Comparin' blacks to ? ...

Options

Comments

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »
    I'm not comparing who had it worse... I comparing which one was LEGAL.

Right now, if a ? person even gets into a normal fight, they could try to claim a hate-crime whether or not they started it.

How is that similar to the government looking the other way when black people were found hanging from a ? ' tree ?

and they'd have to prove it was a hate crime in order for it to stand up...you can't just yell "hate crime" and that's it just because you're ? ...there's an actual criteria that has to be met...and when you use words like "similar" you are comparing...
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Native Americans .........

some natives received reparations. no blacks did. even the natives who were black (Seminoles, many creeks) were rejected when other natives received restitution. we're always fighting and have fought for everything that we have in a society that is against our advancement. we're naturally paranoid.
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    some natives received reparations. no blacks did. even the natives who were black (Seminoles, many creeks) were rejected when other natives received restitution. we're always fighting and have fought for everything that we have in a society that is against our advancement. we're naturally paranoid.

I'd say having nearly your entire race eliminated from the face of the earth might be worse than not receiving reparations...
  • IamtheVILLE
    IamtheVILLE Members Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    all yall ? is ? defending ?
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'd say having nearly your entire race eliminated from the face of the earth might be worse than not receiving reparations...

blacks lost just as many if not more in the slave trade and global colonialism up until this present day through many factors. genocide just didn't work on us, but that's another story.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I'm not comparing who had it worse... I comparing which one was LEGAL.

Right now, if a ? person even gets into a normal fight, they could try to claim a hate-crime whether or not they started it.

How is that similar to the government looking the other way when black people were found hanging from a ? ' tree ?

bruh if nobody else wanna act like they hear what you saying, i hear you. The people in here defending are starting to lose me with their points.

If not just a ? person but if anybody says, "what ? people are going through is just like what the blacks did" its wrong, ignorant, and offensive.

? people got so much ? power, you gotta make public apologies 4 calling somebody a ? w/o it even having ? connotations when you said it
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Huruma wrote: »
    How homosexuals in Western culture have been treated in the past is irrelevant to how they're treated today. The comparison is valid. Blacks aren't the world's special, "chosen" people, they are not the underdogs of the universe ( not on the basis of their being Black). Discrimination against anyone on the grounds that they're Black, ? , overweight, female, chimpanzee etc. is wrong for the same reason : it's wrong to mistreat people, everyone's interests should be given equal consideration.

It's not more complicated than that. Bashing someone's skull in because they're Black isn't any worse than bashing their skull in for any other reason.

Being ? hasnt stopped them from getting an equal education, it has not stopped them from being able to use the same bathrooms, it has not....I can keep going.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    w/e...its disrespectful and disingenuous for contemporary american ? to compare their struggles to the plight of our ancestors who faced institutionalized racism and fought to make it possible that you and every other black person has the right to be treated like a human being.

? have also, historically and presently, been denied their person-hood. ? have also, and still do, face institutional discrimination. How many times do I have to point out that being ? can get you ? killed?
    yes ? are being denied the right to marry, been discriminated against and are often victims of violence so there are similarities there

There is no 'but' after this. ? , like Blacks, are discriminated against.
    but there's a difference in feeling discriminated against simply because of one's physical appearance vs. what one does be hide closed doors....

It's not a question of what you do so much as who you are. Homosexuality, the attraction itself, is considered perverse which is why acting on it can get you killed, bullied, incarcerated etc.
    its like me as a ameircan woman comparing my plight and struggles to those of middle eastern woman, i would never do it.

Sexism is generally much stronger and occurs far more often in the Middle East but some American women actually have it worse than some Middle Eastern women do (the 'Middle East' is a broad region and Sharia law isn't practiced everywhere). If I'm not mistaken, Saudi women can't vote, they require a male guardian and up until '05, forcing them into marriage was legal. That's institutionalized sexism, Black people (in the U.S, South Africa and I'm sure every other country where they're found) no longer face *institutionalized* racism.

You realize ? , homosexual means having sex with the same gender. Having sex with a man, if you're a man is homosexual no matter what you are attracted to, you're ? . And no one is born ? or hetero. Sexuality is learned and some kids learn homosexuality due to bad parenting. The best I can give it is a mental disorder and thus it should not be encouraged. It's clear that nature intends for man to be hetero, so thus ? has to be some kind of disorder.

