Mental Health Thread: What's your take on Therapy and the whole psychosocial industry?

Options

Comments

• aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I work in the field. Mental health therapist. Growing up I didn't believe a lot of that stuff but working with that population u see it's real. Also weed triggers a lot of ?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    I don't think that ? works - for me anyway.

Talk to a MF for an hour a week, and one day you're supposed to break down in tears and have some breakthrough ?

Pay a MF to keep writin ? , looking at the time, while momentarily asking you "and why do you think that is ?" and "how did that make you feel ?"

Nah I'm cool.

I've been wondering about hypnosis too - that ? seems fake as hell.

Don't waste your money, it works but probably not for your mind. You seem unwilling to give control of your mind to someone else.

Lol, damn it's like that ?

And here I am considering myself pretty open-minded.

That's what someone said to me who had been under hypnosis, I consider myself open minded too but ain't no ? way someone is putting my conscious mind to sleep to "dig around" my mind. I did try when I was younger with those stage hypnosis guys(idk how real that ? is) but it didn't work for me and got off the stage. And unless half the people I personally knew on stage were in on it ? looked real.

Oh you must've meant the hypnosis. I thought you were saying I was beyond mental help in general. Was like damn.

Oh maybe that's cuz I read the end of your post wrong like a ? .
  • mohamed
    mohamed Members Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aneed123 wrote: »
    I work in the field. Mental health therapist. Growing up I didn't believe a lot of that stuff but working with that population u see it's real. Also weed triggers a lot of ?

What do you mean? I thought it's suppose to chill people out?

• leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^ Depends on the person
  • Westie
    Westie Members Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think therapy can be great for a lot of people. Just think about how good it can feel just to vent to someone about your problems. Just research the person 1st.
  • aneed123
    Options
    mohamed wrote: »

What do you mean? I thought it's suppose to chill people out?

homie il break it down. Alcohol is a depressant so it triggers a lot of suicidal bx in folk.... weed on the other end triggers paranoia... I remember growing up my homies would be high taking bout they see ? otherwords... they trippin... if ur family have a history of schizophrenia marijuana use can trigger it in u if its dormant.... ie all the stories of folk who were smart normal folk who went off to college and smoked some "bad" weed.... now they walking the street talking to themselves all crazy. add in folk self medicate to help themdeal with mental health issues.... I worked on an Act team for a min and all fo the bi polar and schizophrenics were crackheads and weed heads.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mental health works if you follow a regiment. If you learn what your triggers are but mental health ain't like fixing a machine and that's what people need to understand.

It's not a matter of replacing spark plugs or ? like that. Usually folks have a web of traumatic issues that lead to certain behaviors and sometimes people don't see those behaviors as being a bad thing.

Hypersexuality for instance. For a lot of folks that's a symptom of mental illness.

Also people will have the same disorder but different symptoms. Some folks have audio delusions, some visual, some have both.

But the biggest issue with mental illness is the patient has to be open and honest about how they feel and their experiences.

I know psychs. You wouldn't be surprised to know how many folks waste their money going to a doctor only to dance around issues and not tell the whole story.

Add to that all the reliance on self-medicating and it's quite possibly one of the most difficult professions in the world.
  • aneed123
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Mental health works if you follow a regiment. If you learn what your triggers are but mental health ain't like fixing a machine and that's what people need to understand.

It's not a matter of replacing spark plugs or ? like that. Usually folks have a web of traumatic issues that lead to certain behaviors and sometimes people don't see those behaviors as being a bad thing.

Hypersexuality for instance. For a lot of folks that's a symptom of mental illness.

Also people will have the same disorder but different symptoms. Some folks have audio delusions, some visual, some have both.

But the biggest issue with mental illness is the patient has to be open and honest about how they feel and their experiences.

I know psychs. You wouldn't be surprised to know how many folks waste their money going to a doctor only to dance around issues and not tell the whole story.

Add to that all the reliance on self-medicating and it's quite possibly one of the most difficult professions in the world.

The success rate working with folk is low based if everything u said.. this is why I enjoy working more with my foster care clientele cuz a lot if them just need to vent and have some one consistent in their life
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »

The success rate working with folk is low based if everything u said.. this is why I enjoy working more with my foster care clientele cuz a lot if them just need to vent and have some one consistent in their life

Yep. I used to work in foster care too.
    You get a real education in mental health working in a place like that.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would go to a psychologist or a licensed counselor..I'd be less likely to go to a psychiatrist. I feel like they'd be quick to feed you a cocktail of medications.
  • aneed123
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    I would go to a psychologist or a licensed counselor..I'd be less likely to go to a psychiatrist. I feel like they'd be quick to feed you a cocktail of medications.

Just tell them no... it's ur right
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never gone to a head shrinker before. I don't judge it or think less of people who go, especially people dealing with chronic ailments or pain issues. Me personally tho, I could never bring myself to go, not that I need one, but I don't think they'd be helpful for someone like me anyways.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    I usually just withdraw, change my thoughts or legally self medicate (Hennessy, Newports etc).

so you hide an mask your problems... only to sober up an they still be there...

