Which basketball skill is hardest to acquire?

Options

Comments

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    jek wrote: »
    Yeah but I know a lot more people that had bad jumpers that got their j' s much more consistent and better than I knew people with no passing playmaking skills all of a sudden become Deron Williams with dime dropping on the blacktop or ymca. My shot got better just Playin wit people bigger than me that wouldn't let me get in the paint. I had to learn how to nail my J's where I was from. Maybe that's why I don't feel like learning how to shoot is that hard if you around the right personell and practice vigorously. There are not even that many play making drills you can do on your own to practice getting your passing and playmaking accurate

The OP said elite level. That to me means at least D1 college basketball (not necessarily the teams you see on tv). Y'all talking from recreation leagues and ? where EVERYONE sucks. I'm talking playing against dudes who will knock down damn near every shot if you leave them open, and games where the center and power forwards are actually 6'8 and taller.

Try shooting against one of those fast dudes who's in your shirt the whole game, or one of the tall ? who's just as fast as you. Shooting against an aggressive zone, or an elite 1v1 defender takes by far the most skill.

There's a reason why dudes with jumpers are by far the hardest people to guard. People with the street ball handle y'all talking almost ALWAYS lack a jump shot, and the playmaker needs talent around him to be effective.
    never played ball past rec league post…ball handling and passing are two of the most important skills in ball bruh…technically speaking u don't need to be able to shoot from the outside to win games

Other way around. In organized leagues you don't need handle. If you're good at scoring, the coach will set up a play where you roll of a screen or step back off of a flare screen.

If someone is playing you tight, you curl off the screen, if they playing you loose you pull-up or step back with a flare screen. At the end of the day, handle isn't important UNLESS you're the point guard. Just turn your back to the opponent if they try to take the ball from you, all that hotsauce ? is not necessary.

I can see right now, you one of those dude who think crossing dudes over gets you points. Or the guys who wants to challenge everyone in a head-to-head battle. That ? will get you tore up if you play anyone with any real skill. Crossing dudes over face up only works on bums and dudes you're faster than. The higher up you go, the faster they get.
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Ball handling..

Thats probably my weakest

Defense is more of a want to and a desire.. its really not hard to do.. .. to be great at yeah.But giving an effort is easy..

• ShawnCoonery
    ShawnCoonery Members Posts: 211
    edited October 2011
    Options
    The OP said elite level. That to me means at least D1 college basketball (not necessarily the teams you see on tv). Y'all talking from recreation leagues and ? where EVERYONE sucks. I'm talking playing against dudes who will knock down damn near every shot if you leave them open, and games where the center and power forwards are actually 6'8 and taller.

Try shooting against one of those fast dudes who's in your shirt the whole game, or one of the tall ? who's just as fast as you. Shooting against an aggressive zone, or an elite 1v1 defender takes by far the most skill.

There's a reason why dudes with jumpers are by far the hardest people to guard. People with the street ball handle y'all talking almost ALWAYS lack a jump shot, and the playmaker needs talent around him to be effective.

Other way around. In organized leagues you don't need handle. If you're good at scoring, the coach will set up a play where you roll of a screen or step back off of a flare screen.

If someone is playing you tight, you curl off the screen, if they playing you loose you pull-up or step back with a flare screen. At the end of the day, handle isn't important UNLESS you're the point guard. Just turn your back to the opponent if they try to take the ball from you, all that hotsauce ? is not necessary.

I can see right now, you one of those dude who think crossing dudes over gets you points. Or the guys who wants to challenge everyone in a head-to-head battle. That ? will get you tore up if you play anyone with any real skill. Crossing dudes over face up only works on bums and dudes you're faster than. The higher up you go, the faster they get.

Bruh…u not about to win this debate…I played juco,D-1 and in some small euro and american leagues…so what u talking is nonsense cuz i can tell you've never hooped at a high level…u not about to tell me you don't need handle…again you can win a game without even shooting a single J…you tryna tell me u can win a game without being able to dribble…hell look at all the teams without shooters that win vs the team with shooters that do…I mean look at all the elite shooters with that got limited burn or got exposed because they couldn't do anything else…I'm talking bout guys that could shoot the lights out…now think of all the ones that were elite shooters and scorers in their time…they weren't elite just because they could come off the screen and shoot…which is a hard skill to learn…not because they could knock down open shots…were talking elite players D-1 and up the majority even bigs can consistently knock down open shots from range…they were great because they could create their own shots…there are way more guys that can just shoot than guys that can shoot and dribble…how many runs you've seen in your hood or open gym with guys that can't do anything but shoot…can't play D,board,handle nothing…how often did that guy unless he was a lights out shooter get skipped over for a guy with an ok J with good handles…a shooter only brings one element to a game ala JJ reddick who was a lights out guy at Duke but was exposed in the NBA for being as one dimensional as you can be he's gotten better now…but a decent ball handler can get to the rack,create pressure on the D,often pass, create serious mismatches,draw fouls,manage the game,

