Which basketball skill is hardest to acquire?

Options

Comments

• ShawnCoonery
    ShawnCoonery Members Posts: 211
    edited October 2011
    Options
    exactly my point about team defense being more difficult

exactly, that's why it's more difficult to do team defense than individual IMO

cause even in man, a really good player can easily break thru a double team................and if you that nice, at least 3 defenders will have to challenge you whenever you touch the ball

it's hard to coach/teach a team to deal with that

thats more of a scheme issue than a skill issue though…you can have the best zone and regardless ur going to give up buckets to a shooting squad its weak spot of that scheme not the fault of players playing the scheme correctly
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    detcatinva wrote: »
    naw skill is muh needed in the post. dwight and lebron got all the size in the world and no post game

lebron has a good post game nothing great....he rarely uses it cause he usually blows right by the defender off the dribble...you play to your strengths

playmaking/court vision by far takes the cake

and i think people underestimate rebounding...there are player with all the size and athleticism and still struggle to grab boards

ball handling is great to have, but its doesn't necessarily have the impact on a game the other skills posted have...... IMO
    good thread though...this joint bout to go on for days
  • ShawnCoonery
    edited October 2011
    Options
    detcatinva wrote: »
    yea but that is mostly attributed to no other centers in the league as athletic as him. In Lebron's case u have so many athletic wing players to guard him that can stop him in the post because he has no skill on the post

I haven't seen that honestly…imo and I hate LBJ the only person to really stop LBJ is LBJ…and you're right about Dwight but thats what Im saying dwight needs no skill to dominate because he's bigger and more physically talented than everyone else…put him in the post with someone who is as equally physically gifted as he is and he wouldn't be the beast he is right now
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    lebron has a good post game nothing great....he rarely uses it cause he usually blows right by the defender off the dribble...you play to your strengths

playmaking/court vision by far takes the cake

and i think people underestimate rebounding...there are player with all the size and athleticism and still struggle to grab boards

ball handling is great to have, but its doesn't necessarily have the impact on a game the other skills posted have...... IMO
    good thread though...this joint bout to go on for days

lebron got a good what ?

stop playing boy
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    lebron got a good what ?

stop playing boy

the fukk are you talking about
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    thats more of a scheme issue than a skill issue though…you can have the best zone and regardless ur going to give up buckets to a shooting squad its weak spot of that scheme not the fault of players playing the scheme correctly

not really, cause a great scheme isn't going to compensate for mofos who don't know how to effectively defend together

especially if those players don't know each others' strengths and weaknesses well

and then mofos are forgetting about transition defense, a great scheme and high effort is not enough to stop an offense, even if the offense is just mediocre
  • R.D.
    edited October 2011
    Options
    the fukk are you talking about

lebron got a good post game ?

dont spread those lies
  • R.D.
    edited October 2011
    Options
    not really, cause a great scheme isn't going to compensate for mofos who don't know how to effectively defend together

especially if those players don't know each others' strengths and weaknesses well

and then mofos are forgetting about transition defense, a great scheme and high effort is not enough to stop an offense, even if the offense is just mediocre
    nothing you're saying points to team defense being harder than individual defense. If a ? cant defend, he just can't defend but its easier for him to play in a zone defensive scheme than having to stop someone his self
  • ShawnCoonery
    edited October 2011
    Options

come on bruh…you acting like everyone doesn't know the counter for a good zone D isn't shooting and passing…and the majority of transition buckets come from lack of hustle not lack of skill i.e. people not getting back on D…now you're talking about a avg offense>>>good defense stop it B you know better
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    nothing you're saying points to team defense being harder than individual defense. If a ? cant defend, he just can't defend but its easier for him to play in a zone defensive scheme than having to stop someone his self

didn't somebody say it's easy to break a good zone (team) defense?

obviously you need more skill to defend as a team than an individual defender
    come on bruh…you acting like everyone doesn't know the counter for a good zone D isn't shooting and passing…and the majority of transition buckets come from lack of hustle not lack of skill i.e. people not getting back on D…now you're talking about a avg offense>>>good defense stop it B you know better

no......

avg offense >>>>great scheme and high effort without the skill needed to execute a team defense

at worst the offense would gain a foul off of you

at best, they can still get a good shot off
  • windycity2117
    windycity2117 Members Posts: 9,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Play making not everyone can see the court well.Fellow by a close 2nd defense.Everything else you can work on by yourself at the court.If look at the history of the nba there are not alot of oscar robertson's,Jason Kidd 'smagic johnson's, john stockton's,or steve nash.Plus point gurds these days score more
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Play making not everyone can see the court well.Fellow by a close 2nd defense.Everything else you can work on by yourself at the court.If look at the history of the nba there are not alot of oscar robertson's,Jason Kidd 'smagic johnson's, john stockton's,or steve nash.Plus point gurds these days score more

