tell you it won't happen, but I just know our guys, and I don't think that is where our focus is.
    We hope the things that are going on in the world get ironed out, but I know right now we are doing everything we can to get our football team better."

waqx1pa3e3sf.gif