blackrain wrote: »
    and that is by far one of the dumbest things to want to lay claim to

I agree....
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    Options
    7fIG wrote: »
    Real talk. It's like ? ain't even thinking when they're saying the ? is the same.

By that logic, all discrimination is equal and there's nothing left to discuss.

then why are some black americans today constantly saying they're fighting the same struggle as their ancestors when clearly they are not? either it's all equal or it's not...it can be equal when it's convenient to make your group look better
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    good post...

i agree for the most part. just think it downplays the struggles of AAs past and present

maybe if LGBT community really wanted to get blacks to join their fight they would truly turn their movement into a civil rights movement by making racial injustices that occur today one of their platforms ....

and while ? should be given the right to marry and treated with respect, homosexuality is a morality issue more than anything else

until it's actually scientifically proven how sexuality occurs in humans, this will always be the where the argument lies...
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    then why are some black americans today constantly saying they're fighting the same struggle as their ancestors when clearly they are not? either it's all equal or it's not...it can be equal when it's convenient to make your group look better

I agree with you and youngun on the point of basic civil rights in regards to ? , as do other activists such as Al Sharpton and many other prominent blacks in the community..However, the struggle for blacks in this country is still the same. Police harassment, incarceration, red-lining, the tea party, divestment, institutional racism and unemployment are still huge problems plaguing black America.

It's equal on a basic level, but not overall. ? have power in many industries.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Most of contemporary Black peoples struggles are a result of the struggles of the 19th century slaves. Just like most of the contemporary Caucasians success is the result of slavery.

"The events which transpired five thousand years ago;
    Five years ago or five minutes ago, have determined what will happen five minutes from now;
    five years from now or five thousand years from now.
    All history is a current event"
    ~ John Henrik Clarke
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    mryounggun wrote: »
    To quote mysef from earlier in the thread , they are fighting to not be '...denied rights that should be their's under the constitution.'

And these rights are?
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    but they're not.These ? rights groups are fighting a invisible war. Their main argument is not being able to get married, really dude ? The comparison is disrespectful and downplays what blacks actually went through by making it at all especially when comparing it to their ? fight. The only points I hear is of marriage and ? people can get killed just for being ? . Some white people get killed just for being white, as do blacks. Your local 7 eleven cashier cant walk through the airport without extra attention being paid to him. Asians are stuck with stereotypes of being good in math and being called chinks. White people are stuck with the perception of smelling like wet dogs. What in the world makes ? stand out from this group.

B, you just proved my point for me. SMH. Take a look back at what I actually said and you'll understand why 80% of that post is irrelevant.
  • garv
    edited August 2011
    Options

They are fighting many of the same struggles their ancestors faced, brothers are still getting killed unlawfully by the police, there still being denied jobs because of their skin color and their still the most impoverished race here and abroad, the struggle still remains the same and a token black president doesn't change that.
  • bless the child
    edited August 2011
    Options
    garv wrote: »
    "The events which transpired five thousand years ago;
    Five years ago or five minutes ago, have determined what will happen five minutes from now;
    five years from now or five thousand years from now.
    All history is a current event"
    ~ John Henrik Clarke

Real talk!

• Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Many, not all. ? are a minority to begin with so a few isolated incidents of mistreatment is minuscule in comparison to the struggle of blacks.

'Groups' don't have struggles, individuals do.
    until it's actually scientifically proven how sexuality occurs in humans, this will always be the where the argument lies...

Nothing is 'proven' in science but there's some evidence that exposure to certain prenatal hormones in the ? , combined with genetic predisposition, is responsible for sexual orientation. More than half of all Americans deny Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection which is one of the 5 basic principles of modern biology so it makes little difference what scientists discover about human sexuality.
  • mryounggun
    edited August 2011
    Options
    you're confusing 2 different issues...their fight for civil rights and them being too damn sensitive over certain comments being made in public are 2 different things...them fighting for the right for things like marriage, adoption, the right to not have "burn in hell ? " screamed at them those are basic civil rights and that's where the similarity is unless you're denying those things to be civil rights...yeah that's something that should be dealt with...now as for them being overly emotional thinking everytime somebody says "? " it's an insult to ? is a different argument/situation completely...

Good post, son. The ? seems like very simple logic, to me. The ? is checkers and ? are trying their best to turn it into chess.
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I agree with you and youngun on the point of basic civil rights in regards to ? , as do other activists such as Al Sharpton and many other prominent blacks in the community..However, the struggle for blacks in this country is still the same. Police harassment, incarceration, red-lining, the tea party, divestment, institutional racism and unemployment are still huge problems plaguing black America.

It's equal on a basic level, but not overall. ? have power in many industries.

see that's just it...i don't see it as the struggle being the same as it was 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 years ago... for example I can walk outside right now and I can actually say "hello" to a white person...I do that 60 years ago and I may be hung...yes there's still issues that affect us today but it is in no way like what those before us went through...
  • mryounggun
    edited August 2011
    Options
    And these rights are?

The right to get married in most states. The right to adopt in most states. Until very recently, the right to serve openly in the military. Etc. I could go on. But what's the point?
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    They are fighting many of the same struggles their ancestors faced, brothers are still getting killed unlawfully by the police, there still being denied jobs because of their skin color and their still the most impoverished race here and abroad, the struggle still remains the same and a token black president doesn't change that.

who mentioned a black president changing anything? and no...black american ancestors fought to have the right to sit in the same places of service as white folks...you tell me the last time you organized or went to a sit-in in order to make sure black people were served? you organized and bus boycotts lately? been told "No you can't shop here" and it been legal to do so? and please learn how to use "they're, their, and there" correctly...you been ? it up the whole thread....
  • garv
    edited August 2011
    Options
    who mentioned a black president changing anything? and no...black american ancestors fought to have the right to sit in the same places of service as white folks...you tell me the last time you organized or went to a sit-in in order to make sure black people were served? you organized and bus boycotts lately? been told "No you can't shop here" and it been legal to do so? and please learn how to use "they're, their, and there" correctly...you been ? it up the whole thread....