Should've went more in depth. I also meditate and exercise which helps mental alchemy and I can see situations and control them before and while they happen. But the Henny and smoking was only mentioned when dealing with short term remedies. Therapy does have its qualities.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'll take it.
  • Kat
    Options

I'll take it.

The medication?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Talked to my mom today. She's convinced me to check on my mental health. Ima hop on it when I get back to Vegas. Smh.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'll take it.

The medication?

Well yes and no. I spoke to a psychologist before and felt like it was a waste of time. Now had it been a psychiatrist who could've gave me some good recreational drugs (as long as it doesn't have the fine print of a whole bunch of worse ? ), at least I would've got something back for my money.

Yeah I know, it's a damn shame even posting that.
  • Kat
    Options

I'll take it.

The medication?

Well yes and no. I spoke to a psychologist before and felt like it was a waste of time. Now had it been a psychiatrist who could've gave me some good recreational drugs (as long as it doesn't have the fine print of a whole bunch of worse ? ), at least I would've got something back for my money.

Yeah I know, it's a damn shame even posting that.

Seen too many people ? up off what was intended to help them..I'll stick to weed.
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been to the.rapists before.

They basically act as an external projection of your subconscious so you can work through your ? . They ask questions many times questions you are too afraid to ask.

The chemical aspect of the mental health industry is a bunch of ? . It's basically convincing people they need synthetic chemical doses to work through problems their brain already possesses the neurochemicals for. That's why people feel a little nervous they popping a xan or whatever.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They ? your mind of all its secrets and demons.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »
    I've got a lot of demons, and I found out my insurance will cover part of therapy / psychiatry. I have a lot of demons fighting me on substance issues and other stuff and really wanna find some way to use my insurance to pay for a portion of the help I seek.

But I also know a lot of therapy is a crock of ? .

What's your guys' take on this stuff? Does it work? Am i better off going to a less educated counselour for similar services? Could I just improve myself as well w mee mediation?

Wherever you see Industry tied with anything health related just RUN.
    These two things are in much ways antigonistic.

• semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i believe in therapy. when my mom passed in 08 a ? almost went crazy. I was drinking heavy and self medicating with ? . i started to distance myself from my wife and i didn't want my kids to see how bad it had gotten for me. I would be so ? and so high i would sleep in my car. my wife begged me to go to therapy. i refused like nah im not a weak ? . she basically told me that if i didn't go she would leave me.

my first therapist was wack as hell. i didn't like the ? at all. i searched for another and came across this dude on a therapist website. i went in to his office and we began to talk. we did weekly visits at first. the more i went the more i felt comfortable talking to dude. my mom died sept. 8, 2008. he helped me deal with my mom's passing and without me taking that step to call his office I probably wouldn't be here today.

this year my pops passed on may 2. I could see his decline starting in January of this year. we talked about it and how i would feel. when my dad died i was right there by his side. i didn't run to alcohol or drugs. i was better prepared and handled his passing a whole lot better. it hurt just the same but therapy help me deal with my grief as well as a bunch of inner demons i have based on the life i lived as a youngster.

im almost 9 years in with this therapy ? . i suggest everyone go because your mental health is no joke.
  • aneed123
    Options
    i believe in therapy. when my mom passed in 08 a ? almost went crazy. I was drinking heavy and self medicating with ? . i started to distance myself from my wife and i didn't want my kids to see how bad it had gotten for me. I would be so ? and so high i would sleep in my car. my wife begged me to go to therapy. i refused like nah im not a weak ? . she basically told me that if i didn't go she would leave me.

my first therapist was wack as hell. i didn't like the ? at all. i searched for another and came across this dude on a therapist website. i went in to his office and we began to talk. we did weekly visits at first. the more i went the more i felt comfortable talking to dude. my mom died sept. 8, 2008. he helped me deal with my mom's passing and without me taking that step to call his office I probably wouldn't be here today.

this year my pops passed on may 2. I could see his decline starting in January of this year. we talked about it and how i would feel. when my dad died i was right there by his side. i didn't run to alcohol or drugs. i was better prepared and handled his passing a whole lot better. it hurt just the same but therapy help me deal with my grief as well as a bunch of inner demons i have based on the life i lived as a youngster.

im almost 9 years in with this therapy ? . i suggest everyone go because your mental health is no joke.

good stuff.. I think the stigma of therapy turn folk off along with the phamaceutical companies being in cahoots with the psychiatrists in trying to force meds on folk. I think thebiggest help tho is having someone u cn trust who wont judge u to talk thru and help urget thru those tough times.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    Some of the things she tells me her clients have dealt with in their lives w/o any sort of support system or help is crazy.

Exactly why I couldn't ? with one. I don't want my life being told to somebody else without my consent. That's that trust ? .

Shes never told me anyone's name. Legally she can't say that or anything really other than "I met with a client who was abused today by their parent"
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I don't think that ? works - for me anyway.

Talk to a MF for an hour a week, and one day you're supposed to break down in tears and have some breakthrough ?

Pay a MF to keep writin ? , looking at the time, while momentarily asking you "and why do you think that is ?" and "how did that make you feel ?"

Nah I'm cool.

I've been wondering about hypnosis too - that ? seems fake as hell.

Yeah if that's your idea of what happens you've seen way too many movies. That's not even close