Everyone doesnt want to see the court it really insnt that hard.. we for me i see things in advance but even beyond that its common sense but people see glory in taking the shot... (notice i didnt say scoring) To be a great playmaker .. you need to take risk, have patience,be willing, know where to hit the players where they are most effective and have some foresight.. .. you either got it or you dont..... INSTINCTS its more of an intangbile that leads to tangible gains.. compared to the other categories
  • windycity2117
    windycity2117 Members Posts: 9,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Everyone doesnt want to see the court it really insnt that hard.. we for me i see things in advance but even beyond that its common sense but people see glory in taking the shot... (notice i didnt say scoring) To be a great playmaker .. you need to take risk, have patience,be willing, know where to hit the players where they are most effective and have some foresight.. .. you either got it or you dont..... INSTINCTS its more of an intangbile that leads to tangible gains.. compared to the other categories

I see what your saying and i agree with you
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Jumpshot, basketball IQ, and playmaking ability.
  • jek
    jek Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    The Play making court vision Steve Nash type of passing skills easily!! The other stuff can be worked one vigorously until you get Atleast a lil better but court vision is kinda something you either have or you don't. You can go to any court in America and work on you own at post skills, work on your J. Good Defence is all about playing to your opponent's weakness but it's hard to practice mid court alley oops by yourself. You have to find somebody that dunks then get them to put in time with you. The rest of those catagories you can pretty much work on solo on the old backyard hoop
  • Just2C
    Just2C Members Posts: 931 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    shooting (free-throw or jumpshot) either you can shoot or you cant. if you cant shoot by time you go pro your in trouble.

playmaking is just instict and natural talent/ decision making
  • R.D.
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Play making is not really a skill.

You cant just tell a player to stay in the gym late and practice his play making
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    The jumpshot IMO. Simply because technique isn't the only thing that can affect your shot. Fatigue, defense, range, and shot selection all are factors that you have to figure out in order to be a good shooter.
    Just2C wrote: »
    shooting (free-throw or jumpshot) either you can shoot or you cant. if you cant shoot by time you go pro your in trouble.

playmaking is just instict and natural talent/ decision making

Solid posts. You can tell a lot of these dudes didn't hoop at a competitive level saying ? like handle. You don't even need handle to play basketball unless you're the PG. Handle at a high level is about how you leverage your body so you get by your opponent. That's it. Everything else is some extra street ball ? .

What you need to make it to the next level is a solid jump shot. Shooting off the dribble with a hand in your face, Shooting over tall defenders, Being able to shoot set shots, Shooting off of screens, Shooting 3's (NBA 3's), free throws etc
  • jek
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Yeah but I know a lot more people that had bad jumpers that got their j' s much more consistent and better than I knew people with no passing playmaking skills all of a sudden become Deron Williams with dime dropping on the blacktop or ymca. My shot got better just Playin wit people bigger than me that wouldn't let me get in the paint. I had to learn how to nail my J's where I was from. Maybe that's why I don't feel like learning how to shoot is that hard if you around the right personell and practice vigorously. There are not even that many play making drills you can do on your own to practice getting your passing and playmaking accurate
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Interesting responses and discussion.....
  • ShawnCoonery
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Solid posts. You can tell a lot of these dudes didn't hoop at a competitive level saying ? like handle. You don't even need handle to play basketball unless you're the PG. Handle at a high level is about how you leverage your body so you get by your opponent. That's it. Everything else is some extra street ball ? .

What you need to make it to the next level is a solid jump shot. Shooting off the dribble with a hand in your face, Shooting over tall defenders, Being able to shoot set shots, Shooting off of screens, Shooting 3's (NBA 3's), free throws etc

never played ball past rec league post…ball handling and passing are two of the most important skills in ball bruh…technically speaking u don't need to be able to shoot from the outside to win games
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Donaghy.jpg&sa=X&ei=R2CqTpDtHYH6mAWQ1_jgDg&ved=0CA0Q8wc&usg=AFQjCNGQvko0aNRjQOS31rROoxX5EJR9dA

If you can acquire the skill to have this guy in your corner you will be very successful in the NBA. lol
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    you can't really teach play making but you can teach someone to be a better PG, its usually about instinct, position, willingness, and keeping the tempo of the game. an untimely pass can mess up everything.
    I would say the hardest skill to develop is dribbling and shooting form. off hand dribbling and developing range takes a quite of bit of time but it can be done. its also hard to teach technique because nobody really shoots the same. there are different mechanics but form is hard to teach if you are basing it off of a certain form.
    ive always been a great shooter even when i had a horrible form, it just takes time and effort just like anything else.
    been playing ball since 6th grade and as you go higher in comp passing and ball handling become more and more important.
  • jek
    edited October 2011
    Options
    being clutch, hitting clutch shots, late game steals/blocks. clutch gene.

That's exactly what I came back to this thread to say and you beat me to it. That's definitely some have it or don't ? . It shoulda definately been a topic. I knew guys who could actually do the other stuff and could not hit a game winner to save they life. Then I played with people that sucked at like 3 or 4 of the other things but had ice water in the veins when the game is tied.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Shooting form is irrelevant i mean if you make shots shooting it off the back of your hand it goes in it goes in..

Clutch is intangible that leads to tangible results.. its not a skill

The most important thing to have in your arsenal is a mid range.. i dont have handle like that but i can get by.. my left isnt strong but i do certain things to where its not a hinderance..