Nature doesn't "intend" for anything. Nature is a mindless, amoral system of causality. We're a part of nature so every thing we do is necessarily 'natural'. Even if it weren't, by your reasoning, we already live 'unnatural' lifestyles since we're adapted for hunting-gathering in the African savannah yet we grow food, burn fossil fuels for energy etc.
    And btw if ? 's were born ? , then why is there a sudden emergence of kids, little kids that are so called ? all of a sudden?? Because it's a choice, and right now it's a ? ass fad.

When 'society' becomes more 'tolerant', obviously people are going to feel less pressured to hide who they are. This is as meaningful as asking "if Black women are born with natural hair, why are there more BW with natural hair now than there used to be?".
    And to compare blacks and ? is still stupid since Blacks can't hide ? , while ? can just not act ? in the same way a ? acts normal in public. Hide what you are if it gets discriminated against, it's obvious and people do it every day and for centuries. Black people have no such choice. Call me when homos can't get jobs cause they're ? and get paid less and get less schooling, and get hung, burned, can't vote, enslaved, can't go places, can't buy things etc.

Putting them in a position where they have to hide their sexuality in order to avoid alienation is itself discrimination. It makes no difference whether they can choose or hide their sexuality, they should be given the same consideration that everyone else demands.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Never seen a thread like this before.

But even tho it's been done, here's my two cents: Blacks and ? haven't in history and don't today have the exact same struggle, but they're both oppressed groups and if ? want to invoke the sentiment of the civil rights movement in their own struggle for equal rights I would think blacks would be supportive, insomuch as they've been through so much oppression themselves and would be honored to have laid the blueprint that helps another oppressed group. Imo the alternative position is the height of childishness.
  • bless the child
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Neither do you.

Black people aren't legally considered 3/5th of a human being today. What's 'disrespectful' is comparing the struggles of (most) contemporary Black people to the struggles of 19th century slaves.

Most of contemporary Black peoples struggles are a result of the struggles of the 19th century slaves. Just like most of the contemporary Caucasians success is the result of slavery.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    It depends on what they mean when they make that comparison. If they are saying that blacks and ? have been equally mistreated in the this country, then that's clearly not the case. But if they are saying that they are fighting the same fight that we fought - being denied rights that should be their's under the constitution - then they are correct. At it's core, it's the exact same thing.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ? have also, historically and presently, been denied their person-hood. ? have also, and still do, face institutional discrimination. How many times do I have to point out that being ? can get you ? killed?

You're absolutely right, nobody has ever been killed for being black. :confused:
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    You're absolutely right, nobody has ever been killed for being black. :confused:

damn ....thats was a point that cant be overlooked
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    It depends on what they mean when they make that comparison. If they are saying that blacks and ? have been equally mistreated in the this country, then that's clearly not the case. But if they are saying that they are fighting the same fight that we fought - being denied rights that should be their's under the constitution - then they are correct. At it's core, it's the exact same thing.

and that is what some are arguing against...
  • mryounggun
    edited August 2011
    Options
    and that is what some are arguing against...

Then those people are not rational people. Lol. I'm sure my words will get twisted later, but like I said - at it's CORE - it's the exact same struggle. ? just want us to keep that title as the most disenfranchised people in this countries history...even when no one is trying to take that away. SMH.

? need to relax.
  • R.D.
    edited August 2011
    Options

but they're not.These ? rights groups are fighting a invisible war. Their main argument is not being able to get married, really dude ? The comparison is disrespectful and downplays what blacks actually went through by making it at all especially when comparing it to their ? fight. The only points I hear is of marriage and ? people can get killed just for being ? . Some white people get killed just for being white, as do blacks. Your local 7 eleven cashier cant walk through the airport without extra attention being paid to him. Asians are stuck with stereotypes of being good in math and being called chinks. White people are stuck with the perception of smelling like wet dogs. What in the world makes ? stand out from this group.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    State recognized marriage is not a right. You have to fulfill the requirements just like any other license.