as for your analysis of my game you are completely wrong: in fact I'm a combo guard with an ridiculously effective mid range game…I have NBA style handle which means I don't believe in taking unnecessary dribbles…I believe that if you have the ball in your hands and you don't have a play on the D with in 3-5 dribbles then u need to give it up…I am also very good at moving without the ball coming off curls and screens in any area and knocking down the mid range J…I get to the line a lot too…I used to play above the rim a lot more but I had a complete tear of my left knee(cal,mcl,and pcl)…twice!!! still I had enough game and athleticism to land me on teams in lil bs pro leagues in the States,Mexico and various spots in Europe…I still rock the rim but Im very wary of going up in a crowded paint like I used to because of my past injuries…Im also a very good perimeter defender and I get a lot of boards for my size and position…again I hooped at a JUCO,then a mid major D-1 school and in various pro leagues…
  • Kame
    Kame Members Posts: 24,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ballhandling... always wanted to be nice at it.. shouldve worked at it more as a kid
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • justforkicks
    justforkicks Members Posts: 23
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Defense is the hardest skill to acquire. Aint nobody in the pro's came into the league with perfect defensive skill or even close to it. You see shooters, ball handlers, and big men post up dudes but you hardly see someone enter the pros with a defensive background. Which leads me to think that defense would be the hardest skill to acquire.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited October 2011
    Options
    u not about to tell me you don't need handle…again you can win a game without even shooting a single J…you tryna tell me u can win a game without being able to dribble…hell look at all the teams without shooters that win vs the team with shooters that do…I mean look at all the elite shooters with that got limited burn or got exposed because they couldn't do anything else…I'm talking bout guys that could shoot the lights out…now think of all the ones that were elite shooters and scorers in their time…they weren't elite just because they could come off the screen and shoot…which is a hard skill to learn…not because they could knock down open shots…were talking elite players D-1 and up the majority even bigs can consistently knock down open shots from range…they were great because they could create their own shots…there are way more guys that can just shoot than guys that can shoot and dribble…how many runs you've seen in your hood or open gym with guys that can't do anything but shoot…can't play D,board,handle nothing…how often did that guy unless he was a lights out shooter get skipped over for a guy with an ok J with good handles…a shooter only brings one element to a game ala JJ reddick who was a lights out guy at Duke but was exposed in the NBA for being as one dimensional as you can be he's gotten better now…but a decent ball handler can get to the rack,create pressure on the D,often pass, create serious mismatches,draw fouls,manage the game,

as for your analysis of my game you are completely wrong: in fact I'm a combo guard with an ridiculously effective mid range game…I have NBA style handle which means I don't believe in taking unnecessary dribbles…I believe that if you have the ball in your hands and you don't have a play on the D with in 3-5 dribbles then u need to give it up…I am also very good at moving without the ball coming off curls and screens in any area and knocking down the mid range J…I get to the line a lot too…I used to play above the rim a lot more but I had a complete tear of my left knee(cal,mcl,and pcl)…twice!!! still I had enough game and athleticism to land me on teams in lil bs pro leagues in the States,Mexico and various spots in Europe…I still rock the rim but Im very wary of going up in a crowded paint like I used to because of my past injuries…Im also a very good perimeter defender and I get a lot of boards for my size and position…again I hooped at a JUCO,then a mid major D-1 school and in various pro leagues…

All you're doing is taking everything to the extreme. Just because someone has a jumper doesn't mean they lack handle, defense etc.

Fact is developing a pure jump shot is the hardest skill. I'm from NY, and I can't tell you how many dudes have elite handle, great play making skills, but no jumper. Actually, yes I can. ALL OF THEM! I've only met a few dudes who had real jumpers and they're in the league right now.

Look at all the wack dudes in the league who are there just because they have jumpers via Jason Kapono, Daniel Gibson, JJ Reddick, Adam Morrison etc. That shows you that a jumper is the most important and hardest skill to learn. Nobody picks you on an NBA team because you have elite handle and passing ability. If that was the case, half of the dudes on AND1 would be in the league

Regarding your style of play, I guarantee you if you had a lights out jumper, you would have made the league.
    ballhandling... always wanted to be nice at it.. shouldve worked at it more as a kid

If you want handle just dribble around the block with your head up, and practice a couple of go-to-moves. ? is not hard at all.
  • ShawnCoonery
    edited October 2011
    Options
    All you're doing is taking everything to the extreme. Just because someone has a jumper doesn't mean they lack handle, defense etc.

