Which basketball skill is hardest to acquire?

Options

Comments

• ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    jumpshot is the correct answer, its the one thing that can keep you employed in the nba once your athletecism weens

jumpshooting is not that hard, if you have the liberty to spend most of the summer shooting...by fall ball you should be a decent shooter PROVIDED you know your range and you dont think you're ray allen and you trying to pull up for 3s every chance you get. M.johnson, karl malone and U.Halselm...now i know these are pro players..but off the look of thier forms..their forms are are beyond wack, but have/had mastered the mid range jumper....just work on it

ish if you play pick up ball in the gym there's always some old stiff white guy who cant do ish and you lay off him and his jumper be wet, he wont dee you but he will jay u up quick, then add insult to injury the bank shot he's butter with it too...personnally from what i know...jump shooting is pretty damn easy to learn.

Dribbling is hard, (mastering the dribble)..and a few have said...if you dribbling for more then 3-5 times...u ucking up the flow....word to that..one of the best quotes in here!
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ? on here saying all you need is basic dribbles. Hell Naw ? better above average dribble against me I play pressure DFF, ill make a ? make a bad decision if all he got is basic dribbles

? with basic dribbles would just pick up the ball when pressured..

But my answer is shooting cuz it takes a hell of a lot pratice over a number of years.
  • Shizlansky
    edited October 2011
    Options
    left handed layup...its crazy to see dudes who have a killer first step that can go to the left but cant finish with the left hand...

I was thinking that too.. got a home boy with mad handles and quick first step. Can't finish with the left though.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    ? on here saying all you need is basic dribbles. Hell Naw ? better above average dribble against me I play pressure DFF, ill make a ? make a bad decision if all he got is basic dribbles

? with basic dribbles would just pick up the ball when pressured..

But my answer is shooting cuz it takes a hell of a lot pratice over a number of years.

Im not a great "handler" if im pressed ill pullup.. back up act like im forcing right and go left..i can do that much all you gotta do is make the defense react /overreact me not having a left hand hasnt greatly hampered me.. what i do alot of the time.. when i dont forget is play from the left side of the court so i have all the rest of the court to my disposal but its a natural inclination for me to stay on the right side
  • ghost!
    ghost! Members Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    left handed layup......

Man that ish use to ? me back in high school!...I honestly dont even know how i made some of the high school teams i made...my left hand layups were horrible...ish going to my left was horrible in general! Thank ? i have improved!
  • nycest_1
    nycest_1 Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
    stop it right ? now

I agree that people put too much street ? into ball handling…but I'm talking about college and pro level handles….u can't even do 90% of those moves legally so leave them out the discussion…
    Ball handling were talking about controlling the pace of the game,the flow,creating distance, mismatches,scoring opp for u and ur teammates,the type of game u play,the kinds of shots u get, general floor generalship…and contrary to popular belief its not just a PG job to handling the ball…how many bigs u know are a liability because they can handle the ball down low…how many scorers you know get shut down or reduced to forcing bad shots because they can't create their own shots or create space with the ball?

thank you for proving my point. magic johnson had basic handle and pretty much did exactly what i described and is regarded as a top 3 pg.
    its a basic function.
    you are reffering to IQ and game management and not handle, they are 2 completely different things.

let me also prove my point again by saying that the entire defensive strategy any player or coach has for guarding someone is indeed determined by how well the other players shoots and what range they can shoot from.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Options
  • ShawnCoonery
    ShawnCoonery Members Posts: 211
    edited October 2011
    Options
    thank you for proving my point. magic johnson had basic handle and pretty much did exactly what i described and is regarded as a top 3 pg.
    its a basic function.
    you are reffering to IQ and game management and not handle, they are 2 completely different things.

let me also prove my point again by saying that the entire defensive strategy any player or coach has for guarding someone is indeed determined by how well the other players shoots and what range they can shoot from.