The struggle is still the same, blacks still have to organize marches and protests everytime a black brother is unlawfully killed by a police man, just because the racism is more covert does not mean it isn't still apparent, and yeah excuse my laziness.
  • musicology1985
    edited August 2011
    Options
    see that's just it...i don't see it as the struggle being the same as it was 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 years ago... for example I can walk outside right now and I can actually say "hello" to a white person...I do that 60 years ago and I may be hung...yes there's still issues that affect us today but it is in no way like what those before us went through...

even though lunch counters and public schools were desegregated, the pocketbooks never were because most of our leaders never lived to see the plan all the way through.

so even though at the time it seemed like we won, many of our systematic problems still persist til this day in all classes. we still have work to do.

once ? get marriage approved as well as other basic civil rights nationwide that you and young mentioned, the struggle is over. for us, after 1969 it just entered another faze.
  • bless the child
    edited August 2011
    Options

Of course its not the same struggle. Its not the same because the European accomplished what he set out to accomplish. If there was still an front opposed to the ideology of the Caucasian the tension today would be the same as it was 50, 60, 70 years ago.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Options
    ? rights are more than marriage and serving in the military. Bigger issues are about workplace protection -- in other words not being discriminated against in hiring, promotions, etc.
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The struggle is still the same, blacks still have to organize marches and protests everytime a black brother is unlawfully killed by a police man, just because the racism is more covert does not mean it isn't still apparent, and yeah excuse my laziness.

I know it's still apparent, it's just not like it was 2-3 generations ago...it's just not...and let's be real...a good portion of black americans don't even really have but so many outright racist experiences in their lives...I remember a thread being made on here once questioning that exact same thing about how much racism people run into on a daily basis and the majority said little to none at all...covert racism is still racism yes, and it still NEEDS to be dealt with...but i've got serious doubts that anybody posting on the IC has had a comparable racist experiences like that someone born in the early 1900's most likely had multiple times during their life...
  • mryounggun
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    ? rights are more than marriage and serving in the military. Bigger issues are about workplace protection -- in other words not being discriminated against in hiring, promotions, etc.

While I agree 100% with this ? , I was talking more about institutionalized ? . There are or were until very recently, documented laws and polices forbidding ? marriage, openly serving in the military. Gotta overcome systemic, oppressive ? that is sanctioned by the government before you can tackle those other things that are just common practice but have no basis in documented law.
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    even though lunch counters and public schools were desegregated, the pocketbooks never were because most of our leaders never lived to see the plan all the way through.

so even though at the time it seemed like we won, many of our systematic problems still persist til this day in all classes. we still have work to do.

once ? get marriage approved as well as other basic civil rights nationwide that you and young mentioned, the struggle is over. for us, after 1969 it just entered another faze.

that struggle won't be over...that is just the legal aspect of it...you still have to combat the things in society that help to create and ensure the mindset that homosexuals are the ultimate deviants of society and should be burned in hell...that being ? is such an abnormality that people should have it beaten out of them...those aren't things the law/government can dictate...just as with desegregation they could put blacks/whites in school together but they couldn't force people to mentally rid themselves of their racist attitudes
  • musicology1985
    edited August 2011
    Options
    that struggle won't be over...that is just the legal aspect of it...you still have to combat the things in society that help to create and ensure the mindset that homosexuals are the ultimate deviants of society and should be burned in hell...that being ? is such an abnormality that people should have it beaten out of them...those aren't things the law/government can dictate...just as with desegregation they could put blacks/whites in school together but they couldn't force people to mentally rid themselves of their racist attitudes

I just can't agree with this, because when I look at Hollywood, the Music Industry, Fashion Industry, Event Planning Industry and Cosmetic/Modeling Industry and Politics, I see many ? with the power to override the decisions of any black man or women.

Yes some ? are the victims of abuse and they should have all basic civil rights, but I see the whole situation as being blown out of proportion.
  • musicology1985
    edited August 2011
    Options
    blackrain just look at Juan Williams (a black Panamanian American such as yourself) and all of the work that he's done for Fox News and he still does not have his own show. all classes of blacks still have to fight or we will continue to lose more and more.
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I just can't agree with this, because when I look at Hollywood, the Music Industry, Fashion Industry, Event Planning Industry and Cosmetic/Modeling Industry and Politics, I see many ? with the power to override the decisions of any black man or women.

Yes some ? are the victims of abuse and they should have all basic civil rights, but I see the whole situation as being blown out of proportion.

there are plenty of ? black men and women so that comment there makes no sense...and having power in the entertainment industry doesn't mean ? when it comes to civil rights...the government>>>>the fashion world...the government>>>>hollywood...the government>>>>the music industry...there's no way those industries have more power/pull than the US government...the government decides "Being ? is mental disorder" again guess what...not ? making a movie, some clothing lines, and a cd can do to change that...
  • blackrain
    edited August 2011
    Options
    blackrain just look at Juan Williams (a black Panamanian American such as yourself) and all of the work that he's done for Fox News and he still does not have his own show. all classes of blacks still have to fight or we will continue to lose more and more.

when did I ever say or hint at anything different?