Fact is developing a pure jump shot is the hardest skill. I'm from NY, and I can't tell you how many dudes have elite handle, great play making skills, but no jumper. Actually, yes I can. ALL OF THEM! I've only met a few dudes who had real jumpers and they're in the league right now.

Look at all the wack dudes in the league who are there just because they have jumpers via Jason Kapono, Daniel Gibson, JJ Reddick, Adam Morrison etc. That shows you that a jumper is the most important and hardest skill to learn. Nobody picks you on an NBA team because you have elite handle and passing ability. If that was the case, half of the dudes on AND1 would be in the league

Regarding your style of play, I guarantee you if you had a lights out jumper, you would have made the league.

If you want handle just dribble around the block with your head up, and practice a couple of go-to-moves. ? is not hard at all.

The fact that u said the bolded and think that AND1 cats have elite handles makes your entire argument null and void…lol@ that self ether

lmao ? don't make the league because of handles and passing…word to Mugsy Bouges,Terrell Brandon and Mark Jackson to name a few

regarding my game…u missed the fact that I said I was damaged goods and the fact that I have actually played in various pro leagues making decent money for a 29yr old undersized sg/pg with bad knees...I actually turned down an offer this yr to play in Europe for a lil over 12k a month plus living stipend…FOH keep commenting on other ? u thought had game cuz they fried u but really didn't…ole this ? from the hood got game ass ? lol
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Co-sign like a ? on that all you need is 3-5 dribbles otherwise you are doing to much and making it easy on the defense.. because please believe at least two ? are gonna be standing around lookin at you like give me the ? ball.. word to one of those ? being me
  • ShawnCoonery
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Co-sign like a ? on that all you need is 3-5 dribbles otherwise you are doing to much and making it easy on the defense.. because please believe at least two ? are gonna be standing around lookin at you like give me the ? ball.. word to one of those ? being me

and I'm going to be the other one
  • thatni99ajahmal
    thatni99ajahmal Members Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Ball handling leading????
    Jump shooting is the hardest if we talkin a very consistent jump shoot..
  • jek
    jek Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

There's a reason why dudes with jumpers are by far the hardest people to guard. People with the street ball handle y'all talking almost ALWAYS lack a jump shot, and the playmaker needs talenjut around him to be effective.

Lol at the fact that you don't think some D 1 guys play ball outdoors. All of them guys you talking about started somewhere. I played a lil JC ball but I've played in many leagues that had Real good shooters, passers, 7 footers wit post moves and all that. My cousin play D 1 ball, he's finna be the starting point guard for Michigan State this year, his name is Keith Applin # 11. I ain't just been playing with and against some bums. That's how I know the jumpshots can be improved so that's not the the most important. Everybody ain't smart with the ball in terms of passing. You got a point about the playmaker needing finishers to be affective but those guys don't get to look good and be on sportcenter with spectacular alley oops and get the perfect passes on the backdoor cuts and pick and rolls without the playmaker not turning the ball over cuz they don't know how to read the passing lanes. Finishers need playmakers just as much as playmakers need finishers.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    jek wrote: »
    Lol at the fact that you don't think some D 1 guys play ball outdoors. All of them guys you talking about started somewhere. I played a lil JC ball but I've played in many leagues that had Real good shooters, passers, 7 footers wit post moves and all that. My cousin play D 1 ball, he's finna be the starting point guard for Michigan State this year, his name is Keith Applin # 11. I ain't just been playing with and against some bums. That's how I know the jumpsuit can be improved so that's not the the most important. Everybody ain't smart with the ball in terms of passing. You got a point about the playmaker needing finishers to be affective but those guys don't get to look good and be on sportcenter with spectacular alley oops and get the perfect passes on the backdoor cuts and pick and rolls without the playmaker not turning the ball over cuz they don't know how to read the passing lanes. Finishers need playmakers just as much as playmakers need finishers.

yeah that ? is a beast seen him play a couple times. never played against him though bc i didnt go to school in the city but played in a few tourneys every summer.
    but c/s this post
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • ImGettingOld
    ImGettingOld Members Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Being consistent is the hardest part
  • NothingButTheTruth
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Being consistent is the hardest part

This. Having a consistent jump shot is by far the hardest. SMH @ these dudes who can't dribble with they left hand or do a simple crossover. That takes little to no time to learn.
    Ibex wrote: »
    Post game...

Post game is on the same level as learning dribble moves. Just practice it, and you get it down in no time. The problem is people just don't want to practice it because it's boring.
  • IamNumberOne
    IamNumberOne Members Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    the answer is stamina
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options

Co-sign on both points.

I don't get how ball handling is in the lead either. All u need to know is how to use your left and right hand AND how to use your body (as a shield).