You can't do any of those things with out handle...

word so Magic had basic handles my ? ? really though?
  • ShawnCoonery
    edited October 2011
    Options
    left handed layup...its crazy to see dudes who have a killer first step that can go to the left but cant finish with the left hand...

lmao…this might be the winner…finishing with the off hand…I know mad cats like this too…lol
  • nycest_1
    edited November 2011
    Options
    You can't do any of those things with out handle...

word so Magic had basic handles my ? ? really though?

have you ever seen magic johnson play?
    have you ever seen john stockton play?
    2 of the best that ever played pg and yet none of them had flashy handle. they were pretty basic and just knew how to space the floor and draw defenders.

anyone who learns how to play ball learns the dribbling portion before the proper shooting form. matter of fact its so simplistic most coaches don't teach handle they assume you know how to at least dribble
  • ShawnCoonery
    edited November 2011
    Options
    have you ever seen magic johnson play?
    have you ever seen john stockton play?
    2 of the best that ever played pg and yet none of them had flashy handle. they were pretty basic and just knew how to space the floor and draw defenders.

anyone who learns how to play ball learns the dribbling portion before the proper shooting form. matter of fact its so simplistic most coaches don't teach handle they assume you know how to at least dribble

who said anything about flashy handles? only the dudes trying to discredit ball handling said anything about flashy handles…flashy handles does NOT equate to being a good ball handler…. y'all ? are basic talmbout street ball handles=great handles
  • nycest_1
    edited November 2011
    Options
    who said anything about flashy handles? only the dudes trying to discredit ball handling said anything about flashy handles…flashy handles does NOT equate to being a good ball handler…. y'all ? are basic talmbout street ball handles=great handles

what the ? does that mean?
  • nycest_1
    edited November 2011
    Options

i'm not discrediting ball handling, i'm pointing out to you that ball handling is simple. the IQ and using the ball handle to run an offense are completely different things
    the players i mentioned had basic fundamental handle (and thats not an insult or discrediting, i actually gave them props for being great with such basic skill, proving that IQ beats athletecism) and still worked magic (no pun intended)

streetball moves vs chris paul/derrick rose/tim hardaway dribble is a different discussion.
    you can have better handle and not have to resort to street ball moves and extra ? .
  • ShawnCoonery
    edited November 2011
    Options
    i'm not discrediting ball handling, i'm pointing out to you that ball handling is simple. the IQ and using the ball handle to run an offense are completely different things
    the players i mentioned had basic fundamental handle (and thats not an insult or discrediting, i actually gave them props for being great with such basic skill, proving that IQ beats athletecism) and still worked magic (no pun intended)

streetball moves vs chris paul/derrick rose/tim hardaway dribble is a different discussion.
    you can have better handle and not have to resort to street ball moves and extra ? .

well just agree to disagree…I personally think elite handles are harder to develop than a consistent jimmy
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    im telling yall, that off hand is the hardest to develop. Its damn near impossible to stop a ? who can go both ways and finish with either hand
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Ballhandling is my weakest. I was 5'10 in the 9th grade so I played the 2, plus I can shoot my ass off. I only grew one more inch after that and never learned that skill. But rebouding was never a issue because I was big and could jump, just not handle that ball good :(
  • king hassan
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Co-sign like a ? on that all you need is 3-5 dribbles otherwise you are doing to much and making it easy on the defense.. because please believe at least two ? are gonna be standing around lookin at you like give me the ? ball.. word to one of those ? being me
    LOL I hate them ? . Even though I wasn't a good dribbler, I could take enough to get to the rack or pull up or hit the open man or give it up if need be. All that slow ? sucks, we trying to score not count how many dribbles before a move. And cats not moving without the ball is something else a lot of cats lack :(
  • R.D.
    edited November 2011
    Options
    No its not you just garbage,My left is sick I can do floaters,layups and dribble/drive you have to practice

And yes I am unstoppable but my jumper sucks and is inconsistent

oxymoron ?
  • Shizlansky
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Who on here live in the DFW? Cuz some of Yall talking like Yall can hoop. Im trying get some games in.
  • nycest_1
    edited November 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    im telling yall, that off hand is the hardest to develop. Its damn near impossible to stop a ? who can go both ways and finish with either hand

lebron james is a better scorer than david lee
  • R.D.
    edited November 2011
    Options
    lebron james is a better scorer than david lee

LeBron is ambidextrous
  • down2earth
    down2earth Members Posts: 953 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    vision/IQ....that's some ? you can't ever teach
  • one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Shooting word to Dan Majerle, Steve Kerr, Dale Ellis, Ray Allen, Reggie Miller and Sam Perkins.
  • nycest_1
    edited November 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    LeBron is ambidextrous

lebron cannot finish well with his offhand
  • king hassan
    edited November 2011
    Options
    False

Lebron has dunked wit his left,finished alley oops wit his left,blocked shots wit his left,did passes wit his left,reverse lay ups wit his left,regular layups wit his left
    Ayo playa, where they hooping it up on the west side now