illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    ^ Man on a mission.
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Yo come on now DR. DRE is the greatest of all times period! everybody cant stay on top forever, every Producer will fall off, look at RZA and Preme. But he's up there though

EAZY DUZ IT, STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON, NOBODY CAN DO IT BETTER, MICHEL'LE, NIGGAZ4LIFE, THE CHRONIC, ? , 2001, THAT'S 8 CLASSIC ALBUMS HE PRODUCED
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited June 2011
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »
    Dilla has an excuse tho. He's dead

wats dre's excuse?

The ? is pushin 50 in a teenage dominated genre, has a family, runnin a record label that's been alive for a decade, has thousands of records where he doesn't need to be all in the limelight to make money anymore. Not enough?
  • slickrik2002
    slickrik2002 Members Posts: 84
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Since Kanye doesn't rely on Gangsta ? I say yes he will be better than Dre

LOL @ Dre doin Gangsta ? till he's 50

Kanye is a better producer today than Dr. Dre but so are a lot of producers. Dre in his prime had way more hits than Kanye so this is like saying Kevin Durant is a better basketball player than Jordan b/c he fell off. I understand that's a physical sport where age is more important but I think it's fair to think most rappers/producers will not be as good when they're getting up to 40 & 50.

Kanye has 2-3 classics and worked with a lot of artists while Dre has 2 classics both better than Kanye's best album and been the main producer for 3 power house labels in Ruthless, Death Row & Aftermath. While I think his Death Row days are his best, you could make the argument for the other 2 with NWA or his help with Eminem, Obie, 50 cent, Game, etc.

I agree that Dre seems to suck these days but that doesn't erase history and his contribution to it.
  • illogics
    illogics Members Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    The ? is pushin 50 in a teenage dominated genre, has a family, runnin a record label that's been alive for a decade, has thousands of records where he doesn't need to be all in the limelight to make money anymore. Not enough?

Nah, these ? gon negate decades worth of work because he hasn't released that much LATELY. We in a ADD society foreal. That's one of the main reasons the hip-hop game ? up in the first place.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Somebody point me to the post where I said Dre was not talented????
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »

uh oh, this cornball is catching feelings again....
    you should do what you normally do when you get your panties all knotted up and close this thread....I'm sure that'll make you feel better
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Has Kanye West ever taken credit for producing a song that he didn't really produce? Cause Pac said Dre did...
  • KingJamal
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Has Kanye West ever taken credit for producing a song that he didn't really produce? Cause Pac said Dre did...
    uh oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    can-of-worms.jpg
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited June 2011
    Options

Down & Out? That's the only one... and even then, I think it was other people just saying it was his
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    We dont even know what dre is responsible for producing besides the world class wreckin crew, dre the most overrated person in hip hop
  • PLASTIC RULES
    PLASTIC RULES Members Posts: 1,535 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
  • PLASTIC RULES
    PLASTIC RULES Members Posts: 1,535 ✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    schroeder.gif >>>>>>>> Dr. Dre
  • INFAREDSHAWTY
    INFAREDSHAWTY Members Posts: 397
    edited June 2011
    Options
    hell no. dre practically created rap lol
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    When was the last time Dre made a truly great beat without help from someone

Ironically, Dr. Dre has made several beats by his lonely since Kanye has. "Ridaz" >>>> "Haters" and "Young Forever". Those are some of the last beats either producer did on their own.

Again, people are giving Kanye a pass for using co-producers or are simply unaware that dude rarely works alone these days behind the boards.
  • georgia boi
    edited June 2011
    Options

Glad you brought that up:

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2011/06/d-dot-on-kanye-west-he-didnt-do-right-by-his-og/

Former Diddy-affiliated producer and ex-Kanye West mentor Deric “D-Dot” Angelettie said that he and the Louis Vuitton Don are on speaking terms, though he feels slighted by his one-time protégé.

“When we see each other we shake each other hands and say what’s up, but he didn’t do right by his O.G.,” D-Dot, who is also known for his famous alter-ego The Mad Rapper, told XXLMag.com. “I didn’t do nothing to him. I didn’t rob him. All that ghost production ? he started and had the world makin’ ‘em think that he did everything.”

The two have experienced friction over West alleging that D-Dot, who was a member of the Bad Boy production squad The Hitmen and created tracks including The Notorious B.I.G.’s “Hypnotize” and Diddy’s “It’s All About the Benjamins,” took credit for beats that an up-and-coming West produced.