Shooting is the most difficult skill to acquire, although I won't say by far, but it's a good margin between any other skill set. Especially the mid range jumper, it really is a lost art. I know and see so many dudes in the gym that got a nice lil' 3 ball, but they have no pull up j, no catch and shoot/stop and pop, no fade, no nothing. Nikka's just stand @ the 3 point line waitin' to jack. lol..... That ? is sad.
    And btw, some posters earlier were talking about LeBron not having a post game. IMO, I think his is slightly above average. I don't understand why his ass hasn't put forth effort to work on post moves b/c he's the ultimate mismatch on the block. To tell ya'll the truth, if he had a good/great jump hook, it would be OVER!
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    id say post game cuz its the only thing that CANT come natural. you literally have to learn the footwork, steps, moves and fakes.
    You have to devote urself to playing backwards. in an athletic up and down game. Most things about the post you have to learn on your own away from the actual flow of a game for it to be effective. Most of the other things you can learn just from the love, practice and fluidity of the game
  • RumBoxTen
    RumBoxTen Members Posts: 187
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I agree with what ShawnC said but I gotta go with shooting. Anybody can shoot a jump shot but to be a pure shooter( mid-range+) takes a lot more dedication than the others listed. The others kinda blend in with each other. With all things equal there is just way more modifications involved in getting an effortless shot than working on your handle or post game.
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    jumpshot is the correct answer, its the one thing that can keep you employed in the nba once your athletecism weens
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    id say post game cuz its the only thing that CANT come natural. you literally have to learn the footwork, steps, moves and fakes.
    You have to devote urself to playing backwards. in an athletic up and down game. Most things about the post you have to learn on your own away from the actual flow of a game for it to be effective. Most of the other things you can learn just from the love, practice and fluidity of the game

You dont have to have more than 3 moves to be good in the post.. and most importantly you need to learn how to use your body.. its really not that hard to do..

Im talking about under the basket.. mid post you still dont see too many people have an arsenal of move they can goto turn and face. jab.. up fake.. and turn around jumper..

like i mentioned before.. i gave reasons earlier.. dribbling is harder..from learning to dribble with your off hand to applying the certain moves.. again people do too much when it comes to dribbling subtly, deception and control are the most important things..imo when it comes to dribbling.. a nasty crossover is great and all but if you can change your pace.. utilized hesitations and what not all that hotsauce ? aint gonna fly.. if you cant "handle" you wont have much success
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    You dont have to have more than 3 moves to be good in the post.. and most importantly you need to learn how to use your body.. its really not that hard to do..

Im talking about under the basket.. mid post you still dont see too many people have an arsenal of move they can goto turn and face. jab.. up fake.. and turn around jumper..

like i mentioned before.. i gave reasons earlier.. dribbling is harder..from learning to dribble with your off hand to applying the certain moves.. again people do too much when it comes to dribbling subtly, deception and control are the most important things..imo when it comes to dribbling.. a nasty crossover is great and all but if you can change your pace.. utilized hesitations and what not all that hotsauce ? aint gonna fly.. if you cant "handle" you wont have much success

dribbling is simple though, its usually the 1st skill taught to a basketball player (? its one of the first things you do with a ball period)
    people complicate dribbling, but its really just running and bouncing a ball.
    u only need to go from point a to b and to learn how to shoot off it.
    people put too much streetball ? into it and say thats good handle.
    it isnt
    good handle is just being able to bounce the ball while keeping the defender on the opposite side of your body
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    jumpshot (some folk no matter how hard they try cant shoot and other make great improvements) dribbling with ur left hand.... look at how many guys are great players but if u make them go left they either have to pass or shoot a pull up j.
  • ShawnCoonery
    edited October 2011
    Options
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    dribbling is simple though, its usually the 1st skill taught to a basketball player (? its one of the first things you do with a ball period)
    people complicate dribbling, but its really just running and bouncing a ball.
    u only need to go from point a to b and to learn how to shoot off it.
    people put too much streetball ? into it and say thats good handle.
    it isnt
    good handle is just being able to bounce the ball while keeping the defender on the opposite side of your body

stop it right ? now

I agree that people put too much street ? into ball handling…but I'm talking about college and pro level handles….u can't even do 90% of those moves legally so leave them out the discussion…
    Ball handling were talking about controlling the pace of the game,the flow,creating distance, mismatches,scoring opp for u and ur teammates,the type of game u play,the kinds of shots u get, general floor generalship…and contrary to popular belief its not just a PG job to handling the ball…how many bigs u know are a liability because they can handle the ball down low…how many scorers you know get shut down or reduced to forcing bad shots because they can't create their own shots or create space with the ball?