I'm uncertain how I feel about marriage as a legal institution to begin with but to deny a couple the right to legally marry because they belong to the same sex is discrimination, an entire group of people are being *legally* denied privileges that other people have just because they are ? .

Being ? hasnt stopped them from getting an equal education, it has not stopped them from being able to use the same bathrooms, it has not....I can keep going.

Being ? has stopped many people from living, enjoying the same legal privileges that their countrymen/women have, not being incarcerated, not being assaulted etc.
    Most of contemporary Black peoples struggles are a result of the struggles of the 19th century slaves. Just like most of the contemporary Caucasians success is the result of slavery.

Most White Americans have no ancestral ties to Southern slave owners whatsoever and the Southern economy was severely weakened after the civil war.
    You're absolutely right, nobody has ever been killed for being black.

I'm not arguing that ? , as a "group", have it worse or have ever had it worse, I'm arguing that some ? have endured worse discrimination than some Black people have and that discrimination against ? is just as wrong, thus, ? are justified in comparing the modern, ? struggle for equal treatment to the civil rights struggle for equal treatment.
    What in the world makes ? stand out from this group.

Nothing! I would give the exact same argument to any ? person who claimed that comparing women's struggle for equal treatment, immigrant's struggle for equal treatment, overweight people's struggle for equal treatment etc. to the ? struggle for equal treatment was somehow disrespectful or uncalled for...

Discrimination is wrong regardless of who the victims are or what the basis for their being discriminated against is.
  • R.D.
    edited August 2011
    Options
    When did homosexuals become above criticism
  • bless the child
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Then those people are not rational people. Lol. I'm sure my words will get twisted later, but like I said - at it's CORE - it's the exact same struggle. ? just want us to keep that title as the most disenfranchised people in this countries history...even when no one is trying to take that away. SMH.

? need to relax.

What exactly are they fighting for?
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    but they're not.These ? rights groups are fighting a invisible war. Their main argument is not being able to get married, really dude ? The comparison is disrespectful and downplays what blacks actually went through by making it at all especially when comparing it to their ? fight. The only points I hear is of marriage and ? people can get killed just for being ? . Some white people get killed just for being white, as do blacks. Your local 7 eleven cashier cant walk through the airport without extra attention being paid to him. Asians are stuck with stereotypes of being good in math and being called chinks. White people are stuck with the perception of smelling like wet dogs. What in the world makes ? stand out from this group.

you're confusing 2 different issues...their fight for civil rights and them being too damn sensitive over certain comments being made in public are 2 different things...them fighting for the right for things like marriage, adoption, the right to not have "burn in hell ? " screamed at them those are basic civil rights and that's where the similarity is unless you're denying those things to be civil rights...yeah that's something that should be dealt with...now as for them being overly emotional thinking everytime somebody says "? " it's an insult to ? is a different argument/situation completely...
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    When did homosexuals become above criticism

Real talk. It's like ? ain't even thinking when they're saying the ? is the same.

By that logic, all discrimination is equal and there's nothing left to discuss.
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options

? need to relax.

and that is by far one of the dumbest things to want to lay claim to
  • bless the child
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Being ? has stopped many people from living, enjoying the same legal privileges that their countrymen/women have, not being incarcerated, not being assaulted etc.

Many, not all. ? are a minority to begin with so a few isolated incidents of mistreatment is minuscule in comparison to the struggle of blacks.
  • mryounggun
    edited August 2011
    Options
    What exactly are they fighting for?

To quote mysef from earlier in the thread , they are fighting to not be '...denied rights that should be their's under the constitution.'
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    Never seen a thread like this before.

But even tho it's been done, here's my two cents: Blacks and ? haven't in history and don't today have the exact same struggle, but they're both oppressed groups and if ? want to invoke the sentiment of the civil rights movement in their own struggle for equal rights I would think blacks would be supportive, insomuch as they've been through so much oppression themselves and would be honored to have laid the blueprint that helps another oppressed group. Imo the alternative position is the height of childishness.

good post...

i agree for the most part. just think it downplays the struggles of AAs past and present

maybe if LGBT community really wanted to get blacks to join their fight they would truly turn their movement into a civil rights movement by making racial injustices that occur today one of their platforms ....

and while ? should be given the right to marry and treated with respect, homosexuality is a morality issue more than anything else