“He’s doin’ it right now and been doin’ for the last 5 or 6 years,” D-Dot said, “so all that ? he had people believing is actually disrespectful by believing that somebody like myself would actually take his music and rob him and put my name on it like he didn’t get credit.”

Look out for the full feature on D-Dot next Tuesday (June 21). —Lauren Carter with additional reporting by Carl Chery

^^^ That's from an interview two days ago of D. Dot clarifying that Kanye is doing now what Kanye accused him of doing.
  • KingJamal
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Ironically, Dr. Dre has made several beats by his lonely since Kanye has. "Ridaz" >>>> "Haters" and "Young Forever". Those are some of the last beats either producer did on their own.

Again, people are giving Kanye a pass for using co-producers or are simply unaware that dude rarely works alone these days behind the boards.

I know that Kanye has used co producers (especially on MBTDF)
  • KingJamal
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Glad you brought that up:

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2011/06/d-dot-on-kanye-west-he-didnt-do-right-by-his-og/

Former Diddy-affiliated producer and ex-Kanye West mentor Deric “D-Dot” Angelettie said that he and the Louis Vuitton Don are on speaking terms, though he feels slighted by his one-time protégé.

“When we see each other we shake each other hands and say what’s up, but he didn’t do right by his O.G.,” D-Dot, who is also known for his famous alter-ego The Mad Rapper, told XXLMag.com. “I didn’t do nothing to him. I didn’t rob him. All that ghost production ? he started and had the world makin’ ‘em think that he did everything.”

The two have experienced friction over West alleging that D-Dot, who was a member of the Bad Boy production squad The Hitmen and created tracks including The Notorious B.I.G.’s “Hypnotize” and Diddy’s “It’s All About the Benjamins,” took credit for beats that an up-and-coming West produced.

“He’s doin’ it right now and been doin’ for the last 5 or 6 years,” D-Dot said, “so all that ? he had people believing is actually disrespectful by believing that somebody like myself would actually take his music and rob him and put my name on it like he didn’t get credit.”

Look out for the full feature on D-Dot next Tuesday (June 21). —Lauren Carter with additional reporting by Carl Chery

^^^ That's from an interview two days ago of D. Dot clarifying that Kanye is doing now what Kanye accused him of doing.

We'll see wat becomes of this
  • georgia boi
    edited June 2011
    Options
    I know that Kanye has used co producers (especially on MBTDF)

Why ask what was the last great beat that Dre created by himself, when Kanye doesn't even make beats by himself anymore? Looking closely at what both producers have done in the past five years, Dre definitely gives Kanye competition.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Why ask what was the last great beat that Dre created by himself, when Kanye doesn't even make beats by himself anymore? Looking closely at what both producers have done in the past five years, Dre definitely gives Kanye competition.

No he doesnt though.... they both use co producers yes... but the sheer output of what they have put out in the past 5/6 years Ye>>Dre (past 6 years)
  • KingJamal
    edited June 2011
    Options

lol I don't think so

Like I said even on Ye's worst album 808s he still had some great production like Robocop (which he did himself)
  • georgia boi
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Feelings have been caught. I was born in the 80s. And Dre barely even did anything for nuthin but a g thang

How does this pass for genius though?

It's not really different from what Dre did with Leon Haywood.
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Anyone who says Dre has put out better work than Ye in the past 6 years is probably an old head..........

Dre a legend yes... thats irrefutable

He just hasnt put out legendary ? in a while

We're not talking 80's or 90's.... we're talking 05-now
  • KingJamal
    edited June 2011
    Options
    How does this pass for genius though?

It's not really different from what Dre did with Leon Haywood.

Naw that Leon Haywood sample was laid out for him on a platter lol

I feel the Doors sample took just a lil bit more work
  • georgia boi
    edited June 2011
    Options
    No he doesnt though.... they both use co producers yes... but the sheer output of what they have put out in the past 5/6 years Ye>>Dre (past 6 years)

