Official ATHEIST/AGNOSTIC THREAD

Options

Comments

• b*braze
    b*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    i think its the opposite of religion... but religious folks like to call it a religion so they feel better about themselves when religion is getting roasted for being dumb.

kind of a "you do it to!!!" type thing
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    b*braze wrote: »
    i think its the opposite of religion... but religious folks like to call it a religion so they feel better about themselves when religion is getting roasted for being dumb.

kind of a "you do it to!!!" type thing

Co-sizzle
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Bro, tell me you didn't forget that all parables and Prophecy in the bible...mostly all happened to one person, but was put in the bible to remind of what happens to all of ? 's children...lol....surely you don't think Jeremiah is the only one that ? ever knew, before he put each of us trillions of humans in the ? , since the start of Mankind?

We know a "parable" when we see one, this was no damn parable.
  • VIBE
    edited July 2011
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    how confident are you that there is no ? /gods

I'm 100% confident there isn't a ? .
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    Fazeem_Blackall Members Posts: 4,216 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    Well that premise is not true either as some obviously do consider it a religion or cult, in some established religions it is a prime prinicple, my point in discussing was to spark conversation and debate on the matter which is why I thought we are all here. And agreement on status does not make or negate something from being what it is so the lack of uniformity on even what atheism is or stands for leave tons of room for interpretation. Let me ask this if you do not like a subject or the basis why bother discussing it? The classification and religious status holds even more significance when we are discussing it here in this forum because if it is not a type of religion and defintely not a race then why is it even discussed in this forum???

Why the Dodge???
  • VIBE
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Why the Dodge???

Dodge what, what do you want me to answer?
  • noirwar
    noirwar Members Posts: 514
    edited July 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    This :

Hot Fiyah me Bruhdah
  • noirwar
    noirwar Members Posts: 514
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Dude this thread is lame. It's like saying the the Anti Christ is Christ like. When you know he my show signs but you know that ninja is nare. If you want to topple religious subject matter try to be a little more ingenious in your ploy to lure the naysayers and sooths out
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Well that premise is not true either as some obviously do consider it a religion or cult, in some established religions it is a prime prinicple, my point in discussing was to spark conversation and debate on the matter which is why I thought we are all here. And agreement on status does not make or negat3e something from being what it is so the lack of uniformity on even what atheism is or stands for leave tons of room for interpretation. Let me ask this if you do not like a subject or the basis why bother discussing it? The classification and religious status holds even more significane when we are discussing it here in this forum because if it is not a type of religion and defintely not a race then why is it even discussed in this forum???
    Why the Dodge???
    Dodge what, what do you want me to answer?

LOL reading is fundamental questions were posed after a answer was given to you and you seemed to side step...
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited July 2011
    Options
    noirwar wrote: »
    Dude this thread is lame. It's like saying the the Anti Christ is Christ like. When you know he my show signs but you know that ninja is nare. If you want to topple religious subject matter try to be a little more ingenious in your ploy to lure the naysayers and sooths out
    What the hell are you talking about? Topple naysayers? The AntiChrist is Christ Like? Seriously you are taking extreme liberties with interpretations of what is being said. But I will run on your tangent and say a better comparison would be like saying that Both Chemists and Alchemists use chemicals and Both Astrologers and Astronomers study the stars , Hell even the church of Satan and The Christian Church both believe in the Devil and ? . On that Note Atheism and Theism seem to have equally devout and closed minded disciples and equally as many tangents and diverging criteria upon which they base there beliefs showing that there faith in being correct about all...
  • VIBE
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Let me ask this if you do not like a subject or the basis why bother discussing it?

what subject do I not like?

The classification and religious status holds even more significane when we are discussing it here in this forum because if it is not a type of religion and defintely not a race then why is it even discussed in this forum???

I don't know, maybe you should ask everyone as a whole and you can receive a more complete answer. I do not "discuss" Atheism, we discuss religious/spiritual things. This thread was created by you, atheism isn't really brought up much around here to be discussed anyways.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Let me ask this if you do not like a subject or the basis why bother discussing it?

what subject do I not like?

The classification and religious status holds even more significane when we are discussing it here in this forum because if it is not a type of religion and defintely not a race then why is it even discussed in this forum???

I don't know, maybe you should ask everyone as a whole and you can receive a more complete answer. I do not "discuss" Atheism, we discuss religious/spiritual things. This thread was created by you, atheism isn't really brought up much around here to be discussed anyways.
    the Irony as I see multiple threads on the topic and your presented and self inclusion as a Atheist that seems to lean more towards agnostics, here is the point in which you showed disdain about the subject discussion...
    Offensive? Nah, I just don't see the point in trying so hard to elaborate on Atheism and try to classify it. If it was a religion, then it would've already been considered it. The fact that we cannot decided whether it is or not just means it's not. I'm just trying now to see what's the point in trying to say it is a religion, does it change something or what?
    Well that premise is not true either as some obviously do consider it a religion or cult, in some established religions it is a prime prinicple, my point in discussing was to spark conversation and debate on the matter which is why I thought we are all here. And agreement on status does not make or negate something from being what it is so the lack of uniformity on even what atheism is or stands for leave tons of room for interpretation. Let me ask this if you do not like a subject or the basis why bother discussing it? The classification and religious status holds even more significane when we are discussing it here in this forum because if it is not a type of religion and defintely not a race then why is it even discussed in this forum???
    Again...
    LOL reading is fundamental questions were posed after a answer was given to you and you seemed to side step...
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Fazeem makes a good point. If Atheism is not a religion then why discuss it on this forum?
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Options
    And Step wrote: »
    Fazeem makes a good point. If Atheism is not a religion then why discuss it on this forum?