Since June 2006, Dre has produced

01. "Get You Some" (feat. Marsha Ambrosius & Q-Tip) (Produced with Mark Batson)
    03. "How We Do It Over Here" (feat. Missy Elliot)
    05. "Been Through The Storm" (feat. Stevie Wonder) (Additional production with Sha Money XL & Black Jeruz)
    Sample Credit: "Everlasting Love" by Felix Cavaliere
    06. "In the Ghetto" (feat. Rick James) (Additional production with DJ Green Lantern)
    07. "Cocaina" (feat. Marsha Ambrosius) (Produced with Mark Batson)
    09. "Goldmine" (feat. Raekwon) (Additional production with Erick Sermon)
    11. "Don't Get Carried Away" (feat. Nas)
    15. "Legend of the Fall Off's"
    Sample Credit: "Do You Ever" by Return to Forever
    [edit] Jay-Z - Kingdom Come05. "Lost One" (feat. Chrisette Michele) (Produced with Mark Batson)
    07. "30 Something"
    11. "Trouble" (Produced with Mark Batson)
    13. "Minority Report" (feat. Ne-Yo)
    Sample Credit: "Non ti scordar di me" by Luciano Pavarotti
    [edit] Snoop Dogg - Tha Blue Carpet Treatment09. "Boss' Life" (feat. Akon) (Produced with Mark Batson)
    Sample Credit: "If Tomorrow Never Comes" by The Controllers
    Sample Credit: "Everybody Rise" by Busta Rhymes
    12. "Round Here"
    Sample Credit: "Thank You" by Dido
    20. "Imagine" (feat. Dr. Dre & D'Angelo) (Produced with Mark Batson)
    [edit] Shady Records - Eminem Presents: The Re-Up18. "Get Low" (Stat Quo)
    [edit] Nas - Hip Hop Is Dead15. "Hustlers" (feat. The Game & Marsha Ambrosius)
    [edit] 2007[edit] Young Buck - Buck the World08. "Hold On" (feat. 50 Cent) (Produced with Che Vicious)
    11. "U Ain't Goin' Nowhere" (feat. LaToiya Williams) (Produced with Mark Batson)
    [edit] 50 Cent - Curtis06. "Come and Go"
    14. "Fire" (feat. Young Buck & Nicole Scherzinger)
    [edit] 2008[edit] Bishop Lamont - The Confessional19. "The Greatest Trick" (Produced with Denaun Porter)
    [edit] Trick-Trick - The Villain09. "Hold On"
    [edit] 2009[edit] Slim Thug - Boss of All Bosses02. "? I'm Back" (feat. Devin the Dude) (Produced with Mr. Lee)
    [edit] Eminem - Relapse01. "Dr. West" (Skit)
    02. "3 a.m."
    03. "My Mom"
    04. "Insane"
    Sample Credit: "? Box" by The Skinny Boys
    05. "Bagpipes from Baghdad" (Produced with T. Lawrence)
    06. "Hello" (Produced with Mark Batson)
    07. "Tonya" (Skit)
    08. "Same Song & Dance" (Produced with Dawaun Parker)
    09. "We Made You" (Produced with Eminem & Doc Ish)
    Sample Credit: "Hot Summer Nights" by Walter Egan
    10. "Medicine Ball" (Produced with Mark Batson)
    11. "Paul" (Skit)
    12. "Stay Wide Awake"
    13. "Old Time's Sake" (feat. Dr. Dre) (Produced with Mark Batson)
    14. "Must Be The Gunja" (Produced with Mark Batson)
    15. "Mr. Mathers" (Skit)
    16. "Déjà Vu"
    18. "? a Bottle" (feat. Dr. Dre & 50 Cent)
    Sample Credit: "Mais dans ma lumière" by Mike Brant
    19. "Steve Berman" (Skit)
    20. "Underground"
    [edit] Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… Pt. II18. "Catalina" (feat. Lyfe Jennings) (Produced with Mark Batson)
    Sample Credit: "Rainy Dayz" by Raekwon
    Sample Credit: "Dialogue and score from the film The Killer"
    20. "About Me" (feat. Busta Rhymes) (Produced with Mark Batson)

50 Cent - Before I Self Destruct03. "Death to My Enemies" (Produced with Mark Batson)
    05. "? " (feat. Eminem) (Produced with Eminem)
    Sample Credit: "The Age of Love" by Age of Love
    15. "Ok, You're Right" (Produced with Mark Batson)
    [edit] Eminem - Relapse: Refill02. "Hell Breaks Loose" (feat. Dr. Dre) (Produced with Mark Batson)
    03. "Buffalo Bill" (Produced with Mark Batson)
    05. "Taking My Ball"
    06. "Music Box" (Produced with Dawaun Parker)
    07. "Drop the Bomb on 'Em"
    [edit] 2010[edit] Eminem - Recovery13. "So Bad"
    18. "Ridaz" (iTunes deluxe edition bonus tracks)
    Bishop Lamont - The Shawshank Redemption/Angola 307. "Rain" (feat. Liz Rodrigues)
    21. "Change Is Gonna Come" (feat. Mike Anthony)