Because it's a topic inextricably linked to the general subject of religion and the more popular religions in particular.

People such as yourself have had the agenda of getting the atheism out of this forum for a long time but it's never worked and we've been the most influential group here. This board has never seen anybody get converted to any religion but it's seen multiple posters persuaded toward atheism.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Because it's a topic inextricably linked to the general subject of religion and the more popular religions in particular.

People such as yourself have had the agenda of getting the atheism out of this forum for a long time but it's never worked and we've been the most influential group here. This board has never seen anybody get converted to any religion but it's seen multiple posters persuaded toward atheism.

So Like every other religion you have and seek converts interesting...
  • VIBE
    edited July 2011
    Options
    LOL

Whatever dude, you keep on tootin' your cute little horn...
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited July 2011
    Options
    So Like every other religion you have and seek converts interesting...

That's like saying baseball is a religion because I try to get people interested in it.

Most atheists don't seem interested in sharing the good news that there's no ? , but personally I am. Religion is mass delusion, has been harmful to human progress since forever, divides families and communities over needless nonsense, wastes lots of money, makes arrogant claims about morality, and just doesn't make any sense.

And talking about it seems to bother a lot of you people, but none of you are caking off the religion hustle, so I'm not sure why you all aggy.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited July 2011
    Options
    That's like saying baseball is a religion because I try to get people interested in it.

Most atheists don't seem interested in sharing the good news that there's no ? , but personally I am. Religion is mass delusion, has been harmful to human progress since forever, divides families and communities over needless nonsense, wastes lots of money, makes arrogant claims about morality, and just doesn't make any sense.

And talking about it seems to bother a lot of you people, but none of you are caking off the religion hustle, so I'm not sure why you all aggy.

There are many sports fanatics that treat the respective sport of their obsession as a religion, I do not disagree about the divisiveness of many religions nor the hypocritcal stances many of them take at times. Hell I made a point of that throughout the thread I pointed out simple traits of Uniformity that Atheists share amongst themselves and how the trains of thought, Identification and belief are parallel to most other religions in their own ways. Ultimate point being that it should be acknowledge as a religion and that those posting in its support here validate that status with every post in the religion section of this and other sites...
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Why should it be acknowledged as a religion when it isn't one?

The only reason you want that is rhetorical. You want to be able to wave away atheist's arguments by saying "Well you're just a religious believer, too."

You don't want to confront their logic, you don't want to support YOUR claims, and ultimately you want less criticism of superstition. So you resort to this nonsense.
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Why should it be acknowledged as a religion when it isn't one?

The only reason you want that is rhetorical. You want to be able to wave away atheist's arguments by saying "Well you're just a religious believer, too."

You don't want to confront their logic, you don't want to support YOUR claims, and ultimately you want less criticism of superstition. So you resort to this nonsense.

Sounds very much like religion to me a set of beliefs shared by a group of individuals to the point of seeking converts as you kindly pointed out.

I just love the hypocritical irony of Atheists railing against Religion when in fact they themselves are one, It is kind of like the irony christians being nothing like Christ.

I Know very spiritual individuals(A few of whom are Budhists) who are technically Atheist because they do not believe in a supreme deity and I know others who just want to be contrary and like all other religions the many variations do not negate the commonality.

So I am not dismissing any argument you are making in fact I am just pointing out a sad truth and logical flaw in closed minded thought trains on both the theistic and atheistic sides of the argument.

But I understand how devoted people can be to their religious beliefs so I will not brow beat you about the denial of your belief systems status...
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited July 2011
    Options
    It's not a set of beliefs, so your argument falls apart even before it descended into trying to troll me.
  • VIBE
    edited July 2011
    Options
    There are many sports fanatics that treat the respective sport of their obsession as a religion, I do not disagree about the divisiveness of many religions nor the hypocritcal stances many of them take at times. Hell I made a point of that throughout the thread I pointed out simple traits of Uniformity that Atheists share amongst themselves and how the trains of thought, Identification and belief are parallel to most other religions in their own ways. Ultimate point being that it should be acknowledge as a religion and that those posting in its support here validate that status with every post in the religion section of this and other sites...

Heard of a phrase called "figure of speech" ?
  • Fazeem_Blackall
    edited July 2011
    Options
    It's not a set of beliefs, so your argument falls apart even before it descended into trying to troll me.
    Would the term shared belief be more fitting to you it does not change much from set of beliefs other then the getting to the fact their is a shared belief and various sects/trains of thought on the application and explanation of that belief...
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited July 2011
    Options
    Atheism is a position on ONE question. It does not include anything else that any number of atheists are involved in, have ideological connections to, or believe.

Even if 100% of the world's atheists all shared a belief in dragons, for example, this would not mean that atheism is a set of beliefs about gods and dragons.

Your desperation to classify atheism as "just another religion" is a transparent ploy which I have already discussed the intellectual dishonesty of.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited July 2011
    Options
    question two: what are your thoughts on religions like Buddhism
    go Pirates
This discussion has been closed.